12 replies to this topic

#1 kaygato

kaygato

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 21 posts

Posted 15 March 2012 - 09:44 AM

I found this petition at gopetition.com that was started last April. It looks credible to me, but so far has only 122 signatures. It ptitions Chipotle Grill to eliminate soy products, including soybean oil, from all of its food products. Please sign it so Chipotle might become be more like its slogan- "food with integrity". And pass this along to anyone who might be interested in signing it. :)

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 Juliebove

Juliebove

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,650 posts

Posted 15 March 2012 - 06:58 PM

I found this petition at gopetition.com that was started last April. It looks credible to me, but so far has only 122 signatures. It ptitions Chipotle Grill to eliminate soy products, including soybean oil, from all of its food products. Please sign it so Chipotle might become be more like its slogan- "food with integrity". And pass this along to anyone who might be interested in signing it. :)

What would they use instead?

#3 Monael

Monael

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 91 posts

Posted 15 March 2012 - 10:20 PM

I might be out of the loop but what makes soybean oil lack integrity? Sincere question, I don't get it...

#4 mushroom

mushroom

Mushroom

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,448 posts

Posted 16 March 2012 - 01:10 AM

IMHO, soy is so not good for anyone, and so many of us gluten freers do not tolerate it either, it seems such an unnecessary allergen to add to food. Sure, it may be cheap, genetic modification has seen to that, but really, why would you want to eat GMO food?? It is one of the top eight allergens and there are so many better (even affordable) choices. (Steps off soapbox)
Neroli

"Everything that can be counted does not necessarily count; everything that counts cannot necessarily be counted." - Albert Einstein

"Life is not weathering the storm; it is learning to dance in the rain"

"Whatever the question, the answer is always chocolate." Nigella Lawson

------------

Caffeine free 1973
Lactose free 1990
(Mis)diagnosed IBS, fibromyalgia '80's and '90's
Diagnosed psoriatic arthritis 2004
Self-diagnosed gluten intolerant, gluten-free Nov. 2007
Soy free March 2008
Nightshade free Feb 2009
Citric acid free June 2009
Potato starch free July 2009
(Totally) corn free Nov. 2009
Legume free March 2010
Now tolerant of lactose

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#5 CarolinaKip

CarolinaKip

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 635 posts

Posted 16 March 2012 - 06:45 AM

IMHO, soy is so not good for anyone, and so many of us gluten freers do not tolerate it either, it seems such an unnecessary allergen to add to food. Sure, it may be cheap, genetic modification has seen to that, but really, why would you want to eat GMO food?? It is one of the top eight allergens and there are so many better (even affordable) choices. (Steps off soapbox)

I agree! It wasn't until I took soy out of my diet that I had a painfree day.
How far you go in life depends on your being tender with the young, compassionate with the aged, sympathetic with the striving and tolerant of the weak and strong. Because someday in your life you will have been all of these.
George Washington Carver

Blood work positive 4/10
Endo biopsy positive 5/10
Gluten free 5/10

#6 Nadia2009

Nadia2009

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 194 posts

Posted 19 March 2012 - 04:37 PM

Done. I'll sign any day a petition against soy products. Soy is everywhere and it is not only GMO but it messes up hormones for men and women. I never have soy but I eat popcorn as one of my safe snacks and hope this other frankenstein food isn't messing up my health.
May 2009: IgG abnormal (not tested for full panel)
Sept 2009: Negative blood tests (I was on and off gluten)
Sept 21 2009: gluten free
Sept 21 2011: gluten free for 2 full years
Dec 2012: chronic fatigue and leaky gut.
Feb 2012: IgG reactions to almond, amaranth, sesame, sunflower, dairy, eggs, beans and of course gluten.
March 2012: modified GAPS diet.

#7 kaygato

kaygato

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 21 posts

Posted 20 March 2012 - 04:27 AM

What would they use instead?

"The undersigned believe that Chipotle Mexican Grill is a wonderful example to fast-food restaurants of the ability to maintain integrity and offer healthy foods; and that Chipotle Mexican Grill will continue this example by removing soybean oil from their food, and replacing it with a healthy oil that is not genetically-modified, such as extra-virgin coconut or olive oils."

That's what it says in the petition.

#8 lovegrov

lovegrov

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,537 posts

Posted 20 March 2012 - 05:14 AM

I suspect their prices would go up considerably.

richard

#9 Gemini

Gemini

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,160 posts

Posted 20 March 2012 - 10:01 AM

Done. I'll sign any day a petition against soy products. Soy is everywhere and it is not only GMO but it messes up hormones for men and women. I never have soy but I eat popcorn as one of my safe snacks and hope this other frankenstein food isn't messing up my health.

Not all soy is GMO....you have to do your homework. It also does NOT mess up hormones in all men and women. Those who are sensitive or intolerant of soy definitely should avoid it but there are many people, myself included, who can tolerate good soy products without issue. I am post menopausal..there are no hormones left to mess up! :P

As far as Chipotle Grill, never eat there and never would so I don't care about the soybean oil. If you are that concerned about it, just don't eat there. They are not going to change their oil for more expensive ones because then you would all be complaining that the prices are too high. Plus, olive oil and coconut oil would not give the same results and may change the taste of their menu items and they don't like to do that.

#10 Nadia2009

Nadia2009

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 194 posts

Posted 02 April 2012 - 11:32 AM

Not all soy is GMO....you have to do your homework. It also does NOT mess up hormones in all men and women. Those who are sensitive or intolerant of soy definitely should avoid it but there are many people, myself included, who can tolerate good soy products without issue. I am post menopausal..there are no hormones left to mess up! :P

As far as Chipotle Grill, never eat there and never would so I don't care about the soybean oil. If you are that concerned about it, just don't eat there. They are not going to change their oil for more expensive ones because then you would all be complaining that the prices are too high. Plus, olive oil and coconut oil would not give the same results and may change the taste of their menu items and they don't like to do that.

Gemini, I never eat there either but I sign the petition anyway because I hate soy products :lol:
From what I have read, soy has been promoted as a health food and pushed by vegetarians but it is far worst than corn and even wheat (for those with no intelerance). Even the organic soy isn't good...watch out maybe there is something else it can mess up for you.
May 2009: IgG abnormal (not tested for full panel)
Sept 2009: Negative blood tests (I was on and off gluten)
Sept 21 2009: gluten free
Sept 21 2011: gluten free for 2 full years
Dec 2012: chronic fatigue and leaky gut.
Feb 2012: IgG reactions to almond, amaranth, sesame, sunflower, dairy, eggs, beans and of course gluten.
March 2012: modified GAPS diet.

#11 sandsurfgirl

sandsurfgirl

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,355 posts

Posted 16 May 2012 - 04:33 PM

I was just having a discussion about GMO soy and corn with a friend of mine who has a PhD in agriculture. She said that about 70-80% of soy used in America is GMO, so in fast food the likelihood is very high that it's GMO because it's cheaper. I would guess that most fast food uses soybean oil because it's so cheap.
Lots of doctors diagnosed me with lots of things including IBS, lactose intolerance, wheat intolerance, and quite a few of them threw up their hands in total confusion.

Had GI symptoms, allergy symptoms and unexplained illness my whole life.

Jan. 2010 Diagnosed celiac at the age of 40.
Ready to get well and get on with my life!

#12 Gemini

Gemini

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,160 posts

Posted 25 May 2012 - 10:22 AM

I was just having a discussion about GMO soy and corn with a friend of mine who has a PhD in agriculture. She said that about 70-80% of soy used in America is GMO, so in fast food the likelihood is very high that it's GMO because it's cheaper. I would guess that most fast food uses soybean oil because it's so cheap.

Naturally, a fast food joint would use cheap soybean oil....that goes without saying. All fast food is derived from cheap food
products and that's why you can get a whole meal there for next to nothing, money-wise. But I eat protein bars that have non-GMO soy in them. There are companies that source their soy products they use to be non-GMO. I also am not convinced that soy is the evil food many think it is. I eat soy, not much, but it is in protein bars and a few other things I eat and soy does not adversely affect me at all. If people choose not to eat it, that's fine, but I do not buy into all the fear concerning food that's prevalent today. If something makes you feel unwell, then don't eat it but that may not be the case for many people.

#13 Gemini

Gemini

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,160 posts

Posted 25 May 2012 - 10:28 AM

Gemini, I never eat there either but I sign the petition anyway because I hate soy products :lol:
From what I have read, soy has been promoted as a health food and pushed by vegetarians but it is far worst than corn and even wheat (for those with no intelerance). Even the organic soy isn't good...watch out maybe there is something else it can mess up for you.

I can guarantee you that, soy is NOT worse for me than wheat. Without exaggeration, wheat nearly killed me but soy has never caused me any grief. Ditto for corn....you can source non-GMO corn. I know you are trying to be helpful and I appreciate your concern but I am doing pretty good these days and am not having any issues with all the autoimmune problems I have. It's the gluten and dairy that I have to stay away from.

I am post-menopausal so any hormone fluctuations/issues from soy aren't a problem....I have no hormones left anyway! It could only help. ;)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: