35 replies to this topic

#1 glutenfreeheather

glutenfreeheather

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 34 posts

Posted 31 August 2005 - 10:06 AM

I have been overweight all of my life and have found nothing to combat my weight issues. My thyroid was fine, I didn't have diabetes, and was eating normally.

February 2005 I was diagnosed with celiac and have lost 25 pounds since going gluten-free. I had lost 37 pounds prior to that on Weight Watchers on the Core Program which elimates a lot of wheat-containing foods. My GI told me that my body responded this way as a result of the malnutrition caused by my celiac. He told me that most people are very thin and underweight, but that there are more and more cases each year of overweight celiacs. He said that my body packed on the pounds to protect itself from the "poisonous gluten". I still have a long way to go until I reach my "target weight", but at least I'm on the right track!

Does anyone else know anything about this or are there any other overweight celiacs out there? Any solutions on how to lose weight while gluten-free?

Heather
Gluten Free since 2005!

Am I falling apart??...
Diagnosed with celiac disease, February 2005
Diagnosed with arthritis of the spine, Fall 2005
Diagnosed with GAD, Spring 2006
Diagnosed with hypothyroidism, Fall 2006
Diagnosed with High BP, Summer 2007

"I know the plans I have for you, declares the Lord, plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future"

Jeremiah 29:11 (NIV)

GO VOLS!!

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 redheadheather

redheadheather

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 69 posts

Posted 31 August 2005 - 10:35 AM

My son was diagnosed fairly recently, and he is slightly (like 5 lbs or so) overweight. Definitely not underweight! I'm not sure about the reasoning behind WHY this is - but, heard it's not that uncommon.

#3 watkinson

watkinson

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 211 posts

Posted 31 August 2005 - 10:48 AM

I was diagnosed as being hypothyroid. I never went on medication because sonn after i found out I was a celiac. After going gluten-free it completely corrected itself. I lost about 25 pounds without trying. I was never obese. Always a skinny child and thin teenager and young adult. It wasn't until I started to get really sick that the pounds came on. I couldn't understand how someone who didn't eat that much and who was vommiting almost daily and who had chronic diarreah could possibly be overweight!! <_< But my doctor explained it to me like yours did. He said that because of the terrible malnutrition, that my body went into starvation mode. hanging on to every ounce of fat it could.

I have also read many articles about how common this is becoming in celiacs. I believe that because of the way doctors were traditionally taught (that celiacs have to be skinny) I think that overwieght people have a harder time being diagnosed.

Wendy

#4 ianm

ianm

Metal God

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 849 posts

Posted 31 August 2005 - 05:09 PM

I used to be obese but not anymore. Once I went gluten-free the weight came off pretty easy. I cannot eat any starchy carbs, refined sugar and must really watch my portions. I also exercise a lot, walking, bicycling and weight lifting.
If all the world is indeed a stage and we are merely players then will someone give me the script because I have no f!@#$%^ clue as to what is going on!

What does not kill you makes you stronger.
Nobody cares about losers and quitters never win. If you fail with the cowards then what's the message you send?
Can't get it right, no matter what I do. Might as well be me and keep fu@$ing up for you. - Brian Thomas (Halloween, the greatest metal band ever!)

Ian Moore. Self diagnosed at 36 because the doctors were clueless.
Started low-carb diet early 2004, felt better but not totally gluten-free. Went 100% gluten-free early 2005 and life has never been better.

#5 pacanuck

pacanuck

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 03 September 2005 - 05:47 AM

I fit into this category as well. The gluten-free diet is healthier - that's a good start - I have always had better results in losing weight with exercise (as is the norm). I joined curves - but whatever works is better than not working it at all. I think consistancy is the key...as it is with anything.

Good luck!!

#6 tarnalberry

tarnalberry

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,542 posts

Posted 03 September 2005 - 07:08 AM

Yep, I've dealt with trying to lose weight or keep it off. Exercise and portion control. Even "eating normally" can be eating more calories than YOUR body needs if you're not very aware. If I don't calorie count, I can find myself with some "calorie creep" in my diet, even if I'm still eating normally. Add to that the fact that a lot of us need fewer calories than the standard (for me to maintain, without exercise, I need around 1600 a day - 2000 would be a BAD idea for my waistline! ;-) But exercise is also important for me for keeping the weight off.

Slow and stead works, even if it's really really frustrating! ;-)
Tiffany aka "Have I Mentioned Chocolate Lately?"
Inconclusive Blood Tests, Positive Dietary Results, No Endoscopy
G.F. - September 2003; C.F. - July 2004
Hiker, Yoga Teacher, Engineer, Painter, Be-er of Me
Bellevue, WA

#7 nettiebeads

nettiebeads

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 820 posts

Posted 04 September 2005 - 05:50 PM

I have been overweight all of my life and have found nothing to combat my weight issues.  My thyroid was fine, I didn't have diabetes, and was eating normally. 

February 2005 I was diagnosed with celiac and have lost 25 pounds since going gluten-free.  I had lost 37 pounds prior to that on Weight Watchers on the Core Program which elimates a lot of wheat-containing foods.  My GI told me that my body responded this way as a result of the malnutrition caused by my celiac.  He told me that most people are very thin and underweight, but that there are more and more cases each year of overweight celiacs.  He said that my body packed on the pounds to protect itself from the "poisonous gluten". I still have a long way to go until I reach my "target weight", but at least I'm on the right track!

Does anyone else know anything about this or are there any other overweight celiacs out there?  Any solutions on how to lose weight while gluten-free?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yep, I'm overweight too (40+lbs), and don't much like it. I don't know if the difficulty in getting it off is the celiac disease, over 45, or what. I have fought to lose weight, then I get SOOOO hungry that I devour everything and put it back on :( . I keep swearing that I'll do it this time, but I've been swearing that for 5 years now. I do know that I have to eat more grams of protein than a normal diet (I think that's 50 grams/day for an average 2000 cal. diet) and that I have to keep the calorie count down to about 1600. I think my metabolism is really really slow. I try to excersize, but when I do too much the fatigue sets in and I get sick. But I have at least toned up a lot this year, replacing some of the fat with muscle, so I guess I'll have to give myself credit for that.
gluten-free since Oct 1996

#8 morrigan

morrigan

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 17 September 2005 - 05:47 PM

I was diagnosed as being hypothyroid.  I never went on medication because sonn after i found out I was a celiac.  After going gluten-free it completely corrected itself.  I lost about 25 pounds without trying.  I was never obese.  Always a skinny child and thin teenager and young adult.  It wasn't until I started to get really sick that the pounds came on.  I couldn't understand how someone who didn't eat that much and who was vommiting almost daily and who had chronic diarreah could possibly be overweight!!  <_<  But my doctor explained it to me like yours did.  He said that because of the terrible malnutrition, that my body went into starvation mode.  hanging on to every ounce of fat it could. 

I have also read many articles about how common this is becoming in celiacs.  I believe that because of the way doctors were traditionally taught (that celiacs have to be skinny) I think that overwieght people have a harder time being diagnosed. 

Wendy

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

This is the reason it took so long for me to be diagnosed. Your story sounds almost exactly like what happened to me. In the last week since I have been gluten-free I have lost five pounds. I am hoping to get back to my regular weight again.
:unsure:

#9 Kelly Langenfeld

Kelly Langenfeld

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 32 posts

Posted 22 September 2005 - 09:38 AM

I have steadily gained weight since my Feb., 2005 diagnosis of celiac. I have never been thin, but more on the shapely side of healthy. I've gained about 20 lbs. since my diagnosis, and am miserable about it. I'm 29 yrs old, and I don't know if I should attribute this to eating gluten-free or my metabolism slowing down. I initially thought that the only good thing that would come of my diagnosis was weight loss, boy what a surprise! When I had my labs and bone density tests, I wasn't found to be lacking any vitamin, mineral, or nutrient. All of my labs (besides antibodies) were within normal limits.
I'm doing a great job with the gluten-free diet, my antibodies and 2nd EGD biopsies are all normal, but I seem to be continuing to gain. My activity patterns haven't changed much. However, I clearly find it more difficult to be satisfied on the gluten-free diet eating normal portion sizes of the foods that I like. I also find myself craving protein like I never did before. As a result of all of the meat that I was eating, my cholesterol went up over 100 points, clearly to an unhealthy range.
How long did it take for other people's bodies to regulate with weight gain/loss?

I think that despite my normal body weight, maybe my body wasn't absorbing all of the calories that I was ingesting, and now that my intestines are healed, I'm actually metabolizing everything that I'm ingesting.

Obiously, increase my exercise, decrease my portions, watch what I'm eating.

Any other suggestions?

Thanks,
Kelly :)

#10 bluelotus

bluelotus

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 498 posts

Posted 22 September 2005 - 10:07 AM

I have celiac and so does my mother (her diagnosis via biopsy spurred my desire to get tested). The two of us are a normal weight. However, most studies show that having only one blood relative (first order - parent or full sib), you have a 4-10% chance of developing celiac disease.....not very high to me. I have always wondered if my dad's side has it as well - they have terrible gas on that side of the family and everyone is very obese (40-100lbs overweight). I know that my dad (years ago and prior to their divorce) mentioned to my mom that he might have a sensitivity to barley since beer caused him discomfort. However, no one on that side wants to get tested.....likely b/c they fear the results. It is so frustrating ....... A
baby was recently born on that side of the family and I have never seen such a fussy baby in my life. She cried all the time and her parents called her "gassy". I wonder if my aunt's milk contained gluten or some other allergen or irritant that bothered the baby's system.
The temple bell stops
but the sound keeps coming
out of the flowers
-Zen Haiku Master Basho

#11 marjoy

marjoy

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 22 September 2005 - 10:25 AM

Hello Just joined this site. Have been diagnosed 2 years. Gained weight after eating too many gluten-free products (snacks, etc). Felt deprived, so bought all gluten-free products in sight. Does anyone know if the Diet Protein Drinks are gluten-free? I need a jump start.

#12 Heather22

Heather22

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 95 posts

Posted 22 September 2005 - 10:43 AM

Hi Kelly!

Your story sounds exactly like mine. I was diagnosed 3 years ago and have gained about 35 lbs. After going gluten free, nothing The gluten free diet wasn't working for me because I still felt like crap--bloated, gasy, D, unhappy.
So, I tried the Specific carbohydrate diet (SCD) and I feel amazing! No bloating, no gas, lots of energy and 9 lbs lighter in one week. I don't think that was fat loss, but perhaps weight from all the bloating and undigested food. I STRONGLY recommend it!!!! It's the only thing that has worked for me. It is really strict, but definitely worth it!

Check out the SCD thread.

Good luck!
Heather : )

#13 Guest_nini_*

Guest_nini_*
  • Guests

Posted 22 September 2005 - 01:27 PM

I was very skinny as a child, but as an adult I couldn't lose weight no matter what diet I tried, until I was dx with celiac and went gluten-free. I have since lost over 80 pounds and the only thing I am doing differently is eating gluten-free.

#14 Kelly Langenfeld

Kelly Langenfeld

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 32 posts

Posted 23 September 2005 - 02:45 AM

"Hi Kelly!
Your story sounds exactly like mine. I was diagnosed 3 years ago and have gained about 35 lbs. After going gluten free, nothing The gluten free diet wasn't working for me because I still felt like crap--bloated, gasy, D, unhappy.
So, I tried the Specific carbohydrate diet (SCD) and I feel amazing! No bloating, no gas, lots of energy and 9 lbs lighter in one week. I don't think that was fat loss, but perhaps weight from all the bloating and undigested food. I STRONGLY recommend it!!!! It's the only thing that has worked for me. It is really strict, but definitely worth it!
Check out the SCD thread.
Good luck!
Heather : ) "

Heather,
Can you recommend sites or locations to research the specific carbohydrate diet? I'm intrigued about this, however I don't know if I could honestly tolerate more restrictions. Nothing resulted in a search for SCD on this message board.
--Kelly

#15 Guest_gfinnebraska_*

Guest_gfinnebraska_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 September 2005 - 05:35 AM

There is an SCD thread going on right now... There are quite a few of us on the SCD and having great results. I am a celiac gainer... if I eat gluten, I can pack on 10 lbs. over night. NOT comfortable or fun. The SCD has done wonders for me. :) I have lost 40 lbs. since March, and continue to lose. I will provide the link to our thread:

http://www.glutenfre...wtopic=5437&hl=

Hope you find the answers you are looking for!! :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: