9 replies to this topic

#1 grodeylocks

grodeylocks

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 62 posts

Posted 15 March 2012 - 03:35 PM

So I was just wondering. How likely is it that I can get glutened from kissing a girl who has not been eating or drinking recently. Is it possible to get it from her lip stick or make up. I would think that the amount of exposure I would get would be far below the recommended daily allowance of gluten exposure.

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 eatmeat4good

eatmeat4good

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,699 posts

Posted 15 March 2012 - 04:05 PM

There are a few threads on kissing here on celiac.com. put kissing in the search.
I have been glutened by kissing someone after they ate gluten.
Most people recommend gluten eaters brush before kissing Celiac partners.
You have to decide.
I didn't really believe kissing could gluten me.
I was rewarded with a huge migraine headache and nausea and D that lasted 2 days.
I am a believer now. I call it the Kiss of Death now.
Healing is a matter of time, but it is sometimes also a matter of opportunity.
--Hippocrates

#3 Marilyn R

Marilyn R

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,483 posts

Posted 15 March 2012 - 04:43 PM

My dp's friend stopped by tonight. He has torette's syndrome and likes to drink beer. DP and I are about the only people that treat him like normal, everyone else thinks he's a freak.

I let Denny kiss me on the face, we have big hugs and big kisses, but I know they're just planted on my cheeks. (I'm careful about letting him come close to my mucous membrane though.) Your mouth is a mucus membrane. :ph34r: You have to be beware.
Positive improvement from elimination diet. Mother dx'd by Mayo Clinic in late 1980s. Negative blood tests and Upper & Lower GI biopsy. Parathyroidectomy 12/09. Recurring high calcium level 4/10. Gluten-free 4/10. Soy & Dairy Free 6/10. Corn free 7/10. Grain free except rice 8/10. Legume free 6/11. Fighting the battle of the battle within myself, and I'm going to win!

As of 2/12, tolerating dairy, corn, legumes and some soy, but I limit soy to tamari sauce or modest soy additives. Won't ever try quinoa again!

Discoid Lupus from skin biopsy 2011, discovered 2/12 when picking up medical records. Systemic Lupus Dx 6/12. Shingles 10/12.

#4 Marilyn R

Marilyn R

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,483 posts

Posted 16 March 2012 - 04:38 PM

I remember that this topic was covered in "Celiac Disease: The Unknown Epidemic" by Dr. Peter Green. I'm fairly certain he wrote that he felt it was unlikely to ingest enough gluten from a kiss, but acknowledged that lipstick is one of the most likely cosmetics to be ingested. That book was pretty good, by the way.
Positive improvement from elimination diet. Mother dx'd by Mayo Clinic in late 1980s. Negative blood tests and Upper & Lower GI biopsy. Parathyroidectomy 12/09. Recurring high calcium level 4/10. Gluten-free 4/10. Soy & Dairy Free 6/10. Corn free 7/10. Grain free except rice 8/10. Legume free 6/11. Fighting the battle of the battle within myself, and I'm going to win!

As of 2/12, tolerating dairy, corn, legumes and some soy, but I limit soy to tamari sauce or modest soy additives. Won't ever try quinoa again!

Discoid Lupus from skin biopsy 2011, discovered 2/12 when picking up medical records. Systemic Lupus Dx 6/12. Shingles 10/12.

#5 eatmeat4good

eatmeat4good

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,699 posts

Posted 16 March 2012 - 05:10 PM

I read that too.
I guess it depends on how serious the kiss is. :rolleyes:
And of course how much gluten remains in the kisser. ;)
Healing is a matter of time, but it is sometimes also a matter of opportunity.
--Hippocrates

#6 Lisa

Lisa

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,799 posts

Posted 16 March 2012 - 05:18 PM

Lipstick would be more valid, rather that the last meal (unless it was immediate or really passionate)....IMHO :rolleyes:
Lisa

Gluten Free - August 15, 2004

"Not all who wander are lost" - JRR Tolkien

#7 grodeylocks

grodeylocks

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 62 posts

Posted 17 March 2012 - 01:06 AM

Yea it makes a lot more sense. If you consider how mch gluten is in an ounce of bread and then realize how much is in a few milligrams of lipstick/past ingested food, it does not come close to the upper tolerance levels

#8 Marilyn R

Marilyn R

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,483 posts

Posted 17 March 2012 - 06:46 PM

Yea it makes a lot more sense. If you consider how mch gluten is in an ounce of bread and then realize how much is in a few milligrams of lipstick/past ingested food, it does not come close to the upper tolerance levels

If you find a girl you want to kiss more than once, buy her Merle Norman lipstick, or better yet get her a gift certificate and they'll pick the right shade of lipstick. It's gluten-free.

#9 mamaupupup

mamaupupup

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 284 posts

Posted 17 March 2012 - 08:51 PM

I have twin 5 year old girls who are likely to be confirmed Celiac this week. Thank goodness someone mentioned lipstick: 5 year olds have a way of going haywire with lipstick application. I've spent HOURS trying to find play makeup which is gluten free...and have now spent a CHUNK of money on adult lipstick to compensate for the fact that I'll have to clear out their play makeup this week! Poor kiddos: growing up so fast with a real illness...now real makeup...crazy! BTW I bought the 100% pure lip glosses :)

Big thanks for all the great discussions you all!

#10 grodeylocks

grodeylocks

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 62 posts

Posted 18 March 2012 - 02:03 AM

Yea I just figured out I was celiac three months ago. I am still nowhere near normal.

I have twin 5 year old girls who are likely to be confirmed Celiac this week. Thank goodness someone mentioned lipstick: 5 year olds have a way of going haywire with lipstick application. I've spent HOURS trying to find play makeup which is gluten free...and have now spent a CHUNK of money on adult lipstick to compensate for the fact that I'll have to clear out their play makeup this week! Poor kiddos: growing up so fast with a real illness...now real makeup...crazy! BTW I bought the 100% pure lip glosses :)

Big thanks for all the great discussions you all!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: