This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Should I Call Doctor?

GFSAHmom

GFSAHmom Rookie

My son is 2.5 he's fine other than diarreah for 5 days staright. He's going 2-3 times a day and it's straight liquid. His main symptom before being diagnosed was Constipation though. can this be from Gluten? If I called the GI dr what would he tell me to do? Make sure he's drinking (check) Pedialite(check) He's eating totally normal (check) No fever, no cold sweats, no irritability. What would you do? Is this a bug or gluten reaction? If it's a gluten reaction, How long should the diarreah last? thanks

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

kareng Grand Master

Could be a bug, could be a glutening. Hard to know. I know one of my boys, even now at 16, gets a stomach virus, he feels fine & eats fine but has some diarhea for a few days. The true test of being well - hydrated is peeing. He isn't a Celiac. Also, is he getting enough fiber to form stools? Something to consider.

If he is well hydrated, a doc will likely tell you to give it another week of normal diet, glutening or virus.

Lisa Mentor

We are not doctors. But, yes, keep him well hydrated until you can make an appointment for him.

kareng Grand Master

We are not doctors. I would hydrate your child as best as can be and watch him closely. Five days of liquid stools is not good. Do you have a medical phone line you can call?

Sorry. I missed his age. I guess I thought he was a bit older. I would call the pediatrician. He is pretty young. You would want a doctor to evaluate if he is dehydrated, etc.

GFSAHmom Rookie

I dont know of any Numbers to call as far as hotlines. My son is drinking alot and peeing pretty normal. What I am thinking of giving him cream of rice for breakfast and some toast. He ate corn and meatloaf for dinner. He's waking up 3 times a night for a drink fill up and peeing on the potty each time he does. He went along time today without peeing but we were playing outside all day. I just hate to waste to run him to the dr for them to tell me what to do exactly what i'm already doing. I'm also concerned because he's lost weight over the last 5 days. That really bothers me. Tomorrow i'm going to step up the calories and fiber! Seems like he's fine until he eats, then it's diarreah right away! and lots of gas!

GFSAHmom Rookie

I'll call his Ped in the morning and see what the nurse says to do. I don't believe he's dehydrated but he is losing weight.

Lisa Mentor

I'll call his Ped in the morning and see what the nurse says to do. I don't believe he's dehydrated but he is losing weight.

:) That's probably a good thing. Let us know.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

kareng Grand Master

I dont know of any Numbers to call as far as hotlines. My son is drinking alot and peeing pretty normal. What I am thinking of giving him cream of rice for breakfast and some toast. He ate corn and meatloaf for dinner. He's waking up 3 times a night for a drink fill up and peeing on the potty each time he does. He went along time today without peeing but we were playing outside all day. I just hate to waste to run him to the dr for them to tell me what to do exactly what i'm already doing. I'm also concerned because he's lost weight over the last 5 days. That really bothers me. Tomorrow i'm going to step up the calories and fiber! Seems like he's fine until he eats, then it's diarreah right away! and lots of gas!

Ok. This is a little more info. Definetly go in for a sick child visit tomorrow. At the least, they will send you home with nothing but....it will now be on record. If he isn't better in a few more days, you have " proof". Makes them take it more seriously. Hope the little dude is OK.

mamaupupup Contributor

Thinking of you and your little one!

mommida Enthusiast

Start any kind of probiotic for his gut.

5 days of "D" his tummy balance is surely out of sorts. BRAT diet. Bananas, rice, applesuace, and gluten free toast. Any type of electrolyte drinks (watch out for too high of sugar level but I don't believe in articial sugar (aspartme at all). Probiotics any way you can start them like yogurt or chew tabs for kids. (could help long term for constipation too)

Dehydration happens fast, and honestly you know it when you see it. sunken eyes, chapped lips, no tears, and very lethargic. Keeping track of the last time they urinated is also important, but when the visuals cues are there I really don't care the last time they urinated so much.

There are some none invasive tests that can be done. Like stool testing for parasites.

Archived