21 replies to this topic

#1 BeFree

BeFree

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 174 posts

Posted 16 March 2012 - 09:52 AM

Hello all, I'll be starting a new job soon where I'll be needing to leave for work very early in the morning, and I want a quick, healthy, not messy, on-the-go breakfast I can eat in the car. The packaged gluten-free cereal bars would work, but they are SO EXPENSIVE. Any other ideas?
Gluten-Free as of September 2011

Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits...it says 'Oooooooo'.
Peter, those are Cheerios.

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 love2travel

love2travel

Čeznem da se u Hrvatskoj!

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,847 posts

Posted 16 March 2012 - 10:09 AM

- How about making (or buying) delicious crackers or even focaccia bread and take along some great cheese?
- Hard boiled eggs
- Homemade cereal bars??
- Dried fruit and nuts (even fruit leather - easy to make)
- Homemade biscuits, scones, muffins, cupcakes, cookies, biscotti, brownies
<p>Confirmed celiac disease February 2011 from biopsies. Strictly gluten free March 18 2011.Diagnosed with fibromyalgia April 13 2011.3 herniated discs, myofascial pain syndrome, IT band syndrome, 2 rotator cuff injuries - from an accident Dec. 07 - resulting in chronic pain ever since. Degenerative disc disease.Osteoarthritis in back and hips.Chronic insomnia mostly due to chronic pain.Aspartame free May 2011.

When our lives are squeezed by pressure and pain, what comes out is what is inside.

#3 RiceGuy

RiceGuy

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,520 posts

Posted 16 March 2012 - 10:29 AM

When it comes to making any meal economical, I'd say make it yourself from scratch. There are plenty of recipes for protein bars and other things posted on the board, and in the recipe section of Celiac.com. And, if a hot breakfast would be of interest to you, I suppose a thermos would keep a soup or protein shake hot for awhile.

To save time, these things could be prepared on the weekend, and stored in the fridge or freezer.
A spherical meteorite 10 km in diameter traveling at 20 km/s has the kinetic energy equal to the calories in 550,000,000,000,000,000 Twinkies.

#4 Jetamio

Jetamio

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 49 posts

Posted 16 March 2012 - 10:35 AM

My big thing since going gluten-free is smoothies. They seem to really agree with my body right now. Banana, frozen berries or other fruit, unsweetened almond milk, blend in a Magic Bullet, pour in a travel cup and go. Sometimes I add a little nut butter for extra protein or some safe protein powder. There are lots of recipes out there to play with too.
Dairy free since 2010
Gluten free 2/2012 after off the charts positive blood test
Soy and MSG sensitive
Have opted not to biopsy right now.

#5 BeFree

BeFree

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 174 posts

Posted 16 March 2012 - 05:53 PM

Thanks, those are good ideas. How about those Carnation Instant Breakfast Drinks? I used to like those a lot. Are those safe?

#6 sariesue

sariesue

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 238 posts

Posted 16 March 2012 - 07:52 PM

Thanks, those are good ideas. How about those Carnation Instant Breakfast Drinks? I used to like those a lot. Are those safe?

The chocolate packets are definetly NOT safe. You may want to research the ingredients in the vanilla ones.

#7 BeFree

BeFree

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 174 posts

Posted 17 March 2012 - 05:55 AM

The chocolate packets are definetly NOT safe. You may want to research the ingredients in the vanilla ones.

OK thanks for the heads up, vanilla was my favorite one anyway, *fingers crossed*

#8 Ryniev

Ryniev

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 47 posts

Posted 17 March 2012 - 06:32 AM

I have a vanilla gluten-free protein mix and I add spinich, mango, blueberries, raspberries and pineapple chunks and drink it in the car. I also made homeade gluten-free peanut butter granola (if you can tolerate gluten-free oats) and add that to vanilla yogurt with blueberries and cinnamon. I'm not a big bread eater but I keep a loaf of Rudi's or Udi's on hand and make peanut butter toast. If I'm really running late I take a Lara bar and a piece of fruit.

The Lara bars are pricey and I just go on the computer to see if I could google a recipe for homeade ones.

And score! http://www.damyhealt...made-lara-bars/

#9 kareng

kareng

HO! HO! HO!

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,318 posts

Posted 17 March 2012 - 07:15 AM

Nature valley makes an almond crunch bar that is gluten-free. It sometimes goes on sale just like the other ones do.

I like to take sliced cheese and melt it on corn tortillas in the microwave, then roll or fold. Make a mix of nuts, seeds, raisins, craisins, etc. Put some in a cup in your car cup holder.

If you make some muffins ahead & keep in the freezer, just leave one out the night before or microwave a frozen one. You could make any kind of sandwich the night before & grab it in the morning. I like PB&J for breakfast. You could toast the bread and make egg salad if you like that. I got a microwave egg cooker. It's for making an egg McMuffin type thing. You can put an egg and a piece of bacon or ham in it & it comes out round and holds together for a sandwich. I like it best just an egg and a bit of shredded Parm,

You might need to tweak your definition of breakfast. :)

santa-dance.gif

Once again, we come to the Holiday Season, a deeply religious time that each of us observes, in his own way, by going to the mall of his choice. - Dave Barry

“The main reason Santa is so jolly is because he knows where all the bad girls live.”  - George Carlin

“One can never have enough socks," said Dumbledore. "Another Christmas has come and gone and I didn't get a single pair. People will insist on giving me books.”  - J.K. Rowling, Harry Potter and The Sorcerer's Stone

#10 BeFree

BeFree

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 174 posts

Posted 17 March 2012 - 10:20 AM

Question: Do CARNATION INSTANT BREAKFAST ESSENTIALS products contain gluten?
Answer:
For our Powders, the only variety containing gluten is Classic Chocolate Malt, which has wheat flour and barley extracts. All other Powder varieties do not contain gluten.

This is the info they had as of 2009. I'll check the ingredients at the store, but so far it looks promising.

#11 BeFree

BeFree

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 174 posts

Posted 18 March 2012 - 03:14 AM

"Nature valley makes an almond crunch bar that is gluten-free. It sometimes goes on sale just like the other ones do."

Thanks for that info! NV Bars are what I used to eat for breakfast everyday. I love everyone's creative ideas like hard-boiled eggs (I never would have thought of that!), but I also need something shelf-stable that I can just grab and go, in case I have been too busy to cook or prepare anything in advance.

#12 kareng

kareng

HO! HO! HO!

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,318 posts

Posted 18 March 2012 - 05:15 AM

"Nature valley makes an almond crunch bar that is gluten-free. It sometimes goes on sale just like the other ones do."

Thanks for that info! NV Bars are what I used to eat for breakfast everyday. I love everyone's creative ideas like hard-boiled eggs (I never would have thought of that!), but I also need something shelf-stable that I can just grab and go, in case I have been too busy to cook or prepare anything in advance.

Just the ones that say gluten-free......not the ones with the oats! The oats are not gluten-free!

Just want to make sure I was clear. :)

santa-dance.gif

Once again, we come to the Holiday Season, a deeply religious time that each of us observes, in his own way, by going to the mall of his choice. - Dave Barry

“The main reason Santa is so jolly is because he knows where all the bad girls live.”  - George Carlin

“One can never have enough socks," said Dumbledore. "Another Christmas has come and gone and I didn't get a single pair. People will insist on giving me books.”  - J.K. Rowling, Harry Potter and The Sorcerer's Stone

#13 lpellegr

lpellegr

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 779 posts

Posted 18 March 2012 - 10:44 AM

Most things we can suggest for breakfast might be too messy to eat in the car but if you can wait until you get to work, that might give you more options. When I used to commute by train, I would drink tea out of my thermos and eat cereal and raisins out of a bag (no milk, just dry cereal, Cheerios being my staple). Combining Rice Chex, nuts, and raisins would make something you can eat out of a cup in the cupholder and would have protein and fiber to get you through the morning. Homemade Chex mix would also work. You could make up several daily servings in plastic bags on the weekend, then grab one each day and dump it into your traveling cup. No refrigeration or cooking required before heading out the door. Any kind of sandwich you can make would also work. If you have time to toast a frozen waffle and smear it with cream cheese, that will also hold you.
Lee

I never liked bread anyway.....

#14 Kelleybean

Kelleybean

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 263 posts

Posted 18 March 2012 - 12:09 PM

You can definitely make your own Lara bars - takes just a few minutes in the food processor and they are amazing! Like someone else suggested, I also make my own muffins (I use the recipes from Elana's pantry) and freeze them, then throw them in the microwave on the defrost setting in the morning. You can also bake eggs in a muffin tin. Maybe homemade granola with gluten free oats?

#15 BeFree

BeFree

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 174 posts

Posted 18 March 2012 - 01:04 PM

So back from the store, here's the report:

All Carnation drinks have wheat starch listed as the LAST ingredient. GRRRRRR!
I looked at Boost drinks, they are gluten-free but they have soy protein. Can't have soy.

Nature Valley Almond Roast bars have soy in them, darn-it.

For this week I've settled on ham and cheese rolled into corn tortillas, cut up into bites so I can eat it easily in the car. Tasty, cheap, filling, and it will give me the protein I need to have the energy to start my new job. Thanks for all the ideas and I'll file them away in my new gluten-free recipe box! :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: