This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

5 Month Withdrawel Anyone Been Fatigued This Long?

imthedude

gluten withdrawel fatigue   

3 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

imthedude Newbie

Hi Forum I wanted to ask you all , did any of you have gluten withdrawel symptoms and how long did they last ? I have been gluten and dairy free for 5 months and I have had the most horrible fatigue deppression and anxiety that hasnt lifted once since beginning the "new diet " . I used to bodybuild before this diet but am now a couch veggie Im at a loss and am getting 1000 $ in lab tests done to check every possible venue so I can have some hope that my energy will return. I am a 24 year old male that has had to stop working lifting weights and even going to the movies, and i just dont understand whats happening . I have heard withdrawel can last up to 2 years Id be fine with that but i just want to know if theres light at the end of the tunnel . i have never had energy problems before and any insight that you could share id love to hear it . thanks guys Love Peace .

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

mamaw Community Regular

Make sure docs are checking your thyroid & for adrenal fatigue... Adrenal fatigue is nasty...ANd yes, it can take some years & years to recover from gluten for some...

Another would be to check to see if you are getting CC from gluten somewhere or hidden gluten...ie:pet food, scrambled eggs at a restaurant, marinades & such..cooking utensils.....

Check your ferritin, iron levels, B-12, vit D...total lipid panel....

hope you feel better soon....

blessings

mamaw

Lisa Mentor

I'm not sure that gluten withdrawal could last up to two years, but healing can.

You may have some underlying issues, but keeping a food or intake journal would be the simplest to eliminate possible unknown gluten.

And along with what mamaw mentioned, check your meds, vitamins, lotions, shampoo, shared kitchen equipment.....ANY thing that can find it's way into your mouth.

You might already know this, but it's good to recheck your *routine* from time to time. B)

eatmeat4good Enthusiast

Every time I thought I was hitting a plateau in healing and just not getting better, I eventually found a source of gluten CC. The last time, I started feeling so tired and fatigued after work...just like when this all hit. I had to go to bed right after eating. Well, after several weeks of fatigue, I realized I had been warming my tea in a microwave that others used and I wasn't covering it. The microwave is regularly cleaned so I wasn't really worried. But one day after warming water...I saw flecks in the water...uh oh...there was my gluten source. I cleared up very quickly once I got rid of that source of CC. I agree with the above posters suggestions, vitamin deficiencies, but most of all, look for ways you might be getting glutened.

Handing out dog treats glutened me. Check everything.

Your couch where you ate pizza for years...might have gluten and it might need vacuuming or cleaning.

Do you live with gluten eaters? This is a very difficult thing to manage and there are countless ways to get glutened. Re-check everything. Another time I got glutened it was my vitamins...it was right there on the label...wheat...omg! How could I have missed it? Well, I had been through everything in the house, but it was while I was still sick and fatigued and brain fogged so I missed a few things.

I hope you get better soon.

Marilyn R Community Regular

I'm guessing they'll check your B-12 levels too, that's important, since anemia can cause fatigue.

I just got diagnosed with Lupus, but that's more common with women than men, and I'm twice your age. I still make myself exercise, even if it's just doing squats or push ups, leg lifts, or going for a bike ride or a walk, or taking the stairs instead of the elevator.

My neurologist says "Use it or lose it" and "Exercise helps everything". It's hard to get going, but when the going gets tough, you have to be tough and challenge yourself. Coping with the food issues gets easier with time. There's so much to absorb at first and it can be overwhelming. Don't lose sight of what's important to you. Your health is number one. Exercise is good, you can't wait until you feel like doing it again, you just need to work it in somehow! Evem if you don't feel like exercising. (You can do squats while brushing your teeth by the way, haven't tried lunges, but I have a small bathroom.)

Kansas Rookie

I felt like I was a "slow" in healing. Once I stopped dairy and soy,(as well as gluten)everything improved, including energy,sleep,skin,etc. I feel so much better.

Skylark Collaborator

I'd be willing to bet you're eating something new to which you are sensitive or allergic, like tapioca starch or undeclared sulfites in the potato starch and other starches used in gluten-free bread. Try eliminating all gluten-free specialty foods and eating only foods you were eating when you felt well. It will probably be meat, eggs, fruits, and veggies, and maybe potatoes or rice.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

imthedude Newbie

thanks all this helps, Yeah I dont think its cc my whole family went gluten-free df when i did . im getting lab tests done to see if its thyroid, allergies, anemia, related or maybe a combo of them . i worked out today which was good . its just funny that i went from lots of energy eating gluten and dairy to just dead in my tracks tired . felt great the first 3 days of being gluten-free df but then it just hit me , i suspect it is either anemia or more allergies . I have read on this site of people being in withdrawel for more than 6 months but the threads were rare to read . really hope it isnt thyroid or adrenal fatigue i have read about that and it seems like no one ever gets better from it there just tired there whole lives .

Bubba's Mom Enthusiast

My first thought was..maybe you have an additional intolerance? Many of us do.

I also recommend going to a whole foods..not gluten-free produced versions of foods, until you know you can digest them well.

Keep a log of everything you eat..and note any symptoms. Most food reactions are delayed, so having a way to figure out what you might be sensitive to can be very helpful. I found that soy and MSG gave me trouble by doing this. You could react to just about anything. We are all different.

Sometimes taking a digestive enzyme supplement can help? If you aren't producing enough on your own, your body may be struggling to digest your foods, which will leave you feeling tired.

beebs Enthusiast

Yeah, it could be something else. Don't forget that we have a higher chance of other autoimmune diseases as well. I have 3 at the moment, so I never lost the fatigue/exhausting at all.

Marilyn R Community Regular

thanks all this helps, Yeah I dont think its cc my whole family went gluten-free df when i did . im getting lab tests done to see if its thyroid, allergies, anemia, related or maybe a combo of them . i worked out today which was good . its just funny that i went from lots of energy eating gluten and dairy to just dead in my tracks tired . felt great the first 3 days of being gluten-free df but then it just hit me , i suspect it is either anemia or more allergies . I have read on this site of people being in withdrawel for more than 6 months but the threads were rare to read . really hope it isnt thyroid or adrenal fatigue i have read about that and it seems like no one ever gets better from it there just tired there whole lives .

I went through a period where I was practically manic before the gluten crash, and have wondered if anyone else was like that. I had a full time, well paying job, was an avid gardener, grew several rare plants, and invested $10,000 in a mobile mini donut machine because I was bored. I crashed, only the heartiest of the plants survived, I'm still working and own a donut machine that I should donate to the Boy Scouts or put on E-Bay. :P

imthedude Newbie

Yeah, it could be something else. Don't forget that we have a higher chance of other autoimmune diseases as well. I have 3 at the moment, so I never lost the fatigue/exhausting at all.

hey beebs what are your 3 if you dont mind me asking . how did you come to find you had them? hope you feel better .

Archived