arrowShare this page:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

Ads by Google:
Celiac.com Sponsor:                                    

Photo
- - - - -

Potential Great News For Fellow Type Ones....

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 elye

elye

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,062 posts

Posted 19 March 2012 - 08:10 AM

Since celiac disease/gluten intolerance is often present in those who are type one diabetic, and knowing that there are a number of other type one members here, I thought I would share this bit of great scientific news. It sounds promising! :)

http://in.news.yahoo...-104918533.html
Emily

diagnosed type one diabetic 1973
diagnosed celiac winter 2005
diagnosed hypothyroid spring 2006

But healthy and happy! Posted Image

11 year-old Son had negative blood panel, but went on gluten-free diet of his own volition to see if his concentration would improve, his temper abate, and his energy level would increase. Miraculous response!

The great are great only because we are on our knees.
--Pierre Joseph Proudhon (1809-1865)

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 GFinDC

GFinDC

A little farting never hurt anybody... :-).

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,111 posts

Posted 19 March 2012 - 03:32 PM

Since celiac disease/gluten intolerance is often present in those who are type one diabetic, and knowing that there are a number of other type one members here, I thought I would share this bit of great scientific news. It sounds promising! :)

http://in.news.yahoo...-104918533.html

That's really neat Mlee. Sure sounds like it might work out. I kind of wonder how safe the intestines are from autoimmune attack though. They may be under a misapprehension there.

"The location of the cells in the gut may also prevent the diabetes from destroying the new insulin-producing cells, since the gastrointestinal tract is partly protected from attack by the immune system."

Seems like I have heard of a few people who's immune systems do more than protect their gastrointestinal systems somewhere. :)
Proverbs 25:16 "Hast thou found honey? eat so much as is sufficient for thee, lest thou be filled therewith, and vomit it."
Job 30:27 My bowels boiled, and rested not: the days of affliction prevented me.
Thyroid cyst and nodules, Lactose / casein intolerant. Diet positive, gene test pos, symptoms confirmed by Dr-head. My current bad list is: gluten, dairy, sulfites, coffee (the devil's brew), tea, Bug's Bunnies carrots, garbanzo beans of pain, soy- no joy, terrible turnips, tomatoes, peppers, potatoes, and hard work. have a good day! :-) Paul

#3 elye

elye

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,062 posts

Posted 19 March 2012 - 03:41 PM

"The location of the cells in the gut may also prevent the diabetes from destroying the new insulin-producing cells, since the gastrointestinal tract is partly protected from attack by the immune system."

Hmmmm.. . .. . ...yeah... . ...immune system as protector......

Rather over-protective, at times....... <_<
Emily

11 year-old Son had negative blood panel, but went on gluten-free diet of his own volition to see if his concentration would improve, his temper abate, and his energy level would increase. Miraculous response!

#4 Bubba's Mom

Bubba's Mom

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,457 posts

Posted 20 March 2012 - 08:07 AM

It's great that they've found out about this? It may take time to develope it into a good treatment..but isn't it wonderful that there's a chance of using something other than shots of insulin for type 1? :D

#5 elye

elye

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,062 posts

Posted 20 March 2012 - 08:26 AM

It's great that they've found out about this? It may take time to develope it into a good treatment..but isn't it wonderful that there's a chance of using something other than shots of insulin for type 1? :D

Man, yes... . . .. but for me the really big thing would be the cessation of all the blood tests I must do per day..... :)
Emily

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: