15 replies to this topic

#1 MaryJones2

MaryJones2

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,037 posts

Posted 19 March 2012 - 06:32 PM

I see a lot of topics about gluten-free rotisserie chicken (the kind that is cooked in the deli and sold in paper bags) but I can't find a list anywhere. I know Costco is gluten-free and that Whole Foods does not contain gluten ingredients but carries a warning. Anyone know about Safeway and other store brands? It would be nice to have options.

---------------------------------

MP - celiac for 10 years

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 curlyfries

curlyfries

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,502 posts

Posted 20 March 2012 - 02:16 AM

I see a lot of topics about gluten-free rotisserie chicken (the kind that is cooked in the deli and sold in paper bags) but I can't find a list anywhere. I know Costco is gluten-free and that Whole Foods does not contain gluten ingredients but carries a warning. Anyone know about Safeway and other store brands? It would be nice to have options.

I get mine at Meijer. There's only 3 or 4 ingredients, unless you get the flavored ones (barbecue, lemon chicken)I haven't checked those.
~~Lisa~~

"The greater the obstacle, the more glory in overcoming it."--Moliere

"I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be."--Douglas Adams

Friends may come and go but Sillies are Forever!!!!!!!--Amanda

gluten-free since 1/08
Posted Image

#3 Monklady123

Monklady123

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 483 posts

Posted 20 March 2012 - 04:07 AM

The only one I know about is Giant grocery store chickens and they are NOT gluten free. I always buy Costco's, even if I go in just for the chicken. Yes, I've learned how to go into Costco for just one thing. ;) The cashiers always comment on it and I tell them that this chicken is gluten free, bigger than Giant's, and cheaper. What's not to like? B)

#4 Lisa

Lisa

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,802 posts

Posted 20 March 2012 - 05:08 AM

Perdue, Grocery Store Rotisserie Whole Chickens, are gluten free in our area.
Lisa

Gluten Free - August 15, 2004

"Not all who wander are lost" - JRR Tolkien

#5 xjrosie

xjrosie

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 124 posts

Posted 23 March 2012 - 11:52 AM

I worked in the deli at Kroger. You should be able to eat any of the rotisserie chickens there. They don't put any other flavorings on other than the barbeque sauce and lemon pepper, and I believe both of those are gluten free. To be on the safe side, ask the deli workers, they'll help you out.

#6 Adalaide

Adalaide

It needs to be about 20% cooler.

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,449 posts

Posted 23 March 2012 - 11:41 PM

I remember checking at Smith's and seem to think they were gluten free although I didn't buy one at the time. They're cheaper at Costco so I just go there.

"You don't look sick or anything"

"Well you don't look stupid, looks can be deceiving."

Celiac DX Dec 2012

CRPS DX March 2014

#7 modiddly16

modiddly16

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 600 posts

Posted 26 March 2012 - 07:39 AM

Can you show some proof that the Giant rotisserie's aren't gluten free? I eat them all the time and have no problems...the ingrediants don't lead me to believe that they're not.

#8 kareng

kareng

HO! HO! HO!

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,312 posts

Posted 26 March 2012 - 08:15 AM

Can you show some proof that the Giant rotisserie's aren't gluten free? I eat them all the time and have no problems...the ingrediants don't lead me to believe that they're not.

Could it be possible that there are different Giant groceries? Different main company? For example, we have PriceChoppers here in KC. I googled them for something and found there is another chain of Price Choppers, in another part of the country, that don't seem to be related. Also, here, some of our Price Choppers are owned by different people, like a franchise. It's probably not as rigid as a McDonalds franchise so they may be able to fix the chicken or carry different items - whatever works for thier neighborhood.

I think the best plan is to use these suggestions but check the ingredients and how the food is handled at your local store.

santa-dance.gif

Once again, we come to the Holiday Season, a deeply religious time that each of us observes, in his own way, by going to the mall of his choice. - Dave Barry

“The main reason Santa is so jolly is because he knows where all the bad girls live.”  - George Carlin

“One can never have enough socks," said Dumbledore. "Another Christmas has come and gone and I didn't get a single pair. People will insist on giving me books.”  - J.K. Rowling, Harry Potter and The Sorcerer's Stone

#9 Monklady123

Monklady123

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 483 posts

Posted 26 March 2012 - 12:27 PM

No, of course I can't "show proof" since I'm not planning to buy one so that I can send you the label. You'll have to take my word for it that the ingredients say "allergen: wheat". :rolleyes:

I'm not trying to be snarky here but I don't understand when people question things like this. Recently someone else did it when I posted about the Goya Maria gluten free cookies. I can read. If something says, in BIG LETTERS "GLUTEN FREE" then I'm going to report it as gluten free. Similarly when something says "allergen: wheat" I'm going to tell you all that this is what it says. You can do what you want, and read your own labels. I'm merely answering the question that the OP asked.

#10 Lisa

Lisa

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,802 posts

Posted 26 March 2012 - 01:15 PM

What is gluten free in one area of the country/world, may not be in the other. I would assume that large grocery chain stores have various suppliers, who may use different ingredients in their products.

I don't know that as a fact, but it makes sense to me. B)
Lisa

#11 modiddly16

modiddly16

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 600 posts

Posted 27 March 2012 - 05:35 AM

Well I'm sorry....but my rotisserie chickens at Giant do not say that, which is why I was asking! Maybe they've changed things, but I'm looking at one directly in front of me as we speak.

People question things because a lot of people make claims on this board with no proof and a lot of the times, the information isn't correct, hence, my asking where you got your information. You didn't specify that you saw the "allergin: wheat" statement, so I was curious if you heard from Giant corporate or something. All you said was that Giant ones were not gluten free, no back up to that statement. It's important for many people that you explain where your information is coming from.

#12 MaryJones2

MaryJones2

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,037 posts

Posted 27 March 2012 - 12:12 PM

Perdue, Grocery Store Rotisserie Whole Chickens, are gluten free in our area.

Lisa, are they frozen and you cook at home? I'm open to that too. Just couldn't quite tell if that's what you mean or if your store uses Perdue brand.

I was hoping someone had information on Safeway. Safeway and Costco are really the only two chains we have in our area. I think there is a Lucky but it's not really in the way of any place I am coming or going. Safeway is the easiest when I'm in a hurry. The costco's in San Jose are total Zoo's - all the time :) You don't get in and out in less than 30 there...I emailed Safeway a while back and never heard anything so I'll try again.

PS - Thanks for all of the replies. I miss Kroger - they were always great and very helpful.

---------------------------------

MP - celiac for 10 years

#13 Lisa

Lisa

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,802 posts

Posted 27 March 2012 - 12:29 PM

Lisa, are they frozen and you cook at home? I'm open to that too. Just couldn't quite tell if that's what you mean or if your store uses Perdue brand.

Nope. They are rotissarized in the deli section of our local Food Lion, and packaged hot in a little tote box, and labeled Purdue. Pretty good, but not too sure you have a Food Lion in your new neck of the woods.

http://www.perdue.co...isserie Chicken

Here ya go:
http://www.perdue.co...group_name=Deli
Lisa

#14 pricklypear1971

pricklypear1971

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,684 posts

Posted 27 March 2012 - 02:19 PM

I was hoping someone had information on Safeway. Safeway and Costco are really the only two chains we have in our area. I think there is a Lucky but it's not really in the way of any place I am coming or going. Safeway is the easiest when I'm in a hurry. The costco's in San Jose are total Zoo's - all the time :) You don't get in and out in less than 30 there...I emailed Safeway a while back and never heard anything so I'll try again.

PS - Thanks for all of the replies. I miss Kroger - they were always great and very helpful.

If you are ok with maltodextrin and caramel color (neither of them say derived from wheat) and "natural flavors" you may try Safeway. I bought one there when I first went gluten-free - I screened it then and thought it was ok. I've not tried asking for more clarification on the natural flavors.

I live in AZ, don't know if the flavors vary.
Apparently there is nothing that cannot happen today. ~ Mark Twain

Probable Endometriosis, in remission from childbirth since 2002.
Hashimoto's DX 2005.
Gluten-Free since 6/2011.
DH (and therefore Celiac) dx from ND
Responsive to iodine withdrawal for DH (see quote, above).

Genetic tests reveal half DQ2, half DQ8 - I'm a weird bird!

#15 Boyz2mom

Boyz2mom

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 17 February 2013 - 04:13 PM

I'm new to this, (2 days) but my local Giant receives precooked chickens and puts them in the plastic containers marked Giant. The chickens are from Perdue and they were able to give me the original Perdue sticker. Obviously, it's important how they're handled in store. The clerks were very patient as it took many questions to get the info I needed and they asked what Celiac was. For whatever it's worth, at least those 2 will change gloves before repackaging the chickens :) so I agree it's wise to ask what brand chicken your store uses and how they handle it.

Could it be possible that there are different Giant groceries? Different main company? For example, we have PriceChoppers here in KC. I googled them for something and found there is another chain of Price Choppers, in another part of the country, that don't seem to be related. Also, here, some of our Price Choppers are owned by different people, like a franchise. It's probably not as rigid as a McDonalds franchise so they may be able to fix the chicken or carry different items - whatever works for thier neighborhood.

I think the best plan is to use these suggestions but check the ingredients and how the food is handled at your local store.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: