7 replies to this topic

#1 Cortneysmibro

Cortneysmibro

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 19 March 2012 - 10:04 PM

I have had a few gluten type reactions lately from drinks that claim to be gluten free. I have compared the ingredients and the only thing I can find that I think would be causing it is Red 40. It was Jose Ceuervo margarita mix, Faygo red pop, and ever fresh cranberry juice. Does anyone know anything about this? I have read conflicting posts about weather or not the dye contains gluten. But either way I am pretty sure this is what is making me puff up like a balloon and get an instant headache and nausea.

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 Skylark

Skylark

Glutenologist

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,490 posts

Posted 19 March 2012 - 10:49 PM

Red 40 is gluten-free. It's made from coal tar or petrochemicals. (Eww, gross.) It isn't terribly uncommon to be either sensitive or allergic to it.

Unfortunately a lot of people with celiac disease have a reaction and assume the reaction is to gluten. They hop on this board or on their blog and next thing you know there are crazy rumors about gluten in this, that, or the other thing everywhere.

#3 Cortneysmibro

Cortneysmibro

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 19 March 2012 - 11:05 PM

Red 40 is gluten-free. It's made from coal tar or petrochemicals. (Eww, gross.) It isn't terribly uncommon to be either sensitive or allergic to it.

Unfortunately a lot of people with celiac disease have a reaction and assume the reaction is to gluten. They hop on this board or on their blog and next thing you know there are crazy rumors about gluten in this, that, or the other thing everywhere.

Yeah, It did not seem that there would be gluten in a dye. But I am very new to this. I keep find myself getting sick from things that are "gluten free". There has to be something else that is setting my body off but I have been having a heck of a time pin pointing it. I know for sure that Gluten makes me sick as a dog. But I keep getting almost the same but milder reactions when I eat and drink certain things that do not have any gluten in it. I was not sure if there where some hidden things or just other foods or additives that can give the same reaction to some people. So far I have a list of foods that do it but I have not been able to pick that ONE thing that is in them to blame. UGH ......

#4 Darn210

Darn210

Cookies!!

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,729 posts

Posted 20 March 2012 - 02:30 AM

Unfortunately, it may be more than just one thing. Keeping a list is a good idea. Some of those items you may be able to add back later . . . some of those items you may decide that you don't WANT to add back.

Prior to my daughter being diagnosed (and for a while afterwards), she would react to blue dye. Of course being a kid that's what she was attracted to . . . The yogurt that they market to kids comes to mind.

She's able to tolerate it now but we don't go overboard with it. It's amazing how many foods have artificial dyes that you don't even realize . . . Marshmallows? Really?
Janet

Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted.

Posted Image

#5 IrishHeart

IrishHeart

Warrior Princess

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,374 posts

Posted 20 March 2012 - 05:11 AM

But I am very new to this. I keep find myself getting sick from things that are "gluten free". There has to be something else that is setting my body off but I have been having a heck of a time pin pointing it. I know for sure that Gluten makes me sick as a dog.

I'd like to echo Skylark and Darn's thoughts and add one more:

You are still healing your gut and many foods may still be causing you grief--but it's not necessarily hidden gluten. It takes many people a long time to be able to handle foods with dyes/additives/preservatives (if ever).

I had a heckofa time after first going gluten-free and I seem to react to things like dyes, preservatives, MSG (ugh!) and other "things" they put in foods. I still have to watch what I try to add back in.

Go as clean/whole foods as you can for awhile. Then, try ONE product and see what happens. Otherwise, it is impossible to pinpoint a culprit. (been there/done that! :) )

Best wishes!

"Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is. The way we cope with it makes the difference." Virginia Satir

"The strongest of all warriors are these two - time and patience." Leo Tolstoy

"If you want to lift yourself up, lift up someone else" Booker T. Washington

“If idiots could fly, the sky would be like an airport.”― Laura Davenport 

"LTES"  Gem 2014

Misdiagnosed for 25+ years; Finally Diagnosed with Celiac  11/01/10.  Double DQ2 genes. This thing tried to kill me. I view Celiac as a fire breathing dragon --and I have run my sword right through his throat.
I. Win. bliss-smiley-emoticon.gif

#6 Skylark

Skylark

Glutenologist

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,490 posts

Posted 20 March 2012 - 06:48 AM

I react to MSG too if there is a lot of it in a food. Natural MSG in things like miso gets me. I also react to tyramine that's in red wine, aged cheese, and chicken livers, and aged/fermented foods. If you suspect food chemicals this info might help. http://fedup.com.au/

#7 IrishHeart

IrishHeart

Warrior Princess

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,374 posts

Posted 20 March 2012 - 01:09 PM

I react to MSG too if there is a lot of it in a food. Natural MSG in things like miso gets me. I also react to tyramine that's in red wine, aged cheese, and chicken livers, and aged/fermented foods. If you suspect food chemicals this info might help. http://fedup.com.au/

Skylark, ditto for me, too! red wine, aged cheeses and the lot. I think I told you this---I did the Failsafe diet for a month (ate enough brussels sprouts to last me a ifetime :lol: ) and it really knocked down that "histamine" response in me!!

To the OP--just cut out all those things for a few months and see if you feel better. :)

"Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is. The way we cope with it makes the difference." Virginia Satir

"The strongest of all warriors are these two - time and patience." Leo Tolstoy

"If you want to lift yourself up, lift up someone else" Booker T. Washington

“If idiots could fly, the sky would be like an airport.”― Laura Davenport 

"LTES"  Gem 2014

Misdiagnosed for 25+ years; Finally Diagnosed with Celiac  11/01/10.  Double DQ2 genes. This thing tried to kill me. I view Celiac as a fire breathing dragon --and I have run my sword right through his throat.
I. Win. bliss-smiley-emoticon.gif

#8 pricklypear1971

pricklypear1971

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,684 posts

Posted 20 March 2012 - 01:14 PM

Red dye is a huge problem for me. I don't do well with highly processed preservatives - natural or synthetic. I've wondered if its salicylates or something else... but in the end I just avoid them.

BTW don't EVER eat RiceWorks chili chips if you have a problem with dyes. They are yummy but lethal.
Apparently there is nothing that cannot happen today. ~ Mark Twain

Probable Endometriosis, in remission from childbirth since 2002.
Hashimoto's DX 2005.
Gluten-Free since 6/2011.
DH (and therefore Celiac) dx from ND
Responsive to iodine withdrawal for DH (see quote, above).

Genetic tests reveal half DQ2, half DQ8 - I'm a weird bird!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: