This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Chocolate Chip Cookie Recipe Help

sariesue

sariesue Explorer

So far my attempts at baking gluten free cookies have not been huge sucesses. My last batch was was edible, but very dry and a previous attempt was a crumbly inedible mess. It doesn't help that I am VERY particular about my cookies I like chewy moist cookies. which makes it a little more difficult. Can anybody give me a recipe for chocolate chip cookies that taste like the recipe from the tollhouse chocolate chip bag?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

pricklypear1971 Community Regular

Have you tried the Tollhouse recipe with gluten-free flour? I found the best gluten-free cookie recipe was my old one, using gluten-free flour.

If you like chewy add some almond flour, it always gives a bit of chew. I prefer superfine white sorghum flour to rice because rice feels gritty. The best flour mix I've found is King Arthur gluten-free flour. I will use half KA and half sorghum/potato. Or now that I've started using almond flour I will use all almond or 1/3 almond, 1/3 KA, 1/3 sorghum/potato.

You may add an extra egg or reduce the fat a bit in your recipe, simple changes like that, but the basic recipe can probably stay the same.

Also, try using baking soda for rise instead of baking powder.

I don't use xanthan or other gums in my cookies. They rise just fine without it.

love2travel Mentor

This is the best recipe ever - gluten free or not and I have made MANY recipes. These cookies are chewy and fabulous. The raw dough is delicious. (I hate to admit that because there are raw eggs in it...) The recipe yields me twice as much as it says but I make mine the regular size, not gigantic. You cannot tell these are gluten free whatsoever. I get many, many requests for them from non celiacs as well.

Open Original Shared Link

This is the best recipe ever - gluten free or not and I have made MANY recipes. These cookies are chewy and fabulous. The raw dough is delicious. (I hate to admit that because there are raw eggs in it...) The recipe yields me twice as much as it says but I make mine the regular size, not gigantic. You cannot tell these are gluten free whatsoever. I get many, many requests for them from non celiacs as well.

Open Original Shared Link

Oh my goodness, how could you go wrong with Dagoba chips????

love2travel Mentor

Oh my goodness, how could you go wrong with Dagoba chips????

Yes! And that is just part of the goodness. I'm picky about baking and these are a winner for me. I've done many test recipes but this is the one I always make when I'm not testing because they really are that good.

Yes! And that is just part of the goodness. I'm picky about baking and these are a winner for me. I've done many test recipes but this is the one I always make when I'm not testing because they really are that good.

I've developed a love for sorghum in place of rice flours. It has a nice "wheat" taste, I think. I've started using almond flour lately and really enjoy the two together. I'm not surprised to see them in combination in a recipe you think is so good.

hexon Rookie

This is the recipe I invented. They hold together well even if you don't use xanthan gum and they stay soft and chewy.

1/2 cup butter, softened

1/2 cup white sugar

1/2 cup packed brown sugar

1 egg

1 egg yolk

1 teaspoons vanilla extract

1 cup soy flour

1/2 cup gluten-free all-purpose flour

1/2 teaspoon baking soda

1 teaspoons hot water

1/4 teaspoon salt

1 cups semisweet chocolate chips

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).

Mix together the flours, butter, sugar, baking soda, vanilla, salt, water, chocolate chips and 1 egg. The dough should be non-sticky and form a tight, firm ball. If the dough is a little crumbly add the extra egg white. Drop by large spoonfuls onto greased pans.

Bake for about 14 minutes in the preheated oven, or until edges are nicely browned.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

love2travel Mentor

I've developed a love for sorghum in place of rice flours. It has a nice "wheat" taste, I think. I've started using almond flour lately and really enjoy the two together. I'm not surprised to see them in combination in a recipe you think is so good.

Me, too. Sorghum is one of my favourites - I use it a lot in blends and so on. Almond is another favourite. Heck - I have lots of favourites, don't I? But seriously sorghum is wonderful. Glad you like it, too. :)

Kelleybean Enthusiast

I use the recipe from Elana's Pantry - I love it. I do make a couple substitutions ... coconut oil (liquified) for the grapeseed and honey for the agave.

alex11602 Collaborator

I use the recipe from Elana's Pantry - I love it. I do make a couple substitutions ... coconut oil (liquified) for the grapeseed and honey for the agave.

I also use the one from Elana's Pantry using canola for the grapeseed and also the honey for agave. I served them for my daughter's birthday party and even the gluten eaters went back for seconds and thirds.

freeatlast Collaborator

Me, too. Sorghum is one of my favourites - I use it a lot in blends and so on. Almond is another favourite. Heck - I have lots of favourites, don't I? But seriously sorghum is wonderful. Glad you like it, too. :)

Me too :) I used Carol Fenster's New Sorghum Blend in my latest banana nut bread and it was a HUGE hit.

bbuster Explorer

Here are all my secrets for chocolate chip cookies.

I use the Tollhouse recipe, but always use Butter flavored Crisco instead of butter/margarine.

I add about 1/4 cup extra flour so they don't spread too much.

For my flour I use about 1/2 Sorghum and 1/2 Featherlight mix (white rice, tapioca, corn starch).

I also throw in 2 heaping tablespoons of ground flaxseed.

I also through in a tablespoon of dry milk powder and maybe 1/4 tsp of unflavored gelatin.

I use extra chocolate chips, and roughly this ratio: 1/2 milk choc, 1/4 semi-sweet, 1/4 white choc

I refrigerate the dough.

I bake them on a preheated baking stone.

I use a round tablespoon size scoop (Pampered Chef) sprayed with Pam to make them all the same size.

I only bake them 8-10 minutes. Take them out when they still look a little doughy. They will continue to bake on the stone even out of the oven. Let them cool completely and then remove with a flat stainless steel spatula.

Sounds like a lot of trouble? Maybe, but now I can do it in my sleep. Believe me, these do not last long around our house, and I take to any kind of potluck/social gathering and they don't last there, either.

Oh yeah, last thing is that I freeze the extra dough. Move from freezer to fridge for about an hour when you want to bake a fresh batch. Can refreeze what's left.

Another tip I've found baking gluten-free, especially with nut flours - always bake on parchment paper and let the cookies thoroughly cool before moving them (I just slide the paper off the sheet onto the counter).

Nut flour cookies are a crumbly mess when hot but firm up beautifully when cool.

love2travel Mentor

Another tip I've found baking gluten-free, especially with nut flours - always bake on parchment paper and let the cookies thoroughly cool before moving them (I just slide the paper off the sheet onto the counter).

Nut flour cookies are a crumbly mess when hot but firm up beautifully when cool.

Good point. I use silpat, too. Another good tip is to stack 2 cookie sheets on top of one another if your oven has hot spots or a tendency to burn. The extra layer prevents burning.

love2travel Mentor

Me too :) I used Carol Fenster's New Sorghum Blend in my latest banana nut bread and it was a HUGE hit.

Awesome! I like the flavour and texture of sorghum. Have you tried millet, chestnut or teff?

Skylark Collaborator

I haven't bothered with chocolate chip cookies from scratch. I use the Betty Crocker gluten-free mix! :lol:

mommida Enthusiast

We have been very happy with the Pamela's baking mix following the recie on the bag.

But OMG I order from LizLovely online and her really expensive cookies (gluten free variety and all vegan) are totally awesome! She just came out with a gluten free option for the Lovely Ohs. (Like a chocolate covered oreo.)

I just ordered! There is a promotional code for 15%off new product orders ~ OMGMARCH2012 valid right now.

Or use the loyalty discount LIZROCKS for 5% discount.

Honestly don't flag me, because I don't profit from the suggestion. I just love the product! www.lizlovely.com

sariesue Explorer

I've never used sourgum flour before. Is it hard to find?

love2travel Mentor

Yes, where I live it is easy to find (Alberta).

Bob's Red Mill seems to be the most-seen brand around me; however, I buy Authentic Foods superfine white sorghum. From reading, the fine grind makes a big difference in some recipes. You can order both online.

Sparky84 Newbie

I just made some cookies from scratch, used the Tollhouse recipe and the gluten free flour mixture I bought from a local Amish Store. Taste great but the cookies do not "rise" at all and simply melt flat while in the oven. Any ideas on what I could add to give it some form?

Skylark Collaborator

Was there any xanthan gum in the flour mix or recipe?

I just made some cookies from scratch, used the Tollhouse recipe and the gluten free flour mixture I bought from a local Amish Store. Taste great but the cookies do not "rise" at all and simply melt flat while in the oven. Any ideas on what I could add to give it some form?

Some people use xanthan gum for rise but I add more leavening and readuce fats. The toll house recipe uses 2 sticks of butter and I find butter is one of the spreadiest fats to use gluten-free - I would definitely reduce it by 1/4 to 1/3. I'd probably use half shortening, half butter, also. I'd add more baking soda, too, or add some baking powder. You have 2 eggs in there, and that is probably sufficient moisture to make up for the difference in the butter.

Also, if you are using a nut or coconut flour mix you need to completely revamp the recipe or try one developed specifically for those flours.

• 4 weeks later...
bincongo Contributor

So far my attempts at baking gluten free cookies have not been huge sucesses. My last batch was was edible, but very dry and a previous attempt was a crumbly inedible mess. It doesn't help that I am VERY particular about my cookies I like chewy moist cookies. which makes it a little more difficult. Can anybody give me a recipe for chocolate chip cookies that taste like the recipe from the tollhouse chocolate chip bag?

I was a chocolate chip cookie lover before going gluten free. My favorite recipe is from Land-o-Lakes. Go online and look for Chewy Chocolate chip cookies(gluten-free). To me they are as close to my pre-gluten free cookies as they can be.

Archived