This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Help Celiac.com:
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Anyone In Md Or East Coast?

KaitiUSA

Lauren M Explorer

jkmunchkin!

You work as a business manager for a magazine? Mind if I ask which one? I'm going for my masters in Publication Management right now - we need to chat sometime!!!

- Lauren

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply
danikali Enthusiast

Oh my gosh! hahahah that's so exciting you guys live in New York City too!!!!!

I go to Pace actually, I just transferred from Loyola in Chicago so I had to add an extra year to grad. But anyway, yes, I WOULD LOVE SOME HELP WITH WEDDING PLANNING, and YES I would love to meet up for gluten free food!!!!!!!!!!!

I work downtown at Cahill & Gordon, ever heard? Well, I don't know if I want to go to law school, I've been thinking about it since I started here actually.

But then again, I'm majoring in English and Publishing, because I really have a passion for writing and reading. Actually, I would realllllllly love to work for a publishing company after I'm done with school. Well, anything I guess that has to do with reading and writing. Newspapers, magazine, etc.

And jkmunchkin, congrats on getting married!!!

So, I live in NOHO, well actually right by NYU. And what is the food store called? I'm thinking whole foods has a lot of gluten free things, the one in Union Square? Have you gone there? Where do you live in the city mookie?

And my fiance is actually from Westchester, that's where Terrytown is right? He's from Chappuqua.

Anyway, we really should meet! I don't know anybody with Celiac or gluten problems, and we could be good support for each other!

My e-mail is Danikali22@hotmail.com

My name is Danielle! :D

Lauren M Explorer

I'm in Philly, not NY, but I never knew there were so many Celiacs in the publishing industry! We definitely need to get together! I've been to Risoterria before... worth making the trip back.

- Lauren

danikali Enthusiast
I'm in Philly, not NY, but I never knew there were so many Celiacs in the publishing industry! We definitely need to get together! I've been to Risoterria before... worth making the trip back.

- Lauren

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Okay, then all four of us will get together for some gluten free food!

mookie03 Contributor

Danielle-

I live in midtown west, near lincoln center (where Fordham is). My favorite place to shop is called Westerly, its on 53rd/8th - not exactly close to you! i like it b/c i think for some things the selection is a little better than whole foods and everything is just a little bit cheaper. but whole foods is obviously great too and has a much better bread, cheese and produce selection. TRY THEIR gluten-free BAKEHOUSE ITEMS! (the banana bread is amazing) I feel so lucky to have both of these stores at my fingertips!!

i know Cahill Gordon, i think a few of my fordham friends worked there this summer, though i cant remember who!

i actually grew up in westchester- in greenburgh, and my parents now live up in briarcliff- so i find myself in Tarrytown all the time...and i had lunch in Chappaqua on Sunday!

and congrats jkmunchkin!

Lauren- when are you coming into NY? I think we should all meet at Risotteria. I'll immerse myself in gluten-free pizza while you guys discuss publishing :P

danikali Enthusiast
Danielle-

I live in midtown west, near lincoln center (where Fordham is).  My favorite place to shop is called Westerly, its on 53rd/8th - not exactly close to you!  i like it b/c i think for some things the selection is a little better than whole foods and everything is just a little bit cheaper.  but whole foods is obviously great too and has a much better bread, cheese and produce selection.  TRY THEIR gluten-free BAKEHOUSE ITEMS! (the banana bread is amazing) I feel so lucky to have both of these stores at my fingertips!!

i know Cahill Gordon, i think a few of my fordham friends worked there this summer, though i cant remember who!

i actually grew up in westchester- in greenburgh, and my parents now live up in briarcliff- so i find myself in Tarrytown all the time...and i had lunch in Chappaqua on Sunday!

and congrats jkmunchkin!

Lauren- when are you coming into NY? I think we should all meet at Risotteria. I'll immerse myself in gluten-free pizza while you guys discuss publishing  :P

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

:lol: Hahaha, I just got a funny image of someone "immersing themselves in pizza" while those around discuss something other than the gluten free pizza!

Anyway, that's so fun that you live right here and know everything that I see everyday!

And YES I had the gluten free banana bread from Whole Foods and pretty much ate half of it! Then I decided to read the nutrition facts AND I STOPPED DEAD IN MY TRACKS! hahahaha, the serving size was like 1/3 cup, lol, I don't know, pretty much a sliver, and it was like 300 calories per serviing!!! I probably had 1500 cal. in 15 minutes! haha, but IT ISSSSSSSS GOOOOOOOOOOD! And I will have to check out Westerly, because Whole Foods can not only be expensive, but it is always such a zoo! Do they have a big selection at this store?

And where are you planning on working after law school? Do you know yet? This firm is amazing, in a lot of ways, except I know that because it's a well known, medium sized firm, and you make VERY GOOD money, RIGHT OUT OF SCHOOL, you will pretty much have to give up your life, lol. No joking though. I actually have a friend who is going back to Law School in Jan. at Syracusse.

Okay, yes, we will all go out for pizza, we'll all have to keep in touch.

-Dani

Lauren M Explorer

Let me know when you guys plan something, and I'll try my best to be there :P

- Lauren

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

ehrin Explorer

I just caught wind of this thread -

I live in Manchester, NH too!!! I just bought my first house there.

I work in Billerica, MA and see that there are a lot of people from around both areas!

I was dx a little under a month ago, via biopsy, and would love to meet some fellow celiac's. I know this is a long shot, but I also have T1 diabetes...is there anyone else with both conditions??

Peace

Ehrin

jkmunchkin Rising Star

Ok so we MUST meet up at Risotteria!!! Shall we pick a day after the holidays?!!

Dani - I actually grew up in Northern Westchester, Pound Ridge. I went to your fiances rival high school (LOL)!!! He went to Greeley right? I went to Fox Lane. Do you mind me asking how old he is?

Lauren & Danielle - I work at Golf Digest at Conde Nast. I've been at CNP for years though and have worked on several magazines. Feel free to e-mail any questions... or send along your resumes for an internship. jilliankos@yahoo.com

jkmunchkin Rising Star

Oh and Stefi - I just moved from Hartsdale!!!

I've mentioned it in other posts but I should let you guys know that my dad owns restaurants in Hartsdale and Yonkers and he is going to create a gluten-free menu, but in the meantime a lot of his items are gluten-free already.

The restaurant is Epsteins. It's kosher delicatessen food.

mookie03 Contributor
Oh and Stefi - I just moved from Hartsdale!!!

I've mentioned it in other posts but I should let you guys know that my dad owns restaurants in Hartsdale and Yonkers and he is going to create a gluten-free menu, but in the meantime a lot of his items are gluten-free already.

The restaurant is Epsteins. It's kosher delicatessen food.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I used to order take-out from epsteins at least once a wk when i was little! LOVED the food there! those knishes, so good!!!! (usually went to the one in Hartsdale, but i've been to both locations)-- i grew up in Edgemont school district, town of greenburgh- lived right off Central Ave.

Def Risotteria, as soon as my finals are over ill have a very flexible schedule :)

Btw, jkmunchkin, did u try babycakes? interested to hear how it is!

jkmunchkin Rising Star

Yeah unfortunately no more knishes for us but there is still tons of stuff we can eat there. Most of the soups are gluten-free which is so great because I'm way to lazy to make homemade soup and my dad's are the best. A lot of the recipes are actually my grandma's.

I haven't been to Babycakes yet. I was thinking of going there next Wednesday after work. We have a half day so I figured it would be a good time to go. I did try Happy Happy Happy though which was good. Have you tried that?

Have you tried any of the food from Everybody Eats Inc? It is amazing; even by non-gluten-free standards. They are in Brooklyn but will deliver anywhere in the city for a flat fee.

Just let us know when finals are over and I'll organize meeting up : )

Can't wait!!!

mookie03 Contributor
Yeah unfortunately no more knishes for us but there is still tons of stuff we can eat there. Most of the soups are gluten-free which is so great because I'm way to lazy to make homemade soup and my dad's are the best. A lot of the recipes are actually my grandma's.

I haven't been to Babycakes yet. I was thinking of going there next Wednesday after work. We have a half day so I figured it would be a good time to go. I did try Happy Happy Happy though which was good. Have you tried that?

Have you tried any of the food from Everybody Eats Inc? It is amazing; even by non-gluten-free standards. They are in Brooklyn but will deliver anywhere in the city for a flat fee.

Just let us know when finals are over and I'll organize meeting up : )

Can't wait!!!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

i know, i do miss knishes... the soups are great though, good to know they are gluten-free as winter gets closer!

i went to happyhappyhappy, LOVED the little madeleine cookies, everything else i tried was good, but some things were a bit hard and dry. but im excited to hear about everybody eats- never heard of it but sounds awesome!

ill be done Dec 18, so anytime after that!!

danikali Enthusiast

Hi guys!

Yeah, let's make a date for after the holidays! Or after thanksgiving.....?

And that is too funny you know Greeley! That IS where he went to high school. Well, he's 26 now, he also has a brother who just turned 29. Their last name is Chiltern........Danny or Michael.....how funny would it be if you knew them? Or their friends! You said you are 28, right? So you're closer to Michael's age.

Anyway, wow! I am going to be needing an internship soon, so I will keep that in mind.

-Danielle

jkmunchkin Rising Star

This really is funny. I don't know your FI or his brother, but I'm going to ask a friend that went to Greeley that is my age (yes, 28).

So I know Stefi isn't done with finals until Dec. 18th but of everyone else is available before then - well you can never have to many trips for gluten-free pizza!!

danikali Enthusiast
This really is funny. I don't know your FI or his brother, but I'm going to ask a friend that went to Greeley that is my age (yes, 28).

So I know Stefi isn't done with finals until Dec. 18th but of everyone else is available before then - well you can never have to many trips for gluten-free pizza!!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yeah hahah, get back to me about the Greeley thing....I bet your friend knows at least one of them(actually, if they knew one, they probably knew both); from what I understand, it wasn't a big school at all. It will be interesting to hear back about that. I hope I don't hear anything bad about him...hehe. Oh, and what's your friend's name so I can ask him.....

Anyway, let's set a date for this pizza get together. Would you guys want to meet up on a Friday? How about Friday Jan. 6th. That way, Stefi's finals will be over, and the weekends after that are Christmas and New Years, and then maybe we'll all be a little bit more free? Get back to me and let me know what you guys think!

-Danielle

francelajoie Explorer

I usually drin regular coffee at Dunkins or Starbucks with 1 cream and 1 sugar. I was drinking the flavored ones but i guess that the sirups have gluten.

I thought maybe I should get a biopsy or something. I don't know if it's necessary. I really don't want to start eating gluten again for those tests. I ate someting the other day...I think it was either Sunny Delight orange Juice or Hollandais sauce or both...not sure and man did I ever get my exercise running to the bathroom all day.

I actually don't get nausea and all that stuff. Just a little bloating, gas, and diareah. I read some of the peoples symptoms and I get scared. I actually consider myself lucky.

francelajoie Explorer

Ok, so I'm not the only one. Weird how everybody has different symptoms. Man, I have so much to learn about this.

So I guess it's no more coffee for me.

Hey, for you who want to know, I emailed Smirnoff Canada and the Smirnoff Ice in Canada is Gluten free...wooohooo. My family is in Canada and I visit often. I brought back a couple cases last week. Plus, I found an awsome gluten free beer too. It's called La Messagere...brought a supply of that too.

Now when my family comes and visits, the rule is too bring a case of each!!

Guest BERNESES

NYC'ers- I'm not from NY but when I visited there this summer we went to the Candle cafe. I don't know if anyone mentioned it, but their gluten free menu was AMAZINg and their lavender blueberry icrecream rocks the house! I'm lactose intolerant but I couldn't resist.

mookie03 Contributor
Yeah hahah, get back to me about the Greeley thing....I bet your friend knows at least one of them(actually, if they knew one, they probably knew both); from what I understand, it wasn't a big school at all. It will be interesting to hear back about that. I hope I don't hear anything bad about him...hehe. Oh, and what's your friend's name so I can ask him.....

Anyway, let's set a date for this pizza get together. Would you guys want to meet up on a Friday? How about Friday Jan. 6th. That way, Stefi's finals will be over, and the weekends after that are Christmas and New Years, and then maybe we'll all be a little bit more free? Get back to me and let me know what you guys think!

-Danielle

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Fri Jan 6th sounds great! but if you guys would like to meet a little sooner, i could handle that too- i can always use a pizza study break! :P i have a trial all week the wk of Nov 28, but maybe sometime in dec before the holidays kick in?

Lavender blueberry ice cream?!! WOW- sounds incredible! we may have to start a once-a-month gluten-free dinner thing!!!

Guest BERNESES

The lavender blueberry ice cream is to die for! I may have to drive down just to join you guys! B

jkmunchkin Rising Star

Dani I wil def' get back to you on the Greeley thing. I have a couple friends that went there in that are the same age as me, but I'm going to ask my friend Melissa Stewart.

Fri, Jan. 6th definately works for me!! But I agree - let's do something sooner too. Maybe the 1st or 2nd week in December? I don't have a calendar handy (I just moved recently - nothing is handy. LOL) but I'll take a look at a date tomorrow at work.

That ice cream sounds amazing!!! I love anything blueberry flavored. I may have to take a field trip during lunch tomorrow for some desert : )

Oh and I totally agree on Happy Happy Happy. It was good, but some stuff was a tad bit dry and stiff. It was one of the 1st gluten-free desert things I tried after being diagnosed so I was pretty ecstatic, but now that I've had several good gluten-free deserts that could just as easily satisfy a craving, Happy Happy Happy wouldn't be my 1st choice. Let's see how Babycakes is. So far Everybody Eats definately wins in my book.

mookie03 Contributor

Fri, Jan. 6th should give lauren and any other motivated out-of-towners time to get here and join us :D

jkmunchkin, u can throw some dates out tomorrow and we'll find one that works all around... and by the way, reading ur last post made me realize how lucky we are to live in ny.. i mean, we have so many options for gluten-free food that i dont ever feel deprived anymore!!! cant wait to try babycakes and everybody eats

jkmunchkin Rising Star

Hey guys. So how about another dinner (or a 1st dinner I should say) on Friday, Dec. 9th - say 6:00/6:30ish? You can never have to much Risotteria... and Stefi you'll need a study break : )

I totally 2nd the we're so lucky to live in NY thing. I think there are some other places like Canada, and I've heard a lot of Europe that are even more celiac disease friendly. But as far as the US goes we are definately lucky in all the options we have for both restaurants and stores that carry special food for us.

Lauren M Explorer

Hey guys,

I'm going to be in NYC on Dec 2, but will be entertaining an friend from out-of-town. Jan. 6 sounds good to me - I'll put it on my calendar! Let me know if you decide to something sooner, I'll try to make it.

Yay :)

- Lauren

Archived