4 replies to this topic

#1 Molly Susan

Molly Susan

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 21 March 2012 - 09:42 AM

Hi everyone, I posted a question last week about having recurring pain on my left side under my left bottom rib.Sometimes it is also mide left back pain. It happens when I get glutened and lasts for a few weeks. I started doing some research and was wondering if it may be a hiatal hernia. It started after I had my daughter (the same time the celiac started) It seems to correct itself but it does take a few weeks. It seems when I get Glutened I start to bloat and I initially feel a stabbing pain under my ribs that subsides have the gas is released. The pain turns duller and is just annoying because it also seems to affect my upper back. Anyway just wondering i anyone has any experience with both Celiac and a hernia.

Thanks
Diagnosed with Celiac via positive blood work in February 2011. Symptoms presented themselves after the birth of my daughter 7 years ago.

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 Lynayah

Lynayah

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 556 posts

Posted 21 March 2012 - 11:14 AM

Hi everyone, I posted a question last week about having recurring pain on my left side under my left bottom rib.Sometimes it is also mide left back pain. It happens when I get glutened and lasts for a few weeks. I started doing some research and was wondering if it may be a hiatal hernia. It started after I had my daughter (the same time the celiac started) It seems to correct itself but it does take a few weeks. It seems when I get Glutened I start to bloat and I initially feel a stabbing pain under my ribs that subsides have the gas is released. The pain turns duller and is just annoying because it also seems to affect my upper back. Anyway just wondering i anyone has any experience with both Celiac and a hernia.

Thanks

I have a Hiatal Hernia, and I used to get pain in the back shoulder area. I have no idea if there's a connection between that and a hernia, however.
Gluten Intolerant with double HLA-DQ6. Pre-diagnosis: Weight gain, swelling, diarrhea, mouth sores, back pain, body aches, fatigue, muscle weakness, BRAIN FOG, runny nose, recurrent sinus infections, bruising, low white cell count (whole life), and more. My feet were so bad, I could hardly walk. Toward the end: Chronic Vit. D deficiency (almost no D in my body despite a quality multi-vit. each day).

There is hope! Gluten-free since Sept. '09, and I have my life back - I feel better than in many, many years!

Favorite quotation: "You must do the thing you think you cannot do." - Eleanor Roosevelt

#3 jerseyangel

jerseyangel

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,939 posts

Posted 21 March 2012 - 01:38 PM

I found out I had a Hiatal Hernia after having a follow up endoscopy for my Celiac. I had no symptoms except occasional coughing that would always lead to hiccups--the doctor said that the hernia could cause that. I've had no other issues from it.
Patti

"Life is what happens while you're busy making other plans"

"When people show you who they are, believe them"--Maya Angelou

"Bloom where you are planted"--Bev

#4 UKGail

UKGail

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 185 posts

Posted 22 March 2012 - 04:10 AM

I have a small one. My acid reflux issues are linked solely to to gluten ingestion. I don't have any other upper abdominal pain, but I do have trouble swallowing, which hasn't improved with the gluten free diet.

#5 Bubba's Mom

Bubba's Mom

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,457 posts

Posted 22 March 2012 - 07:12 AM

Thanks

I have a hiatal hernia too. It only occasionally gives me symptoms. Mine acts like a knot of balled up muscle just to the right of my sternum. If I push on it, or massage it I can feel it spasm and then it stops hurting.

I'm wondering if you've had an endoscope? Your symptoms could be gastritus or even duodenal ulcer?

* I've read that most women that have given birth have a hiatal hernia. It happens during labor quite often.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: