19 replies to this topic

#1 livelifelarge24

livelifelarge24

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 180 posts

Posted 24 March 2012 - 09:09 AM

How important is it to avoid this in cosmetics and how do I know if a product I have containing this is gluten free?
"A man too busy to take care of his health is like a mechanic too busy to take care of his tools." - Spanish Proverb

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 livelifelarge24

livelifelarge24

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 180 posts

Posted 24 March 2012 - 09:20 AM

More spedically I am wondering if neutrogena oil free acne stress control face wash is gluten free. The only tricky ingredient I can see is tocopherol acetate. Their offices aren't open on the weekends for me to call.
"A man too busy to take care of his health is like a mechanic too busy to take care of his tools." - Spanish Proverb

#3 psawyer

psawyer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,027 posts

Posted 24 March 2012 - 09:29 AM

I would not worry about it. Most current lists of safe food ingredients do not list tocopherols as a concern, so I can't imagine why they would be an issue in cosmetics.
Peter
Diagnosis by biopsy of practically non-existent villi; gluten-free since July 2000.
Type 1 (autoimmune) diabetes diagnosed in March 1986
Markham, Ontario (borders on Toronto)

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#4 livelifelarge24

livelifelarge24

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 180 posts

Posted 24 March 2012 - 09:37 AM

I would not worry about it. Most current lists of safe food ingredients do not list tocopherols as a concern, so I can't imagine why they would be an issue in cosmetics.

I have found quite a few articles online and even on this forum about tocopherol acetate being either synthetically or naturally derived. From what I've read if its naturally derived it can come from wheat, corn or soy. I just don't know if there's a way to tell which my new product comes from. It is not listed d- or di- before so I guess I have to call the company. I should have posted this is in a different section because I think what I'm really looking for is anyone with experience using this actual Neutrogena product since I cannot get ahold of the company until Monday.

#5 psawyer

psawyer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,027 posts

Posted 24 March 2012 - 10:34 AM

Yes, tocopherol can be naturally derived from a number of sources, including wheat. But the amount of protein contamination in the result is so low as to be below detectable limits. This material is then used as a minor ingredient in a product. The science tells me not to worry.
Peter
Diagnosis by biopsy of practically non-existent villi; gluten-free since July 2000.

#6 livelifelarge24

livelifelarge24

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 180 posts

Posted 24 March 2012 - 10:40 AM

That is good to hear! When I read that I needed to be concerned about that ingredient as well it felt frustrating to me because it is in a LOT of cosmetics. I have gotten glutened from very small amounts in the past so I am always overly-cautious.

#7 joe19

joe19

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 28 March 2012 - 05:25 AM

The new gluten free rice krispies have alpha tocopherol acetate as a ingredients. Does anybdy know if that is safe? I had 2 bowls and got severe stomach cramps/pain and DH has broken out all over my hands again. That's is only ingredient I see that may cause problems. Has anybody else had problems with the new rice krispies?

#8 livelifelarge24

livelifelarge24

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 180 posts

Posted 28 March 2012 - 07:41 AM

I eat the gluten free rice krispies quite often with no issues and I am sensitive to very small amounts of gluten. I also have dh. I wonder if there's another food allergy on there or something else you're missing?

#9 psawyer

psawyer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,027 posts

Posted 28 March 2012 - 08:10 AM

I eat gluten-free Rice Krispies regularly, along with Rice Chex. No problems.
Peter

#10 joe19

joe19

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 28 March 2012 - 08:20 AM

Ok. Thank you both for the help and input

#11 IrishHeart

IrishHeart

Warrior Princess

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,544 posts

Posted 28 March 2012 - 04:32 PM

The new gluten free rice krispies have alpha tocopherol acetate as a ingredients. Does anybdy know if that is safe? I had 2 bowls and got severe stomach cramps/pain and DH has broken out all over my hands again. That's is only ingredient I see that may cause problems. Has anybody else had problems with the new rice krispies?

I eat the gluten-free Rice Krispies often and have no problems whatsoever.

FWIW, I am a low-trace-gluten reactor :lol: so I would have an issue right away.

"Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is. The way we cope with it makes the difference." Virginia Satir

"The strongest of all warriors are these two - time and patience." Leo Tolstoy

"If you want to lift yourself up, lift up someone else" Booker T. Washington

“If idiots could fly, the sky would be like an airport.”― Laura Davenport 

"Do or do not. There is no try. "-  Yoda.

"LTES"  Gem 2014

Misdiagnosed for 25+ years; Finally Diagnosed with Celiac  11/01/10.  Double DQ2 genes. This thing tried to kill me. I view Celiac as a fire breathing dragon --and I have run my sword right through his throat.
I. Win. bliss-smiley-emoticon.gif

#12 IrishHeart

IrishHeart

Warrior Princess

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,544 posts

Posted 28 March 2012 - 04:37 PM

More spedically I am wondering if neutrogena oil free acne stress control face wash is gluten free. The only tricky ingredient I can see is tocopherol acetate. Their offices aren't open on the weekends for me to call.

Honestly, the only "cosmetics" worry I would have (personally )is if a LIPSTICK contains wheat germ oil.
That should be listed.

"Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is. The way we cope with it makes the difference." Virginia Satir

"LTES"  Gem 2014

Misdiagnosed for 25+ years; Finally Diagnosed with Celiac  11/01/10.  Double DQ2 genes. This thing tried to kill me. I view Celiac as a fire breathing dragon --and I have run my sword right through his throat.

#13 Skylark

Skylark

Glutenologist

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,490 posts

Posted 31 March 2012 - 05:15 PM

Honestly, the only "cosmetics" worry I would have (personally )is if a LIPSTICK contains wheat germ oil.
That should be listed.

I've also seen hydrolyzed wheat protein in shampoo. I don't know if it's a worry since shampoo washes off but it's easy enough to find a shampoo without gluten deliberately added as a selling point. :lol:

I don't worry about tocopherol either.

#14 IrishHeart

IrishHeart

Warrior Princess

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,544 posts

Posted 31 March 2012 - 05:17 PM

I've also seen hydrolyzed wheat protein in shampoo. I don't know if it's a worry since shampoo washes off but it's easy enough to find a shampoo without gluten deliberately added as a selling point. :lol:

I don't worry about tocopherol either.

true, true :)

I should add that I also avoid wheat protein in shampoo.

"LTES"  Gem 2014

#15 livelifelarge24

livelifelarge24

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 180 posts

Posted 31 March 2012 - 06:23 PM

I react to any type of wheat or oats in shampoo, conditioner, makeup, body soap. I had a full blown reaction from mascara with hydrolyzed wheat protein. Definitely steer clear of gluten in your beauty products!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: