19 replies to this topic

#16 Di2011

Di2011

Advanced Community Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 660 posts

Posted 04 April 2012 - 01:08 AM

Some of us with DH have a problem with sals (salicylates) http://salicylatesensitivity.com/

btw I also don't tolerate any of the commercial products like soap, shampoo etc. I am slowly (as finances allow) converting to no gluten and ((even harder)) low sals personal products. It is a very tough road but seems to make a difference.
My circumstances are extreme so I hope you don't need to go down this road.

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#17 san-luisa-rey-NYC

san-luisa-rey-NYC

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 03:14 PM

Honestly, the only "cosmetics" worry I would have (personally )is if a LIPSTICK contains wheat germ oil.
That should be listed.

Actually, it's NOT usually listed as "wheat germ oil" (except with more conscientious companies like Burt's Bees). "Alpha tocopheryl" often is wheat germ oil, but is not spelled out as such... presumably because the manufacturer is thereby free to use whatever the cheapest, most available source of alpha tocpheryl is at a given moment (wheat, corn, etc..), according to market fluctuations.

For months I was getting serious acne (and i'm past the age of acne) when using moisturizer with A.tocopheryl. I found a moisturizer without it (not easy to find), and the acne cleared up immediately. This isn't definitive proof of having been face-glutened, but it's enough to make me wary.

#18 1desperateladysaved

1desperateladysaved

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,220 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 03:46 PM

If I wasn't sure, I would test a little on my skin and watch for a reaction.

#19 Gemini

Gemini

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,160 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 12:11 PM

Actually, it's NOT usually listed as "wheat germ oil" (except with more conscientious companies like Burt's Bees). "Alpha tocopheryl" often is wheat germ oil, but is not spelled out as such... presumably because the manufacturer is thereby free to use whatever the cheapest, most available source of alpha tocpheryl is at a given moment (wheat, corn, etc..), according to market fluctuations.

For months I was getting serious acne (and i'm past the age of acne) when using moisturizer with A.tocopheryl. I found a moisturizer without it (not easy to find), and the acne cleared up immediately. This isn't definitive proof of having been face-glutened, but it's enough to make me wary.

http://www.glutenfre...wheat-germ-oil/

This ought to clear up any concerns about safety for Celiacs.  You most likely have a topical allergy to one of the ingredients, which is very common.

#20 psawyer

psawyer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,069 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 05:36 PM

I missed this when it was posted two weeks ago. It is just wrong. Thanks, Gemini, for waking it up.

Alpha-tocopherol can be derived from wheat germ oil, but it is not the same thing. Starch (the single word in an ingredient list) is corn starch. But you can't put whole kernel corn into something and call it "starch." If you see alpha-tocopherol or tocopherol acetate it refers to a highly refined extract from vegetable oil (probably soybean oil), but not the actual oil itself.
Peter
Diagnosis by biopsy of practically non-existent villi; gluten-free since July 2000.
Type 1 (autoimmune) diabetes diagnosed in March 1986
Markham, Ontario (borders on Toronto)

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: