This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Gluten And Skin Conditions

Di2011

Di2011 Enthusiast

Those of us in DH (dermatitis herpetiformis) forum community have been posting about the common skin conditions effecting those with celiac / gluten intolerance.

Open Original Shared Link

We are interested to hear from the wider forum community about your experiences with any skin conditions you are or have experienced.

Thanks in advance.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Kjas Newbie

I've had the following: DH, contact dermatitis, really bad acne and hair loss.

All of it has cleared up once I removed gluten and other irritants.

mushroom Proficient

Many of my ailments are skin related. As the largest organ in the body, I suppose that makes sense :P

I have had pilaris keratosis since I was a child. I remember my mother telling me it was because I did not eat my vegetables. But I used to eat the raw vegetables from the vegetable garden, not the overcooked mush she used to serve :rolleyes:

IN my 40's I developed red blotchy discs on my arms which would scale over and the scales drop of leaving clear skin underneath. Nothing itched. This eventuallly developed into psoriasis, and since before that happened I had been diagnosed with RF negative rheumatoid arthritis, the diagnosis was subsequently changed to psoriatic arthritis.

For the last ten years I have had extremely dry skin, as opposed to the oily skin I had had all my life.

After going gluten free, I had hives for about a year until I discovered which foods triggered them (nightshades, soy, then citrus - the latter (or possibly all) a product of leaky gut syndrome).

Fortunately, no DH, exzema or other skin manifestations.

Di2011 Enthusiast

I've had the following: DH, contact dermatitis, really bad acne and hair loss.

All of it has cleared up once I removed gluten and other irritants.

Hi,

what are your other irritants?

Di2011 Enthusiast

Many of my ailments are skin related. As the largest organ in the body, I suppose that makes sense :P

I have had pilaris keratosis since I was a child. I remember my mother telling me it was because I did not eat my vegetables. But I used to eat the raw vegetables from the vegetable garden, not the overcooked mush she used to serve :rolleyes:

Fortunately, no DH, exzema or other skin manifestations.

Did anything trigger or did you know why the hives came on?

I have always had pilaris keratosis particularly on my outer upper arms. I always thought my lower legs were prowen to "ingrown hairs" but now after all over DH know that these are DH legions.

Di2011 Enthusiast

Just as happy to hear from people who have had NO skin issues

mushroom Proficient

Did anything trigger or did you know why the hives came on?

I have always had pilaris keratosis particularly on my outer upper arms. I always thought my lower legs were prowen to "ingrown hairs" but now after all over DH know that these are DH legions.

Potatoes and lemons/limes triggered my hives.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Di2011 Enthusiast

So is it acid that triggers, mushroom?

dilettantesteph Collaborator

I had skin issues which cleared up gluten free. I had sores on my scalp. They would pick off like huge flakes of dandruff, and they itched and hurt. I had sores on my hands and arms and legs to a lesser extent. They were like itchy little blisters which would scratch off. In the winter my hands would get dry and cracked despite bathing them in lotions. I got sores on the inside of my mouth.

I'm glad I don't get that stuff anymore.

Kjas Newbie

My irritants for food are gluten, dairy, soy and potato. They are the worst which produce a very obvious reaction although there are plenty of others which are too long to list here the main culprits being grains, legumes, starches and sugarcane, and obviously any kind of processed food, additives etc .

Other irritants for me are anything chemical or synthetic. That includes in food or anything I use on me or around me so most soaps, shampoos, conditioners, perfumes, etc.

The problem is I don't know what is autoimmune related, what is related to my ASD (I'm an aspie) or what is simply genetic.

Bubba's Mom Enthusiast

I've had Pilaris Keratosis for years, although I didn't know it had a name. I thought it was clogged hair folicles.

I also had bumps on my back and shoulders that appeared more like acne than DH. They were very itchy, and I couldn't not scratch them. One lesion has been there for over a year now, and is slow healing even on a gluten-free diet.

I've had skin cancer on my face and arm too.

llama3 Apprentice

I had bad acne all through my teen years. Now I have very dry skin - on my hands it's so dry that it will split open for no reason, and I've tried different lotions and none of them help. I also have hidradenitis suppurativa, and keratosis pilaris, which is worse on my lower calves and I actually have bald patches on my calves (I can't shave them because the skin is so sensitive) from the hair falling out for some reason. Oh, and I've developed (severe) rashes in response to things that my dermatologist says no one is allergic to.

mushroom Proficient

So is it acid that triggers, mushroom?

No, I don't have a problem with acids, but I do have a rather extreme problem with lectins. :(:rolleyes:

Di2011 Enthusiast

I had bad acne all through my teen years. Now I have very dry skin - on my hands it's so dry that it will split open for no reason, and I've tried different lotions and none of them help. I also have hidradenitis suppurativa, and keratosis pilaris, which is worse on my lower calves and I actually have bald patches on my calves (I can't shave them because the skin is so sensitive) from the hair falling out for some reason. Oh, and I've developed (severe) rashes in response to things that my dermatologist says no one is allergic to.

Have you tried heel balm?

llama3 Apprentice

Have you tried heel balm?

No - does that really work?

Di2011 Enthusiast

I am waiting to here back from our Aussie providers of heel balm about the ingredients so I am using it sparingly until then. It is very very good for dry skin and don't let the 'heel' in the title stop you using it elsewhere. My cracked/dry skin on my hands is greatly improved since using it on my hands.

UKGail Rookie

Small patches of ezcema from time to time (usually when stressed). Nothing since gluten free.

Dry and itchy skin my whole life, with itchy bumpy bits. Still a problem.

Frequent painful skin splits in the corner of my mouth, on my hands and feet. Seems better than it used to be. I use lots of heavy duty moisturisers.

Itchy spots all over my scalp when I first had a major celiac response about 25 years ago, which very slowly settled down. Came back last year when celiac symptoms worsened again in a big way. Now improving after 6 months gluten free, but not gone entirely.

Tiny itchy sores appear here and there, and don't heal well. They seem to crop up after gluten exposure.

Hives on my neck, chest and arm, for the first time last year as celiac symptoms escalated, now gone (they were at least partly photosensitive).

Burning skin on my face also arrived last year. Mainly gone, but flares up with minor gluten exposure.

Not sure if I have triggers other than gluten, but dairy would be a big suspect for me.

I have never seen an allergist or a dermatologist. My GP treated the ezcema patches with steroid cream. I find anti-histamines helpful for most of the rest.

pricklypear1971 Community Regular

A thick remedy for super dry spots is a homemade concoction of pure Shea butter and olive oil. Just mix olive oil in to achieve the consistency you desire. It's a great moisturizer.

Googles Community Regular

I have dermatitis on my face and something on my scalp. I also get dry hands and have these little red splotches with darker red dots in them. I have never had those identified. I use something called protopic for the dermatitis when it gets really bad. I am lucky that most of it doesn't bother me (I actually have to look into the mirror to tell if there is dermatitis on my face). But the meds make my face burn, so I try to avoid using it.

sreese68 Enthusiast

My cystic acne I had been fighting for 27 years went away gluten free. (I had even done two rounds of Accutane.) I still get a couple tiny pimples during certain parts of my cycle, but they are minor. My dermatologist was impressed.

My hair is thin, but I'm not sure if it's getting a touch thicker or if it's wishful thinking.

My son's eczema hasn't gone away after 3 months gluten-free, but we're not sure if he's sensitive to gluten or not.

Mom-of-Two Contributor

My 7yo has keratosis pilaris and it is the one reason I am having her celiac tested. She did not have it as a baby or toddler, only developed in the last 18 months, my pediatrician said it was common and was not an issue, but after I discovered I had celiac, I am now suspicious of this condition she has only on her legs--- fronts of the shins, primarily on the knees really heavy bumps. She gets some weird dryness and red spots also on her hands which I am convinced is not normal.

I have very sensitive itchy skin, but never had any skin manifestations of celiac that I know of, I have bumpy arms/KP as well. And itchy scalp, my dermatologist has never diagnosed me with any skin conditions per se, but I am newly diagnosed and haven't seen her since finding out.

My DH has psoriasis and psoriatic arthritis and we are so hopeful that being gluten-free will help him too.

RGB Newbie

Besides severe digestive complications, stomach pain, muscle weakness, fatigue, brain fog, etc., one of my main "delayed" symptoms is skin acne/exzema on my face, upper back, arms, legs, chest, scalp, & stomach. They are a combination if painful and itchy bumps.

I have been gluten free for almost 2 years and still suffer, which I believe has also been triggered by stress, slowing my healing process while contributing to possible "leaky gutt" syndrome.

Here's my question...have any of you struggled with doctors and dermatologists taking you seriously?

Di2011 Enthusiast

Here's my question...have any of you struggled with doctors and dermatologists taking you seriously?

You would only have to read a few weeks of post in the DH section of this forum to know how many of us have problems with doctors & derms. DH and super sensitive people are the biggest advocates of self diagnosis and having trust in what you know is not 'right' and suspicious of multiple diagnosis from the same or multiple medical practioners. So yes.. most of us in the DH world would say a big YES.

Archived