arrowShare this page:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

Ads by Google:
Celiac.com Sponsor:                                    

Photo
- - - - -

Went To A Party Last Night.... With A Wonderful Host!

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Monklady123

Monklady123

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 483 posts

Posted 25 March 2012 - 05:38 AM

This was a retirement party for my husband's boss. About 25 or so people. It wasn't a sit-down dinner, just one where you fill your plate then go find a place to sit among several rooms and seating areas. So I didn't bother to tell the hostess anything about gluten, figuring that there is always salad. Or something. Anyway, I didn't want to be a problem for her since this isn't someone I know well, although we have been to her house before.

Well...last year we did go to the house of another colleague, who had a smaller gathering. My dh did mention to that woman about celiac and gluten and she did a fabulous job cooking gluten free. So it turns out that that woman from last year talked to last night's hostess and almost everything was gluten free! :) :)

There was a stuffed shell thing that obviously wasn't, but she actually made a small pan of gluten free pasta baked with cheese, etc. Then there was rice, chicken peanut stew, a seafood gumbo type of thing, two salads, and even fruit and ice cream for desert (and she told me she checked the label on the ice cream although as she said "why the heck do they need wheat in ice cream?" lol...)

And, she said "really it isn't difficult to cook gluten free. Turns out that most food *is* gluten free." lol.. (that's what I always tell people when they start in on "what CAN you eat?") -- Anyway, my dh works with some nice people. :)

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 mommida

mommida

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,925 posts

Posted 25 March 2012 - 07:38 AM

Very cool! Are they hiring? :D
Michigan

#3 lucia

lucia

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 497 posts

Posted 25 March 2012 - 01:42 PM

Nice ... I love when people surprise you!

#4 Monklady123

Monklady123

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 483 posts

Posted 25 March 2012 - 02:57 PM

And the best part is that I feel 100% fine today. :)

#5 squirmingitch

squirmingitch

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,295 posts

Posted 25 March 2012 - 04:17 PM

Feel good story! WOW! I'm so happy for you. What a wonderful bunch of people your hubby works with.Posted Image

Self diagnosed dh Sept. 2011~~~ confirmed dx July 18, 2012
Gluten free Dec. 2011
Soy free Dec. 2011
Hubs self diagnosed dh March 30, 2012
Hubs gluten free March 30, 2012

Summer 2013 We both have added back a little soy which is near unavoidable & we are doing okay with that small amount.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: