This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Is There Gluten-free, MSG Free Beef &/or Chicken Bullion?

squirmingitch

squirmingitch Veteran

I'm looking for a gluten-free, msg free beef & chicken bouillon. And not a bouillon with the msg listed under another name. Can anyone help?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

psawyer Proficient

Good luck with that.

MSG is the sodium salt of glutamic acid, a naturally occurring amino acid present in just about every protein, whether animal or vegetable. As protein breaks down (commonly via hydrolysis) glutamate radicals are released. If this does not happen during the manufacturing process, it will happen in your body as you digest the protein. Once the glutamate radical meets up with a sodium ion (your body contains lots of salt), you get MSG.

We can debate concentration levels, and speed of absorption, but if it contains chicken or beef, it contains "hidden" MSG.

auzzi Newbie

[url=Open Original Shared Link

psawyer Proficient

No Added MSG

Yup, they didn't add any. They didn't have to. It was already there. ;)

squirmingitch Veteran

Very interesting Peter. Thank you. I did not quite understand that before you explained it that way.

Pauliewog Contributor

Have you seen the Pacific Foods soups? I don't know if they have a cube bullion. I have bought their organic bullions in the carton.

Open Original Shared Link

Skylark Collaborator

I don't think you understood what Peter is trying to say, Pauliewog. As meat is boiled, the proteins break down and MSG is naturally formed. There is no such thing as an MSG-free commercial broth or bouillon.

You can make a low-MSG broth at home that you should tolerate by boiling chicken without the skin for no longer than 2 hours, quick-cooling the pot in cold water, and freezing the broth promptly. It is not a particularly rich-tasting stock, partly becasue of the low MSG. Supposedly you can get the broth richer by cracking the bones but I haven't tried it. You can make beef broth this way too, but finding freshly-slaughtered beef that doesn't have some MSG already accumulated in the meat from aging is tricky.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

BethM55 Enthusiast

I use "Better than Bouillion" brand. The low sodium chicken version is gluten free (last time I checked, anyway). You might check their ingredients, see if that or their vegetable bouillion might work for you.

squirmingitch Veteran

I will see if I can find it. Thanks.

Skylark Collaborator

Sometimes I feel like I'm completely wasting my time here. Are you even bothering to read my posts, squirmingitch? Or do you really not care about MSG?

Better than Bouillon Low Sodium Chicken:

Chicken Meat with Natural Juices [contains MSG formed in processing], Salt, Organic Cane Juice Solids, Maltodextrin (from corn), Chicken Fat, Yeast Extract [high MSG], Natural Flavors [MSG], Dried Onion, Potato Flour, Spice Extractives, Turmeric. * Minimally processed, no artificial ingredients. Sodium content has been reduced from 680mg to 500 mg per reference serving.

Better than Bouillon Vegetable:

(Carrot, Celery, Onion), Salt, Hydrolyzed Corn Protein [MSG], Maltodextrin, Cane Sugar, Canola Oil, Yeast Extract [MSG], Corn Syrup Solids, Natural Flavors [MSG], Dried Potato, Turmeric.

pricklypear1971 Community Regular

Be careful, some BTB has gluten in it. Others use some ingredients I found suspicious because they were in foods that had made my rash flare.

Open Original Shared Link

MaryJones2 Enthusiast

I have not seen a bouillon that doesn't contain some form of MSG (yeast extract). I would think the Kosher and Middle Eastern versions would be your best bet.

squirmingitch Veteran

Skylark, yes I read your posts seriously. I DO check products out myself before I eat them. I'm not just going to go flying out & buy something because someone mentions it. I am however, grateful when people do try to help & answer a question I have posed. I am also grateful for info. that people like you & Peter & Prickly & anyone else provides. I got the big picture the minute Peter explained what he did. Okay, so my own body makes msg. And I appreciate your telling me how to make the broth myself that I should be able to tolerate. But I will just simply do without for now as we are renting while we build a home & the place we are renting .... well, the kitchen is like a closet & I'm sure you can imagine I have my hands full with planning the home & all the details involved in that & we haven't even begun to build yet. Plus, we have our old home up for sale which is 700 miles away. No time for spending hours making my own even if this kitchen were user friendly. But I have copied your instructions for when we are in the new house, in the kitchen I designed to be user friendly to me.smile.gif

jeanzdyn Apprentice

Herb-ox brand states on the label "no gluten" and "no msg".

chicken flavor and beef flavor, both labels make the claims.

squirmingitch Veteran

Thank you Jean but the whole point was the word "added" as to the msg. It states no msg ADDED. So they don't add any but never the less msg is in there. Please read psawyer's 2 posts righ near the top of this thread & you will understand what we're talking about.

Skylark Collaborator

I'm glad you understood! :) Good luck finding broth you do tolerate.

I'll throw out another brand that is good and gluten-free, Pacific Natural Foods fre range organic chicken broth. There is no yeast extract in it, only various chicken concentrates. It's a broth, not a bouillon. Their beef broth does have the autolyzed yeast extract for MSG, unfortunately.

squirmingitch Veteran

I'll check it out. Thanks.

Bubba's Mom Enthusiast

I was looking for broth or bouillion without added MSG or autolyzed yeast extract, and no soy. It was hard, but I found Pacific organic free range chicken broth, and Kroger's culinary chicken stock are ones that meet my needs.

I haven't seen a condensed version, like a cube, but thought maybe I could make my own by cooking the broth down a bit until it's more concentrated, and then freezing it in ice cube trays? Once frozen the cubes could be dumped into a freezer bag. Then we could grab one or two to boost the flavor in recipes where we don't want to add a lot of extra liquid?

I'm going to try it later this week when I have a bunch of other cooking to do. I'll be in the kitchen anyway. :D

• 5 years later...
James Post Newbie
On 3/28/2012 at 10:00 PM, Bubba's Mom said:

I was looking for broth or bouillion without added MSG or autolyzed yeast extract, and no soy. It was hard, but I found Pacific organic free range chicken broth, and Kroger's culinary chicken stock are ones that meet my needs.

I haven't seen a condensed version, like a cube, but thought maybe I could make my own by cooking the broth down a bit until it's more concentrated, and then freezing it in ice cube trays? Once frozen the cubes could be dumped into a freezer bag. Then we could grab one or two to boost the flavor in recipes where we don't want to add a lot of extra liquid?

I'm going to try it later this week when I have a bunch of other cooking to do. I'll be in the kitchen anyway. :D

Like you, I found that real natural broths are a rarity. When they are labeled as such, they often contain hidden MSG, such as yeast extracts. And when they are really natural, the price is prohibitive. 

To cut a long story short.... I am setting up a micro business in the rural north of Thailand (where I live mostly), which allows the artisanal production of vegetable broth by solar PV energy, which are than dehydrated using solar dryers.  I am still not sure about chicken broths, but when I do, it would be without skins and de-fatted. 

After powdering, I then plan to add a healthy & tasty dehydrated herb & spice mix that should double as natural preservatives, in addition to a little salt. Since we plan to vacuum pack the broth this would not be required during transport, but I believe this is necessary in case moist is attracted while using the broth powder.

While this procedure is labor intensive, it is feasible to sell the dehydrated real natural broth at prices more close to the so-called natural broth powder. Upon success, the concept can be easily multiplied, providing better work for locals, and a step forwards toward affordable healthy food.

I have two questions hereto:

1. Is it correct that e.g. dehydrated cinnamon and lemon grass retain their preserving properties?

2. Is my assumption correct that it is better to dehydrate these herbs & spices for better preservation and taste? (rather than adding them to the broth).

Thanks for your highly appreciated opinion.

kareng Grand Master
24 minutes ago, James Post said:

Like you, I found that real natural broths are a rarity. When they are labeled as such, they often contain hidden MSG, such as yeast extracts. And when they are really natural, the price is prohibitive. 

To cut a long story short.... I am setting up a micro business in the rural north of Thailand (where I live mostly), which allows the artisanal production of vegetable broth by solar PV energy, which are than dehydrated using solar dryers.  I am still not sure about chicken broths, but when I do, it would be without skins and de-fatted. 

After powdering, I then plan to add a healthy & tasty dehydrated herb & spice mix that should double as natural preservatives, in addition to a little salt. Since we plan to vacuum pack the broth this would not be required during transport, but I believe this is necessary in case moist is attracted while using the broth powder.

While this procedure is labor intensive, it is feasible to sell the dehydrated real natural broth at prices more close to the so-called natural broth powder. Upon success, the concept can be easily multiplied, providing better work for locals, and a step forwards toward affordable healthy food.

I have two questions hereto:

1. Is it correct that e.g. dehydrated cinnamon and lemon grass retain their preserving properties?

2. Is my assumption correct that it is better to dehydrate these herbs & spices for better preservation and taste? (rather than adding them to the broth).

Thanks for your highly appreciated opinion.

Perhaps you could find a university that has degrees in food science and ask them these questions?

James Post Newbie

Hello Kareng,

Thanks for the suggestion; I contacted the University of Wageningen/Netherlands Food Science division. I hope it will have effect. But besides the technicality questions, I would like some feedback on what you and your members think about the concept to produce dehydrated broth. As mentioned, I could not find this approach anywhere on the Internet (except those who do it themselves). Either its MSG, hidden or not and other crazy ingredient such as palm shortening, rice flour and sugar.

It would help me a lot when you could discuss that with your readers. IMO they could benefit but I would like to know what they feel.

Thanks,

James

Jmg Mentor

Hi James,

I make my own broth/stock from both chicken and beef. I can't answer the technical questions but on this:

2 hours ago, James Post said:

But besides the technicality questions, I would like some feedback on what you and your members think about the concept to produce dehydrated broth.

I think the concept is sound. A lot of people who are interested in the health benefits of broths and stocks lack the time or inclination to prepare them themselves. I could see people being interested providing that they were reassured on the quality of the ingredients going in, the manufacturing process itself and critically that dehydrating wasn't severely impacting on the health benefits.  For that I think you'd need to include a little science in the marketing. 

For this community you'd also need to ensure and stress that there was absolutely no gluten involved at any stage. 

Best wishes

Matt

Archived