10 replies to this topic

#1 BethM55

BethM55

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 295 posts

Posted 26 March 2012 - 08:38 AM

Last Friday I bought a grinder bottle of Pink Himalayan Sea Salt from Trader Joe's, and used it several times during the weekend. Last night I noticed that it is made in a facility that also processes wheat. Heck. You'd think salt would be safe, right? :blink: Today my digestive system is a little off, with some nausea and tummy rumbles. I'm also achy and tired and feel 'fibro-y', which is my more usual response to gluten.

Should I be blaming the salt? Or is this 'cya' from TJ's, do you think? I ate at home all weekend, only had food that I prepared in my own kitchen. (My kitchen is shared with my spouse who is not gluten free, but we are very careful. Last week I bought myself my very own brand new toaster, so we are no longer sharing the toaster oven. It was time.)

Maybe I should give away that salt. humph. <_<
Self diagnosed gluten intolerant, gluten free since 12/09.
Diagnosed with fibromyalgia about 15 years ago. Fibro symptoms have improved but not gone away with gluten free living.
Osteoarthritis, mostly in hands and neck and lumbar spine. Not sure if going gluten-free has helped that problem, but it certainly can't hurt. (Am very grateful that so far no sign of the RA that is devastating my mother lately.)
Considering a dairy free trial. Considering.

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 Skylark

Skylark

Glutenologist

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,490 posts

Posted 26 March 2012 - 10:30 AM

All those "shared facility" labels are CYA to some degree. It's hard to imagine they got gluten in salt. :blink: I'd put it in the back of the cupboard for a month or two and see whether the weird feelings appear without the salt, meaning something else is getting you.

#3 TiaMichi2

TiaMichi2

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 57 posts

Posted 26 March 2012 - 03:08 PM

I have had terrible experiences with products from Trader Joes. When I called them to let them know about my experience with the item that was listed as gluten-free, they said that they do not guarantee CC, needless to say I do not shop there. I know a lot of people with Celiac do however, and are fine. Maybe is just good old hyper sensitive me.

#4 dilettantesteph

dilettantesteph

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,992 posts

Posted 27 March 2012 - 03:26 AM

I would say that if something makes you sick, don't eat it. Don't depend on whether or not it makes someone else sick. We all have different levels of sensitivity. That being said, it can be really hard to be certain about exactly what it was that made you sick. Keep a food/symptom journal, that can help.

#5 Adalaide

Adalaide

It needs to be about 20% cooler.

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,367 posts

Posted 27 March 2012 - 06:36 AM

If you're looking for salt with amazing flavor I'd recommend Real Salt. (Yup, that's what it's called.) It's mined in Utah and is so absolutely amazing I'll never go near "table" salt again. It is my understanding (although you should check yourself) that the salt is packaged locally and there is no risk of cc. Since I live mere miles from the mine though I'm not sure if this changes outside the local area. I've been tempted to try the pink Himalayan salt but just haven't ever gotten around to it and considering the price of local stuff I can't really justify the cost.

"You don't look sick or anything"

"Well you don't look stupid, looks can be deceiving."

Celiac DX Dec 2012

CRPS DX March 2014

#6 love2travel

love2travel

Čeznem da se u Hrvatskoj!

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,828 posts

Posted 27 March 2012 - 07:22 AM

I use over 20 kinds of pure sea salt that I collect from my travels and thankfully have never had problems. However, they are all regional - I've been to the salt pans in Trapani, Sicily, and Pag Island, Croatia, and purchased directly. Same with Maldon from England. Coarse Himalayan sea salt makes a nice finishing salt. My point is to buy from the source if you can. I like the sounds of that Utah salt - sounds intriguing.

I have never set foot in a Trader Joe's (we don't have them here) so cannot comment on that aspect.
<p>Confirmed celiac disease February 2011 from biopsies. Strictly gluten free March 18 2011.Diagnosed with fibromyalgia April 13 2011.3 herniated discs, myofascial pain syndrome, IT band syndrome, 2 rotator cuff injuries - from an accident Dec. 07 - resulting in chronic pain ever since. Degenerative disc disease.Osteoarthritis in back and hips.Chronic insomnia mostly due to chronic pain.Aspartame free May 2011.

When our lives are squeezed by pressure and pain, what comes out is what is inside.

#7 BethM55

BethM55

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 295 posts

Posted 27 March 2012 - 08:51 AM

If you're looking for salt with amazing flavor I'd recommend Real Salt. (Yup, that's what it's called.) It's mined in Utah and is so absolutely amazing I'll never go near "table" salt again. It is my understanding (although you should check yourself) that the salt is packaged locally and there is no risk of cc. Since I live mere miles from the mine though I'm not sure if this changes outside the local area. I've been tempted to try the pink Himalayan salt but just haven't ever gotten around to it and considering the price of local stuff I can't really justify the cost.

I also have Real Salt at home, and Celtic Sea Salt. The Real Salt is lovely stuff! I carry some with me when I travel, as processed table salt just tastes awful to me now, sharp and bitter. I guess I'm becoming a salt snob! :lol:
Diagnosed with fibromyalgia about 15 years ago. Fibro symptoms have improved but not gone away with gluten free living.
Osteoarthritis, mostly in hands and neck and lumbar spine. Not sure if going gluten-free has helped that problem, but it certainly can't hurt. (Am very grateful that so far no sign of the RA that is devastating my mother lately.)

#8 BethM55

BethM55

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 295 posts

Posted 27 March 2012 - 08:53 AM

I use over 20 kinds of pure sea salt that I collect from my travels and thankfully have never had problems. However, they are all regional - I've been to the salt pans in Trapani, Sicily, and Pag Island, Croatia, and purchased directly. Same with Maldon from England. Coarse Himalayan sea salt makes a nice finishing salt. My point is to buy from the source if you can. I like the sounds of that Utah salt - sounds intriguing.

I have never set foot in a Trader Joe's (we don't have them here) so cannot comment on that aspect.

Your reply made me smile. :D I love that you collect regional salts! Do they each have specific uses?

#9 BethM55

BethM55

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 295 posts

Posted 27 March 2012 - 08:57 AM

I appreciate the replies. I don't know if the salt is CC'd, ("made on shared equipment with wheat") or it's something else, or not food related at all. Because I generally have a lag time for reaction of roughly 18 to 24 hours, it's hard to connect the dots. However, this too shall pass, and I am being very gentle with my digestive system this week.

#10 love2travel

love2travel

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,828 posts

Posted 27 March 2012 - 08:57 AM

Your reply made me smile. :D I love that you collect regional salts! Do they each have specific uses?

Really? Thanks! Admittedly I am a food snob. And a salt snob. One of my favourite books is a large one on salt. Just salt. Brilliant book. Anyway, they do have specific uses. Most are for finishing (i.e. fleur de sel or sel gris for sprinkling on steak just taken off the grill; one for sprinkling on soft lettuces such as Bibb; a few for sprinkling on roasted vegetables...). Smoked Maldon is lovely - such a wonderful pure salt flavour in pyramid shapes that do not melt on something warm. I would never use any of these salts in cooking - it would be a waste as they would melt. Then what's the point?

Many people bring back jewelery or clothes from their travels; I bring back ingredients such as salts. :D
<p>Confirmed celiac disease February 2011 from biopsies. Strictly gluten free March 18 2011.Diagnosed with fibromyalgia April 13 2011.3 herniated discs, myofascial pain syndrome, IT band syndrome, 2 rotator cuff injuries - from an accident Dec. 07 - resulting in chronic pain ever since. Degenerative disc disease.Osteoarthritis in back and hips.Chronic insomnia mostly due to chronic pain.Aspartame free May 2011.

When our lives are squeezed by pressure and pain, what comes out is what is inside.

#11 love2travel

love2travel

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,828 posts

Posted 27 March 2012 - 08:59 AM

I guess I'm becoming a salt snob! :lol:

Um...you and me both. I'm obsessed with different salts and their characteristics. ;)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: