15 replies to this topic

#1 nchalona

nchalona

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 26 March 2012 - 10:42 AM

I am in desperate need of quick breakfast ideas for kids (mine are 5 and 7). One of mine likes cereal, but all of the mainstream cereals that are gluten-free get soggy very quickly. They are not big egg eaters. The other primarily ate oatmeal and nutella on bread. They both like Eggos waffles, but that's a no-no now. Keep in mind that where I live only has a Wal-mart, Albertsons, and Winn Dixie. That's it. It's an hour to a Whole Foods, and I just can't make it there on the weeknds but maybe once a month, maybe.

Thanks!

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 alex11602

alex11602

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 641 posts

Posted 26 March 2012 - 10:58 AM

I am in desperate need of quick breakfast ideas for kids (mine are 5 and 7). One of mine likes cereal, but all of the mainstream cereals that are gluten-free get soggy very quickly. They are not big egg eaters. The other primarily ate oatmeal and nutella on bread. They both like Eggos waffles, but that's a no-no now. Keep in mind that where I live only has a Wal-mart, Albertsons, and Winn Dixie. That's it. It's an hour to a Whole Foods, and I just can't make it there on the weeknds but maybe once a month, maybe.

Thanks!

What mainstream cereals have you tried? My 2 and 5 year olds have had success with the Dora the Explorer cereal not getting too soggy and Berry Berry Kix weren't too bad for them. I also make waffles or pancakes with almond flour and keep them in the fridge or freezer. Rice cakes and peanut butter or with pb&j are a hit with my girls, you could use the Nutella on those. I will sometimes make them smoothies and add peanut butter for protein.

#3 Mizzo

Mizzo

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 511 posts

Posted 26 March 2012 - 11:00 AM

I make a big batch of pancakes on the wknd and freeze them with wax paper separating the layers. They microwave really well on med-high heat.

Rice cakes with Nutella or P.butter and a gogurt

corn tortillas with cheese (quesadilla like) and turkey slices

fruit smoothies with a protein (cheese or pbutter on tortilla chips )

Here's a few ideas I hope they help

#4 pricklypear1971

pricklypear1971

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,684 posts

Posted 26 March 2012 - 11:14 AM

You can make your own waffles and freeze them.

I keep a fresh fruit and chop a bit for breakfast.

I also don't add milk to the cereal, I pour it in a glass and let him add it when he sits down. That helps reduce sogginess.

You may try making muffins and freezing them - I like nut flour and coconut flour baked goods to boost fiber and protein.

I pan fry pieces of ham - Cure 81 is gluten-free.

I also fry bacon over the weekend and warm a few pieces each day.

I found hash brown patties that are gluten-free (you can make your own) and heat them in the toaster oven while I prep everything else.

I make a blender of fruit smoothies one day and freeze them in 8 oz containers. Stick one in the fridge the night before to thaw.
Apparently there is nothing that cannot happen today. ~ Mark Twain

Probable Endometriosis, in remission from childbirth since 2002.
Hashimoto's DX 2005.
Gluten-Free since 6/2011.
DH (and therefore Celiac) dx from ND
Responsive to iodine withdrawal for DH (see quote, above).

Genetic tests reveal half DQ2, half DQ8 - I'm a weird bird!

#5 mamaupupup

mamaupupup

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 284 posts

Posted 26 March 2012 - 11:29 AM

Hi there! Yes, I spent last night pre-making batches of gluten-free pancakes for the week!
Big favorite here: gluten-free Chex--and it comes in many different flavors--they should have it at your local stores.

#6 nchalona

nchalona

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 26 March 2012 - 11:33 AM

Hi there! Yes, I spent last night pre-making batches of gluten-free pancakes for the week!
Big favorite here: gluten-free Chex--and it comes in many different flavors--they should have it at your local stores.

Mine like Chex, but they bicker and play while they eat so they end up getting soggy towards the end. If they'd only just sit and eat!

#7 kareng

kareng

HO! HO! HO!

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,317 posts

Posted 26 March 2012 - 11:45 AM

Maybe they would like non breakfast foods? The first time I told my son he can have left- over pizza, grilled cheese, quesidillas, left over hamburger, etc for breakfast - he was excited.

Do they really like milk on cereal? Lots of kids would rather eat to straight. You could even mix several flavors, nuts & raisians.

santa-dance.gif

Once again, we come to the Holiday Season, a deeply religious time that each of us observes, in his own way, by going to the mall of his choice. - Dave Barry

“The main reason Santa is so jolly is because he knows where all the bad girls live.”  - George Carlin

“One can never have enough socks," said Dumbledore. "Another Christmas has come and gone and I didn't get a single pair. People will insist on giving me books.”  - J.K. Rowling, Harry Potter and The Sorcerer's Stone

#8 rachelh4207

rachelh4207

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 52 posts

Posted 27 March 2012 - 08:50 AM

Apple wheels
http://pinterest.com...07223304351119/

Eggs holes (eggs in a basket ) Except use peppers or onions instead of bread. BIG hit around here. YUM!
http://pinterest.com...07223304351122/

Fruit tree. Big hit around here
http://pinterest.com...07223304119055/

My personal fav- Green smoothie
http://pinterest.com...07223304057334/
Rachel

#9 Kelleybean

Kelleybean

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 263 posts

Posted 27 March 2012 - 09:14 AM

What mainstream cereals have you tried? My 2 and 5 year olds have had success with the Dora the Explorer cereal not getting too soggy and Berry Berry Kix weren't too bad for them. I also make waffles or pancakes with almond flour and keep them in the fridge or freezer. Rice cakes and peanut butter or with pb&j are a hit with my girls, you could use the Nutella on those. I will sometimes make them smoothies and add peanut butter for protein.

I agree with the others ... we often make muffins and freeze them. You can put them in the microwave to defrost. I will use muffin mix and add some beans/pureed veggies. Or bake the Spunky Coconut's banana bread recipe in muffin tins. I also get Van's waffles from my regular grocery store and put peanut butter or cream cheese on them - that's a favorite.

#10 StephanieL

StephanieL

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 947 posts

Posted 27 March 2012 - 09:54 AM

I am another pancake/waffle freezer here! I do 3-4 batches at a time. Also, I believe Van's has an Eggo type waffle (we can't do it because of soy but I hear they are good). They have Jone's sausage or ham with it. I like to send them out with a bigger breakfast over cereal because they seem to behave better on a full stomach! lol

#11 MaryJones2

MaryJones2

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,037 posts

Posted 27 March 2012 - 12:18 PM

Amy's makes great gluten-free breakfast burritos and I don't think they have eggs - there is a tofu scramble one but I think the other two are rice, beans and cheese. They are under $3 here so will likely be less in other parts of the country. If that is in your price point you might ask Albertson's or one of your local stores that carries Amy's products to order them for you. Otherwise you can make your own a freeze. I usually just make ham and cheese toast with an egg. I can do that in less than 5 minutes now.

---------------------------------

MP - celiac for 10 years

#12 maximoo

maximoo

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 337 posts

Posted 27 March 2012 - 07:07 PM

My DD will eat udi's bagels & udi's cinnamon rolls. Fruity or chocolate pebbles are good too as well as gluten-free rice krispies with sliced bananas.And of course all Chex cereals.
Since your problem is soggy cereal that is easily fixed just pour a very small portion like 7-10 (or less--you judge) spoonfuls & just add a little milk If they want more they can have more again in a small portion. The reason it gets soggy is b/c there is too much cereal & milk in the bowl & they can't eat that amt that fast.
Oatmeal is very good if they can eat it, and there's many things you can add, apples, cinnamon, raisins, bananas, etc
Oreida makes toaster hash browns.
Glutino cereal bars & Lara bars are another option or are good for mid morning snack.
Good Luck!

#13 KeegMiles

KeegMiles

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 28 March 2012 - 04:47 AM

These are some great suggestions & I will definitely keep watching this thread. My DS is allergic to eggs & milk as well so I am always on the look out for breakfast ideas.

I am also one that makes big batches of pancakes and freeze/refridgerate them. DS also likes Glutino breakfast bars. They are pricey, but I can find them easily at Kroger in the "natural" foods area.
Lesley, mom to:

DS1-Keegan-8.28.09- Eosinophilic Esophagitis, possible Celiac still in the testing stages
IgE rxns to egg, milk, wheat, & whey

DS2-Miles-10.29.10- possible Celiac still in testing stages. referred to pediatric GI
IgG-30 after already on partial gluten-free diet

#14 Mom-of-Two

Mom-of-Two

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 231 posts

Posted 28 March 2012 - 05:16 AM

My kids are nearly the same age, 4 and 7. They are not diagnosed with a gluten issue yet, they have their testing next week -- since I recently discovered I have celiac myself. Because of all this, I do think about their meals and what I need to change if they come back positive. My hubby and I eat gluten free together but do keep some staples for the kids to still have, until we find out their results. My oldest is a huge egg eater, so I am lucky there, she requests eggs daily- but on the off days she loves waffles with berries, whole grain cereal, yogurt and fruit, etc. sadly her favorite cereal is by Kashi and is just wheat! Guess that will be the first to hit the road if she tests positive :) I would try the Chex cereals since they are crunchy, and I agree, many kids don't like milk in their cereal, you can put it in a cup with fruit, raisins, etc.

There are lots of gluten-free pancake mixes, or you can begin experimenting with your own flour combinations. Van's gluten free waffles are a hit with lots of kids, they make the mini waffles, regular, flavored, etc. but I realize they don't carry those at Wal-Mart. Sometimes making a trip and stocking up even if you have to drive is worth it, take a cooler and hit the Whole Foods on a weekend :)

Yogurt with fruit is a great breakfast, you want the protein in the morning for sure, to keep them full. Some kids love and some kids hate cottage cheese- mine used to love, now does not! :) GREAT protein there though.

Smoothies-- can be very popular for kids in the morning! Yogurt, fruit, whatever nutrition you want to sneak in there, many kids love smoothies, just be sure to use a yogurt or milk/milk alternative to get some protein into the smoothie, not just fruit that will make them crash!

Is peanut butter a go at your house? Spreading that on gluten-free toast or waffles, could bump up the protein and nutrients too, or almond butter, etc.

#15 xjrosie

xjrosie

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 124 posts

Posted 29 March 2012 - 06:42 AM

Something new at our house for kids on the go: Schar white bread roll toasted, with chocolate/hazelnut spread (NOT Nutella) and Marshmallow Fluff.

I don't care so much about the nutrients in breakfast. It's more important that I get them to eat something. I pack excellent lunches and make great dinners, so that about covers it.

Anyone know of a way to get a 10 year old to eat oranges??

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: