#16 serenity1

serenity1

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 09 July 2012 - 08:06 AM

Hi all,
I was diagnosed with Hashi's a year ago. Was quite freaked out, as you can imagine. Did tons of research, but not much hopeful info. Anyway, I went gluten and dairy free, started with supplements, improved my lifestyle. My antibodies started going down in count and the last few tests they were pretty much gone! No medication, by the way, although my doc wanted me to start those if things didn't improve.
Yes. I believe gluten has something to do with it (read some reference to a study about it).
I really hontestly believe Hashi's can be cured or controlled naturally. Just have to find naturopath doctor. I have some references if you are in Chicago.
I lot of icky symptoms are gone, such as tiredness, being cold all the time, difficulty getting out of bed, cloudy thinking, etc. Even my acne disappeared :)
By the way, my doc also told me that Hashimoto's can be affected by other imbalances, such as low iron and adrenal fatigue. etc (which is what I had). So you kinda have to check for a bunch of things and balance all systems in order to achieve faster recovery.
If you want to know more about my experience, feel free to ask...

I wish you all the best and quickest recovery.

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#17 Mom-of-Two

Mom-of-Two

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 231 posts

Posted 09 July 2012 - 10:39 AM

Absolutely get the testing for autoimmune thyroid- I had always had normal TSH tests, but once learning I had celiac my GI ran the more complete thyroid panel (T3, T4 etc) in addition to the testing for autoimmune thyroid. I am normal on all of the above tests, but it is a great thing to know that and go on making myself healthy. It is such useful information.

Good luck!

#18 mamacat

mamacat

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 17 July 2012 - 01:15 PM

They can also do a fine-needle biopsy and look at the cells to see if Hashi's exists. I never got tested for that but had a partial thyroidectomy to remove some large nodules, and it was when they looked under the microscope that they saw the Hashimoto cells... and thyroid cancer. So, no thyroid for me anymore, but at least I know I have Hashimoto's (in addition to Celiac) so I have some awareness on what's causing my tiredness, brain fog, etc.

Get the AB test and if you suspect that's what it is, ask for the fine needle biopsy too. They only take out a few cells with a needle they insert into your neck.

Good luck!
Hypothyroid - 2009
Hashimoto's dx - 2009
ThyCa & thyroidectomy - 2009
Celiac (blood test & biopsy pos) - June 2012
Gluten Free - July 2012

#19 Gemini

Gemini

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,160 posts

Posted 17 July 2012 - 02:14 PM

They can also do a fine-needle biopsy and look at the cells to see if Hashi's exists. I never got tested for that but had a partial thyroidectomy to remove some large nodules, and it was when they looked under the microscope that they saw the Hashimoto cells... and thyroid cancer. So, no thyroid for me anymore, but at least I know I have Hashimoto's (in addition to Celiac) so I have some awareness on what's causing my tiredness, brain fog, etc.

Get the AB test and if you suspect that's what it is, ask for the fine needle biopsy too. They only take out a few cells with a needle they insert into your neck.

Good luck!

There is no need to have a needle biopsy to check for Hashi's as the blood testing for antibodies will tell you that. The biopsy was used to diagnose before the antibody tests were developed. They usually do the needle biopsy if you have nodules.

#20 Gemini

Gemini

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,160 posts

Posted 17 July 2012 - 02:18 PM

Hi all,
I was diagnosed with Hashi's a year ago. Was quite freaked out, as you can imagine. Did tons of research, but not much hopeful info. Anyway, I went gluten and dairy free, started with supplements, improved my lifestyle. My antibodies started going down in count and the last few tests they were pretty much gone! No medication, by the way, although my doc wanted me to start those if things didn't improve.
Yes. I believe gluten has something to do with it (read some reference to a study about it).
I really hontestly believe Hashi's can be cured or controlled naturally. Just have to find naturopath doctor. I have some references if you are in Chicago.
I lot of icky symptoms are gone, such as tiredness, being cold all the time, difficulty getting out of bed, cloudy thinking, etc. Even my acne disappeared :)
By the way, my doc also told me that Hashimoto's can be affected by other imbalances, such as low iron and adrenal fatigue. etc (which is what I had). So you kinda have to check for a bunch of things and balance all systems in order to achieve faster recovery.
If you want to know more about my experience, feel free to ask...

I wish you all the best and quickest recovery.

Some people can control their Hashi's without replacement hormone but those are few and far between. For many of us that went many years without a diagnosis, too much damage has been done and that cannot be reversed. Besides, it isn't medication that you take, just replacement hormone that you don't make enough of. There are natural thyroid supplements also, which work very well.

#21 GlutenFreeAustinite

GlutenFreeAustinite

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 176 posts

Posted 19 July 2012 - 08:59 AM

Posted in the wrong forum! Sorry.

#22 wayward

wayward

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 30 July 2012 - 01:52 PM

I am having thyroid issues as well (very low fT3). I've been gluten-free for about 7 years now (am celiac) and had thyroid antibodies tested - 34, subclinical. My ND feels like my thyroid issues are likely Hashi's since I am celiac, and said that it's not surprising antibodies would be low since I eat gluten-free/autoimmune friendly. Since the majority of hyop cases are due to Hashi's, I'm inclined to believe her... anyone had any experience with this, subclinical antibodies but Hashi's?

#23 dawn999hall

dawn999hall

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 31 July 2012 - 02:47 PM

I recently had my TSH level tested and is is apparently fine. Are any additional or different tests needed if the problem is Hashimoto's rather than straightforward hypothyroidism?

Thanks for any help you can give.

I wish I had known about Celiac BEFORE Hashimoto's. I had my thyroid removed because I could not stop the autoimmune attack on my thyroid. My TSH was always NORMAL even right before I had my thyroid removed. My symptoms were all related to the auto-immune attack - I felt sick and had cognitive problems. I wonder if I had gone gluten free before I had my thyroid removed if I could have kept my thyroid. When it was removed the biopsy showed that my body had pretty well chewed it up! I don't think that the symptoms you have from Hashimoto's are limited to symptoms of low thyroid. For about 6 months I felt spectacularly awful and it was due to inflammation - probably of my thyroid and my gut. I did have to push my doctor to get me the tests and referrals I needed - it was a process, after every test that showed I was 'normal' and 'healthy' I felt like I had to start over with OK, I get it I don't have "X" diagnosis but I STILL FEEL CRAPPY! What next? Perseverance paid off...I got my dx for Hashimoto's and Celiac and although I still get glutened I am getting better! Hang in there - and keep pushing your doc.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: