Get email alerts Get Celiac.com E-mail Alerts  

Celiac.com Sponsor:
Celiac.com Sponsor:

Ads by Google:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

Hida Scan Results

4 posts in this topic

I recently had a HIDA scan done and my results showed my gallbladder ejection fraction was less than 10% where 35% and above is considered normal. My doctor wants to do surgery and remove my gallbladder. Especially since i have a family history. My friend told me about Celiac and that I should try getting tested before getting my gallbladder out. She thinks that could be causing my gallbladder issues. My question is, by getting tested for celiac and other intolerances and going on a gluten free diet help my gallbladder? Could this possibly make a difference after my gallbladder is already at 10% or is it too late to save the gallbladder?

I will be finding a DR and getting tested for Celiacs either way. I was just wondering if changing to a gluten free diet could POSSIBLY help my gallbladder situation or if it was too late for the gallbladder.

THanks so much for all your feedback!

Ads by Google:

If you go gluten free before getting tested for celiac, the results will be inaccurate. Celiac testing shows the effect gluten has on the body, if you're not eating gluten...

That said, it is possible to have gallbladder problems that are seperate from celiac. My gallbladder didn't cause any problems for over a year on the gluten-free diet. No problems before diagnosis either. While I was waiting (desperately) for surgery, I was on a TERRIBLE diet with no fat. Fat triggers the production of bile which is stored in your gallbladder. A LOT of processed/replacement gluten-free foods are high in fat. What may help you is a healthy diet--low fats (don't eliminate, I was stupid), no processed foods, lots of fruit, veggies, and some meat.

As your sister has been diagnosed, I'm glad you're persuing testing along those lines. It would also be possible for BOTH items to be occurring at the same time--gallbladder + gluten intolerance.

As far as my opinion on a gluten-free diet helping a bad gallbladder? I've never heard that a bad gallbladder can heal. It may feel ok for a while, but then you get another attack--from what I've read. A gluten-free diet may help other symptoms, but again, if you're getting tested, hold off on the diet. Try low fat first and see if that helps.

-Daisy

My test showed a 30% ejection faction. I was tested after going off gluten for 6 mos. I have no idea if it was worse before going gluten-free. I was told I *might* want to have a consultation with a surgeon about having it removed. I didn't want a surgery and kept looking for answers.

I read that PPI medications can make the gallbladder sluggish, reduced CCK (which stimulates the gallbladder) in Celiac disease, can make it sluggish too. CCK is produced in the duodenum, and damage there could produce less of it.

In the book Recognizing Celiac Disease, by Cleo Libonati, it states: Glallbladder motility is characterized in Celiac disease by reduced secretion of enteric hormones and/or decreased gallbladder sensitivity to them. In particular, untreated celiac disease patients show low postprandial cholecystokinin(CCK) and increased fasting somatosin levels.

*Results from effects of gluten sensitive enteropathy.

celiac disease related gallbladder motility improves on a gluten-free diet.

I stopped my PPI, which eased the pain I had been experiencing somewhat. I had also been experiencing tingling in my right shouler blade after eating, which is called referrd pain. That has stopped. As time goes on I'm feeling less pain, so I'm hopeful I won't need surgery.

I think it depends on how low functioning your GB is, and how it is making you feel, would enter into the decision to have it removed? The fact that you are having problems is a good reson to have Celiac testing though, IMO?

Here's an article about the link between Celiac and gallbladder from this site:

http://www.celiac.com/articles/119/1/Gall-Bladder-Disease-and-Celiac-Disease---By-Ronald-Hoggan/Page1.html

Best wishes to you!

I recently had a HIDA scan done and my results showed my gallbladder ejection fraction was less than 10% where 35% and above is considered normal. My doctor wants to do surgery and remove my gallbladder. Especially since i have a family history. My friend told me about Celiac and that I should try getting tested before getting my gallbladder out. She thinks that could be causing my gallbladder issues. My question is, by getting tested for celiac and other intolerances and going on a gluten free diet help my gallbladder? Could this possibly make a difference after my gallbladder is already at 10% or is it too late to save the gallbladder?

I will be finding a DR and getting tested for Celiacs either way. I was just wondering if changing to a gluten free diet could POSSIBLY help my gallbladder situation or if it was too late for the gallbladder.

THanks so much for all your feedback!

Hi I am not sure if this will help, but I have been gluten free for > 5 years.. my gallbladder didn't act up until 2 summers ago out of the blue, never had an issue until one day, I was jaundice it passed then about two weeks later, I woke with awful pain that I thought was my heart or reflux.. I was admitted for 5 days until after all the testin I had done they decided to do a HIDA scan and wouldn't you know it,, my EF was at 3 % when they removed my gallbladder it was the size of a piece of bread according to the surgeon.. i can't tell honestly say if going gluten free will save your gallbladder but I do know that having the surgery preventivetly vs emergency surg makes a world of difference..