This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Help Celiac.com:
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Dh And Sores On Gums

dani nero

dani nero Community Regular

Hi everyone. I've been posting a lot lately and am thankful for all your support. I would have been lost without it.

My DH broke out two days ago.. I think it's because I've been eating a lot of fish and still detoxing from my previous CC. At the same time I got three blisters in my nose (at the usual place) and my nose has been terribly itchy. I don't know if the blisters are ulcers, herpes, or DH, but they bleed a lot and they HURT while my whole nose itches.

It was two days ago that my gums and the lymph nodes under them got swollen up as well. I thought it was because the CC lowered my immunity.. which caused a gum and lymph infection around my wisdom teeth, so I started using anti-biotic mouth wash.

Today however I find that my gums (around my teeth, where the swelling is) are covered with white spots. At first they reminded me of the rash. I don't know what they are. Some are very small and a few are large ulcers (specifically around my wisdom teeth).

If anyone remembers, I have been complaining about throat pain after eating. I think I might have had and still be having those white spots in my throat as well.

I read that celiacs are likely to have gum infections and such which is why I always treated my mouth with anti-biotics once a month, but now I'm really confused about what is what. And they seem to be breaking out at the same time as my rash.

PS. I take very good care of my teeth. I brush, use mouth wash and floss regularly. So I know it's not poor dental hygiene.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

squirmingitch Veteran

dani, I can't speak for the sores on the gums but you mentioned you've been eating a lot of fish. Salt water fish? Because you may, like so many of us with dh, be getting affected by iodine. Many of us have to limit our iodine intake because otherwise our dh flares so bad we can't stand it.

dani, I can't speak for the sores on the gums but you mentioned you've been eating a lot of fish. Salt water fish? Because you may, like so many of us with dh, be getting affected by iodine. Many of us have to limit our iodine intake because otherwise our dh flares so bad we can't stand it.

Yes I agree. I read somewhere on this forum that both CC and iodine together cause a rash problem. The fish is one of the few foods that is soft enough to chew with swollen gums and lymph nodes sadly. I'll have to find something else now.

squirmingitch Veteran

If you can get fresh water fish it does not have the iodine content.

If you can get fresh water fish it does not have the iodine content.

I'll see what I can dig up :-) Thanks

pricklypear1971 Community Regular

Has a dentist ever checked those sores?

Have you ever had oral thrush? That said, I had thrush after my son was born that in retrospect may have been DH. Skin problems are terribly difficult.

I'm sorry you're going through this, I know or must hurt.

squirmingitch Veteran

Are you going to try to dig up fish? Good luck with that! laugh.giflaugh.giflaugh.giflaugh.giflaugh.gif

Humor never hurts.cool.gif

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Has a dentist ever checked those sores?

Have you ever had oral thrush? That said, I had thrush after my son was born that in retrospect may have been DH. Skin problems are terribly difficult.

I'm sorry you're going through this, I know or must hurt.

Hi pricklypear! Sadly my dentist appointment won't be for another three weeks.

I don't think it can be thrush because I've been on an elimination diet for the past three weeks. I just recently added clementines two days ago so there is no way the little yeasties could have overpopulated in this short amount of time. Sorry for the grossness!

I've only had severe sores like this once before when I was incredibly ill, but I don't remember a rash at the time.

I was thinking the skin problems could spread into the mouth like it does into the nose.. maybe?

Thanks for the comforting. I'm getting plenty of help from this forum so it's all ok :-)

Are you going to try to dig up fish? Good luck with that! laugh.giflaugh.giflaugh.giflaugh.giflaugh.gif

Hahahahaha :-D I was actually thinking of "digging" into the frozen fish coolers at the supermarket when I wrote that!

Hi pricklypear! Sadly my dentist appointment won't be for another three weeks.

I don't think it can be thrush because I've been on an elimination diet for the past three weeks. I just recently added clementines two days ago so there is no way the little yeasties could have overpopulated in this short amount of time. Sorry for the grossness!

I've only had severe sores like this once before when I was incredibly ill, but I don't remember a rash at the time.

I was thinking the skin problems could spread into the mouth like it does into the nose.. maybe?

Thanks for the comforting. I'm getting plenty of help from this forum so it's all ok :-)

Well, actually I'd be more concerned the thrush was caused by the state of your immune system and the antibiotic wash. Have you googled pictures of oral thrush (sorry, they can be ugly and painful looking)?

Also, could you have developed a problem with the antibiotic? That can cause local/general swelling, rash, lymph node issues.

Sure, it's possible you have DH in your mouth and up your nose. Makes my under arm DH sound like a picnic. Yowza.

Btw I had an antibiotic rash and DH once. That was a messed up experience, and I'm using polite terminology on that one. I think there was a time when I reacted to every little thing that came along....grrr.

lovegrov Collaborator

I think I'd quit the oral antibiotics. I'm not sure where you read about the gum infections (never a problem for me) but even if true if you're gluten-free I'd think that would go away.

richard

Well, actually I'd be more concerned the thrush was caused by the state of your immune system and the antibiotic wash. Have you googled pictures of oral thrush (sorry, they can be ugly and painful looking)?

Also, could you have developed a problem with the antibiotic? That can cause local/general swelling, rash, lymph node issues.

Sure, it's possible you have DH in your mouth and up your nose. Makes my under arm DH sound like a picnic. Yowza.

Btw I had an antibiotic rash and DH once. That was a messed up experience, and I'm using polite terminology on that one. I think there was a time when I reacted to every little thing that came along....grrr.

They all almost look alike to me. I don't know what they are. If they are thrush how do I get rid of them? If I stop the antibiotic and my gums are really infected then I'm still in trouble. I only started the antibiotic two days before the white patches showed up.

They all almost look alike to me. I don't know what they are. If they are thrush how do I get rid of them? If I stop the antibiotic and my gums are really infected then I'm still in trouble. I only started the antibiotic two days before the white patches showed up.

Antibiotics are notorious for causing thrush.

There's a medication they can give you - I don't remember the name, but they give it to moms/babies all the time. It may be OTC where you are. Ask a pharmacist and see? If it works, you'll know it's thrush (at least what's in your mouth).

You really should have a doctor check it out. You are correct, if it's an infection you need to have it dealt with, same if it's thrush. If its an allergy you need to know so you don't use that antibiotic again (this will be the hardest dx to get, btw).

Is there an urgent care clinic you can get into for these types of things? You're in Sweden?

Here are some treatment options: Open Original Shared Link

Antibiotics are notorious for causing thrush.

There's a medication they can give you - I don't remember the name, but they give it to moms/babies all the time. It may be OTC where you are. Ask a pharmacist and see? If it works, you'll know it's thrush (at least what's in your mouth).

You really should have a doctor check it out. You are correct, if it's an infection you need to have it dealt with, same if it's thrush. If its an allergy you need to know so you don't use that antibiotic again (this will be the hardest dx to get, btw).

Is there an urgent care clinic you can get into for these types of things? You're in Sweden?

Here are some treatment options: Open Original Shared Link

Yeah there is a hotline. I'm calling them now.

Thanks for this advice :-) You're wonderful!

squirmingitch Veteran

Go Prickly!

Prickly is always pretty much on top of things.smile.gif

rosetapper23 Explorer

I think pricklypear is correct--the mouthwash may have caused thrush. That's what occurred to me (and, sorry--I only just saw this posting). Your immune system sounds so out of balance at the moment.....I sure hope things begin turning around for you soon.

Ok everyone, I feel very silly but I'm going to post an update anyway.

I called a hotline to see if I can get an appointment, and the nurse asked what kindof mouth-wash and gel I used. I checked because I didn't remember the name, and I found that BOTH of them were Corsodyl, which are anti-fungal and not anti-biotic (It is weird that I didn't know what I was using for a long time but that's something I often do so I'm used to the embarrassment). Anyway, they couldn't help much and gave me a DENTAL hotline number to call tomorrow. Gotta love Sweden's health-care.

So I'm back to square one of not knowing what on earth is in my mouth. I tried looking up oral DH, but all the articles stated it was very rare.

rosetapper23 Explorer

It may be that you're simply suffering from stomatitis caused by celiac. My daughter suffered with this condition for many years, even though she refuses to get a test for celiac. My son is diagnosed as having celiac, and my daughter has had many symptoms since she was three years old....but she says she has no intention of following a gluten-free diet unless she's on her deathbed. I think that perhaps one day when she wants children and has issues with infertility, she may change her mind. Anyway, stomatitis was a major issue for her, and our dentist stated that she didn't have canker sores--they were caused by some kind of immune disease. Here's a good site for information, but you may have already found it yourself:

Open Original Shared Link

I suffered from this condition while undergoing chemotherapy--it can truly be awful. So sorry for Sweden's health system!

Ok everyone, I feel very silly but I'm going to post an update anyway.

I called a hotline to see if I can get an appointment, and the nurse asked what kindof mouth-wash and gel I used. I checked because I didn't remember the name, and I found that BOTH of them were Corsodyl, which are anti-fungal and not anti-biotic (It is weird that I didn't know what I was using for a long time but that's something I often do so I'm used to the embarrassment). Anyway, they couldn't help much and gave me a DENTAL hotline number to call tomorrow. Gotta love Sweden's health-care.

So I'm back to square one of not knowing what on earth is in my mouth. I tried looking up oral DH, but all the articles stated it was very rare.

Assuming this is what you're using did you read the side effects? Open Original Shared Link

You may just have an issue with the product or allergy to the active ingredient.

It is unlikely you have thrush since this is used to treat it. You might glance at this, and read the contradictions. Uhm, did you notice the part about not using it with iodone preparations? I wonder what it does with iodone and I wonder if that could cause a DH problem. I'm really reaching on that one - but hey...

I really hope you don't have DH in your mouth. That's horrible.

Assuming this is what you're using did you read the side effects? Open Original Shared Link

You may just have an issue with the product or allergy to the active ingredient.

It is unlikely you have thrush since this is used to treat it. You might glance at this, and read the contradictions. Uhm, did you notice the part about not using it with iodone preparations? I wonder what it does with iodone and I wonder if that could cause a DH problem. I'm really reaching on that one - but hey...

I really hope you don't have DH in your mouth. That's horrible.

I read the side-effects. I don't think I'm having a reaction to the wash itself.

My mouth and throat don't itch at all, unlike the ones in my nose. (I really feel very unattractive whenever I mention those!)

Thanks so much for helping me through this pricklypear. I'll post an update if anything helpful comes out of the call tomorrow.

It may be that you're simply suffering from stomatitis caused by celiac. My daughter suffered with this condition for many years, even though she refuses to get a test for celiac. My son is diagnosed as having celiac, and my daughter has had many symptoms since she was three years old....but she says she has no intention of following a gluten-free diet unless she's on her deathbed. I think that perhaps one day when she wants children and has issues with infertility, she may change her mind. Anyway, stomatitis was a major issue for her, and our dentist stated that she didn't have canker sores--they were caused by some kind of immune disease. Here's a good site for information, but you may have already found it yourself:

I suffered from this condition while undergoing chemotherapy--it can truly be awful. So sorry for Sweden's health system!

Rosetapper, I really hope I don't have an immune disease, but I have a question. Did you or your daughter suffer from these ulcers/infections even while using anti-fungal medication? Don't get me wrong but I'm hoping your answer would be yes, as that would explain why I got the ulcers /infection even though I've been treating my gums with anti fungal solutions for 5 days.

Sorry to hear about your daughter. She sounds exactly like my entire family. They make me feel so sad!

I read the side-effects. I don't think I'm having a reaction to the wash itself.

My mouth and throat don't itch at all, unlike the ones in my nose. (I really feel very unattractive whenever I mention those!)

Thanks so much for helping me through this pricklypear. I'll post an update if anything helpful comes out of the call tomorrow.

I'm very relieved to hear the mouth and throat sores don't itch. I hope they go away soon.

They will probably tell you to stop using the wash to see if it goes away.

I was reading about oral DH and one study said oral lesions are quite common in DH patients, and tend to precede a skin breakout. It wasn't clear to me if the oral lesions were DH, or just a sign DH was coming.

I found this article, but it's not free. Is there any chance someone could have access to it or to an article similar to it?

It seems that the oral lesions don't have to be itchy for them to be related to DH. I know I'm no expert or anything so please feel free to correct me if what I'm assuming might be the case is wildly off and unlikely :-)

Di2011 Enthusiast

Can you describe the lesions or rash that is occuring in your mouth?

Many of us with DH have had canker sores. I am no guru/academic but I believe mine and my sons where a mouth manifestition of DH:

Google Image "canker sore" to make a judgment..

Can you describe the lesions or rash that is occuring in your mouth?

Many of us with DH have had canker sores. I am no guru/academic but I believe mine and my sons where a mouth manifestition of DH:

Google Image "canker sore" to make a judgment..

I don't see any that look exactly like mine. They are also in my throat I think because eating and talking hurts. My lymph nodes are also swollen and painful. The sores are only on the gingiva around the lining of my teeth. None of them is as awful looking as the ones on google. They're on both sides of my mouth. The little ones are closer to my front teeth and the larger ones right by my wisdom teeth. The big ones are flat and white but do not dent into my gums or stick out. Just flat. The small ones are almost in a line and they poked out a little and were more reddish.

They're a lot better today as the whiteness on them is almost gone.. they're only red patches around my teeth.

I haven't had any problems with this anti-fungal gel before and I've been using it for a long time. I really don't think it's the cause. And the wash I only started using because this time my teeth were getting worse and the gums where the sores are now got seriously swollen.

Archived