This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Help Celiac.com:
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Dh And Sores On Gums

dani nero

dani nero Community Regular

I think I'd quit the oral antibiotics. I'm not sure where you read about the gum infections (never a problem for me) but even if true if you're gluten-free I'd think that would go away.

richard

My mind was out of it sorry. I read that gum infections are associated with prolonged use of birth control pills not celiac. I took them as medication for 25 years before finding out I could have celiac.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

rosetapper23 Explorer

Sorry, no, my daughter and I have never used an anti-fungal mouthwash. My daughter tried many different kinds of canker sore medications with varying results. During chemo, I used a type of mouthwash that is prescribed for the condition (it wasn't thrush). In the end, I lost all of the mucosal lining in my mouth and on my gums...and one by one the crowns on my teeth popped off and had to be re-cemented. Obviously, this won't happen to you....and I think it sounds as though your mouth is beginning to heal. It may be that you're sensitive to a common food in addition to gluten. My daughter swears that hers are triggered by citrus fruits.

Sorry, no, my daughter and I have never used an anti-fungal mouthwash. My daughter tried many different kinds of canker sore medications with varying results. During chemo, I used a type of mouthwash that is prescribed for the condition (it wasn't thrush). In the end, I lost all of the mucosal lining in my mouth and on my gums...and one by one the crowns on my teeth popped off and had to be re-cemented. Obviously, this won't happen to you....and I think it sounds as though your mouth is beginning to heal. It may be that you're sensitive to a common food in addition to gluten. My daughter swears that hers are triggered by citrus fruits.

You use that mouth wash for you immunity condition? That sounds like a horrible experience. Sorry to hear that xoxoxo

I had added citrus back into my diet just a day before the swelling and ate it again on the next days while it was getting worse. This might be the cause.

I was never sensitive to clementines or any citrus before going on the gluten free diet. What exactly is happening, and why is this happening? I was ok before all this! I've been told by members here that the sensitivity can be temporary right? Meaning I can probably add them safely in a few months?

rosetapper23 Explorer

A number of people on this forum would disagree with me, but I believe Dr. Vikki Petersen, who wrote a book on gluten intolerance. She claims that the immune system can become confused while it is healing from gluten intolerance and begins mistaking other, non-gluten-containing foods for gluten (cross-reactivity). She has stated that it takes a minimum of three months of avoiding the food before the body will stop mis-identifying it as gluten; however, sometimes a person is never able to tolerate the food again. This happened to me with gluten-free flours and rice. I removed all grains, flours, and rice from my diet for six months, and now I no longer react to them. Before, it had really felt as though I'd ingested gluten because my body reacted exactly as it would to gluten. So....although there is no medical "evidence" that cross-reactivity can occur, I personally believe that it does.

As your body heals, your immune system is in a heightened state of alert...so you may have to keep a food journal to identify foods that your body has perhaps mistaken for gluten.

A number of people on this forum would disagree with me, but I believe Dr. Vikki Petersen, who wrote a book on gluten intolerance. She claims that the immune system can become confused while it is healing from gluten intolerance and begins mistaking other, non-gluten-containing foods for gluten (cross-reactivity). She has stated that it takes a minimum of three months of avoiding the food before the body will stop mis-identifying it as gluten; however, sometimes a person is never able to tolerate the food again. This happened to me with gluten-free flours and rice. I removed all grains, flours, and rice from my diet for six months, and now I no longer react to them. Before, it had really felt as though I'd ingested gluten because my body reacted exactly as it would to gluten. So....although there is no medical "evidence" that cross-reactivity can occur, I personally believe that it does.

As your body heals, your immune system is in a heightened state of alert...so you may have to keep a food journal to identify foods that your body has perhaps mistaken for gluten.

I am keeping a food journal. Thanks rosetapper and everyone who has been giving me advice. You're very amazing because nothing is pushing you to help the clueless ones on these forums but you always do :-)

pricklypear1971 Community Regular

You might want to read about salicylates. I was looking at this for someone else and saw gum rash and nasal polyps.

Open Original Shared Link

Di2011 Enthusiast

Google Image search for CANKER SORES.

I had these with DH & GI & nerve issues when the gluten intake was at the highest.

Let us know if it looks like canker sores or otherwise.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Di2011 Enthusiast

BTW The lesions in my nostrils looked very similar to the canker sores in my mouth.

Both confused immunity from other foods and reactions to Salicylate make sense. I've been eating plenty of avocados and fish as I love them together, then having clementines (tangerines) for desert, and then a nice salad with plenty of tomatoes and pepper/basil/oregano/basil/apple cider vinegar dressing for dinner.. Everything I've been eating is high on Salicylate.

Of course there is no way of finding out which problem it really is because the symptoms are present in both situations, but at least the solution is simple, eliminating the foods. I think I'll just go outside in the garden and start eating grass with my bunny because that's all I'll be able to eat soon.

I'm sure I've been gluten-free, yet yesterday the mini-lesions showed up on my finger again and I'm constipated. There could not have been any CC because there isn't any gluten in the house and I rarely ever eat out or buy ready food nowadays. My husband washes his mouth and mustache the moment he walks into the house.

No explanation other than my immunity having broken fuses.

A little update about the dentist visit today: The Doc wasn't sure what it was but she said that whatever it was it looked like it has started healing. She also told me it could have been an allergy or the mouth wash so I have to avoid those too now.

Problem is this leaves so little on the menu for me now ;-(

Well, at least you have somewhere to start.

You can develop allergies to meds at any time, same with foods.

When you go gluten-free your body starts resetting, healing - for lack of better terms. The first 6 months are really a free-for-all. Anything can and will (apparently) happen.

The good new is sals are cumulative. Bad news is sals are cumulative. And having a problem with a few doesn't mean you have a problem with all. And it may not be permanent.

Dont get discouraged. You'll get there.

I do find one autoimmune eruption triggers another, or illness triggers another reaction. Seems common, so don't be surprised about a finger spot showing up. I think the term is "let it ride" at this point.

Intermittent bowel changes are common in the beginning. Your body is changing, your diet is changing. Plus, having something going in in your mouth is likely, IMO, to affect digestion. That's how it works with babies, anyway :).

At least you don't have an infection. That's good news?

Also, gluten can hang around on surfaces for a long time, and in cracks and crevices. Soap and water is sufficient to remove it but you may want to replace scratched food service items like cutting boards and storage containers -and colanders are notoriously permanently contaminated.

I know, another thing to deal with. Go have a grass martini??

If you need a good no- sal, gluten-free lotion for your rash I use Vanicream. I don't know if it is sold in Sweden.

Well, at least you have somewhere to start.

You can develop allergies to meds at any time, same with foods.

When you go gluten-free your body starts resetting, healing - for lack of better terms. The first 6 months are really a free-for-all. Anything can and will (apparently) happen.

The good new is sals are cumulative. Bad news is sals are cumulative. And having a problem with a few doesn't mean you have a problem with all. And it may not be permanent.

Dont get discouraged. You'll get there.

I do find one autoimmune eruption triggers another, or illness triggers another reaction. Seems common, so don't be surprised about a finger spot showing up. I think the term is "let it ride" at this point.

Intermittent bowel changes are common in the beginning. Your body is changing, your diet is changing. Plus, having something going in in your mouth is likely, IMO, to affect digestion. That's how it works with babies, anyway :).

At least you don't have an infection. That's good news?

Also, gluten can hang around on surfaces for a long time, and in cracks and crevices. Soap and water is sufficient to remove it but you may want to replace scratched food service items like cutting boards and storage containers -and colanders are notoriously permanently contaminated.

I know, another thing to deal with. Go have a grass martini??

You deserve a gigantic hug Prickly! *HUUUG*

It's hard not to get obsessive about the spots showing up because they're the first sign of CC.. I actually spend a large portion of the day staring at my finger. That must look really strange ;-)

Yes, there is no infection :-) There wasn't even a need for an emergency cleanup. All is well.

You deserve a gigantic hug Prickly! *HUUUG*

It's hard not to get obsessive about the spots showing up because they're the first sign of CC.. I actually spend a large portion of the day staring at my finger. That must look really strange ;-)

Yes, there is no infection :-) There wasn't even a need for an emergency cleanup. All is well.

I got so obsessed with tracking my underarm rash I drew dots around the perimeter with a sharpie to track its growth.

I got so obsessed with tracking my underarm rash I drew dots around the perimeter with a sharpie to track its growth.

Looooool :-DDD

You know someone might have celiac when they can't stop staring at strange parts of their bodies ;-)

You know someone might have celiac when they can't stop staring at strange parts of their bodies ;-)

What would we do if we could watch our intestines? Hate to find out!

What would we do if we could watch our intestines? Hate to find out!

Almost fell off my chair looool :-D

birdie22 Enthusiast

Could it be coxsackie virus? That causes mouth sores on the gums and throat and also cause spots and blisters on hands and feet. Here in the US, coxsackie virus is very common this time of year. My husband and 2 daughters all had it about 2yrs ago. It's most common in children but adults can get it too. The sores in the mouth and throat can be very painful. It usually lasts a week.

squirmingitch Veteran

Almost fell off my chair looool :-D

Too much!laugh.giflaugh.giflaugh.giflaugh.giflaugh.giflaugh.giflaugh.gif

• 3 weeks later...
JustNana Apprentice

Prickly, Squirming and dani

You have helped me so much with the DH issue. I have been reading all the posts on this topic. I can't understand why Drs don't read patient forums. They could learn more than by reading the crap put out by the AMA.

The oddest thing has happened to me and I feel a little guilty about it after reading what a rough time some of you are having with this !%# crazy making disease. I woke up this morning and immediately realized I hadn't been scratching at all last night. It's 4.00 pm here and no itching. Well, I have rubbed a couple of old spots but nothing like usual. I cant believe it or explain it.

squirmingitch Veteran

Nana, I'm going to paste this quote from Prickly from just a few posts above.

"When you go gluten-free your body starts resetting, healing - for lack of better terms. The first 6 months are really a free-for-all. Anything can and will (apparently) happen."<br style="color: rgb(44, 54, 68); font-size: 13px; line-height: 19px; background-color: rgb(250, 251, 252); ">

Don't ever feel guilty for not having as hard a time as others. A hard time is relative. And we celebrate when someone just clears up! I hope it lasts for you. And CELEBRATE!biggrin.gif We celebrate with you.

You have helped me so much with the DH issue. I have been reading all the posts on this topic. I can't understand why Drs don't read patient forums. They could learn more than by reading the crap put out by the AMA.

The oddest thing has happened to me and I feel a little guilty about it after reading what a rough time some of you are having with this !%# crazy making disease. I woke up this morning and immediately realized I hadn't been scratching at all last night. It's 4.00 pm here and no itching. Well, I have rubbed a couple of old spots but nothing like usual. I cant believe it or explain it.

Well, if you've been gluten-free a while you probably can explain it :).

My "cycle" for DH runs about 2 weeks since I'm gluten-free (meaning when something goes wrong and I get a rash). I am always so thankful when the constant itching stops. Keep it moisturized and baby the skin.

And don't feel guilty, be happy!

I'm very glad you found an answer and that it's helping :-)

Archived