46 replies to this topic

#31 pricklypear1971

pricklypear1971

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,684 posts

Posted 28 March 2012 - 06:33 PM

You might want to read about salicylates. I was looking at this for someone else and saw gum rash and nasal polyps.

http://salicylatesen...vity.com/info3/
Apparently there is nothing that cannot happen today. ~ Mark Twain

Probable Endometriosis, in remission from childbirth since 2002.
Hashimoto's DX 2005.
Gluten-Free since 6/2011.
DH (and therefore Celiac) dx from ND
Responsive to iodine withdrawal for DH (see quote, above).

Genetic tests reveal half DQ2, half DQ8 - I'm a weird bird!

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#32 Di2011

Di2011

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 660 posts

Posted 29 March 2012 - 12:32 AM

Google Image search for CANKER SORES.
I had these with DH & GI & nerve issues when the gluten intake was at the highest.
Let us know if it looks like canker sores or otherwise.

#33 Di2011

Di2011

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 660 posts

Posted 29 March 2012 - 12:34 AM

BTW The lesions in my nostrils looked very similar to the canker sores in my mouth.

#34 dani nero

dani nero

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 623 posts

Posted 29 March 2012 - 03:42 AM

Both confused immunity from other foods and reactions to Salicylate make sense. I've been eating plenty of avocados and fish as I love them together, then having clementines (tangerines) for desert, and then a nice salad with plenty of tomatoes and pepper/basil/oregano/basil/apple cider vinegar dressing for dinner.. Everything I've been eating is high on Salicylate.
Of course there is no way of finding out which problem it really is because the symptoms are present in both situations, but at least the solution is simple, eliminating the foods. I think I'll just go outside in the garden and start eating grass with my bunny because that's all I'll be able to eat soon.

I'm sure I've been gluten-free, yet yesterday the mini-lesions showed up on my finger again and I'm constipated. There could not have been any CC because there isn't any gluten in the house and I rarely ever eat out or buy ready food nowadays. My husband washes his mouth and mustache the moment he walks into the house.

No explanation other than my immunity having broken fuses.

A little update about the dentist visit today: The Doc wasn't sure what it was but she said that whatever it was it looked like it has started healing. She also told me it could have been an allergy or the mouth wash so I have to avoid those too now.

Problem is this leaves so little on the menu for me now ;-(
Self diagnosed January 2012, and on elimination, low-salicylate & low-iodine diet.
Also G6PD

#35 pricklypear1971

pricklypear1971

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,684 posts

Posted 29 March 2012 - 04:01 AM

Well, at least you have somewhere to start.

You can develop allergies to meds at any time, same with foods.

When you go gluten-free your body starts resetting, healing - for lack of better terms. The first 6 months are really a free-for-all. Anything can and will (apparently) happen.

The good new is sals are cumulative. Bad news is sals are cumulative. And having a problem with a few doesn't mean you have a problem with all. And it may not be permanent.

Dont get discouraged. You'll get there.

I do find one autoimmune eruption triggers another, or illness triggers another reaction. Seems common, so don't be surprised about a finger spot showing up. I think the term is "let it ride" at this point.

Intermittent bowel changes are common in the beginning. Your body is changing, your diet is changing. Plus, having something going in in your mouth is likely, IMO, to affect digestion. That's how it works with babies, anyway :).

At least you don't have an infection. That's good news?

Also, gluten can hang around on surfaces for a long time, and in cracks and crevices. Soap and water is sufficient to remove it but you may want to replace scratched food service items like cutting boards and storage containers -and colanders are notoriously permanently contaminated.

I know, another thing to deal with. Go have a grass martini??

If you need a good no- sal, gluten-free lotion for your rash I use Vanicream. I don't know if it is sold in Sweden.

Hashimoto's DX 2005.

#36 dani nero

dani nero

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 623 posts

Posted 29 March 2012 - 04:16 AM

Well, at least you have somewhere to start.

You can develop allergies to meds at any time, same with foods.

When you go gluten-free your body starts resetting, healing - for lack of better terms. The first 6 months are really a free-for-all. Anything can and will (apparently) happen.

The good new is sals are cumulative. Bad news is sals are cumulative. And having a problem with a few doesn't mean you have a problem with all. And it may not be permanent.

Dont get discouraged. You'll get there.

I do find one autoimmune eruption triggers another, or illness triggers another reaction. Seems common, so don't be surprised about a finger spot showing up. I think the term is "let it ride" at this point.

Intermittent bowel changes are common in the beginning. Your body is changing, your diet is changing. Plus, having something going in in your mouth is likely, IMO, to affect digestion. That's how it works with babies, anyway :).

At least you don't have an infection. That's good news?

Also, gluten can hang around on surfaces for a long time, and in cracks and crevices. Soap and water is sufficient to remove it but you may want to replace scratched food service items like cutting boards and storage containers -and colanders are notoriously permanently contaminated.

I know, another thing to deal with. Go have a grass martini??

You deserve a gigantic hug Prickly! *HUUUG*
It's hard not to get obsessive about the spots showing up because they're the first sign of CC.. I actually spend a large portion of the day staring at my finger. That must look really strange ;-)
Yes, there is no infection :-) There wasn't even a need for an emergency cleanup. All is well.
Self diagnosed January 2012, and on elimination, low-salicylate & low-iodine diet.
Also G6PD

#37 pricklypear1971

pricklypear1971

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,684 posts

Posted 29 March 2012 - 04:18 AM

You deserve a gigantic hug Prickly! *HUUUG*
It's hard not to get obsessive about the spots showing up because they're the first sign of CC.. I actually spend a large portion of the day staring at my finger. That must look really strange ;-)
Yes, there is no infection :-) There wasn't even a need for an emergency cleanup. All is well.

I got so obsessed with tracking my underarm rash I drew dots around the perimeter with a sharpie to track its growth.

Hashimoto's DX 2005.

#38 dani nero

dani nero

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 623 posts

Posted 29 March 2012 - 04:20 AM

I got so obsessed with tracking my underarm rash I drew dots around the perimeter with a sharpie to track its growth.

Looooool :-DDD
Also G6PD

#39 dani nero

dani nero

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 623 posts

Posted 29 March 2012 - 04:21 AM

You know someone might have celiac when they can't stop staring at strange parts of their bodies ;-)
Also G6PD

#40 pricklypear1971

pricklypear1971

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,684 posts

Posted 29 March 2012 - 04:22 AM

You know someone might have celiac when they can't stop staring at strange parts of their bodies ;-)

What would we do if we could watch our intestines? Hate to find out!

Hashimoto's DX 2005.

#41 dani nero

dani nero

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 623 posts

Posted 29 March 2012 - 04:37 AM

What would we do if we could watch our intestines? Hate to find out!

Almost fell off my chair looool :-D
Also G6PD

#42 birdie22

birdie22

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 257 posts

Posted 29 March 2012 - 06:33 AM

Could it be coxsackie virus? That causes mouth sores on the gums and throat and also cause spots and blisters on hands and feet. Here in the US, coxsackie virus is very common this time of year. My husband and 2 daughters all had it about 2yrs ago. It's most common in children but adults can get it too. The sores in the mouth and throat can be very painful. It usually lasts a week.
Diagnosed NCGS April 2012 after battling headaches, canker sores, bloating, heartburn, epigastric pain, buzzed feeling, extreme fatigue, muscle aches, and nausea since November 2010.

gluten-free since November 2011

#43 squirmingitch

squirmingitch

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,370 posts

Posted 29 March 2012 - 09:30 AM

Almost fell off my chair looool :-D

Too much!Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

Self diagnosed dh Sept. 2011~~~ confirmed dx July 18, 2012
Gluten free Dec. 2011
Soy free Dec. 2011
Hubs self diagnosed dh March 30, 2012
Hubs gluten free March 30, 2012

Summer 2013 We both have added back a little soy which is near unavoidable & we are doing okay with that small amount.

#44 JustNana

JustNana

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 113 posts

Posted 13 April 2012 - 02:58 PM

Prickly, Squirming and dani

You have helped me so much with the DH issue. I have been reading all the posts on this topic. I can't understand why Drs don't read patient forums. They could learn more than by reading the crap put out by the AMA.

The oddest thing has happened to me and I feel a little guilty about it after reading what a rough time some of you are having with this !%# crazy making disease. I woke up this morning and immediately realized I hadn't been scratching at all last night. It's 4.00 pm here and no itching. Well, I have rubbed a couple of old spots but nothing like usual. I cant believe it or explain it.

#45 squirmingitch

squirmingitch

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,370 posts

Posted 13 April 2012 - 03:15 PM

Nana, I'm going to paste this quote from Prickly from just a few posts above.

"When you go gluten-free your body starts resetting, healing - for lack of better terms. The first 6 months are really a free-for-all. Anything can and will (apparently) happen."<br style="color: rgb(44, 54, 68); font-size: 13px; line-height: 19px; background-color: rgb(250, 251, 252); ">

Don't ever feel guilty for not having as hard a time as others. A hard time is relative. And we celebrate when someone just clears up! I hope it lasts for you. And CELEBRATE!Posted Image We celebrate with you.

Self diagnosed dh Sept. 2011~~~ confirmed dx July 18, 2012
Gluten free Dec. 2011
Soy free Dec. 2011
Hubs self diagnosed dh March 30, 2012
Hubs gluten free March 30, 2012

Summer 2013 We both have added back a little soy which is near unavoidable & we are doing okay with that small amount.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: