22 replies to this topic

#16 pricklypear1971

pricklypear1971

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,684 posts

Posted 28 March 2012 - 07:09 AM

Thank you Skylark, I am definitely Celiac diagnosed but the allergy issue is undetermined. I am and have been going through doctors like tissues. I keep finding I'm allergic to Zantac and all it's generics. Will work on an allergist as I can thank you for that suggestion. Thank you too for the link and other ideas!! :)

You may look into a compounding pharmacy that could make a "cleaner" version of an antihistimine. You may have a temporary or permanent intolerance to the base - corn, etc. A compounding pharmacy should be able to switch bases and tell you what base it is - allowing you to figure out what works.

It may be worth your time to try it. Antihistimines are immune suppressants - so it may help to suppress your immune system a bit. Or not - everyone is different (I was in steroids and it had very negative effects, but antihistimines seem to help without permanent damage).
Apparently there is nothing that cannot happen today. ~ Mark Twain

Probable Endometriosis, in remission from childbirth since 2002.
Hashimoto's DX 2005.
Gluten-Free since 6/2011.
DH (and therefore Celiac) dx from ND
Responsive to iodine withdrawal for DH (see quote, above).

Genetic tests reveal half DQ2, half DQ8 - I'm a weird bird!

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#17 Bubba's Mom

Bubba's Mom

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,457 posts

Posted 28 March 2012 - 07:17 AM

Hi... I've been following strict gluten-free diet and no dairy, no soy (as per kindly suggested by community). The suggestions I have received have been very helpful. I find myself feeling afraid to eat anything outside of the coconut milk, and I add fruit (which I freeze) and blend into shakes. That is a mainstay meal. I tried a sweet potato and became very itchy so I will eliminate that for now. Going to try to saute some lean natural chicken and fresh spinach. I am just so afraid to try even the gluten free rice. The week that I have been successful with no gluten has been great with the exception of those sensitive breakthrough things I wasn't aware of and have now eliminated so I read one person recommended no eggs, but another said eggs were okay. I don't eat any bread, dairy, soy, losing a lot of weight but I don't mind just getting scared not sure what to eat. Please help. Getting lost again. :(

I strongly recommend keeping a food log. Write down what you eat, and note any symptoms you're feeling. Many food intolerances can have delayed reactions, so it makes it easier to put the puzzle of what you can safely eat together.

You may have had a bad reaction after eating a sweet potato, but it may have been that the starch was hard to digest? If you added a digestive enzyme, the sweet potato may be ok? Many of us find that we need the enzymes at first.
Also, take a good probiotic. It helps balance the gut flora, so you don't have reactions to foods because of that.

I get bad reactions to some foods, and then find they're ok if I try them again. Maybe it's from combining things that are harder to digest, or cause reactions when blended? I have to get a bad reaction several times before I remove it from my diet.

While in the healing process, your system will be constantly changing. That's normal. Don't be afraid to eat!

#18 UKGail

UKGail

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 185 posts

Posted 28 March 2012 - 07:33 AM

For what it is worth?

For many months before (and even after DX), I had what I consider allergic reactions to seemingly everything. Food, lotions, even the air I breathed. I was so uncomfortable and unhappy. I cannot tolerate Benadryl or any of the things that work for others. :(

I went to an allergist who ran all the IgG panels and IgE skin prick tests. As I sat there before him, eyes swollen and dry, dripping nose, a scratchy, burning, red throat, difficulty swallowing, swollen glands, my entire chest felt like an elephant was sitting on it, shortness of breath, wheezing, exhausted and my face/sinuses hurting from inflammation, he looked at me and said: "You have no allergies". :blink: I wanted to cry. "What the hell is it then?" I asked. "I don't know", he said.

All of that calmed down in about 7 or 8 months after being gluten-free.
For me, it was all about inflammation from gluten and celiac.

This was just my experience, of course, so you should investigate all causes of your symptoms.

I hope you feel better soon!

7 or 8 months? Thank you for saying this IH. I am still battling with these symptoms 6 months in. It's nice to know it might yet settle down. Sorry to butt in on this thread. The OP is getting some good advice from you all.

#19 Songbird1976

Songbird1976

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 35 posts

Posted 28 March 2012 - 08:09 AM

But they are all gone!

I still get puffy eyelids (blepharitis) and a scratchy throat (along with dreadful neurological symptoms) when I am CCed.

Just amazing what goes haywire from gluten . :blink:

It is truly amazing, we learn so much from one another too. Thank you. I am so happy they are all gone for you :D

#20 Songbird1976

Songbird1976

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 35 posts

Posted 28 March 2012 - 08:14 AM

You may have had a bad reaction after eating a sweet potato, but it may have been that the starch was hard to digest? If you added a digestive enzyme, the sweet potato may be ok? Many of us find that we need the enzymes at first.
Also, take a good probiotic. It helps balance the gut flora, so you don't have reactions to foods because of that.

While in the healing process, your system will be constantly changing. That's normal. Don't be afraid to eat!

Thank you so very much Bubba's Mom. This is most interesting. Makes a lot of sense to me. I will do the probiotics as I see many recommend this. Thank you for your post, some very helpful information. :)

#21 IrishHeart

IrishHeart

Warrior Princess

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,558 posts

Posted 28 March 2012 - 04:06 PM

7 or 8 months? Thank you for saying this IH. I am still battling with these symptoms 6 months in. It's nice to know it might yet settle down. Sorry to butt in on this thread. The OP is getting some good advice from you all.

I am always reluctant to say how long it has taken me to even start to see progress because I never want my experience to be discouraging for others.

Healing is a unique time table.
I am gluten-free nearly 15 months now and I am still healing ....slowly. My doc and I know it may take me YEARS to be well and out of pain. I had dozens of symptoms and complications, though so I do not want anyone to think it may take them that long to heal.

I always strive to be encouraging to others, :) so I am hesitant to say how long my journey has been. But I see progress all the time (I can do simple things now that I could not do for 3 years--like drive, eat and keep food IN, tie my shoes, multi-task, etc ) and I remain ridiculously optimistic. :lol:

I know people want to feel great RIGHT NOW!!...and frankly, that just does not happen. We need to be realistic, too.

Best regards, IH

"Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is. The way we cope with it makes the difference." Virginia Satir

"The strongest of all warriors are these two - time and patience." Leo Tolstoy

"If you want to lift yourself up, lift up someone else" Booker T. Washington

“If idiots could fly, the sky would be like an airport.”― Laura Davenport 

"Do or do not. There is no try. "-  Yoda.

"LTES"  Gem 2014

Misdiagnosed for 25+ years; Finally Diagnosed with Celiac  11/01/10.  Double DQ2 genes. This thing tried to kill me. I view Celiac as a fire breathing dragon --and I have run my sword right through his throat.
I. Win. bliss-smiley-emoticon.gif

#22 IrishHeart

IrishHeart

Warrior Princess

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,558 posts

Posted 28 March 2012 - 04:11 PM

Thank you so very much Bubba's Mom. This is most interesting. Makes a lot of sense to me. I will do the probiotics as I see many recommend this. Thank you for your post, some very helpful information. :)

I am a pain in the arse about recommending probiotics. :)

Celiac guts NEED these. Read this:

http://thefooddoc.com/probiotic_facts

If you are not on them now, I suggest you start them ASAP. ;)

Cheers, IH

"Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is. The way we cope with it makes the difference." Virginia Satir

"LTES"  Gem 2014

Misdiagnosed for 25+ years; Finally Diagnosed with Celiac  11/01/10.  Double DQ2 genes. This thing tried to kill me. I view Celiac as a fire breathing dragon --and I have run my sword right through his throat.

#23 IrishHeart

IrishHeart

Warrior Princess

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,558 posts

Posted 28 March 2012 - 04:14 PM

It is truly amazing, we learn so much from one another too. Thank you. I am so happy they are all gone for you :D

THOSE symptoms are gone in me , but I still have more to resolve.

My point is...they may not be Classical IgE-mediated allergies.

Get tested, so you cover your bases, but if the results reveal nothing, just know that gluten can cause them, too.

"LTES"  Gem 2014

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: