17 replies to this topic

#1 DawnMarie127

DawnMarie127

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 27 March 2012 - 04:52 PM

I have been Gluten free for a week, and today I have a terrible headache on and off all day.. Is this normal??

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 ciamarie

ciamarie

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 419 posts

Posted 27 March 2012 - 05:50 PM

Y. :D

That was the short answer. The longer answer is that was my experience, I don't think it's terribly unusual.

Gluten-free since the end of October 2011

#3 deltron80

deltron80

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 58 posts

Posted 28 March 2012 - 05:57 AM

I have been Gluten free for a week, and today I have a terrible headache on and off all day.. Is this normal??

For the first two weeks after I quit I felt like I was on drugs, then the next two weeks I was light-headed. Now I'm just getting fatter lol. I bet the head ache is just some weird symptom.

#4 nmull #newly diagnosed

nmull #newly diagnosed

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 22 posts

Posted 28 March 2012 - 07:49 AM

I have had Migraines recently and I am in my 3rd month of being gluten free. I also felt drugged and lightheaded in the beginning weeks. I thought my headaches were because I had accidentally Glutened myself but I am pretty sure it was withdrawal symptoms :)

#5 krystynycole

krystynycole

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 228 posts

Posted 28 March 2012 - 12:49 PM

My withdrawals to gluten were 10x worse than my caffeine addition...both I stopped cold turkey! Yeah they are bad :( but they will get better.

Gluten Free since November 2010 and feeling fantastic!

(Mis)diagnosis with IBS in 2004
MSG and caffeine free since 2001

#6 Mateto

Mateto

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 189 posts

Posted 08 April 2012 - 02:58 AM

**well this thread really makes me excited to start going gluten-free** :unsure:
Gluten-free since St George's Day this year :)

#7 mushroom

mushroom

Mushroom

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,448 posts

Posted 08 April 2012 - 03:42 AM

**well this thread really makes me excited to start going gluten-free** :unsure:

You just have to keep swimming to the other side of the river, where there is a nice sandy beach and soft green newly mown grass, and ...... :D
Neroli

"Everything that can be counted does not necessarily count; everything that counts cannot necessarily be counted." - Albert Einstein

"Life is not weathering the storm; it is learning to dance in the rain"

"Whatever the question, the answer is always chocolate." Nigella Lawson

------------

Caffeine free 1973
Lactose free 1990
(Mis)diagnosed IBS, fibromyalgia '80's and '90's
Diagnosed psoriatic arthritis 2004
Self-diagnosed gluten intolerant, gluten-free Nov. 2007
Soy free March 2008
Nightshade free Feb 2009
Citric acid free June 2009
Potato starch free July 2009
(Totally) corn free Nov. 2009
Legume free March 2010
Now tolerant of lactose

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#8 JustNana

JustNana

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 113 posts

Posted 08 April 2012 - 11:04 AM

I wonder what causes withdrawal symptoms from gluten.

I guess I am fortunate I had none. The carbs I deleted by going gluten-free I just naturally made up for by eating more rice, corn and even some sweets. ( Mind you, this was not from any logical nutritional decisions but, rather, my tendency to indulge myself because I was feeling "deprived.". LOL

One really nice thing happened rather quickly for me was that I stopped craving bread and sweets. I still love my corn tortillas, potatoes and Asian rice dishes.

Here's a little tale off topic but so typical of me. I have already smacked myself good over this one. After about 3 weeks of gluten-free food I was craving fried rice. I easily found gluten-free soy sauce and after lots of recipe reading I made a delicious version that my husband now asks for once a week. I always start with cold, long grain rice cooked in broth, at least 8 hours old. Two days in the fridge is even better. I use sauted chicken, pork if I have it and shrimp. Onions, a tiny bit of ginger, some sesame oil, soy sauce, peas and it is easy and so satisfying. So we've had this maybe half a dozen times. Visiting family last week they all wanted Chinese take out so I just asked for a side of fried rice. It was filling and I was happy. At 3:00 in the morning I woke up scratching myself raw. DH flare up! I completely forgot that the soy sauce they used was likely full of gluten!

Sheesh!

#9 peter99ff

peter99ff

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 21 posts

Posted 08 April 2012 - 02:04 PM

Give it about six months, so ya got 5.5 months to go. I read in a couple of places thats how long, about , for it to get out of your system. GL :)
I can see I'm going to be on this more then my daughters on myspace

#10 peter99ff

peter99ff

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 21 posts

Posted 08 April 2012 - 02:11 PM

Sorry to hear about the soy sauce. Look into salt triggering dh also. I use sea salt, no iodine. ;)
And theres a lot of different types of sea salt, go figure :lol: I dont even use surgical scrub on my hands or I break out.
I can see I'm going to be on this more then my daughters on myspace

#11 JustNana

JustNana

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 113 posts

Posted 08 April 2012 - 03:40 PM

Peter

I just today started looking at all the evidence for iodine triggering the DH stuff! I am currently cooking and seasoning food with Kosher salt but using "Iodized table salt" sparingly as I dont want to go totally without.

I am going to really pay attention to the DH reactions to try to figure it out.

All of these things are so NEW to me as my Dr is good but not an expert by any any stretch on the whole celiac/DH/Hashimoto's thing. I am alternately grateful and frustrated at all the issues presented on this forum.

Bless all of you. Thank you so much for taking the time to respond. I appreciate it very much.

#12 Raywuwei

Raywuwei

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 41 posts

Posted 16 May 2012 - 06:32 PM

I guess I am fortunate I had none. The carbs I deleted by going gluten-free I just naturally made up for by eating more rice, corn and even some sweets. ( Mind you, this was not from any logical nutritional decisions but, rather, my tendency to indulge myself because I was feeling "deprived.". LOL

Same here! I am on day 5 of being gluten-free and getting a little nervous that I'm not having any withdrawals at all. I should probably note that I was diagnosed on accident after suffering from stress induced ulcer-like indigestion. The testing came back negative for an ulcer, but my doctor tested me for celiac just in case... and I had it! I took Prilosec for 10 days and all of my stomach pain went away... Now I feel fine, and I feel a little bit guilty when I read all of the comments on this forum.

Did you have a lot of pain being diagnosed. And did you find that after being on the gluten-free diet for a long time that you started having more severe symptoms when you were glutened?
4/25/12 tTG blood work tested at >200
5/11/12 Endoscopy confirmed scalloped Duodenum
Gluten Free since 5/11/12

#13 sa1937

sa1937

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,657 posts

Posted 17 May 2012 - 04:48 AM

Same here! I am on day 5 of being gluten-free and getting a little nervous that I'm not having any withdrawals at all. I should probably note that I was diagnosed on accident after suffering from stress induced ulcer-like indigestion. The testing came back negative for an ulcer, but my doctor tested me for celiac just in case... and I had it! I took Prilosec for 10 days and all of my stomach pain went away... Now I feel fine, and I feel a little bit guilty when I read all of the comments on this forum.

Did you have a lot of pain being diagnosed. And did you find that after being on the gluten-free diet for a long time that you started having more severe symptoms when you were glutened?

I was one of the lucky ones who did not experience withdrawal symptoms when I went gluten-free the day of my endoscopy, Some people do; others do not.

I did not have a lot of pain when diagnosed...only the big D, which was bad enough. I do think we become more sensitive after we've been diagnosed and go gluten-free. Sometimes we find other intolerances, which are many times difficult to figure out.
Sylvia
Positive Celiac Blood Panel - Dec., 2009
Endoscopy with Positive Biopsy - April 9, 2010
Gluten Free - April 9, 2010

#14 mommida

mommida

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,945 posts

Posted 17 May 2012 - 05:02 AM

For some people there is an opiate affect on the brain. :blink:

To ease some of the headache pain. Vitamin supplemented water (smartwater), sublingual vitamin B12, deep breathing as if you were smoking a cigarette, and slowly stretching your neck and shoulders. Use the mantra. Remember what it feels like not to have a headache.

If the headache is still persistant, or you have a fever,, stiff neck get medical attention.

Seriously this really can take away a lot of headache pain. I drove myself to the doctor's office when I had meningitus. (Was promptly wrongly diagnosed with a migraine and sent home.) So like I said any fever with a severe headache, hurts to move your eyes (side to side will send bands of pain), putting your head forward and the pain just explodes, my neck was also swollen to twice the size.

Adults usually do not seek treatment for most viral cases of meningitus. :huh:
Michigan

#15 EPrasn

EPrasn

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 06 June 2012 - 07:45 AM

lol, I can't wait for my bloodtest to confirm this or not for me.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: