12 replies to this topic

#1 Rachel W

Rachel W

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 50 posts

Posted 27 March 2012 - 06:19 PM

So I have 9 more weeks till my due date. (yayyy) :lol: at my appt yesterday the nurse said something about some people with Celiac have to have C-sections due to the increased risk and intolerance of pressure on the colon???? ANyone hear of this??? I see the doc in 2 weeks to see what she says about it.. either way i want what is better for my little Boy blessing.. but i was totally set on a Natural / unmedicated childbirth...the way God designed us to do it !!

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 Lisa

Lisa

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,799 posts

Posted 27 March 2012 - 06:36 PM

So I have 9 more weeks till my due date. (yayyy) :lol: at my appt yesterday the nurse said something about some people with Celiac have to have C-sections due to the increased risk and intolerance of pressure on the colon???? ANyone hear of this??? I see the doc in 2 weeks to see what she says about it.. either way i want what is better for my little Boy blessing.. but i was totally set on a Natural / unmedicated childbirth...the way God designed us to do it !!

I have never heard this in almost seven years on this board. What increased risk? It's not a colon disorder. I think she knows nutting! B)

You should choose your method of birth. I can't see a reason where having Celiac would be a concern in your delivery. But as always, check with your doctor.

Is there a natural childbirth instructor available at your hospital?
Lisa

Gluten Free - August 15, 2004

"Not all who wander are lost" - JRR Tolkien

#3 rosetapper23

rosetapper23

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,361 posts

Posted 27 March 2012 - 10:24 PM

Hmmmmm....I had both of my children naturally...and without complications. I don't know what she's talking about!

#4 kledford

kledford

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 28 March 2012 - 06:52 AM

I personally hae heard the exact opposite. i googled c section & celiac & the research shows a higher incidence of celiac WITH a c section because the baby doesn't pass through the natural flora of the mother. definitely research that before you so what that nurse told me to do

#5 lovegrov

lovegrov

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,537 posts

Posted 28 March 2012 - 07:52 AM

No way.

richard

#6 Ollie's Mom

Ollie's Mom

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 166 posts

Posted 28 March 2012 - 04:15 PM

I'm calling total BS with that one!

And good luck with your labour and delivery. I refused any pitocin... but after six days of labour did give in to having an epidural ( for my sanity... and my husband's lol) ;)

#7 beebs

beebs

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 684 posts

Posted 28 March 2012 - 07:03 PM

Never heard of it!!
HLA DQ8, gluten-free since January 2011

#8 kareng

kareng

Be Royal

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,115 posts

Posted 28 March 2012 - 07:16 PM

I lbet she's thinking of Chrohns. Not sure if that's a real require reccommendation for them either, but would make more sense.

LTES

"We've waited 29 years for this and not even a Giant can stand in our way." - Mayor Sly James

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#9 jswog

jswog

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 200 posts

Posted 30 March 2012 - 06:13 PM

I lbet she's thinking of Chrohns. Not sure if that's a real require reccommendation for them either, but would make more sense.

AFIK, it's not even recommended with Crohn's. My sister has Crohn's and has had two natural deliveries with no complications and a section was not ever recommended to her because of it.

#10 jswog

jswog

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 200 posts

Posted 30 March 2012 - 06:14 PM

And good luck with your labour and delivery. I refused any pitocin... but after six days of labour did give in to having an epidural ( for my sanity... and my husband's lol) ;)

Oh, you poor thing!

#11 pricklypear1971

pricklypear1971

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,684 posts

Posted 30 March 2012 - 06:27 PM

Jeez, you beat my 4 days of labor. I finally accepted pit and epi after I stalled @ 3 1/2 days. Baby was fine but I was exhausted and was afraid I'd end up with a c-section (and since we were sure I had Endometriosis we were all wanting to avoid that).

I do want to add, for all the pregnant ladies, that it wasn't 4 full days of hard labor. It was start and stop till the last 36 hours. No one will make you go any longer than you want without an epi, I promise.
Apparently there is nothing that cannot happen today. ~ Mark Twain

Probable Endometriosis, in remission from childbirth since 2002.
Hashimoto's DX 2005.
Gluten-Free since 6/2011.
DH (and therefore Celiac) dx from ND
Responsive to iodine withdrawal for DH (see quote, above).

Genetic tests reveal half DQ2, half DQ8 - I'm a weird bird!

#12 1974girl

1974girl

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 318 posts

Posted 12 April 2012 - 09:49 AM

That's sounds crazy! And like the other poster. I read the exact opposite. More babies who are born by c-section have celiac disease due to not going through the birth canal. (Of course I had both mine the reg. way and she has it anyway!)

#13 faithforlife

faithforlife

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 84 posts

Posted 14 May 2012 - 06:06 AM

but i was totally set on a Natural / unmedicated childbirth...the way God designed us to do it !!
[/quote]
I've delivered all 5 totally natural with a midwife -4 out of the hospital- the only questionable problem I had which had nothing to do with delivery was my 3rd had meconium when his water broke at home while I was asleep so the midwife wanted me to deliver in hospital do they could suction his nose and mouth. He was fine but he is my only diagnosed celiac child!

Faith For Life
Family History of terminal diabetes, acid reflux, etc.
2010-My 4 yr. old son- chronic diarrhea (3-5x a day since he was 12 months old)and chronic anemia,positive for 2 gluten sensitive antibodies, the genes, inflammation
(no villous atrophy found)
2011-entire family positive for genetics for celiac
2011-myself- positive gluten antibodies across the board
Family is successfully gluten free and some lactose free, studying Specific Carbohydrate Diet and Paleo Diet

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: