7 replies to this topic

#1 kaygato

kaygato

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 21 posts

Posted 27 March 2012 - 07:02 PM

I've been on the gluten free diet for about 3 months and I'm not feeling that much better. I'm avoiding a couple other things as well (I'm on a doctor prescribed elimination diet), but am especially concerned about the gluten. I know from the enterolabs test that I'm sensitive.

I haven't bothered to think of cross contamination a lot because just sticking to the diet has been enough of a challenge. I guess considering my antibodies to gliadin weren't that high and I don't have clear symptoms when I eat gluten, that I have a hard time believing I really need to be that careful.

As an example, would dipping a gluten free communion wafer into a glass of wine that has breadcrumbs in it be a no-no? I've found a substitute for the bread, but I hadn't thought about the wine.

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 Di2011

Di2011

Advanced Community Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 660 posts

Posted 28 March 2012 - 12:19 AM

For me dipping a gluten-free anything into something that is gluten contaminated would be a disaster. (Presuming you are catholic) You should talk to your church and they should accommodate your needs. It could be as simple as you having a seat up front and going to the front of the line. Don't be shy. Look after your health and your religion shouldn't let you down.

#3 dilettantesteph

dilettantesteph

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,035 posts

Posted 28 March 2012 - 03:51 AM

I don't think that you even need to be super sensitive for that to be a problem.

#4 IrishHeart

IrishHeart

Warrior Princess

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,558 posts

Posted 28 March 2012 - 05:35 AM

I don't think that you even need to be super sensitive for that to be a problem.

Absolutely agree with this thought.

CC is CC.

You need to avoid dipping the communion wafer. It's the same as someone dipping a wheat thin into the onion dip and you using a gluten-free cracker and doing the same.

"Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is. The way we cope with it makes the difference." Virginia Satir

"The strongest of all warriors are these two - time and patience." Leo Tolstoy

"If you want to lift yourself up, lift up someone else" Booker T. Washington

“If idiots could fly, the sky would be like an airport.”― Laura Davenport 

"Do or do not. There is no try. "-  Yoda.

"LTES"  Gem 2014

Misdiagnosed for 25+ years; Finally Diagnosed with Celiac  11/01/10.  Double DQ2 genes. This thing tried to kill me. I view Celiac as a fire breathing dragon --and I have run my sword right through his throat.
I. Win. bliss-smiley-emoticon.gif

#5 T.H.

T.H.

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,816 posts

Posted 29 March 2012 - 12:01 AM

If extra care is taken about the wine and that doesn't solve the problem, you may want to investigate the wafers as well for potential cross-contamination issues.

What steps are taken during communion to ensure that your wafers are not coming into contact with gluten? Do you pick it up yourself from a special plate, or does someone who has been handling the gluten wafers hand it to you? Are they stored separately from the gluten wafers? That might be worth checking.

If you are Catholic, this article may be of interest as well:
http://www.celiac.co...vity/Page1.html

While some churches allow gluten free communion wafers that are not wheat-based, the Catholic church does not. Most Catholics may do well on the low gluten wafers (they are actually not gluten free, as they are 100 ppm or so), but as it mentions in the article, individual sensitivity may vary.

T.H.

Gluten free since August 10, 2009.
21 years with undiagnosed Celiac Disease

23 years with undiagnosed sulfite sensitivity

25 years with undiagnosed mast cell activation disorder (MCAD) 

Daughter: celiac and MCAD positive

Son: gluten intolerant
Father, brother: celiac positive

#6 kaygato

kaygato

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 21 posts

Posted 30 March 2012 - 08:10 PM

Thanks everyone! I'm planning on not dipping the wafer into the wine this Sunday. :) Also, I know that it's 100% gluten free.

#7 Di2011

Di2011

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 660 posts

Posted 30 March 2012 - 11:50 PM

You might still want to check with the supplier of the wafers about the 100% gluten free. Best to be assured by the supplier that their suppliers are gluten free.

I'm a DH/super sensitive so maybe I am (ie need to be) a bit paranoid compared to regular gluten-free'ers

#8 Di2011

Di2011

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 660 posts

Posted 30 March 2012 - 11:58 PM

Oh and blessings to you. I'm not a church frequenter but I know how much it means to you. Keep your church safe for you and your church will keep you safe.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: