This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Help Celiac.com:
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Desperate To Lose 10 Lbs

obesiac

obesiac Newbie

Had undiagnosed celiac and DH for 40+ years . 5'8" 205 lbs female . I just want to lose 10 lbs. Nothing works, I eat 1500 cal/day of nutritious gluten free food and variety .I'm always hungry 2hrs after eating.

Past- Atkins for 4 months lost only 4 lbs while the rest of the family lost a lb a day. Weight watchers for 5 months lost only 5 lbs while everyone else loses 2-3 lbs a week. Past- power walked for 1 and a half hours a day for 6 days a week for years just to maintain and this stopped working.

I'm approaching 50 and my joints are worn down and my feet are killing me . I can only walk for a half hour before I have to rest my feet.

I have no insurance and am unemployed due to brain fog. Was a nurse but cant take the responsibility .

Anyone have similar situation. Ideas. DESPERATE.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Ollie's Mom Apprentice

I'm sorry about your struggles. I haven't had to deal with anything like this so I won't have much experience to share. Although I was wondering if maybe sticking to foods with low glycemic indices to keep your blood sugar steady might help?

I hope you get more advice and find something that works for you.

mushroom Proficient

Hello, and welcome.

To start on a positive note, perhaps you should change your name to "skinniac" :D There is no underestimating the power of positive thinking. :o How long post-gluten are you? Because the good news is, it could have been the gluten preventing you from losing weight :blink: The standard thinking goes that celiacs become skinny because of malabsorption. The other side of the story is that just as many gain weight that they cannot lose because of malabsorption. My theory on this is that the body perceives it is being starved of necessary nutrients for its normal functioning, goes into preservation mode and hangs on tightly to every calorie in whatever form it can get its tentacles on. Ever so many people find that instead of gaining weight gluten free (which is what the skinny ones do) they actually lose weight once the body realizes it doesn't have to hang on to all those calories in order to be "fed". Of course, this requires that you find out what nutrients you are deficient in and supplement them until you can start absorbing them properly. Some of us long-time undiagnosed even find that we need to stay on supplements.

I am sorry that you are having such problems with your joints. However, there is even some hope on this score, because gluten can cause our joints to become inflamed and if you can get rid of that inflammation that soreness sometimes goes away.

So tell us a little more about your situation, your diagnosis, how long gluten free and we will give you as much help as we can. :)

Takala Enthusiast

You shouldn't be still having brain fog, first, check your diet to see if you are getting cross contaminated with gluten somewhere, and eat as little processed foods as possible. Do you react to oats, even the certified gluten free ones? Are you eating millet ? That tends to be high in probability of cc, and it really did a number on me. What is your soy reaction ? Soy is not our friend.

Second, can you get your thyroid checked somehow for both hormone levels AND antibodies (for auto immune thyroid disease), as thyroid complications are very common with celiac. Many of us tend towards low thyroid function, whether or not we are formally diagnosed with this.

Third, your feet. I can completely sympathize, as I am arthritic and it is finally getting around to messing up the joints in my feet after several decades of it moving around from other areas. You can and should do any exercises that are not using them as much as possible, swimming, bicycling, kayaking, yoga, weights, pilates, barn work horse grooming, gardening, whatever. Exercise is exercise, more muscle tone makes you smaller, irregardless of the weight on the scale. Experiment with footwear, I am completely unfashionable and have worn slightly oversized hiking boots for years whenever I go out, for the support, so nothing is hitting my toes. My feet stopped a lot of swelling, when I gave up eating processed lunch meat, even if the package said "gluten free" on it, there was something there I was reacting to, which was causing some edema. Yeah, it's a nuisance to have to cook a meat or fish or egg for lunch sometimes, but what a difference.

Four. Diet. Try Specific Carbohydrate Diet, or SCD, or a customized, modified version, with a small amount of rice/beans/potato, or Paleo. Some of us are very more carb intolerant than the average person, and do better on a higher protein and fat diet, and much worse on the diets like "weight watchers" (which I swear should be called "waste walleters" :huh: ) which assumes you are going to lose weight on things like cereals. Meh. I tried being really, really, really strict with myself caloriewise last year, and actually gained weight. I gave up, and went back to eating as many vegetables as I wanted, fruits, proteins, fats, nuts, less grains, and lost weight because I had more energy to move.

Five. Give yourself permission to not be skinny, as long as you are in reasonable physical condition. It is not the end of the world, you just have to be able to put up with the insults from the (deleted) people who should know better.

Skylark Collaborator

Have you had a thorough thyroid workup? Weight + brain fog = thyroid trouble!

Molly Susan Newbie

Hi there,one common pitfall with weight loss is not eating enough - you have to make sure that you are eating the right things probably 4-5 times a day. Unprocessed food, Protein, fruits, veggies. My naturopath saids to me I want you eating lots of Protein and lots of veggies.Try and balance your meals as well - make sure there is Protein on your plate for every meal! You could also look into supplementing your Adrenal gland. Undiagnosed Celiac usually = exhuasted Adrenals and once they quit you will not lose any weight.

I dealt with the same thing last summer after being diagnosed in Feb 2011 I gained 10 pounds and could not lose it. It took me 3 months to lose it (once I started trying)I really had to force myself to eat frequently - so that my body did not stay in starvation mode. It is also hard to not see immendiate results so I hear you on that one! Now I would like to lose 10 more, and even with all I know it seems a lot more difficult than it used to be. (I'm 5'6 140 pounds right now)I keep telling myself that before diagnoses I did not have any trouble with my weight because everyting just ran right through me! Anyway Good Luck and try to approach it as a total lifestyle change, and it will take some time.

Hopefully things gfet better hang in there!

obesiac Newbie

Thanks to you all for your understanding and kind words and sharing. My tsh is normal. No insurance to get a thorough check. I do take supplements plus a little juicing. I will research adrenals. I will reread all your posts and put info to use. Good luck with all your struggles.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Skylark Collaborator

Thanks to you all for your understanding and kind words and sharing. My tsh is normal. No insurance to get a thorough check. I do take supplements plus a little juicing. I will research adrenals. I will reread all your posts and put info to use. Good luck with all your struggles.

TSH is not adequate to diagnose thyroid problems unless you have no other hypo- symptoms at all. A LOT of people with celiac have thyroid trouble. Hashimoto's is also more common. I would suggest you ask for a referral to an experienced endocrinologist. Your thyroid gland activates your adrenals so if you are slightly hypothyroid your adrenals will be sluggish as well.

twe0708 Community Regular

TSH is not adequate to diagnose thyroid problems unless you have no other hypo- symptoms at all. A LOT of people with celiac have thyroid trouble. Hashimoto's is also more common. I would suggest you ask for a referral to an experienced endocrinologist. Your thyroid gland activates your adrenals so if you are slightly hypothyroid your adrenals will be sluggish as well.

What test is done to check your adrenals? My last thyroid test was 3.3. Is this normal because I always feel tired and barely make it through the day. I also have put on 10 pounds and have never had a weight problem. Can't tell if I am starting menopause or if it's my thyroid. I'm in my early 40's so who knows!

Ninja Contributor

According to the new range, 3.0 should be the cut off for TSH.

Molly Susan Newbie

I am not sure what test you would have done to check your Adrenal Gland but my Naturopath said that going undiagnosed with Celiac for long periods of time will always end up in Adrenal fatigue. So she put me on some natural Adrenal Boost supplement. I take 2 pills each morning. I also take 1 protein/Vitamin/Mineral Shake per day called Medi Clear.Glutamine / Cal Mag Citrate 2 tsp per day. It is costly but it really seems to help. ac

Skylark Collaborator

What test is done to check your adrenals? My last thyroid test was 3.3. Is this normal because I always feel tired and barely make it through the day. I also have put on 10 pounds and have never had a weight problem. Can't tell if I am starting menopause or if it's my thyroid. I'm in my early 40's so who knows!

No, TSH of 3.3 is not normal according to the new reference ranges. It should be below 3.0 and preferably below 2.5. You are most likely hypothyroid and you need an endocrinologist!

"Adrenal fatigue" is a fad diagnosis that is making a lot of people terribly ill because their underlying health problems are missed. Don't sweat your adrenals. You need to focus on your thyroid first, and once you get that fixed the adrenals will follow.

mommida Enthusiast

You have excellent advice already.

Drink a glass of ice water before your meals. Put away half of the meal for when you get hungry later. Really just get your plate of food and cut it in half, push it to the side. Smell your meal before you start eating. Chew each bite slowly and thoroughly. Eating smaller portions more often really helps some people.

Vitamin supplement with Biotin. I heve felt rejuvenated since taking more Biotin. Naturally found in animal liver. I just can't eat that. It helps with metabolism and hair and nail growth. (if your thyroid is low that should be one of the side effects you are experiencing?)

For your workouts. Is there a worthy cause you can help out for the day? Habitat for Hummanity, sorting items for an orphanage, packing boxes for the troups, and... any others I just can't think of right now. Make your workout part of something bigger that gives you added satisfaction of a job well done. Even scrubbing your house to your favorite music. Shake your booty girl, till you can bounce a quarter off it! :P

frieze Community Regular

what is your TSH? as has been pointed out, the newer levels say below 3.

obesiac Newbie

Hello again. My tsh is 2.13. I've been strict gluten free since summer 2010. Starting to take ginko see if it helps brain fog. Looking into DHEA for the adrenal support. Will research biotin. Thanks everyone.

love2travel Mentor

I recently gained 12 lb and together with my dietitian realized I was eating too much fruit each day. Plus I had re-introduced cheese into my diet. After eating less fruit (fructose) and replacing it with vegetables and cutting out most of the cheese I dropped the 12 lb fairly quickly, thankfully. I still have weight to lose from a few years ago but am doing well. Finally!

Believe me, I understand how you must feel. Even 10 lb does make a difference! I have a further 20 I need to lose but am not focusing on the number, just on how I feel. It does help being accountable by weighing in with my dietitian each month.

frieze Community Regular

Open Original Shared Link

since you don't have insurance, check this out, good luck

JustNana Apprentice

My two cents worth. ( sheesh I seem to have posted a gazillion times today. I think it's therapeutic.

I agree with the need to have thyroid test. TSH is next to useless unless it's part of a picture. You need FT3 and FT4 as well. Hypothyroidism will kick your butt and totally keep you from losing weight.

I also think even the term "adrenal fatigue" is faddish as it's not a recognized medical condition. Adrenal insufficiency is serious. I have had Drs in the past suspect me of Addison's or Cushings. Should get checked again I guess, but think Skylark is right.

Look at the site called Stop the Madness. It's thyroid info from patients like here though I cannot vouch for the accuracy. I have fought weight issues all my life and actually have lost a bit since starting thyroid Meds.

Another great post mushroom. I think there is support for your theory too.

Obesiac if you had undiadnosed celiac for 40 years you undoubtedly have major damage. Don't let lack of insurance stop you. You can get FT3 and FT4 tests for less than the price of a tank of gas in some places. Your quality of life is on the line. I am starting to think my brain fog is a bit better after a few weeks on Levoxl.

Keep us posted. We are rooting for you.

• 3 years later...
obesiac Newbie

UPDATE - I am down 20 lbs since posting this thread. So that makes 50 lbs total. I don't remember the exact date when I was at my heaviest , most likely pre 2010. The weight loss is very slow but steady and I am no longer starving. I feel so much better that I have reduced my supplements ( vitamins). I don't feel 100% yet but I no longer feel desperate. A lot less brain fog, fatigue, achy joints.

Thank you celiac.com for this forum. It has helped and encouraged me in healing. It is a record of progress.

Good luck to the newly diagnosed. The healing can take  a very long time.

cyclinglady Grand Master

So happy for you! Thanks for the update. I am sure it will encourage many!

GF Lover Rising Star

UPDATE - I am down 20 lbs since posting this thread. So that makes 50 lbs total. I don't remember the exact date when I was at my heaviest , most likely pre 2010. The weight loss is very slow but steady and I am no longer starving. I feel so much better that I have reduced my supplements ( vitamins). I don't feel 100% yet but I no longer feel desperate. A lot less brain fog, fatigue, achy joints.

Thank you celiac.com for this forum. It has helped and encouraged me in healing. It is a record of progress.

Good luck to the newly diagnosed. The healing can take  a very long time.

Time to change your Member Name  :D Glad your feeling better.

Cara in Boston Enthusiast

Read up on the Paleo diet.  I lost weight while consuming slightly more calories.  Once I eliminated grains and added more fat, that seemed to do the trick.  Plus, I found that I felt GREAT.  Not starving all the time.  I made sure I had protein and fat at every meal (avocado, nuts, olive oil, etc.) and everything improved (medical numbers, skin, hair, energy, mood, etc.)

fran641 Contributor

I am so happy for you. It is wonderful to see someone improving. When I went gluten-free I began to lose the weight and feel so much better too.

Archived