101 replies to this topic

#91 pricklypear1971

pricklypear1971

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,684 posts

Posted 12 April 2012 - 05:26 PM

One day Prickly, one day, it will happen for both of us --- "the other side".Posted Image

Now, I have one or two questions so that I don't screw myself up again. I got some Solgar Advanced Multi-Billion Dophilus. the ingredients are:

http://www.solgar.co..._W625_H475.jpeg

And I want to take some L-Glutamine

http://www.solgar.co...le-Capsules.htm

Is there anything in these items which stick out to you as being high sal?

Oh, I'd pm eatmeat or someone else who is better at sals. I get the obvious ones but don't know a thing about supplaments.
Apparently there is nothing that cannot happen today. ~ Mark Twain

Probable Endometriosis, in remission from childbirth since 2002.
Hashimoto's DX 2005.
Gluten-Free since 6/2011.
DH (and therefore Celiac) dx from ND
Responsive to iodine withdrawal for DH (see quote, above).

Genetic tests reveal half DQ2, half DQ8 - I'm a weird bird!

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#92 squirmingitch

squirmingitch

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,372 posts

Posted 12 April 2012 - 05:31 PM

Thanks very much. Will do. Nice to know who to go to.Posted Image

Self diagnosed dh Sept. 2011~~~ confirmed dx July 18, 2012
Gluten free Dec. 2011
Soy free Dec. 2011
Hubs self diagnosed dh March 30, 2012
Hubs gluten free March 30, 2012

Summer 2013 We both have added back a little soy which is near unavoidable & we are doing okay with that small amount.

#93 dani nero

dani nero

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 623 posts

Posted 13 April 2012 - 01:49 AM

I am so happy for you Squirming! I hope you'll always be well from now on :-)

Pear thanks for making both of us feel better! I don't know what was going on the past month but I am feeling much better energy-wise and mentally now.
Self diagnosed January 2012, and on elimination, low-salicylate & low-iodine diet.
Also G6PD

#94 dani nero

dani nero

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 623 posts

Posted 13 April 2012 - 01:55 AM

Well, I wouldn't say I'm having iodine w/o problems per se. I'm having iodine but not lots of seafood. I have 2, only 2 shrimp, medium sized once a week, having milk & cheese but they are from a local dairy & have less iodine than anything in the grocery store. I had my first WHOLE egg in forever it seems, this week (soft egg on flax toast) & ohhhhhh it was GOOD! I'm eating some yogurt. And there is iodine in almost everything we eat. I'm taking it a bit easy until I find my limit or breaking point. But I feel I'm getting the proper amount of iodine now for health --- just not going nuts on it.

Earlier you asked what I am eating & I realize now that you may have been asking for more detailed. Here goes: Fresh low sal vegetables but I am having some carrots which are in the mid range but I am limiting the amount. Chicken, beef & pork, golden delicious apples, pears, pecans, cashews, sunflower seeds, walnuts, brown rice cakes, cashew butter, sunflower seed butter, rice, potatoes - still eating them w/o skins, leeks, quinoa, Glutino's flax bread, pumpkin seeds, a small amount of sweet potato (med. sals so I limit my intake), milk, cheese. I adore salads & am using the interior leaves to try & limit the sals; I should be eating iceburg lettuce but I simply can't hack the stuff -- it sucks -- so I'm keeping the salads to 2 small ones per week & I put cheese & garbanzo beans (chick peas) in them. Black beans, white acre peas, green peas, green beans. And I had cut out ham b/c of the iodine but am now having ham once a week. Onions, sugar snap peas, celery.

Who says celiacs don't get enough fiber? LOL! I sure am getting it!

Yes that was what I meant :-)
Your diet is really high on the yummy factor.. I drooled just by reading it!
I'm thinking about starting with nuts once I'm sure I'm symptom-free.
I'm also eating carrots and sweet potatoes in limited quantities. I was never able to find safflower oil though.
Self diagnosed January 2012, and on elimination, low-salicylate & low-iodine diet.
Also G6PD

#95 squirmingitch

squirmingitch

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,372 posts

Posted 13 April 2012 - 03:06 AM

Sunflower oil then Dani? Sunflower oil is low sal. Also Canola oil but sunflower oil is better for you than Canola.

Gluten free Dec. 2011
Soy free Dec. 2011

Summer 2013 We both have added back a little soy which is near unavoidable & we are doing okay with that small amount.

#96 PDB*DH

PDB*DH

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 22 April 2012 - 06:01 PM

Hi I'm new here. Trying to read as much as I can. I've learned so much from this one thread! Wow! You all have so much knowledge and have so much to share. Thank you so much.

Several years ago I had terrible diarrhea-type episodes (so sorry for the description). Early last year was the worst. I found Heather's Acacia Powder for IBS which I determined that I had been dealing with. It helped with the rush to the bathroom episodes.

I went to one nurse practitioner when I couldn't get in to my regular NP for an extremely burning rash around my neckline. Plus I also had other spots on my thighs. She (the NP) took cultures for bacterial or viral. Almost 2 weeks later I got a call that the cultures were neither.

About 1 week after the 1st NP I went to my regular NP who thought the rash was Urticaria. She even had a physician come in to look at the rash and he "confirmed" urticaria. That was March 1st. Even tho I explained that the blisters were similar to cold sores since I'm prone to them, I didn't get confirmation from the medical "pros". I understand that all physicians are not well versed in skin conditions.

In the meantime I've read as much as I could about what could be causing the rash. "Wheat Belly" was the book that explained exactly what DH is and the blisters I've experienced! I'm self diagnosed with DH. I've been trying to eliminate gluten from my diet. I was doing pretty well but last week had gluten free waffles with coconut oil and organic jam instead of syrup. Holy cow what an eruption event I've had. I initially attributed it to a very stressful week at work.

After reading your posts about salicylates I've done more research and find that coconut oil and jams are probably the culprits! What an eye opener!

Anyway now I find out that the IBS was also tied to gluten.

It's so nice to find this forum and read of your experiences.

Who would have thought that the "natural" way of doing things and eating would be so detrimental to our health! I've eaten gluten all my life so I'm still in the dark as to how this all evolved. I'm trying to eliminate as many things in my environment that can impact my DH. It's not been a pleasant journey but with the knowledge I'm gleaning here I know more of the things to look out for.

Thank you all!

Hugs,

Peg

#97 Di2011

Di2011

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 660 posts

Posted 23 April 2012 - 01:25 AM

Hi I'm new here. Trying to read as much as I can. I've learned so much from this one thread! Wow! You all have so much knowledge and have so much to share. Thank you so much.

Several years ago I had terrible diarrhea-type episodes (so sorry for the description). Early last year was the worst. I found Heather's Acacia Powder for IBS which I determined that I had been dealing with. It helped with the rush to the bathroom episodes.

I went to one nurse practitioner when I couldn't get in to my regular NP for an extremely burning rash around my neckline. Plus I also had other spots on my thighs. She (the NP) took cultures for bacterial or viral. Almost 2 weeks later I got a call that the cultures were neither.

About 1 week after the 1st NP I went to my regular NP who thought the rash was Urticaria. She even had a physician come in to look at the rash and he "confirmed" urticaria. That was March 1st. Even tho I explained that the blisters were similar to cold sores since I'm prone to them, I didn't get confirmation from the medical "pros". I understand that all physicians are not well versed in skin conditions.

In the meantime I've read as much as I could about what could be causing the rash. "Wheat Belly" was the book that explained exactly what DH is and the blisters I've experienced! I'm self diagnosed with DH. I've been trying to eliminate gluten from my diet. I was doing pretty well but last week had gluten free waffles with coconut oil and organic jam instead of syrup. Holy cow what an eruption event I've had. I initially attributed it to a very stressful week at work.

After reading your posts about salicylates I've done more research and find that coconut oil and jams are probably the culprits! What an eye opener!

Who would have thought that the "natural" way of doing things and eating would be so detrimental to our health! I've eaten gluten all my life so I'm still in the dark as to how this all evolved. I'm trying to eliminate as many things in my environment that can impact my DH. It's not been a pleasant journey but with the knowledge I'm gleaning here I know more of the things to look out for.

Thank you all!

Hugs,

Peg

What a lovely post Peg. So nice that you have joined us (despite the fact that none of us really want this problem). Be sure to ask whatever questions or for any advice that you need.
Di

#98 dani nero

dani nero

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 623 posts

Posted 23 April 2012 - 02:19 AM

Sunflower oil then Dani? Sunflower oil is low sal. Also Canola oil but sunflower oil is better for you than Canola.

Can't believe how easy it is to miss posts! Thanks for the suggestions Squirming!
Also G6PD

#99 dani nero

dani nero

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 623 posts

Posted 23 April 2012 - 02:20 AM

Thank you all!

Hugs,

Peg

Glad you found the source of your problem :-) and welcome!
Also G6PD

#100 squirmingitch

squirmingitch

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,372 posts

Posted 23 April 2012 - 07:08 AM

Anyway now I find out that the IBS was also tied to gluten.

Thank you all!

Hugs,

Peg

And Peg...for now ditch the dairy products & also soy. Many celiacs have problems with both in the beginning. Also with dh the dairy is high in iodine & that can make the dh flare or not go away.
Someone please tell Peg about the iodine factor here. I have terrible brain fog & out there right now. Feels like I've been glutened. Will start a thread on it after lunch. Starving --- gotta go.

Gluten free Dec. 2011
Soy free Dec. 2011

#101 cougie23

cougie23

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 238 posts

Posted 25 April 2012 - 03:23 PM

Takala...Quote
The Springtime Pets~

"My dogs. They runneth in green pastures, besides the still waters. They draggeth in many detritus. They sneaketh into the hay barn, which is old and hopelessly full of straw dust besides the rats they're hunting. They lead us to antihistamines. Yeah, tho I scratch thru the Valley of Evil, thy doggie bath comforteth me. "
I know its off subject...but THATS SO CLEVER!!!!....I just HAD to say something!!!
I LOVE IT !!! :lol: :lol: :lol:
Cougie23
Diagnosed 8/3/11
Celiacs/casein sensitive/lactose intolerent

Favorite quotes-
"I know you think you understand what you thought I said,
But I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant!!!"-anonyamous

"you can lead a donkey to the river...but if you want him to drink...
you have to throw him in" -(21 yr.old son)

#102 squirmingitch

squirmingitch

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,372 posts

Posted 25 April 2012 - 04:23 PM

Takala...Quote
The Springtime Pets~

"My dogs. They runneth in green pastures, besides the still waters. They draggeth in many detritus. They sneaketh into the hay barn, which is old and hopelessly full of straw dust besides the rats they're hunting. They lead us to antihistamines. Yeah, tho I scratch thru the Valley of Evil, thy doggie bath comforteth me. "
I know its off subject...but THATS SO CLEVER!!!!....I just HAD to say something!!!
I LOVE IT !!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Isn't that clever Cougie? I just LOVE it!

Gluten free Dec. 2011
Soy free Dec. 2011

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: