This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Coffee

Mrs. C

Mrs. C Newbie

Much to my suprise I found out that all coffee is not gluten free, if you want to be sure your coffee is gluten free, grind your own coffee beans with your own grinder.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

kareng Grand Master

Much to my suprise I found out that all coffee is not gluten free, if you want to be sure your coffee is gluten free, grind your own coffee beans with your own grinder.

Please explain what coffee you are talking about as most all regular coffee is gluten free.

No need to scare new people.

Christine0125 Contributor

Please explain what coffee you are talking about as most all regular coffee is gluten free.

No need to scare new people.

Are you talking about instant coffee? I know I read recently that some of that was not gluten free.

lovegrov Collaborator

Please detail the coffees you've found that aren't gluten-free. We know that virtually all ARE gluten-free, but if some aren't it would be helpful to let people know which ones.

richard

psawyer Proficient

Every source that I am aware of lists coffee, including instant coffee, as being gluten-free. Please provide the specifics to support your statement.

JustNana Apprentice

I have never found a coffee that contains gluten though I have only been looking recently and at standard supermarkets and coffee places. I'd love to know where/from whom you got the info.

Lisa Mentor
:lol: Well Good! Glad that's settled. :rolleyes:

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

ciamarie Rookie

Here's a thread with a response from Millstone about their flavored coffee's possibly having gluten:

This thread talks about CC and coffee:

And I know that I stopped drinking coffee and switched to tea after about 2 months of gluten-free, as I was having gluten type reactions, but not drinking flavored coffee. I think it's too easy for the flavored and non-flavored to 'co-mingle'. I read multiple threads on here about coffee, and couldn't be sure (unless I perhaps switched to organic and always ground it myself -- not in the budget!), so I decided to drink it rarely instead of daily.

psawyer Proficient

Flavored coffee could possibly (although not likely) have gluten in the flavor. The principal source of gluten in flavoring is barley malt, as a sweetener. It is an expensive ingredient, so it is very rarely hidden.

lovegrov Collaborator

Coffee is just simply not a major concern for CC.

richard

• 5 months later...
MissPenhallow Newbie

I want other Celiacs to know that Gevalia Coffee is NOT gluten free. I have been getting sick after drinking Gevalia's Traditional Roast coffee, but I thought it had to be my imagination. I contacted the company just in case. Here is their reply:

We apologize for your inconvenience. Please be advised that ALL of our products have a trace of gluten.

GEVALIA

kareng Grand Master

I want other Celiacs to know that Gevalia Coffee is NOT gluten free. I have been getting sick after drinking Gevalia's Traditional Roast coffee, but I thought it had to be my imagination. I contacted the company just in case. Here is their reply:

We apologize for your inconvenience. Please be advised that ALL of our products have a trace of gluten.

GEVALIA

pricklypear1971 Community Regular

Hmm...maybe this explains it. I think this is from 2009.

Open Original Shared Link

I guess the question should be the source of the gluten??

kareng Grand Master

Hmm...maybe this explains it. I think this is from 2009.

Open Original Shared Link

I guess the question should be the source of the gluten??

They answered my first email within a few minutes. But haven't answered the one asking what it is and if its clearly labelled.

I'm wondering if "Our coffees contain a trace of Gluten" is Swedish for CYA. :)

They answered my first email within a few minutes. But haven't answered the one asking what it is and if its clearly labelled.

I'm wondering if "Our coffees contain a trace of Gluten" is Swedish for CYA. :)

Maybe so. I could see it coming from the flavored stuff...perhaps the plain gets cc'd. Or maybe it's corn. Who knows. But I'd like to know since coffee is the one thing I don't screen when out (aside from not ordering froofy drinks or flavored).

kareng Grand Master

Maybe so. I could see it coming from the flavored stuff...perhaps the plain gets cc'd. Or maybe it's corn. Who knows. But I'd like to know since coffee is the one thing I don't screen when out (aside from not ordering froofy drinks or flavored).

Why don't you email or call and see what they tell you. we can see if they are consistant or maybe tell one of us something else. They may be wondering why all the interest in gluten.

Why don't you email or call and see what they tell you. we can see if they are consistant or maybe tell one of us something else. They may be wondering why all the interest in gluten.

I'll try to remember to do it tomorrow. Remind me if I don't post.

come dance with me Enthusiast

Once again, it might be different from country to country, but some of the flavoured coffees have gluten in them, but they are clearly labelled as containing gluten, or being produced in the same place as other products containing gluten. The regular coffees are fine, and it's those mixes that are not suitable where you just add water and they already have the milk in them and are sweetened. Not sure if you get them over there, or know what I'm talking about. Being vegan I wouldn't use them anyway, but have taken notice of pretty much everything just to keep it in mind what's safe and what isn't.

kareng Grand Master

It was thier US website. It had products for sale in the US. There was no way, that I could find, to see the ingredients of the plain or flavored coffees before you ordered them.

bartfull Rising Star

All of the corn allergy forums warn that there is corn in coffee. I don't know WHY there should be corn in coffee, but I think they are talking about something in the roasting process.

I think if you grind your coffee in the grinders at the grocery store there might be a chance of CC. But grinding it at home would solve that problem and it'll taste better too. (Helps to wake you up in the morning when that noisy grinder starts humming too.)

Did any of you know that you can roast your own coffee in a popcorn popper? It has to be one that "spins" as it pops. It'll make your whole house smell good too. You can order beans online, and if you love coffee as much as I do (It is my favorite ingestible thing in the world.) I reccommend you start with Costa Rican beans. They aren't nearly as expensive as some of the other types like Jamaican Blue Mountain or Kona, but oh my, they are SO good!

come dance with me Enthusiast

All of the corn allergy forums warn that there is corn in coffee. I don't know WHY there should be corn in coffee, but I think they are talking about something in the roasting process.

I think if you grind your coffee in the grinders at the grocery store there might be a chance of CC. But grinding it at home would solve that problem and it'll taste better too. (Helps to wake you up in the morning when that noisy grinder starts humming too.)

Did any of you know that you can roast your own coffee in a popcorn popper? It has to be one that "spins" as it pops. It'll make your whole house smell good too. You can order beans online, and if you love coffee as much as I do (It is my favorite ingestible thing in the world.) I reccommend you start with Costa Rican beans. They aren't nearly as expensive as some of the other types like Jamaican Blue Mountain or Kona, but oh my, they are SO good!

We're getting a pop corn maker for Christmas (in the shape of a dinosaur, it's adorable) so that's really good to know.

Okay, I called Gevalia. If anyone else calls just press 1.

Talked with a nice lady that answered "no" to my question "Do Gevalia coffees contain wheat, barley, or rye gluten"?

I then explained that a friend had sent a request through the website asking if their coffees were gluten-free and received a response they contain trace gluten. I then explained the article from 2009 about corn gluten.

She then checked somewhere else (including reading a box of coffee to see what it said) and came back with the response that the FLAVORED coffees contain gluten, but she didn't know what type of gluten.

She is having the question bumped up and someone is supposed to call me tomorrow.

kareng Grand Master

Asked if the gluten is listed and how to see the ingredients before we bought them as I didn't see any on the website. Looking at this response, I'm guessing that the trace of gluten won't hurt our diabetes? they appear really clueless. It does worry me if the coffee does contain gluten, how would you know when you ordered that it wasn't like all other coffee? At this rate, we will have to report them to the FDA for undeclared gluten.

"Thank you for your e-mail.

All coffees have…

Serving Size: 6 oz.

Fat: Trace

Caffeine: 85 mg (decaffeinated, 2-3 mg )

Potassium: 150 mg

Calories: 0

Protein: 0 mg

Carbohydrates: 0 mg

Sodium: 0 mg

Cholesterol: 0 mg

Gluten: Trace

All Gevalia coffees and teas, including flavored, have an insignificant amount of calories, carbohydrates, fat and protein; therefore, many individuals with diabetes find they can include such products in their meal plans. Customers must be advised that to obtain help with his/her personal meal plan he/she should consult a registered dietitian or certified diabetes educator.

If you require additional information regarding our products or services, please contact our Customer Service Center at 1-800-GEVALIA (1-800-438-2542); visit our website at www.gevalia.com; or e-mail us using our contact link at www.gevalia.com/contactus. We will be happy to assist you."

sa1937 Community Regular

There's more on Gevalia coffee Open Original Shared Link. Other brands are mentioned that are gluten-free.

bridgetm Enthusiast

This is the first I've heard of any black coffee containing gluten, but some instant flavored coffees do contain wheat, for example some flavors in the Maxwell House International tins. Whenever I buy anything flavored, I just make sure to read the label like I do with any other food.

Archived