36 replies to this topic

#16 kareng

kareng

Gobble! Gobble!

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,241 posts

Posted 05 September 2012 - 08:19 PM

Maybe so. I could see it coming from the flavored stuff...perhaps the plain gets cc'd. Or maybe it's corn. Who knows. But I'd like to know since coffee is the one thing I don't screen when out (aside from not ordering froofy drinks or flavored).

Why don't you email or call and see what they tell you. we can see if they are consistant or maybe tell one of us something else. They may be wondering why all the interest in gluten.

Thanksgiving dinners take 18 hours to prepare.  They are consumed in 12 minutes.  Half-times take 12 minutes.  This is not a coincidence.  - Emma Bombeck

dancing-turkey.gif

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#17 pricklypear1971

pricklypear1971

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,684 posts

Posted 05 September 2012 - 08:32 PM

Why don't you email or call and see what they tell you. we can see if they are consistant or maybe tell one of us something else. They may be wondering why all the interest in gluten.

I'll try to remember to do it tomorrow. Remind me if I don't post.
Apparently there is nothing that cannot happen today. ~ Mark Twain

Probable Endometriosis, in remission from childbirth since 2002.
Hashimoto's DX 2005.
Gluten-Free since 6/2011.
DH (and therefore Celiac) dx from ND
Responsive to iodine withdrawal for DH (see quote, above).

Genetic tests reveal half DQ2, half DQ8 - I'm a weird bird!

#18 come dance with me

come dance with me

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 401 posts

Posted 05 September 2012 - 09:36 PM

Once again, it might be different from country to country, but some of the flavoured coffees have gluten in them, but they are clearly labelled as containing gluten, or being produced in the same place as other products containing gluten. The regular coffees are fine, and it's those mixes that are not suitable where you just add water and they already have the milk in them and are sweetened. Not sure if you get them over there, or know what I'm talking about. Being vegan I wouldn't use them anyway, but have taken notice of pretty much everything just to keep it in mind what's safe and what isn't.
Lord please give me patience, because if you give me strength, I may just beat the living crap out of someone...

#19 kareng

kareng

Gobble! Gobble!

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,241 posts

Posted 06 September 2012 - 04:56 AM

It was thier US website. It had products for sale in the US. There was no way, that I could find, to see the ingredients of the plain or flavored coffees before you ordered them.

Thanksgiving dinners take 18 hours to prepare.  They are consumed in 12 minutes.  Half-times take 12 minutes.  This is not a coincidence.  - Emma Bombeck

dancing-turkey.gif

#20 bartfull

bartfull

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,563 posts

Posted 06 September 2012 - 10:48 AM

All of the corn allergy forums warn that there is corn in coffee. I don't know WHY there should be corn in coffee, but I think they are talking about something in the roasting process.

I think if you grind your coffee in the grinders at the grocery store there might be a chance of CC. But grinding it at home would solve that problem and it'll taste better too. (Helps to wake you up in the morning when that noisy grinder starts humming too.)

Did any of you know that you can roast your own coffee in a popcorn popper? It has to be one that "spins" as it pops. It'll make your whole house smell good too. You can order beans online, and if you love coffee as much as I do (It is my favorite ingestible thing in the world.) I reccommend you start with Costa Rican beans. They aren't nearly as expensive as some of the other types like Jamaican Blue Mountain or Kona, but oh my, they are SO good!

gluten-free since June, 2011

Can't eat soy, corn, or foods high in salicylates.

Nightshades now seem to bother me too.

BUT I CAN STILL PLAY MY GUITAR AND THAT"S ALL THAT MATTERS!

#21 come dance with me

come dance with me

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 401 posts

Posted 06 September 2012 - 04:03 PM

All of the corn allergy forums warn that there is corn in coffee. I don't know WHY there should be corn in coffee, but I think they are talking about something in the roasting process.

I think if you grind your coffee in the grinders at the grocery store there might be a chance of CC. But grinding it at home would solve that problem and it'll taste better too. (Helps to wake you up in the morning when that noisy grinder starts humming too.)

Did any of you know that you can roast your own coffee in a popcorn popper? It has to be one that "spins" as it pops. It'll make your whole house smell good too. You can order beans online, and if you love coffee as much as I do (It is my favorite ingestible thing in the world.) I reccommend you start with Costa Rican beans. They aren't nearly as expensive as some of the other types like Jamaican Blue Mountain or Kona, but oh my, they are SO good!

We're getting a pop corn maker for Christmas (in the shape of a dinosaur, it's adorable) so that's really good to know.
Lord please give me patience, because if you give me strength, I may just beat the living crap out of someone...

#22 pricklypear1971

pricklypear1971

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,684 posts

Posted 06 September 2012 - 04:25 PM

Okay, I called Gevalia. If anyone else calls just press 1.

Talked with a nice lady that answered "no" to my question "Do Gevalia coffees contain wheat, barley, or rye gluten"?

I then explained that a friend had sent a request through the website asking if their coffees were gluten-free and received a response they contain trace gluten. I then explained the article from 2009 about corn gluten.

She then checked somewhere else (including reading a box of coffee to see what it said) and came back with the response that the FLAVORED coffees contain gluten, but she didn't know what type of gluten.

She is having the question bumped up and someone is supposed to call me tomorrow.

Hashimoto's DX 2005.

#23 kareng

kareng

Gobble! Gobble!

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,241 posts

Posted 06 September 2012 - 04:46 PM

Asked if the gluten is listed and how to see the ingredients before we bought them as I didn't see any on the website. Looking at this response, I'm guessing that the trace of gluten won't hurt our diabetes? they appear really clueless. It does worry me if the coffee does contain gluten, how would you know when you ordered that it wasn't like all other coffee? At this rate, we will have to report them to the FDA for undeclared gluten.

"Thank you for your e-mail.

All coffees have…
Serving Size: 6 oz.
Fat: Trace
Caffeine: 85 mg (decaffeinated, 2-3 mg )
Potassium: 150 mg
Calories: 0
Protein: 0 mg
Carbohydrates: 0 mg
Sodium: 0 mg
Cholesterol: 0 mg
Gluten: Trace

All Gevalia coffees and teas, including flavored, have an insignificant amount of calories, carbohydrates, fat and protein; therefore, many individuals with diabetes find they can include such products in their meal plans. Customers must be advised that to obtain help with his/her personal meal plan he/she should consult a registered dietitian or certified diabetes educator.

If you require additional information regarding our products or services, please contact our Customer Service Center at 1-800-GEVALIA (1-800-438-2542); visit our website at www.gevalia.com; or e-mail us using our contact link at www.gevalia.com/contactus. We will be happy to assist you."

dancing-turkey.gif

#24 sa1937

sa1937

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,657 posts

Posted 07 September 2012 - 05:17 PM

There's more on Gevalia coffee here. Other brands are mentioned that are gluten-free.
Sylvia
Positive Celiac Blood Panel - Dec., 2009
Endoscopy with Positive Biopsy - April 9, 2010
Gluten Free - April 9, 2010

#25 bridgetm

bridgetm

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 286 posts

Posted 13 September 2012 - 04:47 PM

This is the first I've heard of any black coffee containing gluten, but some instant flavored coffees do contain wheat, for example some flavors in the Maxwell House International tins. Whenever I buy anything flavored, I just make sure to read the label like I do with any other food.

#26 pricklypear1971

pricklypear1971

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,684 posts

Posted 13 September 2012 - 04:53 PM

Okay, I called Gevalia. If anyone else calls just press 1.

Talked with a nice lady that answered "no" to my question "Do Gevalia coffees contain wheat, barley, or rye gluten"?

I then explained that a friend had sent a request through the website asking if their coffees were gluten-free and received a response they contain trace gluten. I then explained the article from 2009 about corn gluten.

She then checked somewhere else (including reading a box of coffee to see what it said) and came back with the response that the FLAVORED coffees contain gluten, but she didn't know what type of gluten.

She is having the question bumped up and someone is supposed to call me tomorrow.

BTW Gevalia hasn't ever called back. Or if they did, no message.

Hashimoto's DX 2005.

#27 kareng

kareng

Gobble! Gobble!

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,241 posts

Posted 13 September 2012 - 05:28 PM

They never emailed me back after the stupid response about the amount of gluten being suitable for diabetics. Any company that doesn't known the difference between gluten and glucose is scary for anyone consuming these products.

dancing-turkey.gif

#28 come dance with me

come dance with me

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 401 posts

Posted 13 September 2012 - 06:51 PM

They never emailed me back after the stupid response about the amount of gluten being suitable for diabetics. Any company that doesn't known the difference between gluten and glucose is scary for anyone consuming these products.

Alarm bells there for sure!

#29 psawyer

psawyer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,057 posts

Posted 13 September 2012 - 06:59 PM

The coffee bean is gluten-free without any doubt. While it is possible that the flavor contains hidden gluten as malted barley, it is not likely. Barley malt is expensive, so rather than hide it, manufacturers will usually highlight it.

I don't like flavor in my coffee, so this is not so much of a concern for me. But I do drink plain coffee all the time, and have never had an issue with it.
Peter
Diagnosis by biopsy of practically non-existent villi; gluten-free since July 2000.
Type 1 (autoimmune) diabetes diagnosed in March 1986
Markham, Ontario (borders on Toronto)

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#30 CeliacAndCfsCrusader

CeliacAndCfsCrusader

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 143 posts

Posted 30 September 2012 - 04:57 PM

If a company says "may contain traces of gluten" AND someone is reporting a reaction, that's enough for me to choose another brand.

Thanks for the information!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: