36 replies to this topic

#31 zamm0

zamm0

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 41 posts

Posted 02 November 2012 - 03:46 AM

Have to say I have noticed less of a trend for reaction (and it is always so mild anyway with me) with my own coffee made in a cafetiere. I use Starbucks Verona blend from Asda with a little milk. I am more likely to get a reaction when buying a coffee out and particularly with ones with a higher milk content such as lattes and cappucinos (lactose issue rather than direct gluten issue?), being mindful not to add any 'sprinkles'. Haven't braved the flavoured coffees from such chains such as mochas - unsure as whether this may be a step too far with gluten in the flavouring. A dietician I saw earlier today recommended decaf for a few months (was diagnosed 6 weeks ago).

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#32 AandGsmomma

AandGsmomma

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 57 posts

Posted 02 November 2012 - 07:48 AM

Dunkin Donuts French Vanilla ground coffee isnt gluten free. The label just says "Natural and Artificial flavors" but I reacted to it several times. I couldnt figure out what was making me ill so I emailed and got a CYA explination that their flavored coffee can have gluten.

#33 mbrookes

mbrookes

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 642 posts

Posted 03 November 2012 - 05:40 PM

Is Gevala really coffee? Wait, I'm thinking of Postum. That has grain, but I don't know what kind. I know I'm safe with my Community with Chicory.

#34 psawyer

psawyer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,048 posts

Posted 03 November 2012 - 05:57 PM

Is Gevala really coffee? Wait, I'm thinking of Postum. That has grain, but I don't know what kind. I know I'm safe with my Community with Chicory.

Postum is made from wheat and wheat bran, among other ingredients. It is a Kraft brand, so any gluten will be clearly listed, but in this case the wheat is front and center.
Peter
Diagnosis by biopsy of practically non-existent villi; gluten-free since July 2000.
Type 1 (autoimmune) diabetes diagnosed in March 1986
Markham, Ontario (borders on Toronto)

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#35 Lisa

Lisa

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,799 posts

Posted 03 November 2012 - 06:18 PM

Dunkin Donuts French Vanilla ground coffee isnt gluten free. The label just says "Natural and Artificial flavors" but I reacted to it several times. I couldnt figure out what was making me ill so I emailed and got a CYA explination that their flavored coffee can have gluten.

Can you post the reply, Please? I am not denying your illness, but often times, we react to different things. It does not always mean that a product or a drink contains gluten.

But it would make sense that there would be a CYA statement, when you buy a cup of coffee in a Donut Shop. :blink:

I would like to see their response. :)
Lisa

Gluten Free - August 15, 2004

"Not all who wander are lost" - JRR Tolkien

#36 zamm0

zamm0

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 41 posts

Posted 05 November 2012 - 01:43 AM

Have to say I have noticed less of a trend for reaction (and it is always so mild anyway with me) with my own coffee made in a cafetiere. I use Starbucks Verona blend from Asda with a little milk. I am more likely to get a reaction when buying a coffee out and particularly with ones with a higher milk content such as lattes and cappucinos (lactose issue rather than direct gluten issue?), being mindful not to add any 'sprinkles'. Haven't braved the flavoured coffees from such chains such as mochas - unsure as whether this may be a step too far with gluten in the flavouring. A dietician I saw earlier today recommended decaf for a few months (was diagnosed 6 weeks ago).

Sorry this is only really applicable for UK readers but here goes and just for info really:
1. Tried two Costa Mochas over the last two days and did not get a reaction and felt fine (their 'Flat White' coffees have given me a mild lactose-like reaction). See here for details:
http://www.costa.co....271/allergy.pdf
2. For the Cafe Nero chain see here for gluten details for their drinks (note: mocha here has wheat) unlike Costa: http://www.caffenero.../hotdrinks.aspx

#37 sandiz

sandiz

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 81 posts

Posted 24 November 2012 - 12:55 AM

I have stopped drinking coffee as it made me sick to my stomach for days after. I also read some where that the roasting of coffee changes it some how and people who are gluten sensitive like me react to it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: