This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Father With Celiac

lisajoh33

lisajoh33 Newbie

My father was diagnosed a month ago with Celiac disease, he is 70 years old. He is having trouble eating, he says nothing tastes good and has to force food down. He is losing weight and is so weak and has no energy to do things (like going to the store, or even trying to cook a gluten free meal). His stomach hurts constantly and I just want to know if this is normal? Is there anything I can do to help him with this disease?

Thank you

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

kenlove Rising Star

It takes some time I think. I was diagnosed in my late 50s and had no energy at all but once going completely gluten free, I started to get back my energy and more importantly my will. You have to make sure he is 100% gluten free and lean where the gluten is hidden. No beer or soy sauce for example unless its special gluten free types. He might be feeling this way because of hidden gluten in his diet. good luck!

My father was diagnosed a month ago with Celiac disease, he is 70 years old. He is having trouble eating, he says nothing tastes good and has to force food down. He is losing weight and is so weak and has no energy to do things (like going to the store, or even trying to cook a gluten free meal). His stomach hurts constantly and I just want to know if this is normal? Is there anything I can do to help him with this disease?

Thank you

Adalaide Mentor

It was about 2 months before I started feeling noticeably better, and it was barely noticeable. It takes time to heal. I still frequently find myself with barely the energy to get out of bed let alone cook something. Things that get me through are being able to throw a chicken breast or steak on my George Foreman grill and a bag of steam-able veggies in the microwave. I make sure I always have gluten free cereal available for when I just can't manage anything else. I also keep fresh fruits and veggies around. I'm not sure how much free time you find yourself with, but it could be a huge help if you can lend a hand a few times a week with making gluten free meals. On his better days you could make it a team effort, and by making large portions he'll have plenty of leftovers or you could even freeze some. Also, crock pots are life savers. All the effort they take is plopping something in and plugging it in. I can end up with half a week of meals from 10 minutes effort.

• 2 weeks later...
Celiacsister1 Newbie

Thank you

When I was diagnosed there was so much damage, I couldn't eat either. My dr put me on predezone, within a day I

Was feeling better. Took a few more weeks before I could eat anything but a slice of watermelon. Was on the steroid for

About 2 months. Talk to his dr.. Good luck

Bubba's Mom Enthusiast

Thank you

Unfortunately, it is normal for some people. Who knows how long he's had Celiac..or how much damage he has? He's probably suffering from malabsorption?

Your Dad should be taking a B vitamin complex, a multi-vitamin, D, and fish oil. When our vitamins are depleted we don't feel like eating, and don't have the energy to cook much. A good probiotic and a digestive enzyme are really helpful too.

If he has easy things to grab and eat like applesauce, bananas, or other fruit, hard boiled eggs, gluten free cereal with a non-dairy milk (I love So Delicious brand coconut milk)it will help him work up the energy to do more.

He could make a pot of chicken rice soup and have it for several meals?

One pot meals like stews are great too. He won't have to watch it as closely as some other foods and can cut and add veggies a bit at a time.

Roasting a chicken in the oven is super easy too..or microwaved baked potatoes or sweet potatoes? Frozen veggies are super easy to prepare too, because they're cleaned and ready to cook.

Maybe you could make him a list of simple meals/grab and go foods to have on hand, and help him get to the store to get the ingredients to make them? I had to have lists of foods at first because when I did get hungry, I couldn't think of what to eat! :o I also didn't have the energy to shop on my own.

Archived