#1 MJ_S

MJ_S

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 174 posts

Posted 29 March 2012 - 08:47 AM

Title says it all.

Right now there's a giant overflowing plate of cookies directly on the other side of my cubicle wall at work (I'm adjacent to the cube that gets used as the kitchen, and the counter is up against my cube wall). Everyone keeps coming in and gushing about the cookies, and I hear it very clearly.

People at my work are obsessed with food. It's constant pizza, cookies, cakes, etc. all day long.

I try my best to ignore it and I think I usually handle it pretty well, but today I'm just depressed and sick of hearing about food I can't eat all day long.

:(

Just wanted to rant.

Blood Tests: TTG IgA Negative / Total IGA Normal

Skin: Confirmed DH
Genetic: DQ8 & DQ6 Positive (DQA1*0301, DQB1*0302, DQA1*0103, DQB1*0603)
Free Of: Gluten 1/1/11, Dairy 2010, Soy 2011

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 Jestgar

Jestgar

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,755 posts

Posted 29 March 2012 - 08:57 AM

Nasty stale things that are cold and pasty. Nothing like the fabulous warm peanut butter cookies you'll make this weekend and eat all warm and chewy right out of the oven. :)
"But then, in all honesty, if scientists don't play god, who will?"
- James Watson

My sources are unreliable, but their information is fascinating.
- Ashleigh Brilliant

Leap, and the net will appear.

#3 Takala

Takala

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,555 posts

Posted 29 March 2012 - 09:17 AM

People at my work are obsessed with food. It's constant pizza, cookies, cakes, etc. all day long.

Sounds like a case of mass malnourishment, to me. :P :rolleyes: :o :blink: ;)

edited to add: just reading that makes me feel queasy.

#4 MJ_S

MJ_S

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 174 posts

Posted 29 March 2012 - 10:13 AM

Nasty stale things that are cold and pasty. Nothing like the fabulous warm peanut butter cookies you'll make this weekend and eat all warm and chewy right out of the oven. :)

I haven't worked up to making cookies yet (need to find a good dairy free recipe for this). I may need to, and soon. Fave is choc chip.

#5 Kimbalou

Kimbalou

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 177 posts

Posted 29 March 2012 - 10:34 AM

Do you like Reese's Peanut Butter Cups? That's what I treat myself to when things like this happen. Just keep some of your favorite snacks with you for times like these. Or, think about all the weight they will gain eating all that crap!!
11/19/10 diagnosed with Celiac disease after positive blood test
12/14/10 Biopsy positive for Celiac disease

#6 pricklypear1971

pricklypear1971

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,684 posts

Posted 29 March 2012 - 10:44 AM

If you can do nuts I highly reco an Elana's Pantry recipe. There's a triple chocolate chip recipe that's un-freaking-believable and is milk free.

And isn't there a way to move to a different cube??? Ack!
Apparently there is nothing that cannot happen today. ~ Mark Twain

Probable Endometriosis, in remission from childbirth since 2002.
Hashimoto's DX 2005.
Gluten-Free since 6/2011.
DH (and therefore Celiac) dx from ND
Responsive to iodine withdrawal for DH (see quote, above).

Genetic tests reveal half DQ2, half DQ8 - I'm a weird bird!

#7 IrishHeart

IrishHeart

Warrior Princess

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,550 posts

Posted 29 March 2012 - 10:47 AM

I haven't worked up to making cookies yet (need to find a good dairy free recipe for this). I may need to, and soon. Fave is choc chip.

Here, kiddo. :)
Try these. Get yourself some Enjoy Life chocolate chips or chunks (no dairy) and bring them in to work with you. ;)

Easy peasy recipe.

http://abcnews.go.co...riteria=&page=1

"Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is. The way we cope with it makes the difference." Virginia Satir

"The strongest of all warriors are these two - time and patience." Leo Tolstoy

"If you want to lift yourself up, lift up someone else" Booker T. Washington

“If idiots could fly, the sky would be like an airport.”― Laura Davenport 

"Do or do not. There is no try. "-  Yoda.

"LTES"  Gem 2014

Misdiagnosed for 25+ years; Finally Diagnosed with Celiac  11/01/10.  Double DQ2 genes. This thing tried to kill me. I view Celiac as a fire breathing dragon --and I have run my sword right through his throat.
I. Win. bliss-smiley-emoticon.gif

#8 Melissa Palomo

Melissa Palomo

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 59 posts

Posted 29 March 2012 - 10:47 AM

I hear you - people bring in food all of the time and rarely is it something I can have... I tell myself it's easier to stay thin that way and then giggle when I realize they'll all hate themselves later for eating it. Cruel in my head? TOtally - but it's my survival mechanism. :D

I'm Melissa. I am 28, diagnosed in August 2008. I'm a photographer and a blogger, too. :)

#9 MJ_S

MJ_S

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 174 posts

Posted 29 March 2012 - 11:00 AM

Thanks! I'll try one (or all) of these.

And no, I tried already to move cubes, but we don't have any other available spaces. I'd have to trade, and nobody is willing to move.

If I had a dr's note I'm sure I could, but just being near the food is not making me sick (as far as I know). It's more mental angst and annoyance than anything.

#10 IrishHeart

IrishHeart

Warrior Princess

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,550 posts

Posted 29 March 2012 - 11:06 AM

It's more mental angst and annoyance than anything.

In time, this will pass. I promise!

I feel myself gagging now when I see food like that all clustered together. Blech! I would have been one of the first ones to waddle up and fill a plate with that junk to graze on. As a former chubbo myself, I look at it all now and think....that is just going to make someone's arse fat, clog their arteries and make them gluten-headed. Who needs that? :rolleyes: :lol:

Make your own gluten-free goodies, have some fruit and some chips handy, for moments like these and tell yourself "I am going to live a long and healthy life". :)

You're going to be okay, hon. It's temporary and you have every right to grieve and vent. (hug)

"Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is. The way we cope with it makes the difference." Virginia Satir

"The strongest of all warriors are these two - time and patience." Leo Tolstoy

"If you want to lift yourself up, lift up someone else" Booker T. Washington

“If idiots could fly, the sky would be like an airport.”― Laura Davenport 

"Do or do not. There is no try. "-  Yoda.

"LTES"  Gem 2014

Misdiagnosed for 25+ years; Finally Diagnosed with Celiac  11/01/10.  Double DQ2 genes. This thing tried to kill me. I view Celiac as a fire breathing dragon --and I have run my sword right through his throat.
I. Win. bliss-smiley-emoticon.gif

#11 love2travel

love2travel

Čeznem da se u Hrvatskoj!

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,847 posts

Posted 29 March 2012 - 11:31 AM

Think of how awesome it will be when you take your own homemade cookies to work that taste exactly like gluten cookies or better. My favourite chocolate cookie recipe follows:
http://leitesculinar...ip-cookies.html They are the BEST EVER! People cannot tell they are gluten free whatsoever.
<p>Confirmed celiac disease February 2011 from biopsies. Strictly gluten free March 18 2011.Diagnosed with fibromyalgia April 13 2011.3 herniated discs, myofascial pain syndrome, IT band syndrome, 2 rotator cuff injuries - from an accident Dec. 07 - resulting in chronic pain ever since. Degenerative disc disease.Osteoarthritis in back and hips.Chronic insomnia mostly due to chronic pain.Aspartame free May 2011.

When our lives are squeezed by pressure and pain, what comes out is what is inside.

#12 Monael

Monael

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 91 posts

Posted 30 March 2012 - 08:46 PM

Sometimes I get a craving for something that has gluten. I think it is natural, because the things I miss do taste great. I think that somehow my mind found a way to deal with it, because I really don't get tempted. I don't want to feel sick, and I know what that will bring me. So I just eat something else yummy :) Have a yummy snack handy (I love chocolate so that will always work for me :D )

#13 mommida

mommida

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,937 posts

Posted 31 March 2012 - 07:23 AM

Umm well I just ordered from Lizlovely glutenfree vegan selection. Her chocolate chip cookie tastes like cookie dough batter, so it is not my favorite. Right now there is a 15 % sale on the new gluten free cookie options. The new peanut butter ones are awesome!
You can order a case and freeze them.

I don't have any ties to the company, or get any fininacial compensation from them. The cookies are a great gluten free splurge. The vegan makes them egg and dairy free too for those with more diet restrictions. :D
Michigan

#14 mommida

mommida

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,937 posts

Posted 31 March 2012 - 07:40 AM

The code OMGMARCH2012 is good until the end of (you guessed it) March at www.lizlovely.com
Michigan

#15 Skylark

Skylark

Glutenologist

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,490 posts

Posted 31 March 2012 - 07:52 AM

Thanks! I'll try one (or all) of these.

And no, I tried already to move cubes, but we don't have any other available spaces. I'd have to trade, and nobody is willing to move.

If I had a dr's note I'm sure I could, but just being near the food is not making me sick (as far as I know). It's more mental angst and annoyance than anything.

You need have a relaxed chat with your HR person if this is bothering you all the time. He/she may be able to arrange a cube trade if you can make an argument that the constant annoyance and mild upset is affecting your productivity.

I'd recommend the Betty Crocker gluten-free chocolate cookie mix. It comes out great!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: