22 replies to this topic

#1 love2travel

love2travel

Čeznem da se u Hrvatskoj!

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,823 posts

Posted 30 March 2012 - 12:24 PM

With my constant chronic pain, many cleaning duties are very difficult or downright impossible. Our house is not as clean as it should be. So, I am going to hire a housekeeper to do spring cleaning and then come in each week or alternate weeks. The going rate here is about $25 CDN per hour which seems a bit steep. When I was working in a high level management position five years ago I was making that!

What is the going rate in your area?
<p>Confirmed celiac disease February 2011 from biopsies. Strictly gluten free March 18 2011.Diagnosed with fibromyalgia April 13 2011.3 herniated discs, myofascial pain syndrome, IT band syndrome, 2 rotator cuff injuries - from an accident Dec. 07 - resulting in chronic pain ever since. Degenerative disc disease.Osteoarthritis in back and hips.Chronic insomnia mostly due to chronic pain.Aspartame free May 2011.

When our lives are squeezed by pressure and pain, what comes out is what is inside.

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 Lisa

Lisa

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,799 posts

Posted 30 March 2012 - 12:58 PM

Ten dollars and hour, in North Carolina.
Lisa

Gluten Free - August 15, 2004

"Not all who wander are lost" - JRR Tolkien

#3 love2travel

love2travel

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,823 posts

Posted 30 March 2012 - 01:03 PM

Ten dollars and hour, in North Carolina.

What? How the heck do ours charge 2.5 times that much? One charges $30!!!
<p>Confirmed celiac disease February 2011 from biopsies. Strictly gluten free March 18 2011.Diagnosed with fibromyalgia April 13 2011.3 herniated discs, myofascial pain syndrome, IT band syndrome, 2 rotator cuff injuries - from an accident Dec. 07 - resulting in chronic pain ever since. Degenerative disc disease.Osteoarthritis in back and hips.Chronic insomnia mostly due to chronic pain.Aspartame free May 2011.

When our lives are squeezed by pressure and pain, what comes out is what is inside.

#4 Lisa

Lisa

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,799 posts

Posted 30 March 2012 - 01:36 PM

What? How the heck do ours charge 2.5 times that much? One charges $30!!!

Yes, it's unusually low, but we are somewhat rural, economically challenged and jobs are scarce. :(
Lisa

#5 Darn210

Darn210

Cookies!!

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,729 posts

Posted 30 March 2012 - 01:50 PM

They charge by the job here. We now live in a more affluent community than where we lived 10 years ago (about 10 miles away). We paid about $20/hour 10 years ago and now it would be about $35/hour if we were to have one . . . we don't.
Janet

Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted.

Posted Image

#6 Cathey

Cathey

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 120 posts

Posted 30 March 2012 - 01:52 PM

I had to check the conversion in $ first, we are pennies apart. I personally have never had a cleaning lady that's what god gave me my DH for. We both take it on and yes it's not perfect, as you know Love with my health issues.
We did have a cleaning lady for my in-laws several times before they pasted and I couldn't do it anymore. Just like spring cleanup on the lawn it's $100.00 first time, they bring 2-3 people and do everything, fridge in and out, stove, complete kitchen, bathrooms, bedrooms top to bottom, dust, vacuum, etc. Each week after that was $25 hr 1 person. They seem to get it done in 1 hour for a small house.

Love if it makes you feel better, do it. I'm with you in the daily pain suffering. Like I said do it, you can cut back $ wise somewhere else. You deserve it.
Cathey

#7 love2travel

love2travel

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,823 posts

Posted 30 March 2012 - 02:00 PM

I had to check the conversion in $ first, we are pennies apart. I personally have never had a cleaning lady that's what god gave me my DH for. We both take it on and yes it's not perfect, as you know Love with my health issues.
We did have a cleaning lady for my in-laws several times before they pasted and I couldn't do it anymore. Just like spring cleanup on the lawn it's $100.00 first time, they bring 2-3 people and do everything, fridge in and out, stove, complete kitchen, bathrooms, bedrooms top to bottom, dust, vacuum, etc. Each week after that was $25 hr 1 person. They seem to get it done in 1 hour for a small house.

Love if it makes you feel better, do it. I'm with you in the daily pain suffering. Like I said do it, you can cut back $ wise somewhere else. You deserve it.
Cathey

An unclean house actually stresses me somewhat - I look around and wonder, where do I begin? Daily pain is so hard. I have not had one pain-free day in 4.5 years and it is getting old now. My husband tries to help out but his job is unbelievably stressful and he works 80-hour weeks often. He comes home exhausted.

Thankfully this is not a financial issue as we can afford it - I was just very curious to see how much others pay. We are hoping that the housekeeper could get all done in 2-3 hours per week or even every second week (after spring cleaning is done). We did have a housekeeper a few years ago and loved it but she went and moved. How dare she? :angry:

#8 love2travel

love2travel

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,823 posts

Posted 30 March 2012 - 02:02 PM

They charge by the job here. We now live in a more affluent community than where we lived 10 years ago (about 10 miles away). We paid about $20/hour 10 years ago and now it would be about $35/hour if we were to have one . . . we don't.

Our oil community is extremely wealthy. Perhaps I should get with the times. Thirty five dollars an hour seems like a lot to me but it would be sooooo worth it.

#9 Lisa

Lisa

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,799 posts

Posted 30 March 2012 - 02:06 PM

An unclean house actually stresses me somewhat

Oh, not me! It's high (really high) pollen season with windows wide open. I have taken great pleasure in writing graphite all over my furniture. :P :lol:
Lisa

#10 sora

sora

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 457 posts

Posted 03 April 2012 - 08:58 PM

I used to be in that business and based on what was charged back then $25 an hour is about what the rate would be now. Also prices might be higher up there.
Usually you get a couple people in to do the big clean and then weekly maintenance of basic kitchen, bathroom and floors and dusting.
The weekly is usually about an hour for a smaller place.
You can ask if they will give a flat rate.
Go for it if money is not a problem. I would if I could. :)

Wheat Allergy

Chemical (scent) Allergy

Ah, but I was so much older then, Im younger than that now.

#11 love2travel

love2travel

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,823 posts

Posted 04 April 2012 - 04:53 PM

I used to be in that business and based on what was charged back then $25 an hour is about what the rate would be now. Also prices might be higher up there.
Usually you get a couple people in to do the big clean and then weekly maintenance of basic kitchen, bathroom and floors and dusting.
The weekly is usually about an hour for a smaller place.
You can ask if they will give a flat rate.
Go for it if money is not a problem. I would if I could. :)

Prices generally are quite a bit higher here (including groceries and such, too). Makes me mad that I have to pay US prices for my Amazon books. :angry:

Anyway, I found someone who gave me a flat rate of $60. It took three hours to clean our house (and she said it was cleaner than most already) top and bottom. She is adding in a spring cleaning chores each time she comes until it is finished then she said our house will take between two and two and a half hours to maintain bi-weekly. She said there is no need for her to come weekly as it is in good shape. It is a fairly large house which is ridiculous for just the two of us (most are like that in our town).

Was it ever nice to do my errands and return to a clean house. I love it!

Thanks for your professional opinion. :D

#12 sora

sora

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 457 posts

Posted 05 April 2012 - 05:16 AM

Prices generally are quite a bit higher here (including groceries and such, too). Makes me mad that I have to pay US prices for my Amazon books. :angry:

Anyway, I found someone who gave me a flat rate of $60. It took three hours to clean our house (and she said it was cleaner than most already) top and bottom. She is adding in a spring cleaning chores each time she comes until it is finished then she said our house will take between two and two and a half hours to maintain bi-weekly. She said there is no need for her to come weekly as it is in good shape. It is a fairly large house which is ridiculous for just the two of us (most are like that in our town).

Was it ever nice to do my errands and return to a clean house. I love it!

Thanks for your professional opinion. :D

You're welcome. :)
You got a good deal too!

Wheat Allergy

Chemical (scent) Allergy

Ah, but I was so much older then, Im younger than that now.

#13 love2travel

love2travel

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,823 posts

Posted 06 April 2012 - 09:05 AM

You're welcome. :)
You got a good deal too!

Great. I love deals! I certainly do not wish to take advantage of her, either.

I noticed a couple of minor spills on the kitchen tiles yesterday but I'm able to leave it now! :P She told me she hates it when people clean before she goes to their homes.

#14 missy'smom

missy'smom

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,953 posts

Posted 06 April 2012 - 09:36 AM

Sorry to stray from the topic a bit but

I'm not sure what to think of the fact that housecleaning services fall in the same price range of private ESL/English Tutors... Scratching my head wondering what benefit there is to my degree and 10+ years of experience...and these days so many people don't even want to pay over $10 per hr. I got $13 per hr. when I worked for a private school.
Me: GLUTEN-FREE 7/06, multiple food allergies, T2 DIABETES DX 8/08, LADA-Latent Autoimmune Diabetes in Adults, Who knew food allergies could trigger an autoimmune attack on the pancreas?! 1/11 Re-DX T1 DM, pos. DQ2 Celiac gene test 9/11
Son: ADHD '06,
neg. CELIAC PANEL 5/07
ALLERGY: "positive" blood and skin tests to wheat, which triggers his eczema '08
ENTEROLAB testing: elevated Fecal Anti-tissue Transglutaminase IgA Dec. '08
Gluten-free-Feb. '09
other food allergies

#15 love2travel

love2travel

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,823 posts

Posted 06 April 2012 - 09:43 AM

Sorry to stray from the topic a bit but

I'm not sure what to think of the fact that housecleaning services fall in the same price range of private ESL/English Tutors... Scratching my head wondering what benefit there is to my degree and 10+ years of experience...and these days so many people don't even want to pay over $10 per hr. I got $13 per hr. when I worked for a private school.

Man, I know what you mean! When I heard that the going rate here was $25 and sometimes $30 per hour for one person I cringed. No degree required. My girl has only two years of experience. One of the reasons for my initial post was because it just doesn't seem to make sense. Sure, the work isn't easy, but they make more than my sister who is a specialized teacher with fifteen years of experience.

Supply and demand of course play a role but it hurts when you make comparisons between trades/occupations.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: