22 replies to this topic

#16 JustNana

JustNana

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 113 posts

Posted 10 April 2012 - 03:45 AM

My daughter lives in Marin County Ca. She pays $75.00 a week for about an hour and a half. Sometimes it's one cleaning person, sometimes two. Some days they are in and out in an hour and twenty minutes, sometimes it's two hours.

Of course they have no health care, paid vacation or sick time. There is no union to go to bat for them if they are summarily fired. The good ones are in great demand. The careless ones are quickly terminated.

It's almost pure capitalism. A person's worth is determined by the market there, not by titles and education. As many people in Ca have learned, that $120,000.00 education might not be such a great investment anymore. I know professionals who were used to high salaries and big bonuses who are unemployed or who are stunned to learn their plummer or HVAC person is making more money and working shorter hours.

It's a topsy turvy world.

I'd really like a sous chef. LOL

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#17 JoyfulGF

JoyfulGF

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 65 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 06:10 AM

I was thinking about doing this once a week just to make a little chump change. I don't have to work because my hubs makes plenty and we have a business.
I have a friend who cleans houses in a couple towns over. She also cleans a bank. I think she makes decent money. I haven't asked her how much she makes, but I have thought about it.

She told me about a huge three story house, she was cleaning one of her first weeks there, they had a dyson vacuum that she said she lugged up the stairs to the second floor and then the owner said to her "Oh, hunny you don't have to do that, there's a dyson on each floor."

Lets see, $400 vacuum x 3 floors = $1200 in vacuums, Oley Batman!

I'm in western NY
Married my best friend May '08
Fertility problems since fall of 08
Lots of money spent on test after test from Thyroid problems to PCOS
Started to do my own research and journal what I ate Sept '11
Strictly Gluten free since Dec '11
Highest weight:178
Down to: 155 Yay!
Praying for a little miracle!

#18 love2travel

love2travel

Čeznem da se u Hrvatskoj!

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,847 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 08:08 AM

I was thinking about doing this once a week just to make a little chump change. I don't have to work because my hubs makes plenty and we have a business.
I have a friend who cleans houses in a couple towns over. She also cleans a bank. I think she makes decent money. I haven't asked her how much she makes, but I have thought about it.

She told me about a huge three story house, she was cleaning one of her first weeks there, they had a dyson vacuum that she said she lugged up the stairs to the second floor and then the owner said to her "Oh, hunny you don't have to do that, there's a dyson on each floor."

Lets see, $400 vacuum x 3 floors = $1200 in vacuums, Oley Batman!

I'm in western NY

It is so nice not to have to work. I don't work by choice, too. I teach cooking classes and test recipes but that is not work to me! :P

There is a house close by that has an elevator - that would solve potential vacuum problems! However, it is a mansion (actually quite ugly) so they would have central vac everywhere I'd imagine.
<p>Confirmed celiac disease February 2011 from biopsies. Strictly gluten free March 18 2011.Diagnosed with fibromyalgia April 13 2011.3 herniated discs, myofascial pain syndrome, IT band syndrome, 2 rotator cuff injuries - from an accident Dec. 07 - resulting in chronic pain ever since. Degenerative disc disease.Osteoarthritis in back and hips.Chronic insomnia mostly due to chronic pain.Aspartame free May 2011.

When our lives are squeezed by pressure and pain, what comes out is what is inside.

#19 JoyfulGF

JoyfulGF

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 65 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 08:15 AM

It is so nice not to have to work. I don't work by choice, too. I teach cooking classes and test recipes but that is not work to me! :P

There is a house close by that has an elevator - that would solve potential vacuum problems! However, it is a mansion (actually quite ugly) so they would have central vac everywhere I'd imagine.

I would love to teach a cooking class! Wow, that would be fun.

I wouldn't want to live or even clean a mansion, I would get lost in it and I would feel so lonely!

My friend charges $15/hr

Like I said, we live in Western NY, jobs are kinda scarce and the poverty level is kinda high around here.

#20 love2travel

love2travel

Čeznem da se u Hrvatskoj!

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,847 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 09:29 AM

I would love to teach a cooking class! Wow, that would be fun.

I wouldn't want to live or even clean a mansion, I would get lost in it and I would feel so lonely!

My friend charges $15/hr

Like I said, we live in Western NY, jobs are kinda scarce and the poverty level is kinda high around here.

It IS a lot of fun! I limit my classes to 10 people as they are very hands on.

I would not want to live in a mansion, either. I just do not like what they often represent - ostentation.

I live in oil country in Alberta where there are tons of very, very wealthy people. To clean some of those houses would take several people quite awhile. Ours takes only one person 2.5-3 hours every other week which is just fine with me. :)
<p>Confirmed celiac disease February 2011 from biopsies. Strictly gluten free March 18 2011.Diagnosed with fibromyalgia April 13 2011.3 herniated discs, myofascial pain syndrome, IT band syndrome, 2 rotator cuff injuries - from an accident Dec. 07 - resulting in chronic pain ever since. Degenerative disc disease.Osteoarthritis in back and hips.Chronic insomnia mostly due to chronic pain.Aspartame free May 2011.

When our lives are squeezed by pressure and pain, what comes out is what is inside.

#21 JoyfulGF

JoyfulGF

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 65 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 09:58 AM

It IS a lot of fun! I limit my classes to 10 people as they are very hands on.

I would not want to live in a mansion, either. I just do not like what they often represent - ostentation.

I live in oil country in Alberta where there are tons of very, very wealthy people. To clean some of those houses would take several people quite awhile. Ours takes only one person 2.5-3 hours every other week which is just fine with me. :)

What is ostentation? All I can think of is Great Expectations with Miss Havisham in that massive house.

Oh, oil country. We often visit Williamsport PA, which is a booming city anyway, only booming even more because of oil. Our town used to thrive because of oil wells decades ago. If they ever make it back up this way, I can't even imagine what my little town is going to turn into. I like it the way it is!

#22 Stubborn red head

Stubborn red head

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 72 posts

Posted 09 May 2012 - 06:45 PM

I have a couple friends my age with small children, that dont have what I have, I dont have much but they have far less. I usually invite them over to help me clean I pay them 40 bucks and we have fun at it. I only pay so that I can help them out without them feeling like they are taking handouts..

#23 BabsV

BabsV

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 390 posts

Posted 10 May 2012 - 04:06 AM

Prices generally are quite a bit higher here (including groceries and such, too). Makes me mad that I have to pay US prices for my Amazon books. :angry:

Not related to housekeeping but have you checked out the Book Depository? Last time I checked they had free shipping to Canada (plus lots of other places), and I've been able to find several of my favorite British authors there cheaper/sooner than from any place in the US. You have options for payment currency but I don't think Canadian dollar is one of them...

I've used them a lot while we've been living in Poland because they have free shipping to EU countries and the books (even at UK prices) are cheaper than the imported English-language books you can find in the shops here. Plus much wider selection!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: