This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Housekeepers - How Much Do You Pay?

love2travel

love2travel Mentor

With my constant chronic pain, many cleaning duties are very difficult or downright impossible. Our house is not as clean as it should be. So, I am going to hire a housekeeper to do spring cleaning and then come in each week or alternate weeks. The going rate here is about $25 CDN per hour which seems a bit steep. When I was working in a high level management position five years ago I was making that!

What is the going rate in your area?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Lisa Mentor

Ten dollars and hour, in North Carolina.

love2travel Mentor

Ten dollars and hour, in North Carolina.

What? How the heck do ours charge 2.5 times that much? One charges $30!!!

Lisa Mentor

What? How the heck do ours charge 2.5 times that much? One charges $30!!!

Yes, it's unusually low, but we are somewhat rural, economically challenged and jobs are scarce. :(

Darn210 Enthusiast

They charge by the job here. We now live in a more affluent community than where we lived 10 years ago (about 10 miles away). We paid about $20/hour 10 years ago and now it would be about $35/hour if we were to have one . . . we don't.

Cathey Apprentice

I had to check the conversion in $ first, we are pennies apart. I personally have never had a cleaning lady that's what god gave me my DH for. We both take it on and yes it's not perfect, as you know Love with my health issues.

We did have a cleaning lady for my in-laws several times before they pasted and I couldn't do it anymore. Just like spring cleanup on the lawn it's $100.00 first time, they bring 2-3 people and do everything, fridge in and out, stove, complete kitchen, bathrooms, bedrooms top to bottom, dust, vacuum, etc. Each week after that was $25 hr 1 person. They seem to get it done in 1 hour for a small house.

Love if it makes you feel better, do it. I'm with you in the daily pain suffering. Like I said do it, you can cut back $ wise somewhere else. You deserve it.

Cathey

love2travel Mentor

I had to check the conversion in $ first, we are pennies apart. I personally have never had a cleaning lady that's what god gave me my DH for. We both take it on and yes it's not perfect, as you know Love with my health issues.

We did have a cleaning lady for my in-laws several times before they pasted and I couldn't do it anymore. Just like spring cleanup on the lawn it's $100.00 first time, they bring 2-3 people and do everything, fridge in and out, stove, complete kitchen, bathrooms, bedrooms top to bottom, dust, vacuum, etc. Each week after that was $25 hr 1 person. They seem to get it done in 1 hour for a small house.

Love if it makes you feel better, do it. I'm with you in the daily pain suffering. Like I said do it, you can cut back $ wise somewhere else. You deserve it.

Cathey

An unclean house actually stresses me somewhat - I look around and wonder, where do I begin? Daily pain is so hard. I have not had one pain-free day in 4.5 years and it is getting old now. My husband tries to help out but his job is unbelievably stressful and he works 80-hour weeks often. He comes home exhausted.

Thankfully this is not a financial issue as we can afford it - I was just very curious to see how much others pay. We are hoping that the housekeeper could get all done in 2-3 hours per week or even every second week (after spring cleaning is done). We did have a housekeeper a few years ago and loved it but she went and moved. How dare she? :angry:

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

love2travel Mentor

They charge by the job here. We now live in a more affluent community than where we lived 10 years ago (about 10 miles away). We paid about $20/hour 10 years ago and now it would be about $35/hour if we were to have one . . . we don't.

Our oil community is extremely wealthy. Perhaps I should get with the times. Thirty five dollars an hour seems like a lot to me but it would be sooooo worth it.

Lisa Mentor

An unclean house actually stresses me somewhat

Oh, not me! It's high (really high) pollen season with windows wide open. I have taken great pleasure in writing graphite all over my furniture. :P:lol:

sora Community Regular

I used to be in that business and based on what was charged back then $25 an hour is about what the rate would be now. Also prices might be higher up there.

Usually you get a couple people in to do the big clean and then weekly maintenance of basic kitchen, bathroom and floors and dusting.

The weekly is usually about an hour for a smaller place.

You can ask if they will give a flat rate.

Go for it if money is not a problem. I would if I could. :)

love2travel Mentor

I used to be in that business and based on what was charged back then $25 an hour is about what the rate would be now. Also prices might be higher up there.

Usually you get a couple people in to do the big clean and then weekly maintenance of basic kitchen, bathroom and floors and dusting.

The weekly is usually about an hour for a smaller place.

You can ask if they will give a flat rate.

Go for it if money is not a problem. I would if I could. :)

Prices generally are quite a bit higher here (including groceries and such, too). Makes me mad that I have to pay US prices for my Amazon books. :angry:

Anyway, I found someone who gave me a flat rate of $60. It took three hours to clean our house (and she said it was cleaner than most already) top and bottom. She is adding in a spring cleaning chores each time she comes until it is finished then she said our house will take between two and two and a half hours to maintain bi-weekly. She said there is no need for her to come weekly as it is in good shape. It is a fairly large house which is ridiculous for just the two of us (most are like that in our town).

Was it ever nice to do my errands and return to a clean house. I love it!

Thanks for your professional opinion. :D

sora Community Regular

Prices generally are quite a bit higher here (including groceries and such, too). Makes me mad that I have to pay US prices for my Amazon books. :angry:

Anyway, I found someone who gave me a flat rate of $60. It took three hours to clean our house (and she said it was cleaner than most already) top and bottom. She is adding in a spring cleaning chores each time she comes until it is finished then she said our house will take between two and two and a half hours to maintain bi-weekly. She said there is no need for her to come weekly as it is in good shape. It is a fairly large house which is ridiculous for just the two of us (most are like that in our town).

Was it ever nice to do my errands and return to a clean house. I love it!

Thanks for your professional opinion. :D

You're welcome. :)

You got a good deal too!

love2travel Mentor

You're welcome. :)

You got a good deal too!

Great. I love deals! I certainly do not wish to take advantage of her, either.

I noticed a couple of minor spills on the kitchen tiles yesterday but I'm able to leave it now! :P She told me she hates it when people clean before she goes to their homes.

missy'smom Collaborator

Sorry to stray from the topic a bit but

I'm not sure what to think of the fact that housecleaning services fall in the same price range of private ESL/English Tutors... Scratching my head wondering what benefit there is to my degree and 10+ years of experience...and these days so many people don't even want to pay over $10 per hr. I got $13 per hr. when I worked for a private school.

love2travel Mentor

Sorry to stray from the topic a bit but

I'm not sure what to think of the fact that housecleaning services fall in the same price range of private ESL/English Tutors... Scratching my head wondering what benefit there is to my degree and 10+ years of experience...and these days so many people don't even want to pay over $10 per hr. I got $13 per hr. when I worked for a private school.

Man, I know what you mean! When I heard that the going rate here was $25 and sometimes $30 per hour for one person I cringed. No degree required. My girl has only two years of experience. One of the reasons for my initial post was because it just doesn't seem to make sense. Sure, the work isn't easy, but they make more than my sister who is a specialized teacher with fifteen years of experience.

Supply and demand of course play a role but it hurts when you make comparisons between trades/occupations.

JustNana Apprentice

My daughter lives in Marin County Ca. She pays $75.00 a week for about an hour and a half. Sometimes it's one cleaning person, sometimes two. Some days they are in and out in an hour and twenty minutes, sometimes it's two hours.

Of course they have no health care, paid vacation or sick time. There is no union to go to bat for them if they are summarily fired. The good ones are in great demand. The careless ones are quickly terminated.

It's almost pure capitalism. A person's worth is determined by the market there, not by titles and education. As many people in Ca have learned, that $120,000.00 education might not be such a great investment anymore. I know professionals who were used to high salaries and big bonuses who are unemployed or who are stunned to learn their plummer or HVAC person is making more money and working shorter hours.

It's a topsy turvy world.

I'd really like a sous chef. LOL

• 2 weeks later...
JoyfulGF Apprentice

I was thinking about doing this once a week just to make a little chump change. I don't have to work because my hubs makes plenty and we have a business.

I have a friend who cleans houses in a couple towns over. She also cleans a bank. I think she makes decent money. I haven't asked her how much she makes, but I have thought about it.

She told me about a huge three story house, she was cleaning one of her first weeks there, they had a dyson vacuum that she said she lugged up the stairs to the second floor and then the owner said to her "Oh, hunny you don't have to do that, there's a dyson on each floor."

Lets see, $400 vacuum x 3 floors = $1200 in vacuums, Oley Batman!

I'm in western NY

love2travel Mentor

I was thinking about doing this once a week just to make a little chump change. I don't have to work because my hubs makes plenty and we have a business.

I have a friend who cleans houses in a couple towns over. She also cleans a bank. I think she makes decent money. I haven't asked her how much she makes, but I have thought about it.

She told me about a huge three story house, she was cleaning one of her first weeks there, they had a dyson vacuum that she said she lugged up the stairs to the second floor and then the owner said to her "Oh, hunny you don't have to do that, there's a dyson on each floor."

Lets see, $400 vacuum x 3 floors = $1200 in vacuums, Oley Batman!

I'm in western NY

It is so nice not to have to work. I don't work by choice, too. I teach cooking classes and test recipes but that is not work to me! :P

There is a house close by that has an elevator - that would solve potential vacuum problems! However, it is a mansion (actually quite ugly) so they would have central vac everywhere I'd imagine.

JoyfulGF Apprentice

It is so nice not to have to work. I don't work by choice, too. I teach cooking classes and test recipes but that is not work to me! :P

There is a house close by that has an elevator - that would solve potential vacuum problems! However, it is a mansion (actually quite ugly) so they would have central vac everywhere I'd imagine.

I would love to teach a cooking class! Wow, that would be fun.

I wouldn't want to live or even clean a mansion, I would get lost in it and I would feel so lonely!

My friend charges $15/hr

Like I said, we live in Western NY, jobs are kinda scarce and the poverty level is kinda high around here.

love2travel Mentor

I would love to teach a cooking class! Wow, that would be fun.

I wouldn't want to live or even clean a mansion, I would get lost in it and I would feel so lonely!

My friend charges $15/hr

Like I said, we live in Western NY, jobs are kinda scarce and the poverty level is kinda high around here.

It IS a lot of fun! I limit my classes to 10 people as they are very hands on.

I would not want to live in a mansion, either. I just do not like what they often represent - ostentation.

I live in oil country in Alberta where there are tons of very, very wealthy people. To clean some of those houses would take several people quite awhile. Ours takes only one person 2.5-3 hours every other week which is just fine with me. :)

JoyfulGF Apprentice

It IS a lot of fun! I limit my classes to 10 people as they are very hands on.

I would not want to live in a mansion, either. I just do not like what they often represent - ostentation.

I live in oil country in Alberta where there are tons of very, very wealthy people. To clean some of those houses would take several people quite awhile. Ours takes only one person 2.5-3 hours every other week which is just fine with me. :)

What is ostentation? All I can think of is Great Expectations with Miss Havisham in that massive house.

Oh, oil country. We often visit Williamsport PA, which is a booming city anyway, only booming even more because of oil. Our town used to thrive because of oil wells decades ago. If they ever make it back up this way, I can't even imagine what my little town is going to turn into. I like it the way it is!

• 3 weeks later...
Stubborn red head Apprentice

I have a couple friends my age with small children, that dont have what I have, I dont have much but they have far less. I usually invite them over to help me clean I pay them 40 bucks and we have fun at it. I only pay so that I can help them out without them feeling like they are taking handouts..

BabsV Enthusiast

Not related to housekeeping but have you checked out the Book Depository? Last time I checked they had free shipping to Canada (plus lots of other places), and I've been able to find several of my favorite British authors there cheaper/sooner than from any place in the US. You have options for payment currency but I don't think Canadian dollar is one of them...

I've used them a lot while we've been living in Poland because they have free shipping to EU countries and the books (even at UK prices) are cheaper than the imported English-language books you can find in the shops here. Plus much wider selection!

Archived