5 replies to this topic

#1 captaincrab55

captaincrab55

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 329 posts

Posted 30 March 2012 - 05:44 PM

Just wondering if anyone out there got a Tattoo after being diagnosed with DH ?? If so, did you have any issues?? I recently gave some thought to Medic Alert Tattoos, in the event that I ever needed to wear one... My job and jewelry just don't mix.. My fingers never did get along with rings and my wife would like to see me wearing a Tattoo Wedding Band.. I'm not sure if that would happen, but I learned long ago to never say never..
I'm a New Man Without GLUTEN!

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 squirmingitch

squirmingitch

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,368 posts

Posted 30 March 2012 - 05:47 PM

I wouldn't recommend it. DH tends to flare in places where you get wounded, scratched, burned..... You get the picture. If it were me --- nuh uh!

Self diagnosed dh Sept. 2011~~~ confirmed dx July 18, 2012
Gluten free Dec. 2011
Soy free Dec. 2011
Hubs self diagnosed dh March 30, 2012
Hubs gluten free March 30, 2012

Summer 2013 We both have added back a little soy which is near unavoidable & we are doing okay with that small amount.

#3 pricklypear1971

pricklypear1971

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,684 posts

Posted 30 March 2012 - 06:22 PM

I wouldn't recommend it. DH tends to flare in places where you get wounded, scratched, burned..... You get the picture. If it were me --- nuh uh!

Tattoos, unfortunately, are one of those things characterized as an autoimmune trigger.

Pretty, but no way I'd get one. I'd probably sprout feathers and grow a third boob or something.
Apparently there is nothing that cannot happen today. ~ Mark Twain

Probable Endometriosis, in remission from childbirth since 2002.
Hashimoto's DX 2005.
Gluten-Free since 6/2011.
DH (and therefore Celiac) dx from ND
Responsive to iodine withdrawal for DH (see quote, above).

Genetic tests reveal half DQ2, half DQ8 - I'm a weird bird!

#4 Hopeful1950

Hopeful1950

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 119 posts

Posted 30 March 2012 - 08:24 PM

I have one tatoo that I had for many many years before my DH blossomed. One and only one that I loved very much and never regretted getting.

Well, when I broke out on my upper back I got a couple of DH spots on the tattoo so I had my husband carefully cover it and I never scratched them even once no matter how bad they itched. It made no difference. They stayed there for at least three months and when they finally healed they had taken the ink out of my tatoo! So here are my thoughts:

1.) Yes, the mere act of getting a tattoo could cause a lovely patch of itching oozing blisters that could possibly result in a strange looking tattoo when all is said and done.

2.) Good tattoo art is expensive and eventually the DH will go there (it seems to go everywhere else)and ruin your investment.

Then there is the autoimmune connection. Scary. Because of that, I won't even get mine repaired as much as I love it.

#5 ravenwoodglass

ravenwoodglass

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,790 posts

Posted 31 March 2012 - 01:47 PM

I have multiple tatoos and have never had an issue with them even before I became gluten free.
I had minor DH outbreaks after going gluten free but those stopped after I eliminated iodized salt a couple years into the diet. I haven't had an outbreak now in years.
Courage does not always roar, sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying
"I will try again tommorrow" (Mary Anne Radmacher)

celiac 49 years - Misdiagnosed for 45
Blood tested and repeatedly negative
Diagnosed by Allergist with elimination diet and diagnosis confirmed by GI in 2002
Misdiagnoses for 15 years were IBS-D, ataxia, migraines, anxiety, depression, fibromyalgia, parathesias, arthritis, livedo reticularis, hairloss, premature menopause, osteoporosis, kidney damage, diverticulosis, prediabetes and ulcers, dermatitis herpeformis
All bold resoved or went into remission with proper diagnosis of Celiac November 2002
Some residual nerve damage remains as of 2006- this has continued to resolve after eliminating soy in 2007

Mother died of celiac related cancer at 56
Twin brother died as a result of autoimmune liver destruction at age 15

Children 2 with Ulcers, GERD, Depression, , 1 with DH, 1 with severe growth stunting (male adult 5 feet)both finally diagnosed Celiac through blood testing and 1 with endo 6 months after Mom

Positive to Soy and Casien also Aug 2007

Gluten Sensitivity Gene Test Aug 2007
HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 1 0303

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 2 0303

Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 3,3 (Subtype 9,9)

#6 captaincrab55

captaincrab55

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 329 posts

Posted 31 March 2012 - 02:12 PM

I have multiple tatoos and have never had an issue with them even before I became gluten free.
I had minor DH outbreaks after going gluten free but those stopped after I eliminated iodized salt a couple years into the diet. I haven't had an outbreak now in years.

Raven, Did you get any Tattoos after being diagnosed???
I'm a New Man Without GLUTEN!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: