Follow Us:  Twitter Facebook RSS Feed            

arrowShare this page:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

Ads by Google:
Celiac.com Sponsor:                                    

Photo
- - - - -

Celiac And Edema (In So Much Discomfort!)

• Please log in to reply

11 replies to this topic

#1 Emilem

Emilem

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 31 March 2012 - 07:07 PM

To give a brief overview:

I first went to see my doctor in December 2011 because I was extremely fatigued (always falling asleep) and felt "swollen".
He couldn't explain the swelling but ran some blood tests and came to find out I am extremely anemic (iron score was 13) and low in VItamin D. I also tested positive for mono at this time.

Four months later and I am still not feeling great and the swelling has gotten worse. It is terrible in my legs and arms and face. I feel like I look 20 pounds heavier than I actually am. I have watched my weight shoot from about 120 lbs to 135lbs since this problem started (I am 5"6'). It sometimes makes my joints ache as well as the rest of my body just generally feeling heavy and making me fatigued.

My doctor told me just two weeks ago that some of my blood tests tested positive for Celiac disease but that they have to biopsy my stomach to confirm. I am going in for endoscopy in a few weeks....I have been trying to follow a STRICT gluten free diet the past two weeks (also limiting sugar to try and ease the water retention)

My question to you all, is celiac's linked to edema? Do any of you experience this problem? Did it resolve when you followed a gluten free diet and if so how long after did you start noticing a change?

I am coming to my witts end with all this discomfort and seeking relief! I hope I'll find it with this diet....any insight is greatly appreciated!

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 pricklypear1971

pricklypear1971

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,684 posts

Posted 31 March 2012 - 07:19 PM

I had an autoimmune flare not long ago and I think I gained about 10 lbs. of water. Then, poof, it went away.

Yes, one of the hallmarks of Celiac and Hashimotos is swelling. I am sure it occurs with the others, too.
Apparently there is nothing that cannot happen today. ~ Mark Twain

Probable Endometriosis, in remission from childbirth since 2002.
Hashimoto's DX 2005.
Gluten-Free since 6/2011.
DH (and therefore Celiac) dx from ND
Responsive to iodine withdrawal for DH (see quote, above).

Genetic tests reveal half DQ2, half DQ8 - I'm a weird bird!

#3 Emilem

Emilem

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 31 March 2012 - 07:42 PM

I had an autoimmune flare not long ago and I think I gained about 10 lbs. of water. Then, poof, it went away.

Yes, one of the hallmarks of Celiac and Hashimotos is swelling. I am sure it occurs with the others, too.

When you say autoimmune flare are you referring to a celiac-episode?

#4 pricklypear1971

pricklypear1971

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,684 posts

Posted 31 March 2012 - 07:54 PM

Well, for me it was a Hashimotos thyroid and Celiac flare....
Apparently there is nothing that cannot happen today. ~ Mark Twain

Probable Endometriosis, in remission from childbirth since 2002.
Hashimoto's DX 2005.
Gluten-Free since 6/2011.
DH (and therefore Celiac) dx from ND
Responsive to iodine withdrawal for DH (see quote, above).

Genetic tests reveal half DQ2, half DQ8 - I'm a weird bird!

#5 Ninja

Ninja

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 338 posts

Posted 31 March 2012 - 08:30 PM

Hey Emilem

Make sure you go back on gluten for the endoscopy/biopsy! Going off of it for too long prior to your biopsy would give you a negative result as the biopsy relies on the presence of antibodies (which will only be there if you have been ingesting gluten).

Good luck!

~Laura

Gluten Free 2/12 

Let the soul speak with the silent articulation of a face

~Rumi

#6 ravenwoodglass

ravenwoodglass

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,767 posts

Posted 01 April 2012 - 03:20 AM

If you have had positive blood tests you need the diet BUT you shouldn't have gone gluten free until after the endo is done as that will cause a false negative. You can go gluten free for life the day of the biopsy.
Celiac can cause edema. In my case it was because celiac was attacking my kidneys but that isn't the only reason as far as I know. In my case the edema resolved within a month or so very strictly gluten free.
Use the time before you can go gluten free to learn as much as you can about the lifestyle as it does involve more than just watching what you eat. Precautions need to be taken in the way food is prepared also. Ask as many questions as you need to while you wait for the endo.
Courage does not always roar, sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying
"I will try again tommorrow" (Mary Anne Radmacher)

celiac 49 years - Misdiagnosed for 45
Blood tested and repeatedly negative
Diagnosed by Allergist with elimination diet and diagnosis confirmed by GI in 2002
Misdiagnoses for 15 years were IBS-D, ataxia, migraines, anxiety, depression, fibromyalgia, parathesias, arthritis, livedo reticularis, hairloss, premature menopause, osteoporosis, kidney damage, diverticulosis, prediabetes and ulcers, dermatitis herpeformis
All bold resoved or went into remission with proper diagnosis of Celiac November 2002
Some residual nerve damage remains as of 2006- this has continued to resolve after eliminating soy in 2007

Mother died of celiac related cancer at 56
Twin brother died as a result of autoimmune liver destruction at age 15

Children 2 with Ulcers, GERD, Depression, , 1 with DH, 1 with severe growth stunting (male adult 5 feet)both finally diagnosed Celiac through blood testing and 1 with endo 6 months after Mom

Positive to Soy and Casien also Aug 2007

Gluten Sensitivity Gene Test Aug 2007
HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 1 0303

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 2 0303

Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 3,3 (Subtype 9,9)

#7 Emilem

Emilem

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 01 April 2012 - 01:02 PM

If you have had positive blood tests you need the diet BUT you shouldn't have gone gluten free until after the endo is done as that will cause a false negative. You can go gluten free for life the day of the biopsy.
Celiac can cause edema. In my case it was because celiac was attacking my kidneys but that isn't the only reason as far as I know. In my case the edema resolved within a month or so very strictly gluten free.
Use the time before you can go gluten free to learn as much as you can about the lifestyle as it does involve more than just watching what you eat. Precautions need to be taken in the way food is prepared also. Ask as many questions as you need to while you wait for the endo.

Thank you so much for your reply. I was curious about kidney damage because before the celiac blood test my doc ran some kidney function tests and a urynalysis but everything seemed normal. Is it possible that the celiac could be affecting my kidneys even though the tests showed nothing abnormal? It is giving me hope that you say within a months time you started to see the edema subside..I obviously understand nothing miraculous is going to happen overnight...I just need to be patient. Thanks so much for your insight.

#8 GFinDC

GFinDC

A little farting never hurt anybody... :-).

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,147 posts

Posted 01 April 2012 - 04:17 PM

I had swelling in my ankles and feet for many years. It varied depending on what I ate sometimes it was worse and sometimes better. The biggest thing that improved it for me was stopping all grapes. Of course I am gluten-free also. But grapes seemed to be causing a basic swelling problem that other foods just made a little worse. You may have a similar problem with some other food, or may not.
Proverbs 25:16 "Hast thou found honey? eat so much as is sufficient for thee, lest thou be filled therewith, and vomit it."
Job 30:27 My bowels boiled, and rested not: the days of affliction prevented me.
Thyroid cyst and nodules, Lactose / casein intolerant. Diet positive, gene test pos, symptoms confirmed by Dr-head. My current bad list is: gluten, dairy, sulfites, coffee (the devil's brew), tea, Bug's Bunnies carrots, garbanzo beans of pain, soy- no joy, terrible turnips, tomatoes, peppers, potatoes, and hard work. have a good day! :-) Paul

#9 Takala

Takala

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,555 posts

Posted 01 April 2012 - 04:51 PM

Edema is one of my ongoing symptoms when I get cross contaminated. It also occurs when I eat certain processed foods with preservatives that are "supposed" to be gluten free, but are not actually tested and certified for "x" parts per million gluten by the manufacturer, so there is no way of knowing if the item is actually mildly cross contaminated or if I am reacting to something else in it, or a combination of both. The edema has shown up enough times from a potential gluten situation (and in the past, before I was gluten free) that I know it is at least partially a bona fide gluten reaction. One example is that I can eat a fresh version of a food item, but may then swell up in my ankles/feet from the same food that is made into a flour and then used in a manufactured food item.

I have had some real doo- whop ankle and foot swelling reactions, so in the past year, getting tired of it, and noticing it always happened after eating certain things, I have further eliminated or changed brands of more foods that provoke it, no matter what the manufacturer claims on the label. I am getting more sensitive to cross contamination as the years go by gluten free, so this boisters my suspicions that I may fall into the category of an actual, undiagnosed celiac trending towards sensitive instead of the "gluten intolerant." D*mn.

The celiac auto immune reaction could be affecting your kidneys because they are tasked with filtering your blood and trying to keep your mineral levels on an even keel, so they may be getting damaged from pulling out too much calcium. (because your bones are being robbed to make up the deficit from the gut damage not letting you use the calcium you do eat.) At my worst I always had a lot of problems with infections and protein and calcium crystals in the urine, this resolved with a gluten free diet.

#10 Carebear

Carebear

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 47 posts

Posted 19 May 2012 - 10:59 PM

I absolutely get edema, EVERY single time I'm glutened. It's awful - in fact, I just got cc'd and I have it right now. It can take 10 days to 3 weeks after a gluten exposure for it to go away. I literally gain 8-12lbs (I've weighed) in 12ish hours. But it goes away completely. I have a separate set of clothing for when I get glutened (not kidding, I'm a size 4 normally and 8 when glutened). I actually thought I was gaining weight gradually as a "coming of age thing", went gluten free, and 10 days later I was back to my size in high school. And it wasn't because I wasn't eating, I pigged out because I actually felt good enough to eat!

I hope you find your answers. It's amazing what food can do to our bodies.

#11 Matthewm

Matthewm

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 05 September 2014 - 06:01 PM

Edema in celiac people can be almost always put down to protein malabsorption. Since we have a hard time digesting and absorbing protein, our bodies will retain water. This is a side effect of protein deficiency, and thus, of celiac disease.

To combat this, try incorporating digestive enzymes to break down protein and diuretic foods like garlic, celery, and dandelion tea (or Dandy Blend) after an exposure. Also, don't stand or sit for too long. Try to lay down and elevate your feet. Lastly, closely minute your water intake. Edema can become harmful quickly.

#12 cyclinglady

cyclinglady

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,772 posts

Posted 05 September 2014 - 07:30 PM

Hey, Matthew!

Welcome to the forum. Some of these members not been on for a while, but I am sure there are some current members suffering from edema.
Non-functioning Gall bladder Removal Surgery 2005
Diagnosed via Blood Test and Endoscopy: March 2013
Hashimoto's Thyroiditis -- Stable 2014
Anemia -- Resolved
Fractures (vertebrae): June 2013
Osteopenia/osteoporosis -- June 2013
Allergies and Food Intolerances
Diabetes -- January 2014

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: