Get email alerts Get Celiac.com E-mail Alerts  

Celiac.com Sponsor:
Celiac.com Sponsor:

Ads by Google:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

Anybody Heard Anything About This?

5 posts in this topic

This came up on another site, and I thought it deserved to come here, too. :-)

http://www.kashrut.com/Passover/PAlerts/?alert=P0293

The relevant section:

"...Most of the quinoa comes from Peru and Bolivia and has been grown in areas where other (problematic for Pesach) grains were generally not grown. However, as the popularity of quinoa has risen, this is no longer the absolute case. This was confirmed this year by a Star-K mashgiach who visited Bolivia and found that barley does indeed grow in those areas. It was also recently discovered that some farmers cover their quinoa with barley and/or oats to keep the birds from eating the quinoa while it dries. Finally, there is a concern that the sacks used to transfer the quinoa may have been previously used to hold barley or oats..."

This was totally news to me. However, this isn't from a farming source but is instead a Pesach alert from the Rabbinical Council. They've had good information for me before, but I'm wondering if anyone heard anything about this as a potential issue? Any trouble with your quinoa, or has it been doing well for you?

Ads by Google:

This came up on another site, and I thought it deserved to come here, too. :-)

http://www.kashrut.com/Passover/PAlerts/?alert=P0293

The relevant section:

"...Most of the quinoa comes from Peru and Bolivia and has been grown in areas where other (problematic for Pesach) grains were generally not grown. However, as the popularity of quinoa has risen, this is no longer the absolute case. This was confirmed this year by a Star-K mashgiach who visited Bolivia and found that barley does indeed grow in those areas. It was also recently discovered that some farmers cover their quinoa with barley and/or oats to keep the birds from eating the quinoa while it dries. Finally, there is a concern that the sacks used to transfer the quinoa may have been previously used to hold barley or oats..."

This was totally news to me. However, this isn't from a farming source but is instead a Pesach alert from the Rabbinical Council. They've had good information for me before, but I'm wondering if anyone heard anything about this as a potential issue? Any trouble with your quinoa, or has it been doing well for you?

Mine is fine so far and I am pretty sensitive. I think I saw this on the forum somewhere already?

I hope it stays that way, it my go to when all else bothers me.

I bought a box of Quinona without reading carefully....

right there in ingredients - MAY contain wheat

that's enough for me!

I bought a box of Quinona without reading carefully....

right there in ingredients - MAY contain wheat

that's enough for me!

Would you please post what brand of Quinoa that is please so that people can watch for it?