Get email alerts Get Celiac.com E-mail Alerts  

Celiac.com Sponsor:
Celiac.com Sponsor:

Ads by Google:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

Graduation

12 posts in this topic

I am graduating from my MS program at the end of the month. I am trying to figure out what I want to. For a lot of complicated reasons I'm not sure if I am going to go to the actual ceremony. I have a lot of mixed feelings about graduation. This is the first major milestone for me since I was diagnosed(I was literally diagnosed two months before moving for graduate school). If I do end up celebrating with friends I know it will center around food. I know I shouldn't care if we go out to eat and I have to bring my own food to make sure I don't get sick. I'm so angry that this makes it so much harder. I hate food. I hate having to deal with it. I don't want to be an inconvenience to my friends. As there are two major graduations in my area the weekend I graduate, there wont really be any "non peak" dining hours. I definitely don't have the space or money to invite people over to my (very small) apartment to eat. I don't know what to do. I know we say on the board that celebrations (and social occasions) don't have to center around food, but that isn't really realistic in the society we live in. I want to be able to enjoy without worrying about what I am eating and be able to enjoy my food. I hate my life. I've always been a picky eater, not really cared about what was served (I could always get by on salad at dinners and such). But I was always able to eat something. And if I was going out somewhere for something for me, ie celebrating an accomplishment, there were enough places where I could find food I liked. So it was still special. Now I just feel bitter about food. Whereas before at least I had food I liked (even if it was somewhat limited), now I just want to be able to go back to enjoying food. Instead of having to plan and think about every single thing. I just want to be able to enjoy life and being social without planning everything around my dietary needs.

Ads by Google:

Congratulations! Is there anywhere that serves gluten-free food? It sounds like you will need to make reservations no matter what if the area is that crowded. Take the initiative and make reservations for yourself and your friends somewhere you can eat. They will be glad someone is planning ahead and making reservations at all!

Well, it's YOUR graduation, so you can do with it whatever you want, including celebrating it in a non traditional manner, if you wish. Perhaps instead of a restaurant meal being the focus of a get - together, you could do something else that was still fun, like a trip to go sports, shopping, movies, sightseeing, etc.

Wonderful ideas Takala. You also could wait a week or so and go out when the restaurants are not so busy. With the weather getting warmer you might want to think about a picnic in a park with everyone BYO food.

Congratulations and enjoy your celebration what ever you do.

Googles, First off, congrats on your BIG Milestone! Yes, these big events in our lives makes us celiac people a bit crazy.. Maybe a bit insecure ...ticked off , for sure.Understandable.. But celiac is our way of life to maintain our health. WIthout health( good health) we may just be dead...

Many times I wish I didn't have to make & take food! But I do attend every party invited to.. If I know what is being served I make us the same thing gluten-free. If I don't I take what I feel like. People do ask about my food being differnet from the mainstream food. I give a brief explanation about being gluten-free.I also share a taste of my food. It usually stops the questions or opens up questions for others who ask about their health issues & could they be helped by being gluten-free...and several times I have run into others who have celiac & are still in the closet about it & when they see me open & honest about it they finally open up.... I have bonded many friendships over celiac...

And as I see it being celiac for many years; this is a blessing a true blessing.I can control my health & destiny by gluten-free food... No Deadly drugs, No chemo, no radiation, No wheelchair, no ventilator....what other disease can be controlled by such a simple way...Diabetes must be controlled by diet & insulin injections..very common illness--- no injections for celiac....we have eyes that see, ears that hear, a body that moves by itself, ...think about this --- what would you rather have???

ANd we are not alone people have allergies to foods they have to avoid ie:dairy, soy, corn.Then we have people who can't be in a room with perfume, peanut allergies that can kill......we all have something we have to deal with...they feel the same as we do.....

Please enjoy your big moments as they never will be there again.....

blessings

If you don't want to worry about what your eating then don't. if you can't eat it then be done with it and dont fret about it the entire night, just eat what you can (there should be something there that you can eat) and have a good time with your friends. and as for being picky well, either you have to eat the stuff that is naturally gluten free or starve your choice :)

Thank you all for your replies. I think to some extent the food is an issue, but really it is a lot of other stuff going on as well. It is just easier and simpler to be frustrated about the food. It is easier to be frustrated about the food rather than angry that my parents don't think it is important for them to come to my graduation, another major accomplishment that they are missing. That coming to this program was probably the worst decision I have made. (Though I am so thankful I am done with it). That I am terrified that I wont be able to find a job. It is so much easier to be frustrated with celiac than have to face all of the rest of this. Thank you all for the support.

Thank you all for your replies. I think to some extent the food is an issue, but really it is a lot of other stuff going on as well. It is just easier and simpler to be frustrated about the food. It is easier to be frustrated about the food rather than angry that my parents don't think it is important for them to come to my graduation, another major accomplishment that they are missing. That coming to this program was probably the worst decision I have made. (Though I am so thankful I am done with it). That I am terrified that I wont be able to find a job. It is so much easier to be frustrated with celiac than have to face all of the rest of this. Thank you all for the support.

I'm sorry you are having such mixed feeling about you acheivement. I can identify. I had to leave school because I was so ill and was only 2 classes from graduating. It took 8 years of healing before I was able to complete my degrees. I didn't even get a card or any acknowledgement of how difficult it was for me to finally finish. When we struggle so hard to overcome whatever we have to overcome and no one else even gives us a pat on the back it hurts. I chose not to go to my graduation since I would have been standing there alone while others would be getting hugs and well wishes from friends and family. I knew I would spend the drive home crying so it was easier emotionally to skip it. It is easier to be angry with our illness than to be angry with those we love. Think positive about your job prospects. It isn't easy in this economy for anyone to find a job but I am sure you will be able to do so. You have a lot to be proud of yourself for. Reward yourself in whatever way is comfortable for you but do celebrate as you worked hard and you deserve to have a great day and a wonderful future.

First of all, let me congratulate you for your achievement. Remember, you did it for you, not your parents, so enjoy it for yourself.

Now, for the scolding (gentle and loving, I promise!). If the real issues have nothing or little to do with your celiac, please don't use celiac as an excuse. Part of the issues we gluten-sensitives have with the general public is the perception that we are using celiac as social or psychological crutch.

If you are ambivalent about your field of study, or your family's lack of concern, please work through those issues directly. That is far more productive than throwing celiac in as a red herring. To your credit, you recognize that you are doing that and admitted it.

Now, go out with your friends and celebrate your achievement!

First of all, let me congratulate you for your achievement. Remember, you did it for you, not your parents, so enjoy it for yourself.

Now, for the scolding (gentle and loving, I promise!). If the real issues have nothing or little to do with your celiac, please don't use celiac as an excuse. Part of the issues we gluten-sensitives have with the general public is the perception that we are using celiac as social or psychological crutch.

If you are ambivalent about your field of study, or your family's lack of concern, please work through those issues directly. That is far more productive than throwing celiac in as a red herring. To your credit, you recognize that you are doing that and admitted it.

Now, go out with your friends and celebrate your achievement!

Excuse ME! I can be pissed about more than one thing at a time. I can be frustrated with Celiac which I'm usually pretty good at dealing with most of the time. But it is much harder for me when big things come up. I can deal with the questions at pot-lucks when I bring my own food. I can deal with having to do extra planning when it comes to eating out with friends. But sometimes I just want to be able to enjoy myself like everyone else.

At the same time I can be upset that my parents aren't coming. I can be upset about two things at once.

Excuse ME! I can be pissed about more than one thing at a time. I can be frustrated with Celiac which I'm usually pretty good at dealing with most of the time. But it is much harder for me when big things come up. I can deal with the questions at pot-lucks when I bring my own food. I can deal with having to do extra planning when it comes to eating out with friends. But sometimes I just want to be able to enjoy myself like everyone else.

At the same time I can be upset that my parents aren't coming. I can be upset about two things at once.

There was really no need to get heated. Aeraen made a point in a civil manner, and a very good point at that. Nobody is saying you can't be upset, but I have to agree that you need to deal with the other problems instead of blaming celiac. You were the one who came asking for help, and you just received constructive criticism that you obviously did not care to hear. Don't think you can't enjoy yourself "like everyone else" just because you can't eat gluten. Celebrate your achievement, make or order a gluten-free graduation cake, and revel in the fact that you're DONE with grad school

I totally can relate to you, Googles. You are allowed to be upset. Gluten is difficult for me to deal with because it is a physical representation of my differences. I've always been different, as a person, but the celiac makes it more "real." No longer can I deny those differences, because I need to stand up and advocate for that part of myself... but I still don't like being different. I like to be working "behind the scenes." Maybe you relate?

As far as your graduation... maybe this isn't as big of a milestone for you as you think (just a thought)? You have done all the work along the way... to get to this point. It takes awhile and eventually, our brains tend to take those long-term goals and put them in a place where they are not so prominent, but still seen... if that makes sense. However, it's hard to know what to do or how to react when you get to the point of reaching your goals.

Your parents? I'm sure it hurts, but you can't let them pull you down... and you aren't alone. My dad likes to let all of his anger build up so he can take it out on some small mistake or choice someone made. He doesn't hesitant to tell me that I am 18 now and that means I'm an adult... All the while forgetting that his mom made him breakfast every morning till he moved out at 25. :lol::lol::lol:

It still is a big accomplishment; not everyone makes it through grad school, so: CONGRATULATIONS! You made it. Go celebrate for yourself and do what you need to do to assure your safety and sanity! ;)

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Forum Statistics

• Total Topics
    • Total Posts
  • Topics

• You should never have cut out gluten until you had the biopsy done. It's much worse to have to go back on after you've been off gluten for a while. There's no way I could ever do the gluten challenge after being off gluten for even a month because my reactions got so dramatically worse.  Stress definately can trigger celiac- before I was diagnosed - it got the worst after surgery and after a stressful time planning my daughters wedding. 
    • Hi not diagnosed celiac, Welcome to the forum! Your doctor should be sent to remedial celiac disease training.  Since that probably won't happen, I suggest you find a new doctor.  He doesn't know what he's doing when it comes to diagnosing celiac disease. You should not have gone gluten-free before completing all celiac disease testing.  The testing for celiac disease depends on the immune reaction being active.  Removing gluten before testing removes the antigen that causes the immune system to react, and lowers the chances of getting a correct test result dramatically.  The University of Chicago celiac disease center recommends: ******************************************** http://www.cureceliacdisease.org/faq/what-is-a-gluten-challenge/ Prior to blood testing we recommend 12 weeks of eating gluten. Prior to an endoscopic biopsy we recommend 2 weeks of eating gluten. In the case of a severe reaction to gluten, a medical professional may opt to shorten the 12-week challenge and move immediately to an endoscopic biopsy. May, 2013 ******************************************** So you will need to go back to eating gluten before your endoscopy.  That may cause worse symptoms than before when you were eating gluten.  So it would have been better to do all testing before going gluten-free. Can you search for a celiac disease support group in your area?  They exist in many parts of the USA and world.  They can be a good place to get a knowledgeable doctor recommendation.  There is also a doctors subsection of this forum where you can search to see if any doctors in your area were recommended.
    • Hi All, I'm new to this and very confused! I have Lea & Perrins WC sauce, it lists it's first ingredient as Malt Vinegar.  I have the Coeliac Society of Ireland Food List 2015 here, and it says "All Vinegars are Gluten Free including Malt Vinegar." Doesn't that mean that L&P Worcestershire sauce is safe?   Their website states " Lea & Perrins® Worcestershire Sauce is cholesterol free, fat free, preservative free, gluten free and has 80% less sodium than soy sauce. " I'm cooking for my coeliac niece, can't afford to make a mistake!
    • I get these crazy cravings for some things I can not eat anymore. Not only am I diagnosed with celiac but I also have a allergy to corn, olives, sesame, peanuts, and intolerance to yeast, soy, dairy, and a very low tolerance for carbs/sugars, Top it off with I can not digest meats or egg yolks, they just give me the burps and come up later.
        To deal with these I find myself turning to Republic of Teas (They have a great desert tea line up all certified gluten-free) and sweetening them with monk fruit extract, or stevia. And I find myself making Puddings bases that I use for shakes, dips, and ice-cream for meals. The puddings are normally a blend of cashew, or almond milk with a thickening agent like agar agar, pectin, or knoxx gelatin, blended with a sweetener like xylitol, swerve, stevia, monk fruit or a combination. And flavored with Lor Ann Oils (all gluten-free certified and you can find the kosher ones listed as such) super strength flavors or fountain syrups to match something I can not eat normally a combination of two flavors (Strawberry Cheesecake, Banana and Carmel, Cookies & Cream, etc) Then I add a fat that matches best, like almond butter, cashew butter, hemp butter, ground flax seed, coconut flour, chocolate, Pumpkin seed butter or a combination) These bases are normally blended up and consumed with 1-2 scoops of protein powder and eaten with steamed vegges as a side dip or loaded into a ice cream maker for a desert after my meals.      Also found myself making desert soups....like a pumpkin soup that taste like pumpkin pie. I am sure we all have our little quirks but this is one of mine for getting that sweet craving taken care of. Most premade items are off my list due to the allergies and it seems most companies use the oils, starches I am allergic to as non stick or thickening agents, Even the semi safe ones tend to put way to much sugars in them and I find myself only being able to nibble . There is also my little binge issues with almonds, pumpkin seeds, and, cocoa but that was explained to me as normal And on my most craving for peanuts I have found sancha inchi powder to work great, The Powder itself taste like the girl scout peanut butter cookie sandwich from my childhood, And is great mixed with a bit of almond milk into a butter or used in baking and smoothies. Before this I have been making Artisan blends of almond butter for years and even made a market selling them to pay  for my own consumption. Baked goods wise I have a bunch of recipes I make for others and sell at markets and this allows me to nibble on a sample to check it, as most contain a bean or gluten-free Harvest Oats/Flour in them and the carbs from that and the coconut sugars bother me. Still helps with cravings there, I only have 2 recipes that sell good and are safe for me to eat full servings of but are so expensive as they use almond and coconut flours, low sugars/xylitol and are paleo that I only can afford to make them once a month. Posting to hear about some odd and out there ways others deal with substitutions and cravings. Please do not bash mine as odd as they might be as they keep me from going crazy. (Yes I know DROP THE OATS, fact is I only get them when tasting stuff and they are gluten-free Harvest, the only ones I have never gotten glutend with)  
    • After suffering pretty much all year with one illness after another I've finally managed to get a diagnosis and it turns out to be celiac. After my doctors consistently failing to even consider the possibility it might be that (as opposed to "IBS" or "stress") I kept pushing for the Iga TTg test and it was off the charts with a score of >128... may as well fail it in style I guess. So here I am at the start of what feels like the end of my life as I know it. Been doing nothing but reading for the past week and frankly it's terrifying. Here's a few things that are going round in my head and I'd really appreciate your thoughts with. Apologies if it's a bit of an essay  Diagnosis I'm still furious at my doctors for not even entertaining the thought that celiac could be the root cause of all my ills. Given the blood test is so simple it feels almost negligent that they don't run this right at the start to rule it out. Instead I got subjected to poisons like Omeprazole which made me even more ill, whilst being told the physical symptoms were all in my head. Just as well I knew better and kept hitting up Google until my self-diagnosis was proved correct... to think these people get paid highly to be so incompetent makes my blood boil. Does feel good having outwitted the so-called professionals though. Seems 9 months is comparatively quick from symptoms to diagnosis compared to some others that have gone years with the problems so could be worse I guess. Food and diet I'm male vegetarian (non-negotiable) which makes this even harder as so many of my protein sources are now ruled out. Seems many with celiac were having trouble losing weight whereas I'm in the opposite situation. Already lost best part of a stone in the past few weeks and it's becoming noticeable now. The MyFitnessPal app reckons I need 2600 calories a day to maintain \ gain weight - no idea where that's going to come from. On top of that I read sites like Gluten Dude where even the Gluten Free foods are seen as poisons and going on extreme diets like Paleo \ SCD are the only real way forward. Again being veggie makes that practically impossible and if I'm unlucky enough to end up with the dairy issues as well I'm well and truly stuffed. Right now I'm trying the gluten-free Quorn products to see how I go, as well as more eggs etc. Porridge has been my go-to breakfast in the mornings for a while after I cut out bread whilst self-diagnosing but depending on where you read even that's a potential problem (currently using gluten-free porridge oats and seeing how it goes) Seems many gluten-free people have to go right back to basics and cook everything from scratch. That's a problem for me as I'm utterly hopeless on that front and time doesn't permit waiting hours just to prepare one meal. Seems nigh-on impossible to do day-in, day-out. Health Rightly or wrongly right now I see this diagnosis as a death sentence long-term. Looks like it brings other associated illnesses with it and this particular article really scares me: http://scdlifestyle.com/2012/03/the-gluten-free-lie-why-most-celiacs-are-slowly-dying/ I've only really had noticeable symptoms for the past year or so but wonder how long this has been going on for and what damage has already been done. All seems to have started from when I turned 30 (knew I was dreading that age for a reason) and right now I wonder how long I'm going to last before the really bad stuff starts. One of the other illnesses I'd considered as a possibility before getting diagnosed was Hashimoto's Thyroiditis; now it seems that's closely linked with Celiac so may not be out of the woods with that yet either. Just seems to be one big list of illness all triggered from the same point One positive change I've noticed thus far since cutting out gluten is that bloating seems to have gone down and bowel movements are better. Still getting headaches and muscle twitching, which could be as much a withdrawal symptom from gluten as anything else.  Some sites were suggesting stopping exercise whilst withdrawing but I can't face that as it's the only thing keeping me going at present. Again will keep going as-was and see what happens. Then to top it off it sounds like the next step is the biopsy - I'm scared of being put out for the procedure as a member of family went into hospital a few years back for something supposedly routine and never came back out. From what I've been told it's important to have done though as it shows just how broken the villi are so another thing to worry about in the meantime. I've just read on another thread that you have to be on gluten to have the test, that's another kicker after having started to cut it out the diet. With such a high blood test Iga-TTg score isn't it almost certain that celiac is the cause and the endoscopy in this case is just confirming levels of damage? OK means I can have a final blow-out eating all the "bad" foods but no doubt with all the side effects that come with it... Social life Seems like despite there being some gluten free options in certain restaurants (granted better now than years ago) I'm going to be hugely limited in food options. Either sitting on the side looking on or just plain not able to go out much anymore. Already had the first hitting-home moment watching colleagues eating pastries that were brought in while I just have to look on... then it dawns that this is never going to get better... urghhh Family life I'm really struggling to accept this lifelong illness and loss of health and it's taking a toll on the people around me at the moment. They won't be going gluten-free so will have to take my chances with the mixed kitchen environment; already gone with split toasters etc. so can't do much more than that. Dating Basically seems game over on that front, unlike many who are diagnosed with understanding partners \ spouses I'm still in the dating game, which is judgemental enough as it is without all the complications that the gluten issues bring. I'm reading even kissing someone with lipstick \ make-up is apparently a big no-no... once any date hears that they won't be coming back... forever alone status confirmed is how it looks right now. Overall feelings I still can't quite figure out if this illness was in me all along and just hasn't flared up enough to notice until now or whether the extreme stress I've been under for the past year or so has triggered it. If the second scenario is correct I can't stop thinking about the events that all led up to this almost year-long bout of ill health and life-changing diagnosis. Can celiac be brought on by stress alone or realistically was I always a ticking timebomb just waiting to be set off? For every person I see that's had a positive change after cutting out gluten (and getting by with reasonably achievable adjustments) there seems to be 10 others with horrible side-effects and long-term complications. Right now the future feels rather bleak - like all hope just been taken away. Help???
  • Upcoming Events

• Blog Entries

• Recent Status Updates

• Who's Online (See full list)

• Member Statistics

• Total Members
    • Most Online

Newest Member
    moojoo