26 replies to this topic

#16 Juliebove

Juliebove

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,650 posts

Posted 08 April 2012 - 01:26 AM

Wow! I wonder if they all put flour on the cheese? We have had problems with them bringing a salad with a lone crouton then trying to just pick it off. Or acting annoyed when we ask for a special salad. I didn't know about the quiona either. Hmmm... I have had the gluten-free pasta and it didn't taste like quinoa. My daughter can't have quinoa. So I guess that place is out for us!

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#17 Lisa

Lisa

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,799 posts

Posted 08 April 2012 - 05:03 AM

I used your earlier link to contact them tonight. Did they ever respond to you, Lisa?

No nothing! <_<
Lisa

Gluten Free - August 15, 2004

"Not all who wander are lost" - JRR Tolkien

#18 lovegrov

lovegrov

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,537 posts

Posted 08 April 2012 - 07:00 AM

Usually these types of stories -- especially wheat in cheese stories -- turn out to be untrue, but of course I wouldn't eat it until we hear from OG.

#19 Marilyn R

Marilyn R

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,484 posts

Posted 10 April 2012 - 04:49 PM

I received a reply back tonight from Lisa's link to corporate Olive Garden. It isn't standard operating procedure to dust the parmesan cheese with flour. They said they'd follow up.
Positive improvement from elimination diet. Mother dx'd by Mayo Clinic in late 1980s. Negative blood tests and Upper & Lower GI biopsy. Parathyroidectomy 12/09. Recurring high calcium level 4/10. Gluten-free 4/10. Soy & Dairy Free 6/10. Corn free 7/10. Grain free except rice 8/10. Legume free 6/11. Fighting the battle of the battle within myself, and I'm going to win!

As of 2/12, tolerating dairy, corn, legumes and some soy, but I limit soy to tamari sauce or modest soy additives. Won't ever try quinoa again!

Discoid Lupus from skin biopsy 2011, discovered 2/12 when picking up medical records. Systemic Lupus Dx 6/12. Shingles 10/12.

#20 Lisa

Lisa

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,799 posts

Posted 10 April 2012 - 05:10 PM

I received a reply back tonight from Lisa's link to corporate Olive Garden. It isn't standard operating procedure to dust the parmesan cheese with flour. They said they'd follow up.

YES!

Marilyn, could you post their reply or in parts that you feel appropriate?

Thank you so much for your reply and maybe???? in the near future you can eat there with comfort.

Yea! I love warriors, as we all are. :D
Lisa

#21 joolsjewels

joolsjewels

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 38 posts

Posted 14 October 2012 - 12:21 PM

In general, do not waste your time on olive garden's Gluten-Free pasta and sauce. It is so nasty! My dad was in the navy for 24 yrs and i have had better pasta on the ship when we visited him. OG's pasta was mushy and the sauce tasted of ketchup. They do prepare it separetly in the microwave and i did did not get sick from the few bites i ate. The manager agreed with me that it was the worst thing on the menu. She was gracious enough to remove it from my bill, but why serve it in the first place. I contacted corporate, but they stood behind their product. I just do not want anyone to waste their time eating this. It is by far the worst Gluten-Free meal i have ever had.

#22 Mefellows

Mefellows

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 12:22 PM

My daughter and I went to Olive Garden last week and both asked for the gluten free menus. We placed our orders, I mad my substitutions based on other allergies/sensitivities. The server was really nice! As we were eating, my daughter asked for a side of broccoli. The server very kindly told her that THE BROCCOLI IS COOKED IN THE PASTA WATER!!! I don't know if the zuccini was also, or if they also dust their cheese in flour, but I've been sick 5 days since I went there.

#23 dandeliongirls

dandeliongirls

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 07 May 2013 - 05:09 PM

Just want to let everyone know, my daughters and I just say down to eat at Olive Garden, ordered from the gluten free menu provided, and I chose to double check for the cheese (I've been burned by 'trusting' the restaurant biz too many times!).
I saw this thread about the cheese, so when the salad came out and the sever offered cheese, I asked her about it being dusted with flour. She politely reassured me that they do not dust it with flour themselves, but when I asked, said she could double check. Sure enough, it comes pre-packaged that way. They went and read the ingredients list on the box, and yes, it is indeed coated. DON'T EAT IT! ;)
Thankful for this forum as a heads up- saved me days of pain and misery!

#24 kareng

kareng

Be Royal

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,116 posts

Posted 07 May 2013 - 05:26 PM

What specifically was it coated with? Coating it with flour would make it clump and stick together. I have never seen wheat flour on shredded or grated cheese.

LTES

"We've waited 29 years for this and not even a Giant can stand in our way." - Mayor Sly James

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#25 Lisa

Lisa

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,799 posts

Posted 07 May 2013 - 05:58 PM

Just want to let everyone know, my daughters and I just say down to eat at Olive Garden, ordered from the gluten free menu provided, and I chose to double check for the cheese (I've been burned by 'trusting' the restaurant biz too many times!).
I saw this thread about the cheese, so when the salad came out and the sever offered cheese, I asked her about it being dusted with flour. She politely reassured me that they do not dust it with flour themselves, but when I asked, said she could double check. Sure enough, it comes pre-packaged that way. They went and read the ingredients list on the box, and yes, it is indeed coated. DON'T EAT IT! ;)
Thankful for this forum as a heads up- saved me days of pain and misery!

OMG, it's coated!  Panic.. :o :P   No.... seriously, the coating would not/is not be gluten based.

Most likey it's dusted with cellulose, a non gluten issue. A very common practice, and no reason for concern.

The grated cheese is just fine for all people with Celiac or those with a gluten intolerance. :)

Lisa

#26 psawyer

psawyer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,048 posts

Posted 07 May 2013 - 06:42 PM

Lisa and Karen have this on the money. There may be a dusting of cellulose (which is always gluten-free), but flour would make the cheese sticky--the opposite of the desired effect. It amazes me that there are still people who believe that flour is an anti-stick agent. It is a binder, for goodness sake.

Peter
Diagnosis by biopsy of practically non-existent villi; gluten-free since July 2000.
Type 1 (autoimmune) diabetes diagnosed in March 1986
Markham, Ontario (borders on Toronto)

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#27 Nikki2777

Nikki2777

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 302 posts

Posted 07 May 2013 - 07:07 PM

Wow. That's too bad. From your first post it seemed like the manager had stopped the server before any of the coated cheese had hit your plate. But i guess i mis-read. Could it have been some other part of the meal that got you? I'm so nervous now after a local restaurant was SO accommodating and yet I got glutened.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: