7 replies to this topic

#1 King_Danilo92

King_Danilo92

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 02 April 2012 - 10:09 PM

this chinese restaurant tells me that there general tsos chicken has no flour, and no soy sauce and its just made out of corn starch.

i have eaten this about 7 times and it hasnt bothered me once. does this sound all right?

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 mushroom

mushroom

Mushroom

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,448 posts

Posted 03 April 2012 - 02:26 AM

Welcome to the forum, King Danilo. I am the wrong one to be answering this question, but the only one around at this time of night :o I am not a chinese food eater or restaurant frequenter, but if they say it is fine, and your body says it is fine, 7 times!!!, I would guess it is probably fine :)
Neroli

"Everything that can be counted does not necessarily count; everything that counts cannot necessarily be counted." - Albert Einstein

"Life is not weathering the storm; it is learning to dance in the rain"

"Whatever the question, the answer is always chocolate." Nigella Lawson

------------

Caffeine free 1973
Lactose free 1990
(Mis)diagnosed IBS, fibromyalgia '80's and '90's
Diagnosed psoriatic arthritis 2004
Self-diagnosed gluten intolerant, gluten-free Nov. 2007
Soy free March 2008
Nightshade free Feb 2009
Citric acid free June 2009
Potato starch free July 2009
(Totally) corn free Nov. 2009
Legume free March 2010
Now tolerant of lactose

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#3 Christine0125

Christine0125

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 129 posts

Posted 03 April 2012 - 04:03 AM

this chinese restaurant tells me that there general tsos chicken has no flour, and no soy sauce and its just made out of corn starch.

i have eaten this about 7 times and it hasnt bothered me once. does this sound all right?

Wow! I'm eating out Chinese this weekend with family and I had planned to order plain rice and steamed vegetables with no sauce and bring my own soy sauce to be safe. I wonder if there are actually more options for me! Anyone else had luck with particular dishes at a Chinese restaurant? I'm not a general tso's fan. :)

#4 ndw3363

ndw3363

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 178 posts

Posted 03 April 2012 - 12:04 PM

Oh how I want that to be true!!! Is it one of those hole-in-the-wall places, or a chain? I miss Chinese food so badly - my newest problem is soy, so I have trouble even going to PF Changs which was my favorite for years!! Hope you get more answers on this one...I'm completely curious now myself!

#5 King_Danilo92

King_Danilo92

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 03 April 2012 - 08:00 PM

thank you =) yes it is wonderful knowing it doesent bother me and it seems to be perfect! become a general tsos fan because not only do they have it in providence, but they have the same thing to offer in my home town, with the no flour, soy, and made out of corn starch. ask around =)

#6 lovetapioca

lovetapioca

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 21 posts

Posted 04 April 2012 - 05:23 PM

I have had nothing but reactions with Chinese restaurants no matter what they have told me...until...I recently ate at a restaurant here in our town called China Inn. I don't know if it is a chain or not. But I talked with the owner to see what I could eat and told her about how I couldn't have soy sauce...since every Chinese restaurant I have checked out the soy sauce had wheat in it. So, the owner said "WAIT!" and she came out with an empty clean 5 gallon bucket that the soy sauce came in! It had all the ingredients in it and no wheat! It had molasses in it unlke La Choy which has corn syrup. I will have to get the name of the sauce and post it later. Then she showed me the menu and how she had listed what she had thickened things with. Example is the Egg Flower Soup...with corn starch like it should be but so far the Chinese restaurants I had tried used flour. The owner was shocked when I told her that and she said that only a bad cook would do that! It turned out that only 4 items on the entire menu could not be eaten except for the obvious ones, such as the breaded or on lo mein noodles, etc. The best was it was delicious and NO REACTION. I usually know before I even leave the restaurant if I have been "poisoned" with gluten. Just having the communcation on the menu was so nice. She told me she had been asked enough times that she felt it would be beneficial for her to change the menu to encourage business. Smart woman! She has my business.

#7 lovegrov

lovegrov

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,537 posts

Posted 05 April 2012 - 06:33 AM

love, you aren't in Blacksburg, Va., are you? THERE"S A china Inn here (although I'm sure there are many).

richard

#8 lovetapioca

lovetapioca

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 21 posts

Posted 05 April 2012 - 10:05 PM

No, I am in Lewiston, Idaho! My good experience was at China Inn, Lewiston ID.

I will also say that I was in Springfield MO recently and ate at a Thai restaurant. I believe it was called Thai Express on Glenstone Ave. He kept telling me there was no soy sauce in the their items unless we ask for it...and then I read their ingredients in their soy sauce and even that was real soy sauce with no wheat! I ate and ate and ate two different time of his curry. Anyone that lives there has got to try his Pumpkin Curry and also the Red Curry. It must have a zillion calories which is fine as long as I don't live there and only visit a couple of times a year! Gained weight. But no reaction. Absolutely none. Almost made me cry it felt so good to eat. That was before I came back home to Idaho and had the wonderful China Inn experience. After I had the good Thai experience I spent quite a bit of time online researching Thai and was amazed how much we can eat. Yes, some recipes do use soy sauce instead of their fish sauce. But the recipes I was reading said the authentic Thai do not use soy sauce. I think I will become a genuine Thai food fan.

I also talked a Thai restaurant that is in a neighboring city, Clarkston, WA. They also told me they didn't use soy unless asked. I only have been there a couple of times but both times, no reaction, but I was very careful how I ordered. Now that I had the good experience in Springfield MO, I am anxious to try more at this Thai restaurant here.

I usually simply cook all my own food, so much cheaper and easier and have people to my house instead of going to theirs if possible. Now I feel like I can finally start to relax when I go out with friends at times.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: