3 replies to this topic

#1 AlexS

AlexS

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 18 posts

Posted 03 April 2012 - 03:40 AM

Hi, I am going to a staff dinner in a few days to a fairly upscale Chinese restaurant at a nice hotel. I'm still new to this eating out gluten free thing, and I'd like to call the restaurant ahead of time to ask if they can prepare something special for me, but I'm not sure where to begin. They have their menu online (http://www.grandluca...naBeachMenu.pdf) - can you see anything on there that I could request that they make gluten free?

If not, I'll have to just eat at home before and just have a soda, but it would be great to eat food that I didn't have to cook, for a change ;)

Thanks!

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 SugarBiscuit

SugarBiscuit

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 16 posts

Posted 03 April 2012 - 06:00 AM

Well, as a rule, as long as they do not add certain seasonings to fish, it is fine. If you like fish, there were lots of options on the menu. You would basically just need to ask them not to season it with anything but salt or pepper, and just serve it to you with some butter sauce. Steaks and Veggies are the same. As long as it is not seasoned and doesn't come with noodles, it should be okay.

If it is upscale, they probably will have no issues with special requests, and may even have special gluten free items that are on the menu. A couple of places I have checked online in my area do not have the gluten free menu displayed with the regular one, but will either email you a list of safe items, or a separate menu.

Good luck! I love dining out, and it is one thing I already miss.
1996 Dxed with Exercise Induced Asthma, Chronic Constipation
2003 Dxed with Migraines, Severe Acne, Infertility, IBS, PCOS, Keratosis Pilaris and unexplained flat fingernails, Depression, and Arthritis in both knees and one wrist
2005 Dxed with Insomnia, Bipolar Disorder, and unexplained loss of enamel
2010 began having hair loss, constant bladder infections, and chronic fatigue
2011 gained 50 pounds, severe joint pain
2012 had UTI, went to doctor and given anti-biotics,resulted in diarrhea 10-15 times a day.
March 2012 self Dxed Celiac Began gluten free diet. All symptoms have stopped or lessened greatly, including PCOS and joint pain.

#3 AlexS

AlexS

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 18 posts

Posted 05 April 2012 - 07:49 PM

I ended up getting the fish prepared as you suggested, and I had a really good experience. It's nice to see that eating out is still possible sometimes :)

#4 SugarBiscuit

SugarBiscuit

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 16 posts

Posted 09 April 2012 - 08:59 PM

I ended up getting the fish prepared as you suggested, and I had a really good experience. It's nice to see that eating out is still possible sometimes :)

Great!

I have read all these horror stories about getting glutened when eating out, so it is nice to hear something good. I also went out this week had a gluten free pizza at Godfather's Pizza. Tiny, but very good.
1996 Dxed with Exercise Induced Asthma, Chronic Constipation
2003 Dxed with Migraines, Severe Acne, Infertility, IBS, PCOS, Keratosis Pilaris and unexplained flat fingernails, Depression, and Arthritis in both knees and one wrist
2005 Dxed with Insomnia, Bipolar Disorder, and unexplained loss of enamel
2010 began having hair loss, constant bladder infections, and chronic fatigue
2011 gained 50 pounds, severe joint pain
2012 had UTI, went to doctor and given anti-biotics,resulted in diarrhea 10-15 times a day.
March 2012 self Dxed Celiac Began gluten free diet. All symptoms have stopped or lessened greatly, including PCOS and joint pain.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: