This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Weight Watchers

kaki-clam

kaki-clam Enthusiast

So, i am one of those celiac's that gain weight...like it's my job!

I am considering doing weight watchers online, and am wondering if anyone has tried it and if it's been adaptable to the gluten free lifestyle.

Thanks!!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

mbrookes Community Regular

I heartily reccommend Weight Watchers...on line or going to meetings. I have been doing WW for 2 weeks and have lost 6 pounds. That's not much, but it's the most I've been able to lose in years. I hope it keeps coming off.

As far as being compatible with gluten free, there is no problem. There is a calculator you can use to figure the number of points in bread and stuff (Udi's is the same as regular bread).Most of the foods I eat on gluten-free fit perfectly into the WW diet.

If you try it, write again and let me know how you are doing. It really is the easiest diet I have ever tried. You get to make all your own food choices. The amounts are what get counted. Oh, and you can have all the fruit and veggies you want.

CarolinaKip Community Regular

So, i am one of those celiac's that gain weight...like it's my job!

I am considering doing weight watchers online, and am wondering if anyone has tried it and if it's been adaptable to the gluten free lifestyle.

Thanks!!

My daughter is going to meetings and I go with her as she does not have her license yet. I am thinking of joing as well because I have gone too far with putting on weight after ging gluten-free. I've looked at most recipes and some can be made gluten-free. I only cook gluten-free....The only trouble I see is with the different flours we use, however, if you get a WW caculator, it shouldn't be a problem. I like the meetings and my daughter would agree. It holds you more accountable. They have a gluten-free booklet, not much help. When they stated in a meeting that the average person eats out 4.5 times a week, I told my daughter that was six months for me! gluten-free replacement foods would be high points for some, but do able to me. Good luck and best wishes!

UCSD90 Newbie

Hello!

I have been with Weight Watchers since 2008 and lost 65 pounds. Most of that was before having to give up gluten, but since I have given it up, I've found it's still doable. Unfortunately, the gluten-free versions of some of the foods I love (like bread and bagels) have been higher points values than their gluten-full varieties, but we all make choices! :) However, I'm here to tell you that you can still lose weight after having to give up gluten and dairy.

Good luck to both of you! Feel free to email if you need support!

UCSD90

I heartily reccommend Weight Watchers...on line or going to meetings. I have been doing WW for 2 weeks and have lost 6 pounds. That's not much, but it's the most I've been able to lose in years. I hope it keeps coming off.

As far as being compatible with gluten free, there is no problem. There is a calculator you can use to figure the number of points in bread and stuff (Udi's is the same as regular bread).Most of the foods I eat on gluten-free fit perfectly into the WW diet.

If you try it, write again and let me know how you are doing. It really is the easiest diet I have ever tried. You get to make all your own food choices. The amounts are what get counted. Oh, and you can have all the fruit and veggies you want.

• 3 weeks later...
jerseygirl221 Rookie

I just joined WW last week. I had to do something. I, too, gained weight once my healing started. I was diagnosed with Celiac in August 2011.

NJceliac Apprentice

I joined Weight Watchers October of 2007 and lost 50+ pounds and have kept it off. Then I was diagnosed with Celiac 12/1/2012. I still follow weight watchers and keep track of my points. It is very doable since you make all your own food choices. I have gained about 6-8 pounds since going gluten free which I feel is probably related to my gut healing and therefore I am not malabsorbing. I did go through an adjustment period as much of the gluten free versions of the food I was eating has more points which means I now eat more fruits and veggies then before since they have 0 point plus value. Lucky this past summer Amy's developed the Light and Lean frozen dinners which are all 6 points (great for lunch option). If you join Weight watchers also has a forum and there is one set up for people with dietary restrictions so those who are gluten free can certainly help support each other. Weight loss is a journey and I wish you well. Weight watchers is a slow process so it can get frustrating at times. I feel so much better about myself though since I have lost the weight.

sandsurfgirl Collaborator

I tried WW online about a year ago and I didn't like it. I don't like having to track my food on computer or with my phone. I like the old little journals they used to have and the slider thing for counting points that you could keep in your purse. Do they still have those if you go to meetings? I don't have my old materials from years ago anymore.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

UCSD90 Newbie

I tried WW online about a year ago and I didn't like it. I don't like having to track my food on computer or with my phone. I like the old little journals they used to have and the slider thing for counting points that you could keep in your purse. Do they still have those if you go to meetings? I don't have my old materials from years ago anymore.

There are paper trackers in all the meeting rooms - you can take as many as you want! There are also 3 month journals where you can track for three months at a time. WW now sells a calculator to figure out the points of foods because the sliders don't work anymore. The new plan counts fat, fiber, protein and carbs, and four things to count was more than the slider could handle. You can also use your smartphone as a calculator if you have eTools. Let me know if you have any other questions!

Erin

sandsurfgirl Collaborator

There are paper trackers in all the meeting rooms - you can take as many as you want! There are also 3 month journals where you can track for three months at a time. WW now sells a calculator to figure out the points of foods because the sliders don't work anymore. The new plan counts fat, fiber, protein and carbs, and four things to count was more than the slider could handle. You can also use your smartphone as a calculator if you have eTools. Let me know if you have any other questions!

Erin

Those little journals are great and they fit in your purse. Do they still have books with the points of different foods in alphabetical order? I'm pretty big on technology but for food tracking I don't like it. I've tried WW online and tracking my food with the Bodybugg website and using their device. It's so slow going on the phone and then I forge to log it on the computer and lose track. A paper journal is quick and painless and you can take it anywhere.

With the old program I had memorized the points of most of the foods I ate regularly. Now I think I would have to start all over learning points values.

UCSD90 Newbie

Those little journals are great and they fit in your purse. Do they still have books with the points of different foods in alphabetical order? I'm pretty big on technology but for food tracking I don't like it. I've tried WW online and tracking my food with the Bodybugg website and using their device. It's so slow going on the phone and then I forge to log it on the computer and lose track. A paper journal is quick and painless and you can take it anywhere.

With the old program I had memorized the points of most of the foods I ate regularly. Now I think I would have to start all over learning points values.

Yep, they still sell what's called the Complete Food Companion, which has most foods you would need to know. There's also the Dining Out Companion for many popular restaurants (and if your restaurant isn't in there, there's usually something close enough so you can estimate). The points have changed on a lot of things, but usually within a point or two either way, so you'd be surprised how quickly the you adapt to the new points values.

Keep asking questions! :) I'm happy to help!

• 4 weeks later...

How fun to find WW here.I have been on WW for 21/2 months and have lost 16 pounds... and that includes a trip to New Orleans and several parties! It is the only diet that I have been able to stay on. It is so flexible that tnere is no boredom and I don't feel deprived. I do go to the meeting because I know I need to be accountable to someone (the lady with the scales!)to keep me straight. Give it a try and let us know what you think.

VydorScope Proficient

As a person that lost 50 pounds, twice, in his life I would suggest that you do not do the online version, but go to the meetings. The thing that sets WW apart from just being another diet is the support and accountability of the meetings. I have not done that program, but I am close to several families that are in the program. The "online" version is just another diet, and does not have the success rate (at least from what I have seen) of the version with the meetings.

That is my take on it at least. :)

killernj13 Enthusiast

You can do the online for tracking and still go to the meetings.

That is what I do. I like the convenience of tracking on my computer (I don't have a smart phone, which might even be easier)and I like the support of the meetings. Extra benefit... I've met some really nice interesting people there.

VydorScope Proficient

You can do the online for tracking and still go to the meetings.

Yes. This too. :D The meetings is the key thing, IMO.

killernj13 Enthusiast

Yes. This too. :D The meetings is the key thing, IMO.

I agree that the meetings are very important.

coffeetime Explorer

I agree with killernj13, both works well for me--finally! once I got my head around the fact that just because I couldn't eat one Krispy Cream Donut that I could eat a whole a whole box of gluten-free donuts. I like the meetings for the accountability but I like the online resources because it's easier to calculate points of my gluten-free recipes. Good luck you can do it. I really believe (after years of struggle) that 99% of losing weight is all in the head--the fork is just a tool.

• 7 years later...
phyllis ponzio Newbie

I am a ww life time member, I am celiac. I have gained 30lbs. since I found out I am celiac.

Beverage Rising Star

Celic's gain weight because they subsitute gluten free processed foods made with refined white flours from rice and other starches .... uhhhh, yea, not good, they're just as bad or even worse than refined wheat flour.  Eat whole foods.  Meat, vegetables, some fruit.  Snack on cut up veggies, nuts.  No refined processed stuff. 

I found tons of great ideas from paleo and whole30 cookbooks at my local library.  Stay away from the gluten free cookbooks that try to make things like you used to eat but with the even more refined carbs.

You can also sign up for newsletters from so many sites that have free recipes.  Just stay away from anything in a box, a bag, etc.,  just shop from the meat and fresh produce sections.