Get email alerts Get Celiac.com E-mail Alerts  

Celiac.com Sponsor:
Celiac.com Sponsor:

Ads by Google:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

Paleo/primal Dieters

11 posts in this topic

Anyone here following the paleo/primal movement to manage their celiac? I find it easier to manage this disease being paleo. No grains so far has meant no contamination, no need for an additional toaster, more control of my blood sugar, and easier on my adrenals. The only hard part is figuring out the fat/protein/carb portions. I find that if i cut on carbs too much i lose wayyyy too much weight. Just wondering for how many of you this change in lifestyle had been helpful.

Ads by Google:

I'm paleo-ish. I find I have a little more energy if I have a few servings of rice, quinoa, or oats per week but that's about it for the grains and legumes. I don't worry at all about fat/protein/carb. I eat a nice serving of protein, veggies to fill up, and enough fat to make me feel satiated. If you are losing weight without carbs you need to be eating rich foods like avocado and nuts, and drizzling some olive oil on your veggies. Or make some coconut flour bread or almond flour muffins to munch on.

I'm Paleo-ish too. I just find that my body works better that way. I just finished doing a Whole 30, which I primarily did because I had just been feeling kinda blah. I felt much better when I was done, and plan to follow it most of the time. When I eat dairy it's pastured and raw. And a few sweet treats here and there ;)

I don't follow it to the T either. I eat dairy because I tolerate it. There's nothing for me like a piece of Brie! I eat tubers and fruits mostly fir my carbs. Love the nuts!

Anyone here following the paleo/primal movement to manage their celiac? I find it easier to manage this disease being paleo. No grains so far has meant no contamination, no need for an additional toaster, more control of my blood sugar, and easier on my adrenals. The only hard part is figuring out the fat/protein/carb portions. I find that if i cut on carbs too much i lose wayyyy too much weight. Just wondering for how many of you this change in lifestyle had been helpful.

I just posted a new topic before seeing this one, sorry. If I go grain free where is my source of carbs? I hear that you need to have a certain amount of carbs, correct?

I just posted a new topic before seeing this one, sorry. If I go grain free where is my source of carbs? I hear that you need to have a certain amount of carbs, correct?

White potatoes are a source of carbs for some, I personally use these and I do occasionally have a bit of white rice to control my blood sugar. Sweet potatoes are a good source of carbs and other starchy vegetables like carrots. There are also carbs in other vegetables and fruits also. As far as how many grams of carbs you need, I actually feel it depends on the person (like how much you are exercising and using those carbs and what carbs do to your blood sugar), for me I eat between 75 and 100 grams of carbs depending on the day because that's what works for me to keep my blood sugar relatively level.

Not really. You can burn healthy fats as fuel. Most people on paleo do eat fruit and vegetables that contain some carbs like winter squash. Paleo is not ketogenic like Atkins, but it is much lower in carbs than a typical American diet.

Some people might take paleo to the ketogenic territory. They only eat carbs from veggies like cauliflower, etc. I can't go that extreme. I figured I need about 100 carbs a day depending how much I work out. I usually eat all kinds of fruits, sweet potatoes, yucca, malanga, carrots, white potatoes, etc. Your body will tell you how much it needs. The key is to get enough dietary fat intake so you don't feel starved.

I have to eat paleo diet like... Mostly no dairy, but every now in then I'll have a string cheese, no grains for me since I'm allergic to all grains. I don't even eat coconut breads or anything like that. I've found it to be quite easy but the beginning was difficult. I eat an almond banana smoothie for breakfast or sauteed cabbage/kale/spinach/arugula with s piece of turkey bacon (nitrate free organic) with a sweet potato sometimes too. I eat salads for lunch with veggies and advocate , and meat and veggies for dinner. It's easy once you get used to it. I snack on fresh fruits and sometimes dried fruits. I'd like to consume less fruit sugars but I really can't take more out of my diet. I even eat fava beans for breakfast drizzled with olive oil and lemon juice salt and cumin and it's delicious. I do eat eggs sometimes but they bother my stomach which my allergist believes is because they eat so much grains themselves.

I'm another one. I have a "break day" once every 3 months though.

I don't eat starches for the most part either. If I'm running low on crabs for the day then I make fresh vegetable juice to up it, sometimes I eat a little bit of nuts afterwards to control my blood sugar.

I didn't get it from a book or anything though, I came to this conclusion from my own experiments on myself over the years.

I'm another one. I have a "break day" once every 3 months though.

I don't eat starches for the most part either. If I'm running low on crabs for the day then I make fresh vegetable juice to up it, sometimes I eat a little bit of nuts afterwards to control my blood sugar.

I didn't get it from a book or anything though, I came to this conclusion from my own experiments on myself over the years.

I have switched off of most carbs to meats, veggies, some fruits etc. Due to my bladder problems I don't eat any citrus fruits but I will have blueberries in a smoothie etc. sometimes melon. I eat wild salmon several times a week, talapia, eggs once in a while and a slice or two of non-cured bacon with breakfast or lunch for the feeling of fullness.

So far I went down 10 pounds and I can fit into my jeans again, so thats a plus. The paleo diet not too bad if you can feel full on good fats I think.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Forum Statistics

• Total Topics
    • Total Posts
  • Topics

• Thank you everyone! Good to know I am not alone with this. I am asking for a referral to a new cardio. Hopefully it will all go away the longer I am gluten-free. It started up in February/March after a gluten challenge and mostly vanished until July when I had a lot of shortness of breath. It absolutely was CRAZY just a few days after the glutening. I was gasping for breath and the beats were all over the place just walking through a parking garage and I was only mildy anemic at the time.   But it seems to "quiver" and do funny things for a bit still. I sort of theorized maybe it was inflammation in the heart because after this last glutening, my head felt like it was in a vice and my eyes would sting or get stabbing pain hurt (that is finally going away thankfully...knock on wood).  The head/eye pressure I learned also happens to my sibling who has celiac and his naturopath told him that sometimes the brain gets inflamed. Hopefully I can meet the new cardio soon and feel confident that he is taking me seriously. It is sort of difficult to feel confident in the opinion of a doctor that your ticker is ok when they are not really listening and end up making you cry. LOL. A friend of mine in the mental health field recently listened to my story of doc after doc and test after test and said that it was akin to the folk story of blind men describing an elephant. A group of blind men all feel one part of an elephant (tusk, tail, ear, tail) and then compare notes only to find they all disagree.  In some  versions they argue intensely. In other versions they have to collaborate and listen to each other in order to "describe" an elephant.    
    • Good afternoon! I am new to this board and fairly new to researching Celiac Disease, although I had a general idea what it was. My health has become a huge mystery to me, and it's one that I am desperate to solve. The biggest issue right now is horrible, life affecting fatigue. I have been dealing with it for several years now- as many as 5 to 6. It has gotten progressively worse, and nothing at all helps. Sleep apnea has been ruled out. Intestinal issues are something I have dealt with for almost two decades. I'm 45, but I've already had two colonoscopies as well as two endoscopies. My first endoscopy was as a child for persistent, severe stomach pain. My last colonoscopy and endoscopy was two years ago. The only thing that has come from those is an Irritable Bowel type condition and GERD, which is pretty bad. My bowel movements have always been crazy. They can be very normal and healthy to completely crazy. I've had periods of persistent diarrhea to occasional constipation, which is a fairly new thing within the last year. Last week, I went from having diarrhea that morning to hard, round balls of stool by that evening. My most common stools here lately, though, are not quite diarrhea, but more fluffy, large piles. Gas is an ongoing, daily issue for me. I have copious amounts of gas every day no matter what I eat or drink. Most of the gas in non-odorous but it can be very loud. I am currently on a total of 60 mg of Ritalin per day just to function. I often add energy pills, purchased from places such as GNC, because the Ritalin isn't working. Yesterday, I took both doses of Ritalin and two energy pills, and I passed out on the couch after work. I work from 7:30am to 3:30pm, and my work day is nothing too crazy. I try to keep very consistent sleep hours and could easily sleep to 1:00pm or longer if I don't have to get up for something. I sometimes have short periods of energy in the mornings, but that is usually over by noon. The quality of my life is greatly affected. I don't want to go anywhere or do anything because I am way too tired. I'm trying to keep up with my exercising, but that is also a struggle.  I have a history of clinical depression for practically all my adulthood, but it has been very well managed for the last four years. The fatigue is currently causing a great deal of depression, but it is very different from the clinical depression that I use to deal with. When I don't feel sleepy and tired, I don't feel depressed. When the fatigue sets in, I feel very irritable and sad. I realize that the stimulants can cause irritability, but I don't feel irritable or sad when I'm not feeling fatigued.  I've only recently began to explore that the fatigue and the intestinal issues could be related. I have always accepted that I have a sensitive, cooky digestive track. The increasing, unrelenting fatigue is what has lead me to exploring the possibility that everything could be related. I did have blood work last November. My doctor did not test for anything Celiac Disease specific, but she did do a Vitamin D, ferritin level and overall metabolic panel. All of that is normal. My thyroid level is also normal, and I do take thyroid hormone because I had half of my thyroid removed 11 years ago due to what turned out to be a benign thyroid tumor.  I just saw my doctor two weeks ago, and she increased the dosage of my Ritalin. That has not helped at all. She has never mentioned Celiac Disease to me before. I made an appointment for this Friday afternoon to talk about it, but I keep wondering if I'm even heading in a direction that makes sense. I decided to post here for some guidance. I'm sorry this has been so long. I'm not really into cutting something totally out of my diet just to see what happens. I also feel like that if I have something that is poisoning my system, I need a real clinical diagnosis of that. I feel like maybe I'm grasping at straws now and imagining a correlation that isn't there. I am not looking for a quick fix, but right now I have no idea what needs to be fixed. I am open to any information and/or suggestions. Thanks so much!   Jennifer
    • Celiac disease sufferers or those who embrace a life without gluten can check out Canada's Gluten-Free Market when it makes stops in London and ... View the full article
    • I too have heart palps, flutters, skips whatever you want to call them. Ecg shows nothing. I was told by my doctor it is due to my low iron which is due to celiac. They pretty much went away after being gluten-free. But occasionally do come back. I've actually been having them for the past 3 days. But I was glutened with really severe reaction about a week ago so not sure if its due to that. Or if iron is low right now. I am on supplements but it still goes up and down. I hear you about doctors. It seems if you don't do research yourself or ask questions they don't say or do or test for anything. 
    • For a number of years pre diagnosis I had irregular heartbeats - anything from a fluttering type thing to seemingly skipping one or more beats to rapid beats to something like a short drum riff. I had multiple ECG's which didn't find anything odd. It never did it when I was at the doctors or getting the ECG's. Sometimes it seemed to pound very hard & rapid, at these times I discovered if I just laid down flat on my back, it would restore normal rhythm almost instantly. These things happened at random whether I was at rest, sitting, standing, running or working hard. It was always short lived -- lasting only 1 to several seconds, perhaps the longest was close to a minute. I too have little faith in docs as I've had my share of being blown off, to misdiagnoses. The whole heart thing quit after I had been gluten-free for a while but if I get glutened, it returns.
  • Upcoming Events

• Blog Entries

• Recent Status Updates

• Who's Online (See full list)

• Member Statistics

• Total Members
    • Most Online

Newest Member
    jelefr