57 replies to this topic

#1 lovetapioca

lovetapioca

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 21 posts

Posted 04 April 2012 - 04:32 PM

I had my teeth cleaned yesterday and had a bad reaction. 27 hours later I am starting to get better. I don't see how it could be anything else I ate that day. Has anyone had a similar problem? If so, what type of professional cleaning product should I ask for? I react easily to any small amount of gluten and have to read all labels or I pay for it with a reaction.

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 Marilyn R

Marilyn R

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,486 posts

Posted 04 April 2012 - 05:19 PM

I had that happen about 18 months ago!

I called the hygenist and told her about the "allergic" reaction. She gave me a list of every product, complete with mfg. she used. I spent quite a bit of time researching. I called her back and told her I thought it was the gum numbing agent. I can't remember the name of the product or manufacturer, but it was pina colada flavored. (I'm not allergic or sensitive to coconut or pinapple, rum for that matter.)

I get my teeth cleaned every four months and haven't had another problem. There's a note in my chart not to use that product, if you like I can call her to get the name and mfg, but I'd really recommend calling your hygenist. What bugs me may not bug you. Good luck!
Positive improvement from elimination diet. Mother dx'd by Mayo Clinic in late 1980s. Negative blood tests and Upper & Lower GI biopsy. Parathyroidectomy 12/09. Recurring high calcium level 4/10. Gluten-free 4/10. Soy & Dairy Free 6/10. Corn free 7/10. Grain free except rice 8/10. Legume free 6/11. Fighting the battle of the battle within myself, and I'm going to win!

As of 2/12, tolerating dairy, corn, legumes and some soy, but I limit soy to tamari sauce or modest soy additives. Won't ever try quinoa again!

Discoid Lupus from skin biopsy 2011, discovered 2/12 when picking up medical records. Systemic Lupus Dx 6/12. Shingles 10/12.

#3 love2travel

love2travel

Čeznem da se u Hrvatskoj!

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,847 posts

Posted 04 April 2012 - 05:42 PM

I use Oral B fluoride rinse recommended by my dental hygienist as it is gluten free. My dental office cannot be 100% certain that their products are gluten free and do not want to use them on me (as per my last visit, anyway). You can get the rinse in daily or weekly formulations. Nice between cleanings. In fact, I only need to go once a year now!
<p>Confirmed celiac disease February 2011 from biopsies. Strictly gluten free March 18 2011.Diagnosed with fibromyalgia April 13 2011.3 herniated discs, myofascial pain syndrome, IT band syndrome, 2 rotator cuff injuries - from an accident Dec. 07 - resulting in chronic pain ever since. Degenerative disc disease.Osteoarthritis in back and hips.Chronic insomnia mostly due to chronic pain.Aspartame free May 2011.

When our lives are squeezed by pressure and pain, what comes out is what is inside.

#4 lovetapioca

lovetapioca

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 21 posts

Posted 04 April 2012 - 05:55 PM

I will call my dentist's office back, but since my next cleaning appointment isn't until October I feel I have some time to do a little research first. Especially if it turns out they may be the type to "snicker" at the problem. Sad, but even in the medical community it can happen. I have quite a bit of elective dental work to have done before this time, if I so decide. I want to make sure it is something to do with the cleaning and not something else that may be used during the dental work.

Thank you. I will check out the gum numbing agent. Especially since this may be the same as they give before they give the shot. I wonder if this is in the toothpaste for sensitive teeth. Just a thought and something I will check out.

Since our mouth is only rinsed partially when our teeth are cleaned, we do swallow quite a bit of the cleaning product whether we realize it or not. I am so sensitive that just having it in my mouth is enough for me to have a gluten reaction.

I appreciate all comments.

#5 pricklypear1971

pricklypear1971

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,684 posts

Posted 04 April 2012 - 06:40 PM

My dentist is experienced with fielding gluten-free issues. I'm not their first patient. They know what is/isn't gluten-free.

If your dentist gives you push-back, find another.
Apparently there is nothing that cannot happen today. ~ Mark Twain

Probable Endometriosis, in remission from childbirth since 2002.
Hashimoto's DX 2005.
Gluten-Free since 6/2011.
DH (and therefore Celiac) dx from ND
Responsive to iodine withdrawal for DH (see quote, above).

Genetic tests reveal half DQ2, half DQ8 - I'm a weird bird!

#6 Gemini

Gemini

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,154 posts

Posted 05 April 2012 - 07:55 AM

I will call my dentist's office back, but since my next cleaning appointment isn't until October I feel I have some time to do a little research first. Especially if it turns out they may be the type to "snicker" at the problem. Sad, but even in the medical community it can happen. I have quite a bit of elective dental work to have done before this time, if I so decide. I want to make sure it is something to do with the cleaning and not something else that may be used during the dental work.

Thank you. I will check out the gum numbing agent. Especially since this may be the same as they give before they give the shot. I wonder if this is in the toothpaste for sensitive teeth. Just a thought and something I will check out.

Since our mouth is only rinsed partially when our teeth are cleaned, we do swallow quite a bit of the cleaning product whether we realize it or not. I am so sensitive that just having it in my mouth is enough for me to have a gluten reaction.

I appreciate all comments.

I have had more dental work than most people, due to Celiac related teeth issues. I have done extensive research on dental products and have to say, I never found any that contained anything remotely related to gluten. Dental products do make use of gums and I had a severe reaction after having an impression done for a new tooth. It was the gum that got me. I get my teeth cleaned every 3 months and have never had a reaction from a cleaning. Unless you are in another country other than the US, most dental offices use one of a few dental products out there. I use flavored toothpastes at the dentist and researched them, which means I called company reps and they were very helpful. No gluten.

Some of the ingredients used in these products might be hard on a Celiac's delicate digestive tract and that is much more likely to be the problem. They do not put gluten derived products in numbing agents either. I am very sensitive to trace amounts of gluten so would definitely have a reaction if there was any amount of gluten in a product.

#7 Bubba's Mom

Bubba's Mom

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,457 posts

Posted 05 April 2012 - 12:21 PM

I've had my share of dental work. When I was first DXed I was due for a cleaning and check-up. When I called to make the appointment I told the Dentist about my DX and asked if she could check for gluten ingredients. She was glad I mentioned it ahead of time so she could check and said there was nothing that should bother me when I went in.

I just got a crown redone too, and didn't react to anything...other than the bill. :o

*A funny side note...my Dentist questioned if I had any autoimmune issues because of the enamel on my teeth long before any Dr. Dxed Celiac!

#8 Marilyn R

Marilyn R

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,486 posts

Posted 05 April 2012 - 06:06 PM

I've had my share of dental work. When I was first DXed I was due for a cleaning and check-up. When I called to make the appointment I told the Dentist about my DX and asked if she could check for gluten ingredients. She was glad I mentioned it ahead of time so she could check and said there was nothing that should bother me when I went in.

I just got a crown redone too, and didn't react to anything...other than the bill. :o

*A funny side note...my Dentist questioned if I had any autoimmune issues because of the enamel on my teeth long before any Dr. Dxed Celiac!

Wow, that's very interesting! I'm just dying to know how long before you got diagnosed that he asked that!
Positive improvement from elimination diet. Mother dx'd by Mayo Clinic in late 1980s. Negative blood tests and Upper & Lower GI biopsy. Parathyroidectomy 12/09. Recurring high calcium level 4/10. Gluten-free 4/10. Soy & Dairy Free 6/10. Corn free 7/10. Grain free except rice 8/10. Legume free 6/11. Fighting the battle of the battle within myself, and I'm going to win!

As of 2/12, tolerating dairy, corn, legumes and some soy, but I limit soy to tamari sauce or modest soy additives. Won't ever try quinoa again!

Discoid Lupus from skin biopsy 2011, discovered 2/12 when picking up medical records. Systemic Lupus Dx 6/12. Shingles 10/12.

#9 lovetapioca

lovetapioca

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 21 posts

Posted 05 April 2012 - 09:42 PM

I will call my dentist to make sure just in case there was a type of problem. Whatever it is, something happened that caused a major problem that day and was definitely a gluten reaction. Today I ate everything I had that day again and no problem. I had only eaten at home that day and today and I keep no gluten in my house...that I know of. However, there could always be surprises. Things get on our hands and even could be on the gloves at the office...they may have just eaten something with the gloves...something that simple like a cookie when her gloves were on would be enough to do me in. I love leading a normal life which isn't easy with being Celiac and having MS. But the way I do it is thru knowledge of what is happening to me and knowing what is causing it and kicking it off...That is why I was so happy to find this site.

Thank you all for your help!

#10 dilettantesteph

dilettantesteph

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,035 posts

Posted 06 April 2012 - 05:49 AM

I am extremely sensitive and have had problems the last three times I went. My hygenist is very sympathetic and careful. The first time I noticed a reaction it was a bad one. Before the next cleaning I called the office and she researched it carefully. The second time she only used water and unpowdered gloves and I still had a minor reaction. It was also pretty uncomfortable as I have sensitive teeth. The third time she used the products and the reaction was also minor. I'm not sure what to do for the next time except to make sure that I don't have anything important to do the next day.

#11 IrishHeart

IrishHeart

Warrior Princess

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,558 posts

Posted 06 April 2012 - 06:17 AM

I can honestly say that I always feel lousy for several days after major dental work because I have trouble with the "caines". (You know, lidocaine, novacaine, etc) Dental molds also gave me grief--but I THINK it is the gums they use.

My dentist assures me there is no gluten in the materials and I trust his judgement. He told me has other celiac patients (long before I came to his practice) and they have not reported any problems to him. I am just very sensitive to drugs.

I react rather quickly to trace gluten, and I have not had any problems post-cleaning.

However, something did not agree with you, that's for sure. I would like to think your dental hygenist changed gloves before working on you (so no crumbs--- or anything for that matter :blink: --could get in your mouth) but it could't hurt to ask her to please change them before working on you next time.

"Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is. The way we cope with it makes the difference." Virginia Satir

"The strongest of all warriors are these two - time and patience." Leo Tolstoy

"If you want to lift yourself up, lift up someone else" Booker T. Washington

“If idiots could fly, the sky would be like an airport.”― Laura Davenport 

"Do or do not. There is no try. "-  Yoda.

"LTES"  Gem 2014

Misdiagnosed for 25+ years; Finally Diagnosed with Celiac  11/01/10.  Double DQ2 genes. This thing tried to kill me. I view Celiac as a fire breathing dragon --and I have run my sword right through his throat.
I. Win. bliss-smiley-emoticon.gif

#12 birdie22

birdie22

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 257 posts

Posted 06 April 2012 - 07:12 AM

At my last cleaning my hygienist used just ground pumice and water. It's not flavored and really like having your teeth cleaned with chalk, but I could at least rest easy knowing it was gluten-free. Otherwise they use a "sand blast" type instrument and she wasn't sure if the starchy material (Cavitron Jet Fresh Densply) had gluten or not. I've tried contacting Cavitron about it and have never gotten a reply to phone or email inquiries.
Diagnosed NCGS April 2012 after battling headaches, canker sores, bloating, heartburn, epigastric pain, buzzed feeling, extreme fatigue, muscle aches, and nausea since November 2010.

gluten-free since November 2011

#13 kareng

kareng

Gobble! Gobble!

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,242 posts

Posted 06 April 2012 - 07:29 AM

This is kind of gross & I have no actual scientific basis...its just a gross thought. Is is possible that there was some gluten from the old gluteny days stuck in the teeth and covered in that stuff they scrape off? the first time I went, I felt glutened all day after. But not any of the times since.

Yuck! :ph34r:

Thanksgiving dinners take 18 hours to prepare.  They are consumed in 12 minutes.  Half-times take 12 minutes.  This is not a coincidence.  - Emma Bombeck

dancing-turkey.gif

#14 krystynycole

krystynycole

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 228 posts

Posted 06 April 2012 - 07:37 AM

This is kind of gross & I have no actual scientific basis...its just a gross thought. Is is possible that there was some gluten from the old gluteny days stuck in the teeth and covered in that stuff they scrape off? the first time I went, I felt glutened all day after. But not any of the times since.

Yuck! :ph34r:

That actually makes a lot of sense! Especially for those who don't floss well or often.

Gluten Free since November 2010 and feeling fantastic!

(Mis)diagnosis with IBS in 2004
MSG and caffeine free since 2001

#15 IrishHeart

IrishHeart

Warrior Princess

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,558 posts

Posted 06 April 2012 - 08:07 AM

:o gasp! I cannot imagine our Karen being a slip-shod flimsy flosser! :lol:

(try to say that three times!)

"Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is. The way we cope with it makes the difference." Virginia Satir

"The strongest of all warriors are these two - time and patience." Leo Tolstoy

"If you want to lift yourself up, lift up someone else" Booker T. Washington

“If idiots could fly, the sky would be like an airport.”― Laura Davenport 

"Do or do not. There is no try. "-  Yoda.

"LTES"  Gem 2014

Misdiagnosed for 25+ years; Finally Diagnosed with Celiac  11/01/10.  Double DQ2 genes. This thing tried to kill me. I view Celiac as a fire breathing dragon --and I have run my sword right through his throat.
I. Win. bliss-smiley-emoticon.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: