This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Help Celiac.com:
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Teeth Cleaning At Dentist's

lovetapioca

IrishHeart Veteran

If you look at the MSDS sheet for both Peridex and Periguard products, they both contain almost the exact same ingredients. I could find nothing suspect in the ingredients listing, however, they are listed as a GI irritant and some people may experience stomach upset and diarrhea. I think it's another case of no gluten but bad for those with sensitive stomachs. In fact, if you read the MSDS, it's pretty scary stuff. I always pass on dental rinses anyway.

I brush my teeth before each visit and it's up to them to keep their hands clean with the use of gloves. Dentists are pretty careful these days because they could end up getting sick from their patients. It's not just gluten you have to worry about.

Well, that explains a LOT. :rolleyes:

I had to use the Peridex quite a bit-- post surgeries-- last summer and fall and I kept feeling lousy. As I said previously, I am sure it is not gluten, but post-dental work always gives me a few bad days stomach & bowel- wise. Thanks for the added info!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Gemini Experienced

Well, that explains a LOT. :rolleyes:

I had to use the Peridex quite a bit-- post surgeries-- last summer and fall and I kept feeling lousy. As I said previously, I am sure it is not gluten, but post-dental work always gives me a few bad days stomach & bowel- wise. Thanks for the added info!

I always use a good old fashioned salt water rinse and it works just as well as any of the nuclear stuff they try to ply you with. When will they learn? :rolleyes:

I think that those who hate dental work, and who doesn't, suffer from a case of the nerves after. That could upset your stomach.

I get rigid in the chair sometimes also and that can mess you up the next day. I am hammered after a tooth is pulled, in preparation for an implant. And now that studies have shown a link between dental x-rays and non-cancerous brain tumors, life gets even more fun! :blink: Why is everyone so fearful of gluten when doctors and dentists kill us slowly from side effects of treatment? :ph34r:

IrishHeart Veteran

I always use a good old fashioned salt water rinse and it works just as well as any of the nuclear stuff they try to ply you with. When will they learn? :rolleyes:

I think that those who hate dental work, and who doesn't, suffer from a case of the nerves after. That could upset your stomach.

I get rigid in the chair sometimes also and that can mess you up the next day. I am hammered after a tooth is pulled, in preparation for an implant. And now that studies have shown a link between dental x-rays and non-cancerous brain tumors, life gets even more fun! :blink: Why is everyone so fearful of gluten when doctors and dentists kill us slowly from side effects of treatment? :ph34r:

Yes! I agree--the good old salt water rinse--worked on my mouth sores pre-DX, too. I'm with you!

I was thinking..... My aunt only brushed with baking soda her whole life and had great teeth. I think we have too many substances going IN our mouths period.

Sadly, though, we need the docs, dentists and Xrays sometimes....

can't get around them. :rolleyes:

Marilyn R Community Regular

I refused ex-rays for two years, but finally allowed my dear hygenist to take them. I have to go back because I have a large cavity. She is a blessed soul. I tried to put them off again and she sweet talked me into taking the x-rays. She promised she'd take them really fast and if I'd concentrate on breathing through my nose I'd be okay. At the end, she didn't make me close my mouth, and that was better. She could hold that thingamjig in my mouth and I could stay perfectly still with my mouth open. (I guess I'm a mouth breather.) I made her promise to call me ahead of time if she ever decides to leave the practice. She assured me that she will retire there. She's a good egg, and I've never been sick since that time I mentioned 18 months ago. I remember that MSDS from my research, that is some scary stuff.

squirmingitch Veteran

I had a crown mold done & felt crappy for a day or two after. Just general crappiness sort of flu-ish but no fever. I wondered if I was going to have a gluten reaction b/c I felt so yukky but no reaction other than feeling lousy. I had a root canal & told the endodontist about being celiac & he assured me there was no gluten in anything he uses. I had zero problems with that. IH, I always ask them for the plain pumice & yes, they have it. I have such a strong nerve reaction when the sweet stuff goes on that I just about leave the chair & go through the ceiling so I have for 10 years asked for plain pumice.

IrishHeart Veteran

IH, I always ask them for the plain pumice & yes, they have it. I have such a strong nerve reaction when the sweet stuff goes on that I just about leave the chair & go through the ceiling so I have for 10 years asked for plain pumice.

Thanks for the tip! ;)

lovetapioca Rookie

No, there couldn't be any old gluten stuck in my teeth and released by the cleaning. I have the type of teeth that I have to floss every single time I eat something. So tired of it. I also have my teeth cleaned at least twice a year, I have a water pick to remove anything I have missed with my brushing, etc. I brush several times a day also. I still think the cleaning agent may have had something since I swallowed so much of it. She rinsed my mouth, but not well and it did not all come out with the suction thing. I also had the full x-rays so had the guard in my mouth but that looked like just plastic.

If I find anything out, good or bad from the dentist, I will post again at that time.

Thank everyone for your assistance!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

• 2 weeks later...
IrishHeart Veteran

IH, I always ask them for the plain pumice & yes, they have it. I have such a strong nerve reaction when the sweet stuff goes on that I just about leave the chair & go through the ceiling so I have for 10 years asked for plain pumice.

So....I went to the dentist today and the hygenist tells me: " I'm the one who researched all the products we use when you came here last year. The Dr. was worried about you. I am glad I am doing your cleaning today." Before I can ask, she says " I am only going to use pumice, okay?" :)

She says she will not use the mint floss as she could not get a straight answer from anyone. I said I use plain anyway, so thanks!

Then she says, "You look so much better!" (I interpret that as....compared to the old sickly hag that used to drag herself here... :lol: )

aw....Thank yew, I smile.

and then, for 1 1/2 hours..... I heard her story. She is a "mini-me" :blink: ---and the tragedy is? She went to my former GI, too!!! :angry:

Yup, she's one of us....no doubt in my mind!!......Another referral to my awesome GI. (and they call me the Celiac Whisperer...)

Pumice works great. No flavor, no grit, no "space cadet head".

Thanks for the suggestion!! xxoo IH

Bubba's Mom Enthusiast

So....I went to the dentist today and the hygenist tells me: " I'm the one who researched all the products we use when you came here last year. The Dr. was worried about you. I am glad I am doing your cleaning today." Before I can ask, she says " I am only going to use pumice, okay?" :)

She says she will not use the mint floss as she could not get a straight answer from anyone. I said I use plain anyway, so thanks!

Then she says, "You look so much better!" (I interpret that as....compared to the old sickly hag that used to drag herself here... :lol: )

aw....Thank yew, I smile.

and then, for 1 1/2 hours..... I heard her story. She is a "mini-me" :blink: ---and the tragedy is? She went to my former GI, too!!! :angry:

Yup, she's one of us....no doubt in my mind!!......Another referral to my awesome GI. (and they call me the Celiac Whisperer...)

Pumice works great. No flavor, no grit, no "space cadet head".

Thanks for the suggestion!! xxoo IH

I'm glad everything went ok at the Dentist. Pretty ironic that the gal that checked for gluten may have a problem with it too?

I was at the Dentist today too. Broke a molar in half on Saturday. Dentist put some "bondo" type stuff in to fill the missing area on Monday. We had to wait for it to completely harden so I went back today to get the impressions for a crown. So far, the topical novacaine, injected novacaine, bondo, crown impression goo, and temporary cap all seem to be gluten-free and ok? :blink:

Michelle1234 Contributor

I'm not sure if anyone posted this but the flavorings in the polishing compound often contain gluten. Plain pumice does not so ask for that. If they don't have it don't let them polish your teeth.

IrishHeart Veteran

I'm not sure if anyone posted this but the flavorings in the polishing compound often contain gluten. Plain pumice does not so ask for that. If they don't have it don't let them polish your teeth.

Actually, some posters have said that they researched this extensively and they don't.

Do you know which flavorings DO? That would be a big help!

Thanks.

Bubba's Mom Enthusiast

I'm glad everything went ok at the Dentist. Pretty ironic that the gal that checked for gluten may have a problem with it too?

I was at the Dentist today too. Broke a molar in half on Saturday. Dentist put some "bondo" type stuff in to fill the missing area on Monday. We had to wait for it to completely harden so I went back today to get the impressions for a crown. So far, the topical novacaine, injected novacaine, bondo, crown impression goo, and temporary cap all seem to be gluten-free and ok? :blink:

I guess I spoke too soon? I got a bit of a reaction to something? I got chest pains during the night and was a bit more off balance than usual yesterday. Mood swings too..just crabby in general. Not quite as bad as a glutening though? I'm wondering if it was the impression goo? She did 3 impressions, whereas the time before she only made one, and I had no reaction. Curious. :unsure:

IrishHeart Veteran

I guess I spoke too soon? I got a bit of a reaction to something? I got chest pains during the night and was a bit more off balance than usual yesterday. Mood swings too..just crabby in general. Not quite as bad as a glutening though? I'm wondering if it was the impression goo? She did 3 impressions, whereas the time before she only made one, and I had no reaction. Curious. :unsure:

Could be. They bother me and GEMINI, too--but there is NO gluten in them-lots of gums, though. It passes quickly.

Bubba's Mom Enthusiast

Could be. They bother me and GEMINI, too--but there is NO gluten in them-lots of gums, though. It passes quickly.

I hadn't thought of gums..but that makes sense. My reaction seems to be much less today. My mood/balance has improved a lot. I was so crabby last night...I couldn't stand myself! LOL

I'm SO glad the reaction doesn't last real long! I'm pretty sure my dental issues are here to stay, so it will always be an issue? :(

IrishHeart Veteran

I hadn't thought of gums..but that makes sense. My reaction seems to be much less today. My mood/balance has improved a lot. I was so crabby last night...I couldn't stand myself! LOL

I'm SO glad the reaction doesn't last real long! I'm pretty sure my dental issues are here to stay, so it will always be an issue? :(

I don't know. I feel bad after lots of work. Molds, novacaine, that sort of thing.

Yesterday, only pumice for my cleaning...and I feel fine!

Gemini Experienced

Bubba's Mom.....you had the exact same experience I did when I had a reaction. They did multiple impressions for an implant and I had a bad reaction on the way home. I almost had to pull the car over and sit there by the side of the road, it was so pronounced. The next time they did an impression, they really were careful and I only needed one impression and suffered no reaction. You know what happens with that stuff....as it sits in your mouth hardening, you produce more saliva and start swallowing to keep from choking. If I get a big enough hit with gums, it mimics a gluten reaction.

This is when I extensively researched dental products. Spent a month calling reps and companies and got some useful information out of them. They are aware of this problem with gluten and all reps told me that it is not a component that is added to or used by dental product companies. They are heavy on the gums.....guar, xanthan and others I hadn't heard of before. No gluten. Flavorings are not a problem. In fact, most Celiac organizations will tell you that flavorings are becoming another Celiac myth. Of course any one with this disease should check their products but after 7 years gluten-free and having enough dental work done to send my dentists kids through college, :blink: , I have yet to find any product with gluten.

I had one reaction in 7 years and it was the gums. If you try to keep impressions to a minimum, then you may not react all the time when you go to the dentist. It is such a crap shoot, unfortunately.

• 4 weeks later...
farmer jennings Newbie

When I go to my dentist I just bring a small container of baking soda for polishing. The salt it it will help to soothe any sore areas and I get a great polish.

1desperateladysaved Proficient

My dentist noticed the enamel off my teeth when I was about 20. It must have happened when I was 16 or 17 when I had braces. Where glue had been the enamel had been kept safe. I was diagnosed with Gluten intolerance when I was 48!

I realized lately that I react to the teeth cleaning. Even if I have been flossing regularly, the hygentists flossing draws blood. I wonder if our bodies dump gluten out in our mouths. My hygentist alway carries on about the condition in my mouth. No matter if I floss and brush they always complain. I think I might go back now and explain what has been discovered about me. The dentist said 6 years back that usually a person with so much teeth trouble has an autoimmune diesease.

Maybe they could use something to prevent scrapings from going down the throat. He use to use something to keep mercury filling pieces from going down. It sort of looked like a balloon and fitted over the teeth. I can't recall the name of it. Rubber dam Maybe?

Best wishes to you all and your teeth.

IrishHeart Veteran

I realized lately that I react to the teeth cleaning. Even if I have been flossing regularly, the hygentists flossing draws blood. I wonder if our bodies dump gluten out in our mouths. My hygentist alway carries on about the condition in my mouth. No matter if I floss and brush they always complain. I think I might go back now and explain what has been discovered about me. The dentist said 6 years back that usually a person with so much teeth trouble has an autoimmune diesease.

If your dentist was savvy enough to know that dental issues arise from AI diseases, it's too bad he did not mention celiac disease in particular. But at least he was in the ball park.

When I told my dentist the association between malabsorption, Vitamin C deficiency, celiac disease and dental enamel loss and periodontal disease, he looked truly dumbfounded. <_<

If they taught this fact in dental school, they could see it in a child's enamel and spare someone a lifetime of grief.

Vitamin C deficiency from long unDxed celiac disease may be why your gums are sensitive and easily bleed from flossing. But if they do not bleed when you floss, only when she does, I'd say your hygenist is being too aggressive. :unsure:

In all I have researched about this disease, nowhere have I read that our bodies "dump gluten into our mouths".

lovetapioca Rookie

It is interesting about the enamel problem. I have always had problems with thin enamel on my teeth. I am not sure of some areas are thinner than others. 3 of my children (now grown) all have my type of teeth. Poor kids had so much pain and dental work done when they were small. Now I have grandkids and I know that at least one of them also inherited this problem. I have MS besides Celiac. I have not thought about the correlation between the two. I will contact my children and mention it in case they would like to mention this to their doctor.

• 1 year later...
kmhbt Newbie

I am having a terrible time finding a dentist who understands.  Can anyone recommend a Celiac friendly/educated dentist in the DC/Maryland area?

1desperateladysaved Proficient

There were no tricks last time I had my teeth cleaned.  One time I got fooled, by you used this the last time!  I reacted.  I don't know what I reacted to; I am not saying it was gluten.  This time  I got the pumice and I did not react. 

D

kareng Grand Master

I am having a terrible time finding a dentist who understands.  Can anyone recommend a Celiac friendly/educated dentist in the DC/Maryland area?

I haven't run into anything with gluten in the dentists office. You should be fine.

dilettantesteph Collaborator

I think that I have had problems with teeth cleanings, but with the delay between exposure and reaction of 12-24 hours, it is really hard for me to know the source with certainty.  Since I have had them use unflavored pumice I haven't had problems.  

• 1 month later...
CaliSparrow Collaborator

The last time I went to the dentist, I got shingles twice in a two-month period. That was when I was still eating gluten so I doubt it had to do with gluten in products (though now I know to ask about that!). My immune system was in such lousy condition that I believe it was just the trauma of the dental cleaning that made me so sick.

I haven't been back since and that was in 2012!

Archived