57 replies to this topic

#16 IrishHeart

IrishHeart

Warrior Princess

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,550 posts

Posted 06 April 2012 - 08:09 AM

At my last cleaning my hygienist used just ground pumice and water. It's not flavored and really like having your teeth cleaned with chalk, but I could at least rest easy knowing it was gluten-free.

Interesting. So, do I just request this plain ground pumice next time. They keep this "on hand" do they? I am thinking I may go that route.

"Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is. The way we cope with it makes the difference." Virginia Satir

"The strongest of all warriors are these two - time and patience." Leo Tolstoy

"If you want to lift yourself up, lift up someone else" Booker T. Washington

“If idiots could fly, the sky would be like an airport.”― Laura Davenport 

"Do or do not. There is no try. "-  Yoda.

"LTES"  Gem 2014

Misdiagnosed for 25+ years; Finally Diagnosed with Celiac  11/01/10.  Double DQ2 genes. This thing tried to kill me. I view Celiac as a fire breathing dragon --and I have run my sword right through his throat.
I. Win. bliss-smiley-emoticon.gif

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#17 dilettantesteph

dilettantesteph

Advanced Community Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,035 posts

Posted 07 April 2012 - 05:57 AM

I tell you. I have got to hope that there isn't any 5 year old gluten still sticking to my teeth!!!! :unsure:

#18 Gemini

Gemini

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,142 posts

Posted 09 April 2012 - 08:26 AM

I will call my dentist to make sure just in case there was a type of problem. Whatever it is, something happened that caused a major problem that day and was definitely a gluten reaction. Today I ate everything I had that day again and no problem. I had only eaten at home that day and today and I keep no gluten in my house...that I know of. However, there could always be surprises. Things get on our hands and even could be on the gloves at the office...they may have just eaten something with the gloves...something that simple like a cookie when her gloves were on would be enough to do me in. I love leading a normal life which isn't easy with being Celiac and having MS. But the way I do it is thru knowledge of what is happening to me and knowing what is causing it and kicking it off...That is why I was so happy to find this site.

Thank you all for your help!

No reputable dental office would ever have an employee eating cookies AFTER they out their dental gloves on! :blink:

When I had a reaction to the gums in the dental composite, it was exactly like a gluten reaction. There are things you will react to and it will totally mimic a gluten reaction but isn't. I had one severe reaction in years of regular dental work.
It was the gums. I have not had one since and I probably rank as having one of the highest levels of dental work in the Celiac population...I know I will send my dentist's kid to college. ;) Don't over think this and don't be afraid to go to the dentist. As a Celiac, you'll be a regular there, unfortunately!

#19 Marilyn R

Marilyn R

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,484 posts

Posted 09 April 2012 - 03:54 PM

I have a cleaning tomorrow. I'll ask the hygenist. I'm pretty sure I swallowed a little bit of the numbing agent by mistake. I detest going to the dentist. My parents were poor and elected to not pay for any pain killers, so the dentist would drill away on our teeth sans pain killer. I grip the armrails when I go in there.
Positive improvement from elimination diet. Mother dx'd by Mayo Clinic in late 1980s. Negative blood tests and Upper & Lower GI biopsy. Parathyroidectomy 12/09. Recurring high calcium level 4/10. Gluten-free 4/10. Soy & Dairy Free 6/10. Corn free 7/10. Grain free except rice 8/10. Legume free 6/11. Fighting the battle of the battle within myself, and I'm going to win!

As of 2/12, tolerating dairy, corn, legumes and some soy, but I limit soy to tamari sauce or modest soy additives. Won't ever try quinoa again!

Discoid Lupus from skin biopsy 2011, discovered 2/12 when picking up medical records. Systemic Lupus Dx 6/12. Shingles 10/12.

#20 IrishHeart

IrishHeart

Warrior Princess

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,550 posts

Posted 09 April 2012 - 04:06 PM

I never had novocaine when I was a kid either. The first time a dentist came at me ( as an adult) with a needle to numb me, I said "What the hell is THAT for?? " :ph34r:

Not many of our generation did get novacaine, from what I have learned from others. :unsure:

I think it set me up for real "dental phobia".

I like my dentist personally, but I despise going there. I grip the arm rests, too. UGH!

"Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is. The way we cope with it makes the difference." Virginia Satir

"LTES"  Gem 2014

Misdiagnosed for 25+ years; Finally Diagnosed with Celiac  11/01/10.  Double DQ2 genes. This thing tried to kill me. I view Celiac as a fire breathing dragon --and I have run my sword right through his throat.

#21 IrishHeart

IrishHeart

Warrior Princess

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,550 posts

Posted 09 April 2012 - 04:07 PM

When I had a reaction to the gums in the dental composite, it was exactly like a gluten reaction. There are things you will react to and it will totally mimic a gluten reaction but isn't.

This is EXACTLY what happened to me! Dental molds and any of the "caines"--feels just like I have been glutened. :angry:

"LTES"  Gem 2014

#22 hexon

hexon

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 63 posts

Posted 10 April 2012 - 01:06 PM

I went in for a cleaning a month ago and I commented on how bad the toothpaste they used taste. They said that they had to switch to gluten-free, dye-free toothpaste because so many patients have issues. This was without me ever asking about the ingredients in the toothpaste. So apparently some do contain gluten...or it was just a marketing scheme by some toothpaste manufacturer.

#23 Marilyn R

Marilyn R

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,484 posts

Posted 10 April 2012 - 02:26 PM

I went in for a cleaning a month ago and I commented on how bad the toothpaste they used taste. They said that they had to switch to gluten-free, dye-free toothpaste because so many patients have issues. This was without me ever asking about the ingredients in the toothpaste. So apparently some do contain gluten...or it was just a marketing scheme by some toothpaste manufacturer.

The hygenist said it was the Colgate Perigard, not the gum numbing agent. The active ingredient is Chlorhexidine Gluconate and is manufactured by a number of companies. Before it went generic, it was just known as Perigard by the trade, because they're who introduced it. I have a high gag reflex and I know I swallowed some. In her words, "That's heavy duty stuff". But that's what she wrote down in my chart after I called her back.
Positive improvement from elimination diet. Mother dx'd by Mayo Clinic in late 1980s. Negative blood tests and Upper & Lower GI biopsy. Parathyroidectomy 12/09. Recurring high calcium level 4/10. Gluten-free 4/10. Soy & Dairy Free 6/10. Corn free 7/10. Grain free except rice 8/10. Legume free 6/11. Fighting the battle of the battle within myself, and I'm going to win!

As of 2/12, tolerating dairy, corn, legumes and some soy, but I limit soy to tamari sauce or modest soy additives. Won't ever try quinoa again!

Discoid Lupus from skin biopsy 2011, discovered 2/12 when picking up medical records. Systemic Lupus Dx 6/12. Shingles 10/12.

#24 hexon

hexon

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 63 posts

Posted 10 April 2012 - 07:10 PM

The hygenist said it was the Colgate Perigard, not the gum numbing agent. The active ingredient is Chlorhexidine Gluconate and is manufactured by a number of companies. Before it went generic, it was just known as Perigard by the trade, because they're who introduced it. I have a high gag reflex and I know I swallowed some. In her words, "That's heavy duty stuff". But that's what she wrote down in my chart after I called her back.

After googling Colgate Periogard this is what I came up with http://celiacshack.b...dications.html. Under the list of NON gluten-free drugs, it's listed but dated 3/08. I'm not sure if the patient called the manufacturer or where they got the information. Here is another website that confirms it as of 3/08 http://homepage.mac..../GFmedlist.pdf. Things may have changed since that date, but you would only find out after contacting the manufacturer. It's unlikely that the active ingredient is actually the gluten-containing ingredient.

#25 Gemini

Gemini

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,142 posts

Posted 11 April 2012 - 06:24 AM

If you look at the MSDS sheet for both Peridex and Periguard products, they both contain almost the exact same ingredients. I could find nothing suspect in the ingredients listing, however, they are listed as a GI irritant and some people may experience stomach upset and diarrhea. I think it's another case of no gluten but bad for those with sensitive stomachs. In fact, if you read the MSDS, it's pretty scary stuff. I always pass on dental rinses anyway.
I brush my teeth before each visit and it's up to them to keep their hands clean with the use of gloves. Dentists are pretty careful these days because they could end up getting sick from their patients. It's not just gluten you have to worry about.

#26 IrishHeart

IrishHeart

Warrior Princess

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,550 posts

Posted 11 April 2012 - 06:50 AM

If you look at the MSDS sheet for both Peridex and Periguard products, they both contain almost the exact same ingredients. I could find nothing suspect in the ingredients listing, however, they are listed as a GI irritant and some people may experience stomach upset and diarrhea. I think it's another case of no gluten but bad for those with sensitive stomachs. In fact, if you read the MSDS, it's pretty scary stuff. I always pass on dental rinses anyway.
I brush my teeth before each visit and it's up to them to keep their hands clean with the use of gloves. Dentists are pretty careful these days because they could end up getting sick from their patients. It's not just gluten you have to worry about.

Well, that explains a LOT. :rolleyes:
I had to use the Peridex quite a bit-- post surgeries-- last summer and fall and I kept feeling lousy. As I said previously, I am sure it is not gluten, but post-dental work always gives me a few bad days stomach & bowel- wise. Thanks for the added info!

"LTES"  Gem 2014

#27 Gemini

Gemini

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,142 posts

Posted 11 April 2012 - 07:17 AM

Well, that explains a LOT. :rolleyes:
I had to use the Peridex quite a bit-- post surgeries-- last summer and fall and I kept feeling lousy. As I said previously, I am sure it is not gluten, but post-dental work always gives me a few bad days stomach & bowel- wise. Thanks for the added info!

I always use a good old fashioned salt water rinse and it works just as well as any of the nuclear stuff they try to ply you with. When will they learn? :rolleyes:

I think that those who hate dental work, and who doesn't, suffer from a case of the nerves after. That could upset your stomach.
I get rigid in the chair sometimes also and that can mess you up the next day. I am hammered after a tooth is pulled, in preparation for an implant. And now that studies have shown a link between dental x-rays and non-cancerous brain tumors, life gets even more fun! :blink: Why is everyone so fearful of gluten when doctors and dentists kill us slowly from side effects of treatment? :ph34r:

#28 IrishHeart

IrishHeart

Warrior Princess

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,550 posts

Posted 11 April 2012 - 07:23 AM

I always use a good old fashioned salt water rinse and it works just as well as any of the nuclear stuff they try to ply you with. When will they learn? :rolleyes:

I think that those who hate dental work, and who doesn't, suffer from a case of the nerves after. That could upset your stomach.
I get rigid in the chair sometimes also and that can mess you up the next day. I am hammered after a tooth is pulled, in preparation for an implant. And now that studies have shown a link between dental x-rays and non-cancerous brain tumors, life gets even more fun! :blink: Why is everyone so fearful of gluten when doctors and dentists kill us slowly from side effects of treatment? :ph34r:

Yes! I agree--the good old salt water rinse--worked on my mouth sores pre-DX, too. I'm with you!

I was thinking..... My aunt only brushed with baking soda her whole life and had great teeth. I think we have too many substances going IN our mouths period.

Sadly, though, we need the docs, dentists and Xrays sometimes....
can't get around them. :rolleyes:

"LTES"  Gem 2014

#29 Marilyn R

Marilyn R

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,484 posts

Posted 11 April 2012 - 05:15 PM

I refused ex-rays for two years, but finally allowed my dear hygenist to take them. I have to go back because I have a large cavity. She is a blessed soul. I tried to put them off again and she sweet talked me into taking the x-rays. She promised she'd take them really fast and if I'd concentrate on breathing through my nose I'd be okay. At the end, she didn't make me close my mouth, and that was better. She could hold that thingamjig in my mouth and I could stay perfectly still with my mouth open. (I guess I'm a mouth breather.) I made her promise to call me ahead of time if she ever decides to leave the practice. She assured me that she will retire there. She's a good egg, and I've never been sick since that time I mentioned 18 months ago. I remember that MSDS from my research, that is some scary stuff.

#30 squirmingitch

squirmingitch

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,327 posts

Posted 11 April 2012 - 05:53 PM

I had a crown mold done & felt crappy for a day or two after. Just general crappiness sort of flu-ish but no fever. I wondered if I was going to have a gluten reaction b/c I felt so yukky but no reaction other than feeling lousy. I had a root canal & told the endodontist about being celiac & he assured me there was no gluten in anything he uses. I had zero problems with that. IH, I always ask them for the plain pumice & yes, they have it. I have such a strong nerve reaction when the sweet stuff goes on that I just about leave the chair & go through the ceiling so I have for 10 years asked for plain pumice.

Self diagnosed dh Sept. 2011~~~ confirmed dx July 18, 2012
Gluten free Dec. 2011
Soy free Dec. 2011
Hubs self diagnosed dh March 30, 2012
Hubs gluten free March 30, 2012

Summer 2013 We both have added back a little soy which is near unavoidable & we are doing okay with that small amount.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: