28 replies to this topic

#16 IrishHeart

IrishHeart

Warrior Princess

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,550 posts

Posted 06 April 2012 - 07:48 AM

I have been gluten free since my diagnosis in April 2010. But I have had alot of problems because I had several bad sinus infections, then it was other things that they put me on antibiotics for and that has really caused me alot more trouble...

I see. Sorry, hon. The road to healing is a bumpy ride, isn't it? I always say "Celiac---it ain't for sissies". I am still in some major bone/muscle pain and have a few other issues myself to clear up.

Hopefully, you took PRObiotics after those rounds of ANTibiotics?

Your gut flora is probably very unbalanced. We need those "good guys". ;)

http://thefooddoc.com/probiotic_facts

"Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is. The way we cope with it makes the difference." Virginia Satir

"The strongest of all warriors are these two - time and patience." Leo Tolstoy

"If you want to lift yourself up, lift up someone else" Booker T. Washington

“If idiots could fly, the sky would be like an airport.”― Laura Davenport 

"Do or do not. There is no try. "-  Yoda.

"LTES"  Gem 2014

Misdiagnosed for 25+ years; Finally Diagnosed with Celiac  11/01/10.  Double DQ2 genes. This thing tried to kill me. I view Celiac as a fire breathing dragon --and I have run my sword right through his throat.
I. Win. bliss-smiley-emoticon.gif

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#17 SGRhapsodos

SGRhapsodos

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 54 posts

Posted 06 April 2012 - 05:37 PM

I wonder if the over using antobiotics creates other problems on it's own that aren't related to celiac. I used antibiotics for years to manage acne and I'm very sure they did some damage too. Our intestines are sensitive to begin with, then add all that chemical crap and they get even worse. I hope they're not ruined for life.
On another note, I know a lot of people that thrive on grains, but they don't have celiac. So many people who do have celiac don't feel much better after switching to gluten-free
products and many have gone grain free with good results. I'm not going to say that I'm healed or that I don't have bad days, but at least I'm not sick 5 days out of the week.

#18 quincy

quincy

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 237 posts

Posted 06 April 2012 - 06:24 PM

I wonder if the over using antobiotics creates other problems on it's own that aren't related to celiac. I used antibiotics for years to manage acne and I'm very sure they did some damage too. Our intestines are sensitive to begin with, then add all that chemical crap and they get even worse. I hope they're not ruined for life.
On another note, I know a lot of people that thrive on grains, but they don't have celiac. So many people who do have celiac don't feel much better after switching to gluten-free
products and many have gone grain free with good results. I'm not going to say that I'm healed or that I don't have bad days, but at least I'm not sick 5 days out of the week.

I take probiotics for sure. and yes I think antibiotics mess us up and can perhaps start the celiac damage process. I was taking cipro actually a few months before I began getting abdominal pains to the point where I had to get an endoscopy and thats when they discovered the damage.

#19 SGRhapsodos

SGRhapsodos

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 54 posts

Posted 07 April 2012 - 09:33 AM

Wow! Let me ask you, what probiotics do you take? My dietician recommended acidophilus (liquid form) but I'm afraid to try it b/c every single probiotic I've taken constipates me horribly. I do not want to get more constipated since it's been an ongoing issue since going gluten free.

#20 IrishHeart

IrishHeart

Warrior Princess

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,550 posts

Posted 07 April 2012 - 10:50 AM

Wow! Let me ask you, what probiotics do you take? My dietician recommended acidophilus (liquid form) but I'm afraid to try it b/c every single probiotic I've taken constipates me horribly. I do not want to get more constipated since it's been an ongoing issue since going gluten free.

Acidophilus is only ONE form of probiotics. The human gut has many different strains, so a multi-strain one may be more beneficial to you.

Probiotics should ALLEVIATE constipation and diarrhea by balancing the gut flora, so this perplexes me. :unsure:

hmm...do you drink enough water throughout the day? often constipation results because of too little hydration. (people assume it is not enough fiber)

Two good ones are made by Custom Probiotics and an OTC one called Culturelle (get the Dairy Free one). My GI doc recommended the last one and it is backed by research.

Try a low dose first, then work your way up and drink a LOT of water.

Just a thought! :) IH

"Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is. The way we cope with it makes the difference." Virginia Satir

"LTES"  Gem 2014

Misdiagnosed for 25+ years; Finally Diagnosed with Celiac  11/01/10.  Double DQ2 genes. This thing tried to kill me. I view Celiac as a fire breathing dragon --and I have run my sword right through his throat.

#21 Nadia2009

Nadia2009

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 194 posts

Posted 07 April 2012 - 06:57 PM

The Internet guy from Texas isn't the only one to say all grains are bad for your health. Even Loren Cordain the paleo Dr says that grains even things like quinoa are not so healthy. I think I read rice is the least bad.
I skimmed that book quickly and maybe missed certain things but in the paleo diet from Cordain, even white potatoes and sweet potatoes aren't friendly food (for anyone not just for celiacs). Is there another paleo diet custom made for celiacs?
Right now, I have different intolerances on the top of gluten and I eat potatoes regularly. I was disappointed when reading Cordain's book...there is no ideal diet for gluten intolerant people.
May 2009: IgG abnormal (not tested for full panel)
Sept 2009: Negative blood tests (I was on and off gluten)
Sept 21 2009: gluten free
Sept 21 2011: gluten free for 2 full years
Dec 2012: chronic fatigue and leaky gut.
Feb 2012: IgG reactions to almond, amaranth, sesame, sunflower, dairy, eggs, beans and of course gluten.
March 2012: modified GAPS diet.

#22 quincy

quincy

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 237 posts

Posted 07 April 2012 - 06:59 PM

Acidophilus is only ONE form of probiotics. The human gut has many different strains, so a multi-strain one may be more beneficial to you.

Probiotics should ALLEVIATE constipation and diarrhea by balancing the gut flora, so this perplexes me. :unsure:

hmm...do you drink enough water throughout the day? often constipation results because of too little hydration. (people assume it is not enough fiber)

Two good ones are made by Custom Probiotics and an OTC one called Culturelle (get the Dairy Free one). My GI doc recommended the last one and it is backed by research.

Try a low dose first, then work your way up and drink a LOT of water.

Just a thought! :) IH

I take Ultra Flora DF (dairy free) by MetaGenics. It has bifido, lactobacillus and acidophilus. Its a good one. when you first take a probiotic you can feel a little loose bowel but your body will adapt pretty well. If you have constipation this will help alot.

#23 quincy

quincy

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 237 posts

Posted 07 April 2012 - 07:08 PM

The Internet guy from Texas isn't the only one to say all grains are bad for your health. Even Loren Cordain the paleo Dr says that grains even things like quinoa are not so healthy. I think I read rice is the least bad.
I skimmed that book quickly and maybe missed certain things but in the paleo diet from Cordain, even white potatoes and sweet potatoes aren't friendly food (for anyone not just for celiacs). Is there another paleo diet custom made for celiacs?
Right now, I have different intolerances on the top of gluten and I eat potatoes regularly. I was disappointed when reading Cordain's book...there is no ideal diet for gluten intolerant people.

Yes, I have heard of him as well. I was not aware of the potato being on the bad list though. Millions of asian people eat rice every day and I don't think they have these problems so it makes me question the entire premise. I think it has more to do with the processed foods that we eat that cause inflammation rather than the actual grain (other than gluten for us of course).

#24 mushroom

mushroom

Mushroom

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,448 posts

Posted 07 April 2012 - 07:37 PM

When all is said and done, the tolerance of grains is different for all of us. You know, the old saying, "One man's meat is another man's poison." :rolleyes: In addition to the gluten grains, I do not eat corn, oats, amaranth, millet or quinoa. Not because of choice but because of what they do to me. I do eat rice, sorghum, teff and buckwheat perfectly well. Now we can get into semantics about what are grains and what are seeds or grasses, but I am talking about the commonly accepted gluten substitutes that are not nuts or coconut or potatoes (white or sweet) And I don't know where tapioca and arrowroot belong. :)
Neroli

"Everything that can be counted does not necessarily count; everything that counts cannot necessarily be counted." - Albert Einstein

"Life is not weathering the storm; it is learning to dance in the rain"

"Whatever the question, the answer is always chocolate." Nigella Lawson

------------

Caffeine free 1973
Lactose free 1990
(Mis)diagnosed IBS, fibromyalgia '80's and '90's
Diagnosed psoriatic arthritis 2004
Self-diagnosed gluten intolerant, gluten-free Nov. 2007
Soy free March 2008
Nightshade free Feb 2009
Citric acid free June 2009
Potato starch free July 2009
(Totally) corn free Nov. 2009
Legume free March 2010
Now tolerant of lactose

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#25 Skylark

Skylark

Glutenologist

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,490 posts

Posted 07 April 2012 - 08:44 PM

There is no ideal diet for ANY person. You have to take ideas from the various experts and cobble together a diet on which you feel healthy. :)

#26 IrishHeart

IrishHeart

Warrior Princess

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,550 posts

Posted 08 April 2012 - 05:34 AM

There is no ideal diet for ANY person. You have to take ideas from the various experts and cobble together a diet on which you feel healthy. :)

Agree. There is no "one size fits all" diet, I have concluded.

Everybody is different.

And I go by this ridiculously simple thought for my own "diet":

If it makes me feel lousy in any way, I don't eat it.

"LTES"  Gem 2014

#27 Kjas

Kjas

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 62 posts

Posted 10 April 2012 - 12:25 AM

The others are right.

I seem to be one of the few here who react to any kind of grain, but it's not the same thing as my reactions to gluten. I am definitely in the minority. I can handle a little bit of rice on the rare occasion, but to eat grains everyday, even if it was rice, would definitely have bad reactions for me.

The likelihood of you being like me and needing to avoid all grains is very slim. If something makes you feel bad, then don't eat it, but don't just cut something out that you're not reacting with without a reason to.

#28 SGRhapsodos

SGRhapsodos

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 54 posts

Posted 10 April 2012 - 06:50 PM

I take Ultra Flora DF (dairy free) by MetaGenics. It has bifido, lactobacillus and acidophilus. Its a good one. when you first take a probiotic you can feel a little loose bowel but your body will adapt pretty well. If you have constipation this will help alot.

Thank you! Yes nobody can figure out why I'm getting constipated from probiotics.

#29 SGRhapsodos

SGRhapsodos

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 54 posts

Posted 11 April 2012 - 04:00 AM

Yes, I have heard of him as well. I was not aware of the potato being on the bad list though. Millions of asian people eat rice every day and I don't think they have these problems so it makes me question the entire premise. I think it has more to do with the processed foods that we eat that cause inflammation rather than the actual grain (other than gluten for us of course).

I think it isn't only about processed food but quantity. Asians eat rice WITH their meals. As a hispanic I know most of us make rice half of our plate and that's when we run into trouble. It's processing of foods and excess.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: